What would be your solution for bringing down the UK's debt? Page 9

  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

    Next
  • Deleted user 13 October 2013 12:38:37
    Ginger wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Vouchers: the best way to make the unemployed feel even more powerless, patronised and pissed upon.
    Might that not be an incentive to look for work perhaps?
    I'd imagine that for most people, actually, there's already enough incentive to find a job. I'd like to see someone actually show me why such a measure is really necessary for 99.9% of the country, without resorting to some ill-defined sense of 'justice' or 'vengeance' against the real slackers.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2013 15:01:17
    Polish benefit migrants. Smoke and mirrors.
  • Grax 15 Oct 2013 15:01:49 3,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @LeoliansBro hey LB

    am 'trying' to study economics for my first year cima and i have a question i could use your help for

    if the backs are able to multiply credit by loaning money that belongs to someone else. Where does the extra money come from as it must become real money at some point :S

    been driving me up the wall

    also, if i read the books correctly, the best way of bringing down debt is to decrease the exchange rate which would make exports look more appealing and make imports less so.

    obviously this couldnt work for the uk as we do not produce enough produce and import alot from different countries but the theory is correct
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Oct 2013 15:10:52 17,823 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Going to be a pariah for saying this, but part of the reason there are so few jobs is because of the level the minimum wage is set at.
    Would it not be more accurate to suggest that there are fewer jobs because there is not the requirement to hire as many people because many processes that people used to be hired for have been streamlined by technology? It has been a similar downward/upward spiral since the industrial revolution, no? With the advent of 3D printing becoming affordable I would imagine this will impact many things too.

    I say all that but in my personal experience efficiency of staff seems to be a big point that companies push for, in a struggling company the work seems to end up being foisted on a smaller and smaller workforce with the work being the same but the man-hours required being largely made up by overworking the remaining staff. None of those jobs were minimum wage and it seems to me that payroll is the first place that gets cut and that leads to less jobs as the job market gets filled by ex-employees.

    I'm sure it's all much more complicated than it appears, as it always is.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Grax 15 Oct 2013 15:55:15 3,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I thought the boe had the ability to control the exchange rate by increasing or decreasing the amount of Stirling in the financial market (buy buying or selling government bonds- therefore increasing or decreasing the exchange rate)

    I understand what you have written is the natural way of things, I was under the impression that the BOE are able to artificially play with it.

    Also what I meant with the banks I was talking about commercial banks. Ie a customer puts 1000 in the bank for savings, the bank decides to lend the 800 to another customer who uses said 800 to buy something and the money returns to the bank, the bank then decide to loan out another 640 etc (therefore even though the bank only had 1000 they are able to loan out 4000 (assuming a closed market with only one bank) I can't get my head around where the money eventually comes from to pay out to the customer
  • Grax 15 Oct 2013 15:57:56 3,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am prob well off as I said have only just started reading about it and it has gone well over my head I think
  • Deleted user 15 October 2013 16:15:10
    Big thread, haven't dove into the whole thing but why haven't we ever tried consumer-led QE in the UK? Instead of generating a bunch of money out of thin air to give to banks on the basis that they'll "promise" to lend more openly, start by dividing it up amongst tax payers in the form of a bond that *has* to be spent - it can't be saved.

    Money enters the market, retail benefits by having people in the shops spending money, they get business growth (or reduced shrinkage), then money makes its way into the banks anyway making their coffers look better meaning they're more confident to lend again. Same net result as "classic" QE but instead of piling the money at the top and hoping it'll trickle down, it's placed at the lowest point of the food chain so it can get consumed by the market and everyone in between benefits too.

    Or is there some reason that wouldn't work?
  • Grax 15 Oct 2013 16:16:18 3,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    yeah, i get that bit. My loss of comprehension was when i thought too much of it. Say if there is only 50,000 in circulation. It is divided between 4 banks equally and they have decided to keep 20% back in case of withdrawels.

    That means that the 50,000 has been 'multiplied' through loans, investments etc to 250,000.

    Where do the people get the money to pay back the loans as there is still only 50k in circulation
  • Grax 15 Oct 2013 16:19:26 3,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Big thread, haven't dove into the whole thing but why haven't we ever tried consumer-led QE in the UK? Instead of generating a bunch of money out of thin air to give to banks on the basis that they'll "promise" to lend more openly, start by dividing it up amongst tax payers in the form of a bond that *has* to be spent - it can't be saved.

    Money enters the market, retail benefits by having people in the shops spending money, they get business growth (or reduced shrinkage), then money makes its way into the banks anyway making their coffers look better meaning they're more confident to lend again. Same net result as "classic" QE but instead of piling the money at the top and hoping it'll trickle down, it's placed at the lowest point of the food chain so it can get consumed by the market and everyone in between benefits too.

