Russell Brand Newsnight Page 15

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 11:52:16 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    binky wrote:
    @LeoliansBro Umm.... Revolution?
    Revolution is quitting to desktop. Which game are you going to boot up next?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• sport 6 Nov 2013 11:54:59 12,775 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    sport wrote:
    So hold on, are we in agreement now that paying the bankers more will benefit all of us?

hmmm yeah, that worked out well a few years ago.
    That was what we paid the bankers for, not how much. Ironically, driven ultimately by all the hard work doctors and nurses were doing.
    Well that settles it then. My next donation will be to the Cristal Fund for the Barclays End of Year Party.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 13:26:48 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MPs respond on the BBC website.

• orpheus 6 Nov 2013 19:01:38 1,007 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Most of those bonuses end up with no tax paid on them at all. Barclays is now looking at ways to bypass the laws that control the level of bonuses, and of course all the others will be as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/oct/23/barclays-eu-bank-bonus-cap-pay

Brand is right in his most recent column. This shit is systemic. It is built-in; a direct result of the shift from a needs to a desires culture, and all the social engineering that took place to ensure that happened. The simplified economic model of humanity has been shown to be flawed, yet our economy and much of the social changes of the last thirty or so years have been based on it, with results that are clear for anyone with a brain to see.

The reality is a million miles from the ridiculous neo-liberal fantasy world lived in by LeoliansBro et al. We're not going after the tax havens, the tax loopholes, or the people who work for the government who build this shit into the law so it becomes legal, or advise companies on how to get round their own rules. IDS retrospectively changed the law after it became clear that the courts were going to throw out all of the ludicrous 'justifications' he attempted to use to legitimise the slave labour 'workfare' program. Laws have been quietly changed, or drastically reinterpreted to provide a semblance of legality to the international horror that is the ever-growing Snowden revelations. National governments cannot cope with supra-national corporations, and those corporations in some cases arguably have more power than most governments anyway. Those corporations are not paying their way, they're paying themselves, and they don't give a shit who or what they destroy to keep their profit figures rising.

The system is undeniably out of control. The NSA revelations, the totalitarian actions taken by this government over the last few years, the Arab spring(s), the London riots... all of it points to a culture on the brink.

Edited by orpheus at 19:03:44 06-11-2013
  • Jeepers 6 Nov 2013 19:13:27 13,183 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think everyone, since the dawn of time, has believed that they're living at the end of times.

So excuse me if I don't stock up on beans and has stoves in advance of the impending revolution.

Also, as an old fucker, if Brand's in charge of this civil uprising you'll see my at LB's side, battering hippies with Blackberry.
  • Moot_Point 6 Nov 2013 19:14:12 4,330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think a lot of politicians would be better suited to running councils instead, from the sounds of it.

Edit: In fact it would benefit Politics no end if people wanting to work in the commons did 4-5 terms being on a local council first.

Edited by Moot_Point at 19:19:01 06-11-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Grax 6 Nov 2013 19:36:50 2,296 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    I think a lot of politicians would be beitter suited to running councils instead, from the sounds of it.

Edit: In fact it would benefit Politics no end if people wanting to work in the commons did 4-5 terms being on a local council first.
    I might be being really dumb but they do don't they? Pretty sure you elect the politicsn to run your local council
  • Moot_Point 6 Nov 2013 19:42:50 4,330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nope. Elected MP's can give their thoughts on issues and have influence with council issues, but MP's are there to represent people in the commons.

================================================================================

• Grax 6 Nov 2013 20:04:40 2,296 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Fair enough then yeah absolutely, the person who you elect should be running the councils help them see what we have to face
  • Moot_Point 14 Nov 2013 15:06:44 4,330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wanker is now what Russell is resorting to calling Cameron and Osborne. What an example to set, eh?

• geeza2020 14 Nov 2013 15:50:17 1,888 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah but... Revolution and all that shite!

I fucking despise Russell Brand.
  • Steve_Perry 14 Nov 2013 15:53:14 4,533 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think he is blatantly just stirring shit because he has a massive tour about to start.

No doubt he believes some of it.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Mr_Sleep 14 Nov 2013 16:01:12 17,173 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He's not wrong though. They are privileged wankers.

You are a factory of sadness.

• LeoliansBro 14 Nov 2013 16:06:39 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So is he.

