Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 Page 28

• Page

of 37 First / Last

• -Metro 3 Oct 2013 19:37:15 10 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    FIFA has spoiled me this gen, hasn't it? Judging by my first couple of games, online is broken in this. It's almost unplayable, the input lag is horrific.

It's a shame, because the core gameplay is so good, I really like it's methodical tempo.

Does it get better post-release? Is it because I'm living in Oz and playing against Euro's (PES is nothing down here it seems)?

Do Konami not realise that online is how a lot of people play footie games in 2014?! This is like something out of the dark ages!
  • freedumb 3 Oct 2013 20:31:00 1,110 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @dunny

I have to let go left stick, then press right stick, then press left stick again! now i understand

why make it so complicated? in FIFA i could move both right and left sticks at the same time
    You don't have to let go of the ls. Just move rs up or down once to do stepovers.

Although you can combine it with a quick change of direction just after the stepover if the situation requires it; if not just do a simple stepover.

Edited by freedumb at 20:32:16 03-10-2013
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 20:32:54
    @-Metro

The Online in both games is roughly equal in similar network condition. So yes, the problem you have is that you +150ms of switching latency from your opponent when playing people in Europe. If you had the same network game setup with Fifa 2014, the game would appear equally laggy or worse than PES.

Short of Konami finding a pot of gold to buy out EA and get the Fifa license marketing and money train, they'll always suffer to compete on uneven sales of their game that result in more frequent network scenarios like you described.

My advice, get some local gaming friends and play local. All "internet" online (in both games, and all games for that matter)is broken when you analyse it at a frame by frame level.
  • freedumb 3 Oct 2013 21:15:55 1,110 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Its not money. Konami are the 5th biggest videogame publisher in the world and PES sells millions every year. They have the money to improve, if they were bothered.

Also the scenario above would likely not be repeated in FIFA as they seem to have dedicated servers. 9/10 FIFA games don't lag, at least from my experience of FIFA 09 and 10.

Konami need to invest in better online infrastructure, they don't seem to care about online, which is missing a big trick to lure in more customers/market share.

Edited by freedumb at 21:17:43 03-10-2013
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 21:19:29
    I hate fifa online.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 22:15:49
    @freedumb

That is just flat out wrong.

Dedicated servers make a small difference to the level of latency we are discussing, it is the result of telecoms packeting switching through about 4 or 5 hops minimum with packet fragmentation.

In a lab type experiment setup you could get it down to about 40ms with high QoS dedicated VPN bandwidth from a point in Australia to to mainland Europe for gaming. So EA could probably get it down from 150ms to 100ms (with dedicated servers). But this is still the internet and high QoS bandwidth from two distant points is still limited and too expensive for console gaming.
  • FuzzyDuck 3 Oct 2013 22:17:37 4,217 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wait, is the Data Pack downloadable these days?
  • elephantjuice 3 Oct 2013 22:20:08 676 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @freedumb

That is just flat out wrong.

Dedicated servers make a small difference to the level of latency we are discussing, it is the result of telecoms packeting switching through about 4 or 5 hops minimum with packet fragmentation.

In a lab type experiment setup you could get it down to about 40ms with high QoS dedicated VPN bandwidth from a point in Australia to to mainland Europe for gaming. So EA could probably get it down from 150ms to 100ms (with dedicated servers). But this is still the internet and high QoS bandwidth from two distant points is still limited and too expensive for console gaming.
    Really? Do you have to do this in every thread you post in?
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 22:34:06
    @elephantjuice

What? Dispel great marketing myths that bullshiters have hidden behind to unfairly criticise their competition? Yeah, I probably do if people insist on asserting things that are false. What is your problem with me correcting the false assertions?

Are you a PES 2014 player or going to buy it?
  • elstoof 3 Oct 2013 22:46:41 7,522 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :D
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 22:47:16
    @FuzzyDuck

I had no problems downloading the data pack when I tried about a week ago. The game installed the 1.01 update before the game first loaded and then I installed the game to my PS3 HDD prior to download/install of the data pack, so maybe that made a difference.
  • elephantjuice 3 Oct 2013 23:12:27 676 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @vizzini

@vizzini

I'm not disputing the point you were making it's the way in which you do it. Everything has to be broken down and analysed to the nth degree with as much tech jargon thrown in as possible. Just doesn't seem necessary.

To answer your question, I have PES 2013 which I don't get on with but I've enjoyed the 2014 demo a great deal more but I'm still on the fence about it.
  • FuzzyDuck 3 Oct 2013 23:29:58 4,217 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @vizzini

Huh. That's exactly the sequence I tried it in on day 1.

