Looking for overclock help

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • TheBlackDog 25 May 2013 20:25:38 384 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've been struggling to get an overclock working which I feel should work based on what I've read of others experiences - I've often read advice to say turn off all options like Turbo, c-states, etc when overclocking but there are plenty of people who have dynamic overclocks working (just not me). The overclock is stable during Prime95, Intel Burn Test and whatever else I try, but I'm getting BSOD when idle, just browsing the web, etc. 9 out of 10 times, the BSOD gives a code 0x116 or 0x119. The crash occurs within a few minutes of logging in but can sometimes take up to 20 minutes. The top part of the screen (a jagged top half, not a clean line across the screen) goes black, system freezes and the BSOD. I might be imagining it but from the slight change in fan speed just before the crash, I assume its changing clock frequencies - wonder if somehow something is undervolting and causing instability.

I'm hoping someone here has had the same problem and managed to fix it or knows what to do. These are
    the (slightly out of date) components I'm using:

i5 750
    GA-P55M-UD2 mobo
    2 x 2 GB Crucial ram 1333 9-9-9-24 rated at 1.5v
    Sapphire stock HD5850
    OCZ 500w Mod Xstream Pro PSU
    Hyper 212+ cooler

The problem doesn't happen when I load the fail-safe settings in BIOS, or when I run stock settings. It also doesn't happen when I overclock to 4 ghz or beyond but only seems to happen when I have turbo and EIST & c-states enabled.

So the problem is that I want to to reach 4 ghz on only 1-2 cores with Turbo (multiplier of 24x) and for all 4 cores I'd get 3.5 ghz with Turbo (multiplier of 21x). Then, just for surfing, listening to music, I would have a multiplier of 9x giving me about 1.5 ghz. Keeps the volts down, the temps down and the fans quieter. I also want to keep all the energy saving stuff on, and Turbo boost and c-states etc.

The BIOS settings I have been using are:

vcore: Normal with an offset voltage of + 0.5v
    QPI/Vtt: 1.15v
    PCH: 1.05v
    PLL: 1.80v
    Dram: 1.50v
    QPI multi: x32
    BClk: 167x
    Multiplier: 20x
    Load Line calibration: Disabled
    Memory multiplier: x8
    Loose settings on memory: can get 1600 at 8-8-8-22 but have been leaving it at auto which gives 9-9-9-24 1T

I've tried jacking the volts up to 1.35v fixed (not on an offset), VTT at 1.34v, DRAM at 1.64v, tried

with LLC on and off, PCH up to 1.15v and PLL up to 1.9v. I've twiddled with ram options to go from Quick to Standard performance. I tried turning off C3/C6/C7 c-states but then Turbo wouldn't work. I also thought it might be a video card driver problem so I did a clean sweep and reinstall of drivers without installing Catalyst Control center. I'm running 2 monitors but it happens even if I disable one of the displays so I don't think its that (the GPU adjust clocks perfectly depending on whether 1 or 2 monitors are enabled, and I don't get any flickering).

I think I've read everything I could Google over the past few weeks but I haven't stumbled across the solution yet. Any help greatly appreciated.
  • TheBlackDog 27 May 2013 12:14:11 384 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    tl;dr ?? Oops.
  • Dirtbox 27 May 2013 12:16:55 77,703 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    More like every system is different and no one has your exact config to be able to offer any help without the very real danger of fucking your PC.

So here's my advice - set everything to the maximum, and if it crashes then turn it all down a step. Continue until you have a pile of molten slag and/or a working PC.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Zizoo 27 May 2013 12:17:50 8,279 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sweet rig, bra.
  • TheBlackDog 27 May 2013 12:33:49 384 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah - fair enough. At least someone could have replied to tell me to stab it with a fork ! I've seen that one a few times. Lazy fuckers.
  • DFawkes 27 May 2013 12:42:45 22,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    So here's my advice - set everything to the maximum, and if it crashes then turn it all down a step. Continue until you have a pile of molten slag and/or a working PC.
    For what it's worth, this is pretty much what I did. I think my PC had a thermal cut-off thingy (that's the technical name) as it never melted - it'd just automatically shutdown and reset the overclock.