• glaeken 14 Nov 2013 16:07:38 11,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was actually surprised when they were going through how much each of the cabinet is worth that Cameron is only worth 3.8 million. Which is a fuck load of money to a pauper like me but not so much in the circles he moves in. It does sound like he stands to inherit a lot though.

The below has a full listing of who is worth what in the Cabinet.

rich fuckers

Edited by glaeken at 16:11:08 14-11-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Nov 2013 16:11:14 17,173 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Yep, no arguments here. He is indeed that, doesn't make his comments any less true.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Rodpad 14 Nov 2013 16:13:28 1,953 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Russell Brand being "into politics" is still a thing?
  • Moot_Point 15 Nov 2013 11:22:09 4,330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Four in 10 people are "alienated" from Britain's political parties and say they will not consider voting for any of them, according to new research.
    Article.

Are these the first signs of 'The Russell Effect'?

• TheSaint 15 Nov 2013 11:23:16 14,602 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why don't you tell us what you think rather than just posting vague questions?
  • Moot_Point 15 Nov 2013 11:49:14 4,330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think most people here know my views when it comes to this issue. What is a nice surprise is that people are starting to wake up to the idea that the whole political system needs to be overhauled in a big way. BUT, I do not like the idea that Brand is the current mouthpiece for this noble cause.

• LeoliansBro 15 Nov 2013 11:52:41 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Until someone actually says 'we need to do THIS' rather than just 'we need to do something' the system won't change. Russell Brand saying he doesn't need to come up with something because Occupy Wall St etc have some great ideas is lazy, diversionary and incorrect.

• Benno 15 Nov 2013 11:53:38 10,003 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It will never happen. The recent NSA allegations and subsequent lack of any real protesting have convinced me that unless the carpet beneath us is pulled away, we'll all sit happily on our couch eating Doritos and watching X factor.
  • Tom_Servo 15 Nov 2013 11:56:00 18,004 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wouldn't say that's necessarily linked to Brand. Surely that sense of apathy in large swathes of the voting public has been going on for years and years, maybe even decades?
  • Tom_Servo 15 Nov 2013 12:00:33 18,004 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    It will never happen. The recent NSA allegations and subsequent lack of any real protesting have convinced me that unless the carpet beneath us is pulled away, we'll all sit happily on our couch eating Doritos and watching X factor.
    Yeah, this. Not to sound like niteninja here, but I think we're a all a bit coddled these days (maybe not the right word, but I'll explain).

Things that should have people out on the streets protesting aren't exactly in short supply these days IMHO, but it doesn't happen. We're all too happy getting fatter, staring at our phones, eating crap, and watching crap that, when you combine it all, zombifies us to an extent.

Having never been to a protest I'm well aware I'm part of the problem.

Maybe this can also be linked back to the last really large protest against going into Iraq that was promptly ignored by those in power?
  • nickthegun 15 Nov 2013 12:03:54 60,422 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I wouldn't say that's necessarily linked to Brand.
    Its probably an underlying feeling that people feel they can now voice since brand vocalised what they are feeling and, also, its an issue thats now worth reporting since he went on newsnight.

I dont think its a new thing at all, its just been given a very public airing.

Edited by nickthegun at 12:04:58 15-11-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LeoliansBro 15 Nov 2013 12:09:02 44,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah he's a useful focus point for an obviously widespread resentment and unhappiness about the current situation.

• Tom_Servo 15 Nov 2013 12:10:02 18,004 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Voter apathy has been studied for a long time, I think the only difference is that this is now slightly higher on the news agenda as opposed to it being covered a bit after an election where the turnout is 30%.

So I think we agree.
  • sport 15 Nov 2013 12:13:56 12,775 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What's strange is how LB DOESN'T want anything to change. Could he be in a position of power?

Further investigations are needed.
  • Moot_Point 15 Nov 2013 12:16:00 4,330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Don't worry its a storm in a teacup. The Conservatives will allow enough Romanians into the country, and give them citizenship/voting rights so it props up the political system for another 4 years.

• Lukus 15 Nov 2013 12:42:13 19,247 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Wanker is now what Russell is resorting to calling Cameron and Osborne. What an example to set, eh?
    It's hardly news is it.

Paintings & Photographs

• Page

of 17 First / Last