Unlikely food combinations that sound gross but are actually awesome

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • spamdangled 26 Jul 2013 01:16:18 27,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Was having a conversation with a mate and fellow cooking enthusiast earlier about how so many people these days seem to lack any sense of adventure when it comes to trying out new flavours. It started out with the normal complaints - people who say that all curry is horrible except a korma, people who moan about "foreign" food, how people rely on staples like Spaghetti Bolognese and Lasagne and think it's the beginning and end of Italian cusine, etc.

We then got talking about great dishes we love which are often dismissed by others as "ew, that sounds gross" etc by people that have never tried them, or that have not been given the amount of love/ popularity we feel they deserve. This led to us discussing this, that, this, that, etc etc etc and we ended up talking about combinations that people turn their nose up at.

In that vein, given that I know there's an awful lot of foodies on EG, I thought it might be interesting to discuss/share experiences of interesting but unlikely flavour combinations (or experiences of frustratingly conservative and fussy eaters you need to cook for).

A few of my favourites:

* Vanilla ice cream and balsamic vinegar - the tartness and fruit of the vinegar complements the sugary and rich dairy perfectly)

* Chocolate and Chilli (this one is gaining in popularity and public knowledge, but it still surprises me how many people turn their nose up at it or have never heard of it)

* Lamb and Blackcurrant (the depth, acidity and sweetness of the fruit goes really well with the fatty and and slightly gamey flavour of the meat)

* Ham boiled in Coke (just trust me, it really does work)

* Raw fennel as a salad ingredient (if for no other reason that I find it odd how many people haven't even heard of Fennel)

* Tea-smoked Salmon (an easy competitor to traditonal smoked Salmon, and all it takes a bit of tinfoil, a couple of teabags, a saucepann with lid and and a hob.

Edited by darkmorgado at 04:34:33 26-07-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• mal 26 Jul 2013 01:28:28 22,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've always liked meat and fruit combinations. Not tried blackcurrant with lamb yet though (might try that in my next lamb stew).

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• spamdangled 26 Jul 2013 02:26:45 27,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I've always liked meat and fruit combinations. Not tried blackcurrant with lamb yet though (might try that in my next lamb stew).
    It works really well. There's a really good celebrity-chef utilisation of the idea (can't remember if it was Rick Stein or Hugh Fernley-Whittinstall) that involves just crushing a load of berries in your bare hands, slathering them on the meat to form a sweet crust, then making a gravy/joux by combining the roasting juices and the leftover blackcurrant squish with a little flour to thicken.

Another combination that springs to mind - Goat's Cheese and Cranberry.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Telepathic.Geometry 26 Jul 2013 03:24:09 11,402 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    An old flat-mate of mine used to make delicious duck liver pate and cheese sandwiches. There was some other element, possibly turkey. They were fuckin' legend...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• spamdangled 26 Jul 2013 03:36:39 27,413 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    An old flat-mate of mine used to make delicious duck liver pate and cheese sandwiches. There was some other element, possibly turkey. They were fuckin' legend...
    Pate and cheese toasties? Not something I've ever heard of before but it's certainly piqued my curiosity. Definitely the sort of thing I was driving at in my OP!

Is it wrong that ever since I played Deadly Premonition I have a nagging interest in trying a Turkey, strawberry jam and Corn Flake sandwich? Or is that going too far?

• mal 26 Jul 2013 04:08:52 22,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I once had a cheese, tomato and cornflake pizza. That didn't really work...

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Telepathic.Geometry 26 Jul 2013 05:28:21 11,402 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    people who say that all curry is horrible except a korma
    Eh, in my experience it's the other way round, all curry is great except Korma.
    Blasphemer!

I just remembered something that is incredibly delicious but looks like baked shite.

Strawberries, milk, cream, raisins and cornflakes all mushed up and fried. Do not doubt the deliciosity of this concoction. It's the bollocks!

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• twelveways 26 Jul 2013 05:31:39 4,063 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    May be a bit mainstream these days but I always put cocoa, coffee and coke in my chilli con carne.
  • elstoof 26 Jul 2013 06:00:23 7,744 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I take a salt and vinegar crisp and a cheese and onion crisp, and eat them both in the same go.
  • Rusty_M 26 Jul 2013 07:02:19 4,763 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had Venison and chocolate once or twice. The first time was a carpaccio of Venison, too.

Otherwise I can't really think of much. We often eat haggis with unusual things like a haggis calzone with chorizo or haggis with tortellini and a cheese sauce.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Folant 26 Jul 2013 07:05:02 1,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Poor people have interesting food concoctions sometimes.

Not saying anyone here is poor, just saying, people who are poor...

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• jonsaan 26 Jul 2013 07:07:36 25,360 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Boiled sweets and teacher cock. Used to have this at scool all the time.

FCUTA!

• JoeBlade 26 Jul 2013 07:08:15 2,584 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I once gathered anchovy and banana on toast is a rather popular recipe in some part of the world.
  • Tricky 26 Jul 2013 07:22:44 4,438 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Marmite and Peanut Butter on toast. I've actually had someone who hated Marmite try this once and he loved it
  • mrpon 26 Jul 2013 07:26:36 29,190 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had truffles on a steak in Germany once. Way to ruin a tasty steak. They looked like pencil sharpenings and tasted like dirt.

No thanks.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Deckard1 26 Jul 2013 07:45:04 28,724 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cock in a hotdog bun
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jul 2013 07:47:21 11,348 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Was having a conversation with a mate and fellow cooking enthusiast earlier about how so many people these days seem to lack any sense of adventure when it comes to trying out new flavours. It started out with the normal complaints - people who say that all curry is horrible except a korma, people who moan about "foreign" food, how people rely on staples like Spaghetti Bolognese and Lasagne and think it's the beginning and end of Italian cusine, etc.

We then got talking about great dishes we love which are often dismissed by others as "ew, that sounds gross" etc by people that have never tried them, or that have not been given the amount of love/ popularity we feel they deserve. This led to us discussing this, that, this, that, etc etc etc and we ended up talking about combinations that people turn their nose up at.

In that vein, given that I know there's an awful lot of foodies on EG, I thought it might be interesting to discuss/share experiences of interesting but unlikely flavour combinations (or experiences of frustratingly conservative and fussy eaters you need to cook for).

A few of my favourites:

* Vanilla ice cream and balsamic vinegar - the tartness and fruit of the vinegar complements the sugary and rich dairy perfectly)

* Chocolate and Chilli (this one is gaining in popularity and public knowledge, but it still surprises me how many people turn their nose up at it or have never heard of it)

* Lamb and Blackcurrant (the depth, acidity and sweetness of the fruit goes really well with the fatty and and slightly gamey flavour of the meat)

* Ham boiled in Coke (just trust me, it really does work)

* Raw fennel as a salad ingredient (if for no other reason that I find it odd how many people haven't even heard of Fennel)

* Tea-smoked Salmon (an easy competitor to traditonal smoked Salmon, and all it takes a bit of tinfoil, a couple of teabags, a saucepann with lid and and a hob.
    tbh none of them sound gross apart from the ice cream one and if you haven't heard of fennel you must be a bit "special".

Fun fact : Fennel in Italian is a slang, derogatory term for homosexual, no idea why....

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 26 Jul 2013 07:49:18 11,348 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    I've had Venison and chocolate once or twice. The first time was a carpaccio of Venison, too.

Otherwise I can't really think of much. We often eat haggis with unusual things like a haggis calzone with chorizo or haggis with tortellini and a cheese sauce.
    The haggis ones are interesting, we usually do it with chicken, sometimes making a Haggis Cottage Pie using Chicken, haggis, neeps and tattoos. It rocks.

• Trafford 26 Jul 2013 07:49:28 5,879 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fried egg in a pitta lined sandwich spread.
  • Syrette 26 Jul 2013 07:50:33 43,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    COCK AND JAM

• Armoured_Bear 26 Jul 2013 07:51:11 11,348 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Fried egg in a pitta lined sandwich spread.
    sandwich spread lined pitta surely?

• Zomoniac 26 Jul 2013 07:56:36 7,852 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cinammon and raisin bagel with everything. Sweet or savoury. It just works. Smoked salmon with cream cheese and olives, sausages and brown sauce, chicken caesar salad, chocolate, anything at all. Bagel witchcraft.
  • Trafford 26 Jul 2013 08:10:56 5,879 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @eccosse
    Yeah that's what I meant. Just woken up.
  • Jeepers 26 Jul 2013 08:35:52 13,183 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was introduced to an interesting way of serving bacon. You fry it up as usual but - and this is where people with a less sophisticated palate might recoil - once it's ready you place it between two slices of bread and coat liberally with a rich tomato sauce.

It may sound gross to you proles but the fruity acidity of the sauce really complements the rich smoky taste of the bacon. And the bread adds another dimension to the ensemble.

It may seem a little outré to some people but for me it really works. Mind you, I am particularly special and classy.
  • Deckard1 26 Jul 2013 08:37:16 28,724 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You fucking animal
  • elstoof 26 Jul 2013 08:40:31 7,744 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Raw egg yolks and oil whisked together is divine.
  • Shikasama 26 Jul 2013 08:43:08 6,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The things you've listed are standard enough for me, who has absolutely no interest in food, to recognize as fairly standard pairings.

Opening post is full of reasons why talking about food with people is so bloody annoying.
  • elstoof 26 Jul 2013 08:55:20 7,744 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    ... haggis with tortellini and a cheese sauce.
    Deep fried, this haggis tortellini idea would make us millionaires in Scotland. I've got the capital, you run the franchise and together we can finally knock those smug pork scratching merchants from their perch at the top of the Scottish food chain. Are you in?
  • elstoof 26 Jul 2013 09:00:01 7,744 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

I find it odd how many people haven't even heard of Fennel
    "Now I've simply been dying to ask you Brian.. Have you ever come across, in all your years, such a thing as...fennel...?"
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous