The Last of Us - Spoilery Discussions Only Page 10

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• Folant 1 Jul 2013 18:48:20 1,161 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You mean not like that scene in Jurassic Park with the Brontosaurus?

Great scene though, a bit of quiet reflection before you finish your journey.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• OmniaVincitAmor 1 Jul 2013 20:01:10 1,516 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    OK my opinion for what it's worth. I totally get defending your daughter at all costs. If anyone tried to hurt my little girl they would die. However. Ellie isn't Joel's daughter. The niggling feeling I can't shake is that if you could ever feel the same deep love and protection for essentially a friend who basically becomes family. If I had the choice to sacrifice my daughter, no way. A girl who I become really close to who I've known for a year? To potentially save the world? Maybe.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• Pinky_Floyd 1 Jul 2013 20:07:46 7,698 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    OK my opinion for what it's worth. I totally get defending your daughter at all costs. If anyone tried to hurt my little girl they would die. However. Ellie isn't Joel's daughter. The niggling feeling I can't shake is that if you could ever feel the same deep love and protection for essentially a friend who basically becomes family. If I had the choice to sacrifice my daughter, no way. A girl who I become really close to who I've known for a year? To potentially save the world? Maybe.
    You have to consider what they have been through together, in my game, Ellie saved my life on at least one occasion.

They have been through more in a year than most father/daughters go through in a lifetime.
  • OmniaVincitAmor 1 Jul 2013 20:23:12 1,516 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd good point just don't know if I agree. All the comments on here saying if it was my daughter I would kill everyone I agree with. Like I said I don't know if you can have that bond with someone who you didn't see born etc etc. Not saying Joel did the wrong thing by the way at all. Just think it would be easier to make the sacrifice with Ellie and not Sarah.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• Folant 1 Jul 2013 20:35:47 1,161 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    People bond with animals in much the same way. It's not outside the realm of possibility that Joel grew attached like that, especially in the world they live in.

• Pinky_Floyd 1 Jul 2013 20:49:52 7,698 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @OmniaVincitAmor Joel and Ellie love each other. Same way I fell in love with my wife, although a different type of love obviously.

With Joel and Ellie, love is the bond, not blood.
  • wogsy81 2 Jul 2013 02:11:31 719 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A effing brilliant game.
    Just completed it and man it was good. I must say i didn't even give the doctors a chance to blink.
    I was wound up to hell and all i wanted to do was save ellie. I thought that when i found her she would already be dead and i would be too late.
    But as soon as i seen her on that table with her skull intact i blasted the shit out of them 3 doctors without even blinking.

I wanted to save Ellie. No question. Even though im putting the needs of the few among the needs of the many i believe in the saying "theres always another way" and i told myself that at the end.

I personally wouldn't have lied to Ellie i would have told it like it is. Yes i want to find a cure but im not willing to murder an innocent person to do it. Sooner or later someone will figure out a way to get the cure from your brain without killing her or by some other pharmecutical means.

I felt a little grubby at the end with lying to Ellie but understand why Joel done it. I just would have told her. Theres always another way.

Anyways, sorry for rambling but yeah, bloody amazing game.
    10/10.

Endure and survive.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 2 Jul 2013 07:07:03 11,294 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wogsy81 wrote: But as soon as i seen her on that table with her skull intact i blasted the shit out of them 3 doctors without even blinking.
    I admire your restraint, I dealt with them the old-fashioned way, up-close and personal...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Scimarad 2 Jul 2013 08:59:35 8,536 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wogsy81

I'm not sure that telling Ellie the truth would really have been that kind, though she obviously knew Joel was lying to her. I think the fact that she accepts it suggests she understands his reasoning for doing what he did, at least there and then. One thing is for sure, she is going to have to deal with a lot of guilt as she gets older. Still, let's face it, she was born into a world where everyone has to look out for themselves if they want to survive.
  • King_Edward 2 Jul 2013 09:51:15 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He lies to her because he knows, given the choice, she'd die to get a cure, and he's not willing to let her do that. Beyond that's it's ambiguous. I saw her reaction as her sweltering her guilt, and agreeing to live for his sake, because he needs her.
    It could've just been a set up for the 'Ellie runs away' sequel though.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Jul 2013 09:56:55 8,013 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did anyone else think that Ellie's arm looked worse when she looked at it for the last time?

That maybe she was not quite immune? More a case of a very slow transformation.
  • Daeltaja 2 Jul 2013 10:37:27 1,047 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My favourite gameplay segment was during Winter as Ellie. Taking out the guys in the small lakeside village exclusively with bow and arrow felt incredibly satisfying. Loved how their blood sprayed across the snow and it even landed on individual blades of grass.

Unlike others who felt reluctant to kill as Ellie, it was the opposite for me. I went into full survival mode and took out anything that moved. I knew I was fighting to save Joel and my mentality simply changed, as it did at the end in reversed roles.

Pretty amazing how the game controlled my emotions given how cautious and stealthy I played throughout the rest of the game.
  • HarryPalmer 2 Jul 2013 11:12:50 3,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, what an ending!

Really brave to end on that note, left me feeling very conflicted, but really highlighted how hurt Joel was by the death of his daughter.

One of the best pieces of entertainment I've experienced in a long while. Not sure I'll be playing anything else until GTA5.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 11:13:11 02-07-2013
  • neems 2 Jul 2013 11:32:24 1,217 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    @mcmothercruncher

Pretty certain Tommy is dead. (Assuming he is the brother).

Ellie went through the ruins of a power plant with David. Looks like it was overrun. No idea of there were survivors.