    Or is there some reason that wouldn't work?
    am i right in thinking philips curve and NAIRU (i know its to do with unemployment but lends itself to this
  • Grax 15 Oct 2013 17:44:13 3,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ahhhh kk so the is why I wasn't getting it, pretty much the money isn't there. Which is why if one bank were to collapse they would take the rest down with them ala Lehman bros
  • prawnking1980 15 Oct 2013 17:50:26 6,318 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Speak to wonga
  • jimbogreen 15 Oct 2013 17:54:32 88 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    cheeky_prawnking wrote:
    Speak to Wonga
    But what if you winga the wonga number?
  • FortysixterUK 15 Oct 2013 18:15:32 392 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Legalise cannabis, sell and market it in much the same way we do for tobacco products .

    Put "hard drugs" available via prescription from your GP , with a program designed to slowly work people off the addiction.

    Drunks who use up Police time , once arrested , dealt with and released are given the bill for the full cost of the Police time they used. This is taken at source at the rate of 10 percent per month of salary / dole payments.

    Drink drivers are likewise fined with all costs being clawed back.

    Immigration. You are only allowed into the country if you are fully signed up to pay all taxes and of course, have a job to go to. You must have full command of the English language, you can't integrate with a country if you can't communicate.
    Conversely, Illegal immigration is a 24 hour turn around ejection policy once the person is apprehended. Anyone who wants to live/work/ pay taxes in the UK cannot have a criminal record, if they do , admission is not allowed.

    Child benefit only payable for the firstborn of any mother.

    Council housing to be only awarded to a person who has lived in the UK for 25 years or more and is a British or nationalised citizen. If the occupant wants to buy a council house it must be purchased at full market rates minus 20%.

    You must obtain a licence to have a child, which covers parenting skills, means testing and ensures both parents are together in a serious relationship. You must be financially viable to have a child and not rely on the tax payer to pay your way for you.

    It is illegal to have a child under the age of 21. See above.

    You cannot drive until you are 21. This will minimise young driver incidents and the associated costs in policing and governing said people.

    Well ..... I've dug a deep enough hole here....flame away!
  • prawnking1980 15 Oct 2013 18:19:07 6,318 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hi Mr Farage
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Oct 2013 18:25:13 17,823 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FortysixterUK wrote:
    Immigration. You are only allowed into the country if you are fully signed up to pay all taxes and of course, have a job to go to. You must have full command of the English language, you can't integrate with a country if you can't communicate.
    Conversely, Illegal immigration is a 24 hour turn around ejection policy once the person is apprehended. Anyone who wants to live/work/ pay taxes in the UK cannot have a criminal record, if they do , admission is not allowed.
    How does this work in regards of asylum seekers who may very well have a criminal record but have legitimate reasons for escaping their country?


    You must obtain a licence to have a child, which covers parenting skills, means testing and ensures both parents are together in a serious relationship. You must be financially viable to have a child and not rely on the tax payer to pay your way for you.

    O_O erm. What happens if you don't get a licence to have a child?

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Deleted user 15 October 2013 18:29:19
    FortysixterUK wrote:
    Legalise cannabis, sell and market it in much the same way we do for tobacco products .

    Put "hard drugs" available via prescription from your GP , with a program designed to slowly work people off the addiction.

    Drunks who use up Police time , once arrested , dealt with and released are given the bill for the full cost of the Police time they used. This is taken at source at the rate of 10 percent per month of salary / dole payments.

    Drink drivers are likewise fined with all costs being clawed back.

    Immigration. You are only allowed into the country if you are fully signed up to pay all taxes and of course, have a job to go to. You must have full command of the English language, you can't integrate with a country if you can't communicate.
    Conversely, Illegal immigration is a 24 hour turn around ejection policy once the person is apprehended. Anyone who wants to live/work/ pay taxes in the UK cannot have a criminal record, if they do , admission is not allowed.

    Child benefit only payable for the firstborn of any mother.

    Council housing to be only awarded to a person who has lived in the UK for 25 years or more and is a British or nationalised citizen. If the occupant wants to buy a council house it must be purchased at full market rates minus 20%.

    You must obtain a licence to have a child, which covers parenting skills, means testing and ensures both parents are together in a serious relationship. You must be financially viable to have a child and not rely on the tax payer to pay your way for you.

    It is illegal to have a child under the age of 21. See above.

    You cannot drive until you are 21. This will minimise young driver incidents and the associated costs in policing and governing said people.

    Well ..... I've dug a deep enough hole here....flame away!
    Income from drugs would be next to nothing. The benefits of not having to police it one way but police it another way will save nothing.

    Drunks paying too be imprisoned is stupid and can lead to police arresting people that may well be over the limit but not doing anything wrong. Other than that it'll raiser about 50p a year.

    Immigration is good for the country in general. The amount of illegal immigration that costs money is small.

    Starving babies is a vote winner.

    Population control by the deciding who can have children is also fantastic for votes.

    Driving only after 21 still needs policing.
  • Deleted user 15 October 2013 18:32:02
    Short version: you're a fucking moron.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 18:01:43
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Vouchers: the best way to make the unemployed feel even more powerless, patronised and pissed upon.
    Yup!
  • Page

    of 9 First / Last

    Next
Log in or register to reply