• mrpon 8 Feb 2018 19:40:18 34,087 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks good, no chimneys?
  • Technoishmatt 8 Feb 2018 20:56:35 2,326 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ace!

Also, getting about time I start planning the return to London, and this time look for a place to buy instead of rent. I am looking forward to being horrendously disappointed at what is available / affordable / near work!

From a cursory search on rightmove - Clapham doesn't look too bad on the price vs size front. Although I've never lived south of the river...

Also, fuck me, stamp duty is a bitch. Kind of puts to bed the idea that we might go for something slightly smaller than we might really want longer term, as we can trade up later when you are paying so much tax. Had hoped that first-time buyer exemption would help out, but not on London prices.

Having been a lurker on this thread, it is all a bit terrifying. I am pretty sure I will be the type that pays for all the surveys.
  • Psychotext 8 Feb 2018 22:31:11 62,449 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Looks good, no chimneys?
    Sadly not. Will be the back vented / fake sort of fire if we want one.

Supposedly the NHBC inspection is being done tomorrow, and if it gets through that we're looking at completion in a week.

I need to get a snagging expert to go over the house before we move in (probably not until 2nd week of March).

Edited by Psychotext at 22:32:13 08-02-2018
  • GuybrushThreepwood 9 Feb 2018 07:51:01 1,790 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @Psychotext i assume you knew how small the garden was? I hope the next house isn't right on top of yours as they do seem pretty close together in the background.

Edited by GuybrushThreepwood at 07:51:51 09-02-2018
  • IJ 9 Feb 2018 10:54:06 902 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Ace!

Also, getting about time I start planning the return to London, and this time look for a place to buy instead of rent. I am looking forward to being horrendously disappointed at what is available / affordable / near work!

From a cursory search on rightmove - Clapham doesn't look too bad on the price vs size front. Although I've never lived south of the river...

Also, fuck me, stamp duty is a bitch. Kind of puts to bed the idea that we might go for something slightly smaller than we might really want longer term, as we can trade up later when you are paying so much tax. Had hoped that first-time buyer exemption would help out, but not on London prices.

Having been a lurker on this thread, it is all a bit terrifying. I am pretty sure I will be the type that pays for all the surveys.
    Yup stamp duty is a bitch, preferably Iíd have moved into a 3 bed 1400dq ft in zone 3 from my flat in zone 2 for 5 years then moved again to a bigger place further away as the family grew. But stamp duty kills that idea, so Iíve jumped to the 5 bed 2400sq for in zone 4 straight away. Itís one annoying aspect of London.

Bit of advice is that London house prices are really weak. Itís very area specific and even price range specific so do a lot of research. Check how much stock is selling and donít believe the estate agents. I sold my flat in Belsize Park last year, I had one offer in 2.5 years and cut the price 150k. I got 50k off the house I bought. Southwark prices dropped 20% over the past year.

Someone at work dropped out of buying a flat and the guy was desperate to sel it and dropped the price 30k. Another guy almost bid on a place but decided not too, 6 months later they dropped it 75k. Be VERY careful you donít overpay and get swept up in the London myth. You can and probably should bid anywhere from 10-20 below asking, depending on area and price range.

Under 400k seems to be stable. Flats in zone 1/2 at 1m are in free fall. Houses for 1m in zone 3+ seem stable...etc. But then you get Areas like Crouch End which are stable then East Dulwich which is in complete free fall, yet are similar areas in the surface.
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Feb 2018 11:19:37 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Psychotext Nice! Glad there's some finality to it. Any set date for it yet?

Mrs had a text from the lady we're buying from (she's taken over from the bloke and surely enough, shit's got done) saying they've handed over the regs to ours, their mortgage has been agreed and their solicitors are aware that everyone's agreed to the 2nd March. So it's happening. Be nice to go into a weekend knowing that everything isn't up in the air and we can start living like humans again in a few weeks.
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2018 11:38:17 62,449 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    @Psychotext i assume you knew how small the garden was? I hope the next house isn't right on top of yours as they do seem pretty close together in the background.
    The rear garden is actually the biggest on the entire estate... still tiny though. lol

Edited by Psychotext at 19:40:17 16-02-2018
  • GuybrushThreepwood 9 Feb 2018 11:52:49 1,790 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @Psychotext I'm assuming your back garden is so tiny that the photo of it isn't actually visible in your post :)

I've two rugrats, so a tiny garden is a none starter for me. Ours is about 60' long I'd guess (that includes a patio area) and only overlooked by our neighbour. But then I don't have a single ensuite, never mind four.

Glad things are looking positive for you.
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2018 12:08:39 62,449 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, that's just not going to happen with a new build these days. I haven't seen any with decent size gardens.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 9 Feb 2018 12:22:16 1,790 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Turns out it was my work blocking your link and not you having a tiny garden that meant I couldn't see it. I can see it on my phone.

That looks big enough. Besides, with the size of the house you'll be lost in it for weeks before you venture outside again.
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2018 12:23:50 62,449 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good morning,

We have now had your new home signed off and we are looking to legally complete on the 16th February.

I shall ask the sales team to make contact with you to arrange a New Home Tour.

May I take this opportunity to wish you much happiness in your new home but should you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards
    House Person
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Feb 2018 12:26:06 6,363 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ace. I love a happy ending.
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2018 12:34:02 62,449 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Three goddamn years of looking / trying to buy. It has not been a pleasant experience.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 9 Feb 2018 12:35:11 1,790 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Congrats :)

.. and you'll soon forget the last three years.

Hope you enjoy your new home.
  • robc84 9 Feb 2018 13:19:13 12,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Congrats, I know its been a painful process getting there!

House looks great btw.
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2018 13:21:09 62,449 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers all.
  • robthehermit 9 Feb 2018 14:42:56 6,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hallelujah. Glad you got there in the end Psycho.
  • mrpon 9 Feb 2018 14:52:10 34,087 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What happened to the fish Psycho?
  • whatfruitlivesagain 9 Feb 2018 15:08:09 754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Congrats Psycho.

Just the mortgage advance to drawdown now.;)
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2018 16:44:42 62,449 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    What happened to the fish Psycho?
    I've lost three since Christmas after not losing any for three years, and it's all my fault for not paying enough attention to the water etc (too busy with all sorts of random shit).

I'm getting some new ones this weekend and quarantining them ready to come with me... and yes, there's enough space in the corner of the garden for them to live, but I wont be putting in a long term tank (as I'm not planning on staying more than a couple of years).
  • Psychotext 12 Feb 2018 12:28:10 62,449 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Question on the insurance... the application asks if the property has been flooded before. Answer is no, it never existed. Phoned to clarify and was told that we need to find out if the land has previously flooded, but it's ex industrial site, and heavily remodelled. How in fuck would we find that out?
  • Syrette 12 Feb 2018 12:29:28 49,579 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's a question for your solicitor, shirley?
  • whatfruitlivesagain 12 Feb 2018 12:44:11 754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Question on the insurance... the application asks if the property has been flooded before. Answer is no, it never existed. Phoned to clarify and was told that we need to find out if the land has previously flooded, but it's ex industrial site, and heavily remodelled. How in fuck would we find that out?
    Your Solicitor will have carried out a water and drainage search. Your lender will have requested a copy/information from it as well.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 12 Feb 2018 12:44:57 754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    It should also be contained in one of the attachments regarding the land in the Legal Report.

Edited by whatfruitlivesagain at 12:45:46 12-02-2018
  • Psychotext 12 Feb 2018 12:47:32 62,449 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We have the flood risk report, but that's not what the insurer wants. They want to know if the land has PREVIOUSLY flooded. Which isn't in the report, only risk of future flooding.
  • Ceelion 12 Feb 2018 14:17:12 451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Psychotext

https://data.gov.uk/dataset/historic-flood-map1

Usually it's the sellers that have to tell you that. But obviously how would they know if they built the blooming thing. I guess ask the developers if they know? They probably had to ask the same question when they bought the land.
  • Ceelion 12 Feb 2018 14:19:29 451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, my wife and I have FINALLY exchanged on our house. We complete on Friday.

It's been the most stressful thing I've ever done, and the most expensive thing (obvs). From new boilers, to bulging walls, to vendors demanding we pay £34.04 for three days mortgage because we couldn't exchange and complete in two days, it's finally fucking over.

Now anything that happens is our problem to deal with.
    And it's liberating.

PS. Can someone lend me a fiver? I'm skint.
  • Psychotext 12 Feb 2018 14:48:43 62,449 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Congrats, and thanks... but alas the house is in Wales, and apparently that map doesn't cover Wales.

This one seems to cover it though: http://lle.gov.wales/catalogue/item/HistoricFl/?lang=en

Edited by Psychotext at 15:02:09 12-02-2018
  • whatfruitlivesagain 12 Feb 2018 14:50:24 754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    I would write "It previously flooded when Noah finished construction on the Ark."
  • Page

of 175 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.