That was a different place, she had never been there before. The town you are standing above at the very end of the game is part of the place where Tommy lives (it gets it's power from the dam).
  • RobAnybody 2 Jul 2013 12:57:08 890 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Did anyone else think that Ellie's arm looked worse when she looked at it for the last time?

A few people have asked about this on other forums but after looking at LPs on YouTube the general consensus was that it was unchanged.
  • RyanDS 2 Jul 2013 13:01:49 9,257 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:

I did. I thought the ending was building up to "she is just slower to succumb, not immune2 making it epicly tragic.

I am glad I was wrong.
  • Scimarad 2 Jul 2013 14:36:59 8,536 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought the comparison to what happens to Joel when falls on a spike versus what happens to Lara Croft when she falls on a spike were quite amusing. Joel was out of action for what was probably weeks, almost died and was really slow when he finally got moving whereas Lara was basically fine within about 5 minutes and it's never mentioned again. Gritty reboot, my arse:)

Edited by Scimarad at 14:37:17 02-07-2013
  • King_Edward 2 Jul 2013 14:40:34 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah. There's a similar comparison with the buck she shot too. No soppy apologies here, Ellie wants it dead cos she's hungry.
  • Folant 2 Jul 2013 15:03:17 1,161 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hope you can do the conversations and jokes with chapter select, can think of one possible conversation I might have missed, but would rather just grab an online video for the conversations and the rest of the collectibles. I've had enough of playing it through from the start, 3 times in 2 and a bit weeks.

(Bill and his partner, I'm thinking there might be a conversation there after Joel finds the letter. Maybe.)

• chrisno21 2 Jul 2013 17:25:01 1,494 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Folant wrote:
    Hope you can do the conversations and jokes with chapter select, can think of one possible conversation I might have missed, but would rather just grab an online video for the conversations and the rest of the collectibles. I've had enough of playing it through from the start, 3 times in 2 and a bit weeks.

(Bill and his partner, I'm thinking there might be a conversation there after Joel finds the letter. Maybe.)
    There is - you can give Bill the letter.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• mcmothercruncher 2 Jul 2013 18:34:00 6,813 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thought the Bill thing was a neat little twist to all the external gruffness. He just wanted a hug. You know, a hug.
  • King_Edward 2 Jul 2013 21:35:17 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
  • the_dudefather 2 Jul 2013 21:38:58 9,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You must've fired about 85% of the bullets in the game!

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• King_Edward 2 Jul 2013 21:52:12 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wasn't me. Saw it on Reddit, but good point.
  • King_Edward 2 Jul 2013 21:57:04 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also, did everyone already know Nolan North voiced David? That guy has some serious range.
  • mcmothercruncher 2 Jul 2013 21:59:05 6,813 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah deliciously creepy. Good job he has range though, seeing as he's in EVERYTHING ;)

In other news, really like Joel's Autumn shirt. Must wear more plaid.
  • Folant 2 Jul 2013 22:09:50 1,161 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    When I saw Nolan North in the credits I was was all "dafuq dat ain't Nolan North behave yourself"
    But there it is. The man can do anything.

• Deleted user 3 July 2013 00:43:54
    As a story experience it is definitely great 8/10 -10/10 stuff. But as gameplay game it was more 6/10 recycled paint on a brown plasticine game engine. An over use of generic game engines is making even the best story experience games feel very off the peg (me too) and have some of the worst running in quicksand moments and QA crash issues.

All through the game I was frustrated by the engine compromises made to provide the visuals, and was crying out for MGS4 's superior visuals and user interface for a higher level of gameplay fun. The UI levelling systems is probably the worst design choice going in TloU, with the weapon selection/swapping a close second. The developers are using it as a poor design mechanic to generate panic and fear, and yet it is just frustration imo. More than once I was ready to just stop playing from the worst gameplay elements that frustrated me.

On the issue of story; yes I killed all the medical staff at the end, but the last one was only because I thought it was required to interact with Elle when the press triangle icon didn't appear after shooting the first doctor that raised his scalpel? or hands? too quick ;).

They deserved to die anyway imo, for breaking their doctor's oath to preserve all life. People might try to paint Joel as the villain at the end. But nature was choosing to eliminate the weak, and Elle was neither weak or at risk to infection, so preserving the weaker human DNA by killing off nature's choice of DNA makes no sense, and the doctors should have known that themselves and put forward a different ethical argument.

Either way, the game was worth a play and the money imo, and lots to mull over about the story and a potential sequel.
  • Velocityraptor 3 Jul 2013 07:29:57 15 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @the_dudefather

You get tons of ammo in the final stages for the automatic rifle on the Fireflies. Think I had something like 60+ bullets in the end.
  • Velocityraptor 3 Jul 2013 07:41:32 15 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @vizzini

Do you not see the hypocrisy in "they deserved to die for breaking their doctors oath"? Perhaps Joel deserved to die for all the lives he'd taken to sustain his own? "Nature" became what they made it, from people clustering in packs to survive, to a doctor creating a vaccine, to Joel ultimately killing (or not killing) the medical staff.

Preserving the stronger DNA? Could very easily have been the fungus that mutated rather than anything to do with Ellie, or she could easily have died at any stage if the narrative had demanded it. I suppose what I'm saying is "nature" comes too much down to chance (at least in the case of the individual) for anyone to ever say I'm doing X in the name of nature (also it's so easy to Godwin's Law this, but I'll resist).

I don't/can't condemn Joel's decision to save Ellie, but when it comes to justifying killing the doctors (in cold blood), and trying to legitimately justify it beyond emotional reasons... I don't see it.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last