Will give it another whirl over the weekend, PES is always better vs. other people.
  • -Metro 4 Oct 2013 04:01:53 10 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Is there any hope for this online? New FIFA's are usually pretty shonky themselves for the first week or two - but then they fix it.

And come to think of it, I've had smooth-as-butter FIFA 13 games from Oz with my mates in Europe, so I don't think it's that.

How can Konami think their crappy netcode is okay? I don't want to trade it in for FIFA 14, but I need a good online footie game..
  • MontyBrewster 4 Oct 2013 09:15:37 253 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    -Metro wrote:
    Is there any hope for this online? I don't want to trade it in for FIFA 14, but I need a good online footie game..
    Sometimes they'll be minor improvements for lag, otherwise you need to wait for the following year's game. Lots of people are saying this is unplayable online, Japanese publishers just don't understand the importance of online in the West.

Whatever you may think of Fifa's gameplay, at least the online works as intended.
  • THFourteen 4 Oct 2013 09:27:49 33,631 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I might actually have to get FIFA just because i'm bored of the game modes already in PES.

I played a UEFA cup, a CL, and i cant be bothered to start a master league until the D2 Championship teams are patched (althoguh i cant be Palace this year as they are prem!).

The one thing about FIFA is that there are SO many game modes that i never have enough time to actually play all the ones i want even in a year.

I also massivley miss the ultimate team mode.
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2013 09:33:13 68,063 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's all about Master League surely? Play a league until Championship teams are available...
  • spindle9988 4 Oct 2013 09:39:18 3,597 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As I mentioned a few pages back. Pro 6 woeked perfectly online, so I just dont know what happened after that
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 4 Oct 2013 09:45:44 6,652 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tbf I had five games online last night. It felt on par with FIFA. No warping whatsoever.
  • binky Moderator 4 Oct 2013 09:46:24 9,675 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I might actually have to get FIFA just because i'm bored of the game modes already in PES.

I played a UEFA cup, a CL, and i cant be bothered to start a master league until the D2 Championship teams are patched (althoguh i cant be Palace this year as they are prem!).

The one thing about FIFA is that there are SO many game modes that i never have enough time to actually play all the ones i want even in a year.

I also massivley miss the ultimate team mode.
    Ultimate Team has spoiled everything else to be honest. It's really that good.
  • THFourteen 4 Oct 2013 09:55:09 33,631 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    It's all about Master League surely? Play a league until Championship teams are available...
    But thats just dull. you play 38 games and then just quit.

At least with a career mode you can move on to the next year and do transfers and stuff
  • Deleted user 4 October 2013 09:59:31
    Tried to play a game of Pro Evo at the EG Expo and I don't know if this was the default setup or whether the previous players had been fucking around with the controls but the game was literally playing itself. My friend and I just put our controllers down and watched laughing as my team nearly scored with no input from me, while his team admirably defended and punted the ball up field.

Then had a lucky escape as slightly drunkenly knocked over my half pint of blackcurrant cider and panicked before realising it went nowhere near anything electronic.

As for the game itself, I'm guessing free kicks must be really easy this year as I scored two belters in the top corner very easily as I won 3-1. Played as Yorkshire Orange which was pretty fucking funny.
  • binky Moderator 4 Oct 2013 10:04:34 9,675 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Was it switched to coach mode?
  • Deleted user 4 October 2013 10:13:12
    Don't think so it just had assists on for almost everything. The free kicks were pure skill obvs.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2013 10:15:37
    @HairyArse

No, it is a combination of the support options by default (auto feint on, auto slide on, team mate control auto) and if you went with cursor switch unassisted, then the AI would most likely have been making loads of buffered one-two passes and player movements before you had time to press L1 to switch player and take control. Semi-assisted is the way to go now imo.

@FuzzyDuck
    The network issue on the front page looks decidedly like it is a problem using uPnP on their home network routers and MS/Sony servers setting the MTU packet size too large.

Try going into your PS3 network settings and disable uPnP and set the MTU to 1500 or 1460 to see if that fixes the problem.
  • nickthegun 4 Oct 2013 10:19:20 60,170 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its very difficult to overstate how much shit you talk.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deleted user 4 October 2013 10:21:35
    We put the joypads down and watched it for 30 seconds. They weren't buffered presses.
  • nickthegun 4 Oct 2013 10:22:53 60,170 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You knocked over another pint of cider?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• binky Moderator 4 Oct 2013 10:27:44 9,675 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    We put the joypads down and watched it for 30 seconds. They weren't buffered presses.
    Really sounds like coach mode if you can do that!
  • Deleted user 4 October 2013 10:28:56
    nickthegun wrote:
    You knocked over another pint of cider?
    Haha. Yeah. My second. Fucking expensive one too as it was inside the expo.
  • Page

of 37 First / Last