OS X Mavericks 10.9 Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • mcmothercruncher 26 Oct 2013 22:18:07 6,713 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hooooooray!

I've been hung at "installing: one minute to go" for about an hour now. Fuck it, I'll leave it on overnight and savour clearing that shite up tomorrow morning.
  • mcmothercruncher 27 Oct 2013 07:50:20 6,713 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, it grumbled away overnight and was sat there this morning all installinated. I bet you all hardly slept, sorry for the drama.

It does seem a bit snappier, I like it. The way windows move from one window to another is odd after years of being able to park them half way across. No practical use of course but it felt natural. Plus, really useful but thoroughly odd to have two sets of file menus. Absolutely love the tabbed folders though- I can finally just maximise the thing and move between different work folders in an instant.

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 07:51:09 27-10-2013
  • TarickStonefire 27 Oct 2013 09:30:39 2,994 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    One thing I have read, is that it completely and utterly fucks over Mail/Gmail users. Again, I haven't noticed that either, but I'm not upgrading my main iMac, possibly ever, unless that's fixed.
    How goes it mess with the GMail / Mail combo?
    IMAP and the All Mail tag/flag/folder/whatever Gmail calls it. Used to be you could stop All Mail showing up in Mail and that solved a lot of problems. Now because of changes to Mail, you pretty much have to have All Mail show up if you want to keep consistency in your Read/Unread/Filed away in the correct folder/tag/flag/whatever the fuck Gmail calls it. Except that introduces new problems of it's own - one of which is that transitioning from 'not including All Mail' to 'including All Mail' in your Mail app will trigger a complete download of your ENTIRE Gmail folder to your Mac. That takes hours, if not days. Then the Mac goes through it all and reassigns and sorts and files and deletes until eventually you'll be left with a clean, single-copy-of-everything Mail that's the way it should be. Eventually.

Eurgh. It sounds hateful. Google for it, there's a chap who's written about it in depth at 512 pixels.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 27 Oct 2013 09:32:15 2,994 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm still failing to notice anything snappier or longer-lasting on my 2009 MBP. If anything I've had to put up with considerably more, and longer, slow-downs and freezes since installing it.

• mcmothercruncher 27 Oct 2013 09:36:06 6,713 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A fluffy, cuddly Apple overview of the new features.
  • mcmothercruncher 27 Oct 2013 09:44:59 6,713 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is a logic issue with the dual screen File menu thing- by default, both windows show the Finder menu, one greyed out when inactive.
    If you open, say, just Safari, then whichever side it is running on receives the Safari file menu. Fine, however, when you move the Safari window from one monitor to another, that new monitor displays the Safari menu- which is logical- but a dimmed Safari window is left behind on the original- which isn't. If you click back to the original monitor it changes to the Finder menu- it ought to have assume the menu for the Finder already there, or instead, whatever application is in the background, but in view, on that monitor.

That hurt my head, and hard to explain :(
  • TarickStonefire 27 Oct 2013 09:52:38 2,994 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    A fluffy, cuddly Apple overview of the new features.
    Hmm.

iBooks: never gonna use it.
    Maps: never gonna use it (hello Google Maps, you're 1 million times more accurate!)
    Calendar: it looks less annoying, that's about the only really useful feature
    Safari: looks the same to me. Different Top Sites layout, never use any of the other features. I lol'd at 'Surf Longer' like that's a 'feature'.
    Tags: never gonna use em. What's the point? I've got terabytes worth of data that isn't tagged, I'm not going to start now.
    Multiple displays: not applicable to me, hope it's useful if you use them.
    iCloud Keychain: like I'm gonna trust my passwords to Apple's servers. I trust 1Password way more.
    Notifications: isn't new. Marginally less annoying.
    Finder tabs: meh.

Is that *it*? Those are the absolute top features they chose to showcase?

I hate to be such a misery guts as usually I'm into Apple stuff but... pfft. No wonder it's free.

• dominalien 27 Oct 2013 10:27:15 6,848 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It also broke my Ubuntu install even more than new OS X versions usually do. That could be listed as a feature, I suppose.

PSN: DonOsito

• speedofthepuma 27 Oct 2013 10:51:39 13,278 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So there's a weird bug in numbers, where it fucks up dates; it treats February as March etc. took me ages to fix some of my files.

And then as has been pointed out, none of the new features are of any importance (to me).

Finally once again the bandit bastards of parallels software have ensured you need to update to their next version if you want it to work with Mavericks.

Just not great thus far.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• spindizzy 28 Oct 2013 10:43:17 6,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Jeepers wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    One thing I have read, is that it completely and utterly fucks over Mail/Gmail users. Again, I haven't noticed that either, but I'm not upgrading my main iMac, possibly ever, unless that's fixed.
    How goes it mess with the GMail / Mail combo?
    IMAP and the All Mail tag/flag/folder/whatever Gmail calls it. Used to be you could stop All Mail showing up in Mail and that solved a lot of problems. Now because of changes to Mail, you pretty much have to have All Mail show up if you want to keep consistency in your Read/Unread/Filed away in the correct folder/tag/flag/whatever the fuck Gmail calls it. Except that introduces new problems of it's own - one of which is that transitioning from 'not including All Mail' to 'including All Mail' in your Mail app will trigger a complete download of your ENTIRE Gmail folder to your Mac. That takes hours, if not days. Then the Mac goes through it all and reassigns and sorts and files and deletes until eventually you'll be left with a clean, single-copy-of-everything Mail that's the way it should be. Eventually.

Eurgh. It sounds hateful. Google for it, there's a chap who's written about it in depth at 512 pixels.
    That's weird! I use gmail the whole time, and I've not noticed any problem on the 3 computers I've upgraded so far.

In general this has been one of the most painless updates ever. And the battery life improvements are very impressive. I think I agree with the Ars Technica measurements - I've not done the detailed tests they did, but a 20-30% improvement seems about right. The aggressive attempts never to use the swap space should help with SSD lifespan too...

Very impressed with Mavericks so far - the only real problem I've had is some very work-specific stuff with gccxml, and I'm also not impressed by the 'dumbing' down of Pages etc that I've read about...
  • boo 28 Oct 2013 10:53:50 11,735 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Took backups of everything last night, and will give Mavericks a go tonight.
    Looking forward to imnproved battery life, but I've been avoiding iTunes 11 ever since launch, so I suspect that I may get a bit grumpy where that's concerned.
    If it turns out to be awful, I'll wipe the lot and go back to Lion.

Just Another Lego Blog

• monkeyspasm 28 Oct 2013 10:58:31 2,774 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @speedofthepuma I'm using Parallels 7 fine with Mavericks, what version do you use?
  • kdsh7 28 Oct 2013 12:12:04 1,167 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkeyspasm wrote:
    @speedofthepuma I'm using Parallels 7 fine with Mavericks, what version do you use?
    Parallels doesn't work for me anymore - just endless warnings about needing Parallels9.

Edit: to clarify further, I get a couple of warnings about needing to upgrade, but afterwards a message about hardware virtualisation not being enabled, followed by a message about not being able to load the Parallels driver.

I was reading some reviews for Parallels9 on Amazon this morning, and a lot of people complaining that Parallels is essentially subscription based because your software is only usable for about a year. I'm inclined to agree at this point.

Edited by kdsh7 at 12:16:17 28-10-2013
  • boo 29 Oct 2013 08:12:34 11,735 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Installed last night with no apparent problems. Took a few mins to 'put things back to normal', like Safari actually opening to my homepage, rather than the Top Sites screen, and making iTunes 11 look more like iTunes 10.

Apart from that though, seems ok. Will be curious to see what the battery life is like from now on.

Am very pissed off about the power button becoming a 'sleep toggle' button. You now have to hold it down for 1.5 seconds to get the shutdown menu. Will be looking to see if there's a workaround for that. If I want the machine to sleep, I close the lid!

Just Another Lego Blog

• yegon 29 Oct 2013 08:30:12 5,211 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That "sleep toggle" change is a strange one. Can't say it pisses me off as such, I'll get used to it eventually, but I do currently press the power button then, by force of habit, hit the S button...which switches it back on, harrumph.
  • boo 29 Oct 2013 08:33:02 11,735 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently CTRL + Power button brings up the old menu.

Just Another Lego Blog

• CharlieStCloud 2 Jun 2014 16:04:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just glanced upon the leaked alleged photos of OS X 10.10 called Yosemite and I have got to say, they really have gone after the flat design which the likes of both Google and Microsoft have already implemented within their respective OS's for YONKS.

... not sure if this is going to please some folks, especially those foam-mouthed fanboys on Mac Rumours who always say how terrible the modern day Windows 8 interface is as well as the flat look that Android introduced back in late 2012, early 2013.

Expect lots and lots of U-turns on websites dedicated to Apple to take place later this evening!

/o\
  • modula 3 Jun 2014 01:43:05 248 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Reckon it'll be ok - it still looks very much like OS X, just without all the gradient-y gubbins; somewhere between iOS7 & OS X now. I just hope it works better with Adobe software than Mavericks - had to ditch that after a day's very painful use.
  • DiddlerDo 3 Jun 2014 07:48:36 1,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Just glanced upon the leaked alleged photos of OS X 10.10 called Yosemite and I have got to say, they really have gone after the flat design which the likes of both Google and Microsoft have already implemented within their respective OS's for YONKS.

... not sure if this is going to please some folks, especially those foam-mouthed fanboys on Mac Rumours who always say how terrible the modern day Windows 8 interface is as well as the flat look that Android introduced back in late 2012, early 2013.

Expect lots and lots of U-turns on websites dedicated to Apple to take place later this evening!

/o\
    Or, indeed, people preferring this to that? Hardly inconceivable.
  • Fake_Blood 27 Jul 2014 09:18:05 4,157 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Beta has been released, downloading it now.

https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/
  • Fake_Blood 27 Jul 2014 12:20:44 4,157 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Seems ok so far, I like the dark menu option.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next