Assetto Corsa

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Slikz 8 Nov 2013 18:25:48 250 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Early access now available on Steam for 30.

Anyone played this yet?
  • Maturin 8 Nov 2013 18:36:26 2,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not yet. Am downloading now though.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Nov 2013 08:50:43 35,427 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /stares at Maturin
  • UncleLou Moderator 20 Dec 2013 09:25:11 35,427 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bought this on Steam yesterday - not much of a sale, but anyway. It's still pretty bare-bones (there's no AI, for starters), but the driving, with a wheel at least, is just phenomenally good.

(not my video, but you can "see" the convincing physics in the replay)
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 20 Dec 2013 10:29:48 6,654 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ha, yeah I noticed this on Steam and was going to come on here and ask.

The screenshots look incredible.
  • Slikz 20 Dec 2013 11:40:16 250 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really enjoying this despite using a 360 controller. 458, KTM and M3 are just a pleasure to drive. Can't wait for Spa!
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 20 Dec 2013 11:52:05 6,654 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fuck it, I'm in.
  • UncleLou Moderator 20 Dec 2013 13:57:29 35,427 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Slikz wrote:
    Really enjoying this despite using a 360 controller. 458, KTM and M3 are just a pleasure to drive. Can't wait for Spa!
    Did you change the rumble options? The 360 pad's rumble went mad when I tried it, but my pad is somewhat knackered so that it makes a nasty noise. I didn't experiment because I plugged the wheel in afterwards.

Edited by UncleLou at 13:58:01 20-12-2013
  • Slikz 20 Dec 2013 15:06:25 250 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @UncleLou No, I haven't touched anything it seems fine to me.
  • HitchHiker 21 Dec 2013 17:29:40 2,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really like this. Using my Xbox 360 controller, it's good but I'd like to try a force feedback wheel of some kind. Any recommendations, one that will work with the 360 too and hopefully not going to break the bank?
  • Kostabi 21 Dec 2013 17:41:12 4,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not sure on prices but I know Fanatec wheels support both PC and 360. In fact, the 360 compatibility limits your choices quite a lot, but the Fanatec stuff is top notch.

If you just want something for the PC (or PS3) then the Logitech Driving Force GT is a good place to start and should be pretty cheap (sub 100) these days.
  • y2rich 21 Dec 2013 17:41:14 1,390 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For 360 the only one worth getting is the Fanatec CSR which is prohibitively expensive.

I'd personally just go for a Logitech Driving Force GT. Should be able to get one second hand for about 60 these days. The pedals are terrible but its still one of the better FFB wheels going

Edit: Wow beaten to it by 2 seconds

Edited by y2rich at 17:41:47 21-12-2013
  • Kostabi 21 Dec 2013 17:42:22 4,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ha, snap! :D
  • HitchHiker 21 Dec 2013 18:04:40 2,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks. Been looking at what's available locally as getting something posted out now is going to be prone to being lost somewhere or delayed. Game have stopped stocking any sort of wheel.
    Novatech are local to me and have a few in stock but nothing that seems like it would stand up to much or 360 compatible.

There's this Speedlink Carbon GT wheel that looks ok, never heard of them though. They also have various Thrustmaster wheels but they look really flimsy.

Edited by HitchHiker at 18:05:11 21-12-2013

Edited by HitchHiker at 18:06:42 21-12-2013
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 17 Jan 2014 12:13:16 6,654 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Was pissing about with this over the last couple of days, really hope we get the career mode soon.

I think with a decent but accessible racing game, I can fully divorce myself from consoles once and for all.
  • foopakajoo 17 Jan 2014 12:19:40 18 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine Well at the very least the update being released today is supposed to have some sort of AI added in it, but its only for some special event quick races I think.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 17 Jan 2014 12:23:55 6,654 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cool, cheers for the heads up.

Finding gauging the breaking distance hard in this. In Gran Turismo I've become reliant on the suggested gear flashing even though I don't play with the suggested line switched on.
  • Maturin 17 Jan 2014 12:26:30 2,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Cool, cheers for the heads up.

Finding gauging the breaking distance hard in this. In Gran Turismo I've become reliant on the suggested gear flashing even though I don't play with the suggested line switched on.
    Find something at the side of the track that's the right point for braking. It'll take a few laps to find it. Once you have it's as reliable as having the racing line - only this time you're doing it the way real drivers do it.

