Russell Brand Newsnight Page 13

  • Page

    of 17 First / Last

  • morriss 2 Nov 2013 10:37:13 70,942 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ResidentKnievel 2 Nov 2013 21:21:34 6,181 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In the last election neither of my parents voted, me and one of my sisters voted lib dem, my other sister voted conservative and my brother submitted a blank vote. My Dad's extended family vote labour because "we always vote labour" while bringing up politics around my Mam's side is a bad idea as it always provokes heated arguments.

    Not that how my family vote means anything anyway as it's a safe Labour seat where most of us live.

    Can't really be arsed to vote in the next election after the British public voted against democracy in the STV referendum. My Tory voting sister's reason for voting against STV was "it's because that's what the Lib Dems would want," completely oblivious to the fact that an STV system would allow her vote to be more meaningful in the area where she lives.

    [code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

  • Deleted user 2 November 2013 21:31:43
    'public voted against democracy'
    :'D
  • Moot_Point 5 Nov 2013 11:27:36 3,983 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Will it never end?

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • Mr_Sleep 5 Nov 2013 11:32:40 16,933 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Will it never end?
    Shittest response ever.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • whatfruit 5 Nov 2013 11:33:45 1,441 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    After basting band in the Paxman Thunderdome it now turns out that the
    Paxoanator didn't vote either!

    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/jeremy-paxman-i-understand-why-russell-brand-doesnt-votei-didnt-either-8921410.html
  • Moot_Point 5 Nov 2013 11:40:07 3,983 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Yeah. He is running out of steam fast. That's why I posted about him being the wrong man giving the right message. The only protest vote is not to vote at all, because politics has turned into a game for the career politician.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • whatfruit 5 Nov 2013 11:48:06 1,441 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ah forget it.

    Edited by whatfruit at 11:48:44 05-11-2013
  • LeoliansBro 5 Nov 2013 11:50:38 43,816 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not voting at all isn't a protest. It's removing yourself from the system and also removing any legitimate grounds to complain about which party gets into power, which political decisions are made, and the impact they have on you. If you didn't want these people in you should have voted for someone else.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Moot_Point 5 Nov 2013 11:56:13 3,983 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @LeoliansBro I would vote, if I could find a party who didn't lie to gain power. So my point still stands.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • Mr_Sleep 5 Nov 2013 11:56:28 16,933 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep Yeah. He is running out of steam fast. That's why I posted about him being the wrong man giving the right message. The only protest vote is not to vote at all, because politics has turned into a game for the career politician.
    I do hope all the conversation keeps rumbling on in the public though as something needs to change. I think Billy Bragg had some good suggestions in his recent RSA lecture but I can't see the public giving a toss about what he said.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • LeoliansBro 5 Nov 2013 11:59:43 43,816 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Firstly, you shouldn't really vote4 for a party, you should vote for a person.

    Secondly, saying they're all as bad as each other isn't the same as saying they will all do the same things as each other when in power, and it's the latter that should influence your decisions.

    Thirdly, if you face universal deceit them get involved yourself, or encourage someone you consider suitable to get involved. If integrity and honesty are so absent from politics, a new force espousing those ideals 100% should capture a huge share of the popular vote. If it doesn't, then perhaps the problems aren't as severe as you think.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • kalel 5 Nov 2013 12:05:48 86,962 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's naive to think that revolution is a wonderful cleansing thing that rids a system of corruption and unfairness and brings a better status quo with it. This is rarely the case. You don't have to go back very far in history ( a year will do) to see how revolution can utterly fuck a country up, and that's in countries with far far worse systems in place than we have. Revolutions create vacuums of power into which extremists and dictators often step. Even in the best case scenarios revolution ends with a system not unlike what we currently have anyway.

    That's not to say they can't be a good thing, but I think it's idealism in the extreme to see it in the terms that Brand appears to.
  • Moot_Point 5 Nov 2013 12:08:06 3,983 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep If this had blown up six months before the election, it may have had some sort of effect. But we will see what happens between now and then.

    Your point is duly noted about an alternative LB, however voting for a person doesn't change the fact that it is the party which will determine what will be achieved whilst that person is elected.

    Edited by Moot_Point at 12:08:35 05-11-2013

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • Grax 5 Nov 2013 12:08:25 2,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Guy Fawkes wanted revolution :)

    sorry 5th November link
  • LeoliansBro 5 Nov 2013 12:13:01 43,816 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    arials101 wrote:

    That link just up there has Jeremy Paxman saying he didn't bother vote at a recent election because the choice was so 'unappetising', and this is what he says about the next one:

    You're missing the undertone. What he has said is a half truth, what he actually means is that he didn't bother vote at a recent election because the choice was so 'unappetising', and as a wealthy man he will be fine whatever happens.

    As will Russell Brandm, for that matter. Moot_Point says politics is the preserve of the wealthy. I'd say opting out of politics is.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • DFawkes 5 Nov 2013 12:19:27 22,789 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    Guy Fawkes wanted revolution :)
    I want no such thing!

    I've always lived in what has generally been a really strong Labour area, so if people in my area didn't vote, I can't say I blame them. Looking at the numbers, it'd have been a very different story if we'd got AV, but we didn't so I can't see it going any other way.

    I'll still vote though. For all the time it takes, I don't want to not vote. If I even get to vote in another general election that is, which might not even happen (but probably will).

    Edited by DFawkes at 12:22:25 05-11-2013

    I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

  • Moot_Point 5 Nov 2013 12:21:18 3,983 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Nicely sculptured reply! ;)

    Just because someone is wealthy and has no fear of the future because of that, doesn't mean that not voting is an indulgence of the rich. There are many people who want social and economic change, but it will never happen whilst the wealthy cling to their millions/billions whilst others cannot even afford to live.

    I agree with kalel that you cannot change the structure of a country without an infallible alternative to replace it. However, the longer it is left, the harder it will be.

    ================================================================================

    mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

  • LeoliansBro 5 Nov 2013 12:59:22 43,816 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    arials101 wrote:

    Paxman having a comfortable life isn't what is making the three main political parties unappealing to him.
    It's what makes his decision not to vote as a result of that apathy a viable option.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • GiarcYekrub 5 Nov 2013 13:14:38 3,732 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Personally I say withdraw the party whip and allow each MP to vote the way they and their constituents want, regardless of whether it tows the party line. Its the people they represent and their views they should be voicing IMO.
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Nov 2013 13:30:48 16,933 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Party whip is a difficult one as they enforce the party line which is kind of the purpose of being aligned to a party in the first place but in principle I do think they weild too much power.

    The real revolution that needs to happen is a slow change that brings our parliament closer to what is required in this modern time. We still hold to many dogmatic and archaic methods that no longer work for the public. You don't need to abolish the whole thing to improve it.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Inertia 5 Nov 2013 13:49:04 677 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The system runs a pretence of authority. As soon as big business says they don't like something it doesn't get done. If the people complain we get a tireless PR exercise in why it is good for us. And it gets done.

    The system is corrupt not necessarily because of the parties or the politicians as a whole. So voting isn't an effective way of changing the system. The parties just do what will get them power within the system. If people refuse to except its authority the system will collapse. The illusion of capitalist democracy is that it is the only reasonable form of government. This is the lie. We could have a much more regional form of politics that would make corruption more difficult and privilege less effective. Away from the reach of faceless lobby groups that decide the political agenda for this country.

    This is the problem. We know government do the will of the rich. No one can argue this. So why elect a way of legitimising this corruption and then getting the poor to think they have freedom by voting in a system that obscures the corruption and sets up patsies to take the blame for it. Of course these puppets are well rewarded in the future if they tow the line with easy consultation roles and made-up corporate positions.
  • LetsGo 5 Nov 2013 19:22:49 5,184 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So Paxman doesn't vote either, what a joke.

    A guy who interviews political figures week in week out!

    Edited by LetsGo at 19:23:54 05-11-2013
  • LeoliansBro 5 Nov 2013 20:17:25 43,816 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, no. A games journalist doesn't necessarily have to buy the games he's assessing.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Lukus 5 Nov 2013 20:22:27 19,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If anything at least he's sort of impartial.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • Ka-blamo 5 Nov 2013 20:28:56 7,314 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Well, no. A games journalist doesn't necessarily have to buy the games he's assessing.
    But I'd like him to at least play them.....
  • Bremenacht 5 Nov 2013 21:39:48 17,787 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    whatfruit wrote:
    After basting band in the Paxman Thunderdome it now turns out that the
    Paxoanator didn't vote either!

    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/jeremy-paxman-i-understand-why-russell-brand-doesnt-votei-didnt-either-8921410.html
    That almost certainly means some craven Tory will write an opinion piece for the Daily Mail claiming the BBC are politically biased etc.

    I've mentioned spoiling papers as a protest vote before. Maybe someone should encourage potential non-voters to spoil their papers by writing 'Russell Brand' or 'Paxman' on the voting slip, and telling any press or party counters outside the voting station that you've done that. Not that I like Brand or agree with everything he says, but that I agree with the sentiment that UK politics is just toxic sludge.
  • rudedudejude 6 Nov 2013 10:23:53 2,163 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Brand responds, round 2!

    DING DING!
  • Page

    of 17 First / Last

Log in or register to reply