Hotline Miami for Vita/PS3 Page 5

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• steveb07 4 Jul 2013 07:50:18 851 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spent nearly two hours last night just completing two levels. Didn't bother me in the slightest that I kept dieing over and over again. If someone was watching me play I'm sure it would have drove them nuts!

PSN: IIIQuid

• Gojiratron 4 Jul 2013 08:19:26 180 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mowgli

I think the big contributors to scores are combos and variety. A big combo is good but it's better to mix it up and use different weapons, door slams, executions etc. instead of just using the knife. Throw weapons to knock them down and then use that time pick up a different one. Guns score less than melee but their noise can draw enemies to you which can help with combos. The mask that extends the combo window is obviously very useful for high scores. Don't think restarts affect at all, it only counts the runs you survive in.

Edited by Gojiratron at 08:22:01 04-07-2013

PSN/SEN - Gojiratron
    NNID - ConvictAtLarge

• wobbly_Bob 4 Jul 2013 08:27:55 1,720 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    steveb07 wrote:
    Spent nearly two hours last night just completing two levels. Didn't bother me in the slightest that I kept dieing over and over again. If someone was watching me play I'm sure it would have drove them nuts!
    That's the thing, like Dark Souls, it's hard but always feels fair. Whenever you die it's your fault so instead of feeling frustrated its instead one more go because this time I know that I can do it better.
  • RyanDS 4 Jul 2013 08:28:47 9,260 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Instant restart helps a lot as well. Even a two second reload would probably annoy me enough to stop playing. As it is though it is fantastic.
  • aros 4 Jul 2013 09:20:12 2,766 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dying has never frustrated me either in this, it's just so fun to play and fast moving that less than a second after dying you're starting the next run so there's no break, it's just like a continuous dance with death.
  • GeezaTap 4 Jul 2013 15:23:15 289 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started this on the bus today.

It's pretty spiffing good fun. Cross-buy/save is the way forward. if Sony did it for blue movies I wouldn't need an Iphone any more!

Erm, scratch that last comment.
  • aros 4 Jul 2013 16:19:29 2,766 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More and more of the Vitas indie games seem to be using cross buy
  • el_pollo_diablo 4 Jul 2013 16:33:18 2,077 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just completed this. Thoroughly enjoyable.
  • Singularity 4 Jul 2013 20:28:09 2,438 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, this is great. Went in completely cold, and it's amazing.

I couldn't really have picked a greater contrast to my current squeeze, Animal Crossing!

Edited by Singularity at 20:28:53 04-07-2013
  • wobbly_Bob 4 Jul 2013 22:58:04 1,720 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a dream last night that I directly attribute to playing that game just before bed: There was a room and a man was beating a guy in the back with a hammer, smashing in his vertebrae while 3 other guys in black suit/white shirt FBI style clothing watched on.

At least, I hope it was inspired by this game.
  • Triggerhappytel 5 Jul 2013 21:53:14 2,695 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished this earlier. I had no fucking idea what was going on with the plot. Anyone care to spell it out, because although I like oblique stories, I wouldn't even know how to interpret this one.
  • Gojiratron 6 Jul 2013 00:18:36 180 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think you only need to get an A+ on the pre-Trauma levels for the Get A Life trophy. Gave it to me for that anyway.

The scoring system for kills seems to be 2 part. You get points for the [u]first[/u] time you knock an enemy down and points for the kill. Knocking them down first and executing them with a weapon is worth the most points. If they fall against a wall, let them get up first and knock them down so that they fall flat as you can't weapon execute otherwise. You can get a lot of points with Carl and his drill. A big combo is worth a lot but taking them out one by one for maximum points seems to be more efficient than small combos. I was struggling to get better than a B for Deadline but using Carl to drill everyone I beat my previous best by 25000 despite getting 0 points for Time and Versatility!

PSN/SEN - Gojiratron
    NNID - ConvictAtLarge

• Zizoo 6 Jul 2013 00:56:06 8,288 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    Finished this earlier. I had no fucking idea what was going on with the plot. Anyone care to spell it out, because although I like oblique stories, I wouldn't even know how to interpret this one.
    Just finished, and loved it.

I too would like the plot explained a bit please.
  • danathjo 6 Jul 2013 03:09:27 7,342 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    best game I've played for ages, that is all

loved it! perfect vita game
  • Gojiratron 6 Jul 2013 11:38:39 180 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Did some test runs this morning and here's some more scoring observations and a useful technique for those going for the A+ ratings.

The base scoring value is 400 for a melee attack from behind (lethal or knockdown), 600 for a frontal attack and 1000 if you get their attention and you attack them when they charge you. Throwing a weapon to knock them down gets 300 and 700 if it's lethal. Door slams are 480 if stealthy, 780 if they're charging you. Guns only give 180 from behind and 360 from the front. Executing them unarmed nets you 600 points but doing it with a weapon gives 1000. Carl's drill gives 1100. You only get points for the first time you do something so you can't knockdown, wait until they get up, knockdown again. You can however use all different types of attacks on one guy. In other words, the best way to maximize an individual target's worth is to play as Carl with his drill and: throw your drill at a guy (300), wait until he gets up and picks up his weapon then get his attention. When he charges run in and knock him down (1000). When he gets up get his attention again and back through a door so that it swings back and knocks him down (780). Go in for a drill-kill (1100) for a total of 3180! If they have a gun, throw a blunt melee to flatten them. Then pick up their gun and throw it out of sight/reach and get ready with your drill. There may be other scoring opportunities I've not thought of but the above should get you A+ ratings easily.

I think big combos are still potentially the best way to get high scores but they need to be really big, probably 12x or 13x if not higher to be more effective than the above method. It should also be pointed out that while this technique will get you good scores it's not as much fun to play the game that way.

PSN/SEN - Gojiratron
    NNID - ConvictAtLarge

• Gojiratron 6 Jul 2013 18:29:54 180 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you're trying to platinum this be aware that some of the trophies are glitched.

Dog Lover and Let Some Air In are apparently not attainable while Pitcher , Always on Top, Guns For Show and Knife For Pros may or may not work (not working for me). Get a Life is glitched as well as it may give you it despite not having A+ on every stage.

There's a patch coming but I don't know when.

Edited by Gojiratron at 18:30:12 06-07-2013

PSN/SEN - Gojiratron
    NNID - ConvictAtLarge

• lucky_jim 6 Jul 2013 19:25:29 5,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Singularity wrote:
    Wow, this is great. Went in completely cold, and it's amazing.

I couldn't really have picked a greater contrast to my current squeeze, Animal Crossing!
    That'd be the awesomest crossover ever.

Edited by lucky_jim at 19:25:40 06-07-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 7 Jul 2013 10:28:03 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ... when I read the Eurogamer review of this last year, I was curious to see why it got a 10/10 and after watching a trailer and gameplay footage for Hotline Miami, I thought it looks quite, well ... dull to be honest and a game that requires a certain taste.

Lo and behold, I purchased this when it was available last week and I cannot stop playing let alone thinking about it. Hotline Miami shouldn't be this good on surface, but it really, really is!

I want to go on and on about it however, I would like to complete the game first.

The dog (Rufus?) mask is sssoooooo helpful!
  • JiveHound 7 Jul 2013 11:14:50 2,416 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah, I'm loving this too. Between this, Last of Us and Animal Crossing I'm having a blissful gaming period at the moment.

If Pikmin 3 turns out as good as it looks then I'm going to be seriously chuffed.

What makes this so good, as others have picked out is the instant restart. Just that little detail if done wrong would have taken it from an extremely compelling experience into abject frustration. I love the aesthetic too and I'm not usually enamoured by the retro look. I think the soundtrack really helps. It's full of hazy awesome.

So yeah, highly recommended and the perfect tonic to fishing on a tropical island or turnip haggling.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Deleted user 7 July 2013 13:29:52
    I've obtained the owl mask (not sure of the name) what ability does it give you? Think its says rip and burn. Apologies as I'm not at home to check.
  • Gojiratron 7 Jul 2013 13:53:17 180 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sounds like Willem the monkey - Rip and Steal. Get right up to a guy and press X to execute him and steal his weapon. Pretty useless mask TBH.

PSN/SEN - Gojiratron
    NNID - ConvictAtLarge

• Zizoo 7 Jul 2013 13:55:48 8,288 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What's everyone's favorite mask?

I like the wolf (?) - start with a knife.
  • Progguitarist 7 Jul 2013 13:57:41 10,420 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    According to EG, we're all pretty fond of the gimp mask.
  • Progguitarist 7 Jul 2013 13:57:41 10,420 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 7 July 2013 14:45:28
    ZizouFC wrote:
    What's everyone's favorite mask?

I like the wolf (?) - start with a knife.
    I like the dogs don't attack one! Not sure what the name is :/
  • Zizoo 7 Jul 2013 14:46:38 8,288 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, that one is very handy. I used it for a couple of stages after getting it.
  • greenmekon 7 Jul 2013 15:10:19 171 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The dogs dont attack mask is well handy.
  • Jmog 7 Jul 2013 21:09:56 394 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always go horse mask. Opening doors into enemies faces outright kills them. Extremely handy.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2013 21:18:11
    I'm on chapter 13, what a bitch!

That is all
  • Page

of 9 First / Last