Obviously this relies on you being able to remember these for each corner but it's amazing how quickly you can do this. And you'll find yourself seeing much of the game than having a narrow focus in front of you.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 17 Jan 2014 12:30:52 6,654 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Didn't think of that. Clever!
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Jan 2014 12:33:19 35,427 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just a quick "tip" which is probably obvious, but I didn't see it at first: if you move the mouse to the right border of the screen during a race, there's a gazillion options (map, framerate, lap timer, seat position, field of view, etc.)
  • y2rich 17 Jan 2014 12:38:42 1,390 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @UncleLou

And there are plenty of additional ones (new dashboard, hot lap competition info, tyre temp/pressure info etc) available on the forums as well
  • estoo 17 Jan 2014 12:44:05 2,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, a good idea for braking points which works in most sims is to look for the dark patch on the road where the rubber's been laid down, that's where everyone else brakes (thought not always in the same car so it can vary).
    Can't wait to see the AI in today's update, that and the multiplayer will make or break this.
    I think Kunos has already said they can't hope to compete with the organised infrastructure/safety rating of iRacing for multiplayer so it will have to be private leagues to avoid the wreckers.
  • Tiger_Walts 17 Jan 2014 13:47:29 16,582 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been playing with the pad. The audio-feedback is pretty damn good enough to tell you what the wheels are doing but the way the rumble is employed is super-useful.

How many racing games simulate well enough so that the car can enter a sliding state where the loading is in a stable oscillation and the tyres are biting and releasing. Assetto Corso can, and the audio-visual-rumble feedback relay this information convincingly. I know I've thrown this car into a corner rather brashly, but I also know that it's not going to spin and that a little correction will see things right.

Most racing games would end up with tyres either locked in grip or skid, and flip-flopping between the two when forces are great enough, but never flitting between the two. And maybe one of the those tyres flip-flopping will spin you out with no warning.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Tigerteeth 17 Jan 2014 14:12:27 182 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just a reminder for everyone, the updates usually appear at 4 pm GMT every second week and the content is often teased/revealed on the Assetto Corsa facebook page that week.

I'm really enjoying AC so far, and for a small developer they are attracting some big licenses so the future looks promising. The sounds need a bit of work, but that's the only gripe for me at the moment - for the first time in a while I'm just enjoying the feeling of driving fast and beating lap times.

Edited by Tigerteeth at 14:12:52 17-01-2014
  • y2rich 17 Jan 2014 17:01:20 1,390 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just did a quick race at Monza against the AI with the latest update.

I need to do some more testing but the AI was just like Gran Turismo. Train of cars, no battling, seemed to ignore your presence if you had position on them on the inside of a corner etc.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 17 Jan 2014 17:06:02 6,654 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pity, but I guess it was to be expected. Mind you, Gran Turismo 6 is fun enough.
  • y2rich 17 Jan 2014 18:23:35 1,390 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just did another race on the Alien difficulty and it was a lot better. Only issue was the AI had a habit of braking very late and then parking up in the middle of the corner. Made cornering more of a battle to avoid cars than driving for position
  • Jetset_UK 6 Feb 2014 20:00:00 3,560 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How's this coming along. Have a spare room, and have ordered myself a decent wheel stand, so looking for some fun racing. Multi player implemented yet?
  • Kostabi 6 Feb 2014 20:08:19 4,877 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No multiplayer yet and the AI is still a bit basic but the actual driving is lovely and can only get better.
  • Phattso Moderator 16 Feb 2014 08:56:22 13,199 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Despite not being an hardcore racing gamer, and armed only with a pad from a 360, I took the plunge on this via Steam Early Access last night.

Couple of early impressions:

- Not as pretty as I was expecting. Cars seem good, but interiors aren't all that and some of the tracks are... functional. Accurate, I'm sure, but not the state of the art on the rendering side.

- Menu, which was praised heavily in the EG preview, isn't all that great. It's jerky, and doesn't make full use of the screen real estate making it hard to read from a distance. It also only works with the mouse, not with the joypad, and as I game on a TV from the sofa so this is a double ball-ache for me. I appreciate that it's not necessarily aiming for this market, but it doesn't seem like it'd take much effort to address. Hope they do.

- HOW IN THE NAME OF FUCK DO I GET A SMOOTH TAKEOFF?! :) In hotlaps this didn't matter, but in a race I'm sat stationary on the grid watching the pack disappear into the distance while trying to understand what sequence of interactions the game wants me to go through to start moving. I'm still very much in 'noob' mode, so it's full assists and an automatic transmission. But whether I manually try to stick it in first or not it seems a bit random.

- Really easy to get 'in the zone' and just enjoy the racing. Setting my ghost to +5 seconds in the hotlap mode is great fun!

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the career mode - I'm hoping it'll be a fun structure that avoids the sterile Gran Turismo style event rosters, and the Forza style grind.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous