Advice on house hunting Page 151

  • Page

    of 177 First / Last

  • robc84 9 Nov 2017 22:24:13 12,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Jeepers

    Yeah all good mate, thanks.

    Bit overwhelming with all that needs to be done. So happy to be in though and can really see how good we can make it over time. I'm starting to make my peace with the sloping floors too which is good :)
  • monkehhh 9 Nov 2017 22:29:09 4,783 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @robc84 I'm sure the slope is very charming and quirky :)

    Big meeting with the architect tomorrow to talk about plug sockets, lighting circuits, heating systems, flooring, etc. All the rock and roll stuff.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Nov 2017 00:39:42 5,252 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think you need to go see a doctor. Seriously.
  • Your-Mother 10 Nov 2017 00:46:07 1,057 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Fuck off
  • FuzzyDucky 10 Nov 2017 01:39:26 2,966 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What sort of standing do you have in your community that others can gain "station and friends" by slandering your name?

    Aren't you a 40 something that lives literally in your Ma's basement?
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2017 02:01:32 62,476 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's not a lot of sense to what was written there. Someone bought him a place, but people managed to get it taken away from him because they called him names?

    It's complete nonsense.

    If he broke into Jabberwocky I wouldn't have batted an eyelid.
  • the_milkybar_kid 10 Nov 2017 05:00:34 6,381 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't know what kind of hiveminded community he lives in that decides who they give houses to. the way he talks about it I'm beginning to think it's some Amish villige thats segregated from the world and live like its the 1700's that think SM is some sort of demon with his electric computer device and posters of Anime girls.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 10 Nov 2017 06:05:03 1,805 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Fwiw (and its not worth much), SM appears to be 40 (I assume 77 is his year of birth), male and living with his parents who are apparently sick of him just playing games all the time. He's unemployed so sponging off them and I suppose the state/us because of his "arts" . He says there's a big conspiracy against him that he can't talk about. He also says he's written stuff that proves how artistic he is, but he's repeatedly ignored requests for examples of it. He ignores a lot of things like being told repeatedly to fuck off.

    He also only writes in the "peace, love and ampersands" manner in threads where his only interest seems to be making the thread about him. He writes normally in other threads.

    In other words, he's a deluded troll who should really be banned as he's not adding anything to the threads he clutters up with his made up gibberish. I'm not sure why the mods haven't done so yet as a cursory look at his posting history makes it clear.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 10 Nov 2017 06:10:32 1,805 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @robc84 I'm getting a bit overwhelmed and I'm not even in the house yet! :) The amount of paperwork and process is draining and I'm seeing why people say it's one of the biggest life stresses.

    Glad you're getting used to the place. I've said to my wife that we should live in the place a while before we decide what needs doing as I think that will save us wasting money on things we realise aren't that big a deal....plus I'm not made of money !
  • Jeepers 10 Nov 2017 06:33:33 16,471 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Might want to get it swept before lighting any fire
    Chimney sweep coming 10am tomorrow so I'll have to delay the first fire a day. Stupid safety rules.
  • robc84 10 Nov 2017 06:39:10 12,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    @robc84 I'm getting a bit overwhelmed and I'm not even in the house yet! :) The amount of paperwork and process is draining and I'm seeing why people say it's one of the biggest life stresses.

    Glad you're getting used to the place. I've said to my wife that we should live in the place a while before we decide what needs doing as I think that will save us wasting money on things we realise aren't that big a deal....plus I'm not made of money !
    Yeah good luck with that ;)

    I said the same and I'm spending Ł5k on a new heating system next week and another Ł5k on a kitchen before Christmas! Kitchen is on 3 years interest free credit though.

    Still, there goes what remained of my savings....
  • robc84 10 Nov 2017 06:42:28 12,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    @robc84 I'm sure the slope is very charming and quirky :)

    Big meeting with the architect tomorrow to talk about plug sockets, lighting circuits, heating systems, flooring, etc. All the rock and roll stuff.
    That's what I keep telling myself! No one else seems to notice or be bothered by it so I just try to ignore it.

    Good luck with the architect! Sounds like riveting stuff.
  • elstoof 10 Nov 2017 07:04:35 19,393 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @craigy how about you sprinkle some of that magic here too
  • GuybrushThreepwood 10 Nov 2017 07:07:34 1,805 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @robc84 i think we'll need a new boiler. It's 20 years old and according to the energy report is inefficient as hell (though I'm going to get that double checked as I'd heard from the owners that British Gas told them it's A rated). Wife also wants a new bathroom and has mentioned a conservatory... I'm going to fight the conservatory idea to my last breath. No one ever seems to use them.

    Oh and yeah, definitely get a sweep in for that chimney Jeepers. Chimney fires or smoke coming back into the house aren't nice.
  • robc84 10 Nov 2017 07:08:17 12,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • GuybrushThreepwood 10 Nov 2017 07:13:39 1,805 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @monkehhh I'm sure you've thought of it, but make sure you've plugs on both sides of a room. Loads of houses these days seem to only have them on one side and then you've got extension leads all over the place.

    So wish our new place had plug points in the bathroom. That'll be on the list.
  • robc84 10 Nov 2017 07:28:35 12,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    @robc84 i think we'll need a new boiler. It's 20 years old and according to the energy report is inefficient as hell (though I'm going to get that double checked as I'd heard from the owners that British Gas told them it's A rated). Wife also wants a new bathroom and has mentioned a conservatory... I'm going to fight the conservatory idea to my last breath. No one ever seems to use them.

    Oh and yeah, definitely get a sweep in for that chimney Jeepers. Chimney fires or smoke coming back into the house aren't nice.
    Wimmin eh?

    Sure you'll come to an agreement* when you get in there.


    *whereby she gets what she wants
  • Dougs 10 Nov 2017 07:43:45 84,559 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Might want to get it swept before lighting any fire
    Chimney sweep coming 10am tomorrow so I'll have to delay the first fire a day. Stupid safety rules.
    Gits that bought my place were savvy and asked for the chimney to be swept before completion. Can't wait to sort out a fire here.
  • Dougs 10 Nov 2017 07:46:08 84,559 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, conservatories are a massive waste of space. If she wants the additional light and space, go for a small extension with bifold doors and a glass ceiling/windows etc.
  • elstoof 10 Nov 2017 07:57:55 19,393 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sliding doors would be my choice, much thinner frames than bifolds so when they’re closed (which will be most of the year) you have a better view out. You can’t open them fully like bifolds though
  • monkehhh 10 Nov 2017 07:59:26 4,783 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood yeah, I've drawn about 16 plug points behind the TV so I don't have to have everything coming out of one socket! Wonder if you're allowed plug points in the bathroom? Maybe just those shaver points I've never, ever used?
  • monkehhh 10 Nov 2017 08:00:06 4,783 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And do not ever get a conservatory, they're garbage.

    (Apologies to conservatory owners :))

    Edited by monkehhh at 08:00:36 10-11-2017
  • henro_ben 10 Nov 2017 08:17:09 2,332 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    @robc84 i think we'll need a new boiler. It's 20 years old and according to the energy report is inefficient as hell (though I'm going to get that double checked as I'd heard from the owners that British Gas told them it's A rated). Wife also wants a new bathroom and has mentioned a conservatory... I'm going to fight the conservatory idea to my last breath. No one ever seems to use them.

    Oh and yeah, definitely get a sweep in for that chimney Jeepers. Chimney fires or smoke coming back into the house aren't nice.
    Definitely get the boiler checked by an independent engineer, preferably one you've used before & trust - my boiler was basically condemned by British Gas, as it's at least 40 years old & really inefficient. Got 3 independents in to look at it / service it since then and every single one has said the same thing: keep it, they basically last forever and it'd take more than the lifespan of a new boiler to recoup the cost in savings from improved efficiency...
  • elstoof 10 Nov 2017 08:24:05 19,393 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How could it take more than the lifespan if they basically last forever
  • Dougs 10 Nov 2017 08:28:51 84,559 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lifespan of the new boiler....

    Speaking of boilers, my nephew (recently trained but lives 6 hours away) was down for a visit and fixed my boiler. Took him best part of 3 hours but saved us a fortune, considering every other engineer has said we need a new one. Crate of beer on his way.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 10 Nov 2017 09:04:28 1,805 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Might want to get it swept before lighting any fire
    Chimney sweep coming 10am tomorrow so I'll have to delay the first fire a day. Stupid safety rules.
    Gits that bought my place were savvy and asked for the chimney to be swept before completion. Can't wait to sort out a fire here.
    Now there's an idea...

    /enters "git mode"
  • Page

    of 177 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.