Eventually got it to a stable level, but it was an old and not particularly well specced machine so it didn't really make all that much difference. I just did it so I could eventually regale you all with this riveting tale. No relevance to you, really. Or this thread. Waste of my time writing, and yours reading. Sorry.

Edit: Forgot the details! The stable level was 400MHz extra. I know, check me out!

Edited by DFawkes at 12:44:55 27-05-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Chopsen 27 May 2013 12:51:49 15,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As already said, the overclocking capacity of any system is variable, even for two system with identical components. Ymmv. This is a vaguely safe approach:

1. Get some temp monitoring s/w
    2. Go up by the smallest increment in speed you can.
    3. stress test the system.
    4. If it crashes and the temps were acceptable, increase relevant voltages. Then rpt 2-3.
    5. If it crashes due to overheating, you need to reduce the voltages. Then rpt 2-3
    6. If it crashes due to overheating and you can't reduce voltages to help, buy a better cooling system for the overheating component. rpt 2-3.
    7. If it crashes due to overheating and you can't reduce voltages to help, and you've got the best cooling system you can, stop.

Anything more detailed than that, you've got to get by trial and error.
  • TheBlackDog 27 May 2013 13:01:20 384 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Chopsen Cheers for the explanation. Not trying (very hard) to be an arse but I've read and followed all the steps for overclocking on the usual sites. I'm just struggling with the last little bit to do with getting it stable at idle.

Temps and heavy load stress testing aren't the problem - I can go above 4 ghz and be within temps, and at 4 ghz I don't go over 60c after renewing the old thermal paste and putting a new fan on the CPU heatsink at the weekend.

Its something to do with enabling turbo and c-states, because if I have all 4 cores running at 4 ghz, not changing the clocks up or down, its fine.

Just thought someone might have solved a similar problem where they had a system pass shitloads of stress testing but still get crashing at idle while web browsing.
  • Chopsen 27 May 2013 13:14:06 15,870 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're wanting to use power saving features as well as overclock, you're introducing a whole new variable: how the bios decides which settings to adjust and how much.

At a guess, all the automatic speed and fan adjustments that the bios is doing are tailored to accommodate stock CPU settings and behaviour. Changing the base voltages will change the relationship between speed and heat creation, or voltage and stability, giving unpredictable results. Do you know what actually happens when the power saving mode kicks in? Does it reduce voltages as well as clock speed?

If you've got no control over how the BIOS makes those adjustments, you're likely to be unable to solve it. If I'm reading you right.
  • TheBlackDog 27 May 2013 13:34:22 384 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Chopsen Yeah - I get what you mean about introducing more variables. On my Gigabyte board I've got an option for adding or subtracting an amount of voltage to "normal" or stock voltage for vcore. This is what is used (with success) by people doing a dynamic overclock (keeping all of the energy saving and turbo boost options).

I'm using this offset voltage to add +0.4375v to vcore although to be honest, it doesn't matter if I add 1.4375 v or whatever. It seems to be enough vcore for passing Prime95 but still crashes randomly at idle.

So yes, the mobo and BIOS, plus the EIST and c-state features of the CPU are designed to reduce volts and speeds/multipliers. And it works fine too. I can see in CPU-Z, RealTemp, Hardware Monitor, that my volts go up and down with the multiplier and changes to how many cores are running.

When I run Prime95 for 1 or 2 threads, I can see 2 cores active and Turbo Boost makes the multipier 24x which gets me 4 ghz. Then I run 4 threads, and al 4 cores are active, Turbo Boost is then limited to 21x giving me 3.5 ghz.

When I'm surfing or doing light stuff, I can see the multiplier is at 9x (not sure how many cores are working) and the speed is at 1.5 ghz.

So in CPU-Z I can see that, depending on my vcore settings, at 4 ghz, it'll take 1.3v - 1.4v, (its stable under stress testing at 1.3). At 3.5 ghz it takes 1.2v ish. And at idle, with 9x multi, it takes 0.9v ish.

It changes speeds/multis/volts as you'd expect, fans change accordingly using PWM set in the BIOS. Consequently, my temps are all good too - they change as you'd expect, with voltage.

Most guides say to add vcore volts (or start high and reduce 'til stable), and then tweak VTT and various other voltages too, if necessary. I suspect I need to be changing two or more variable at the same time but even after reading all of the guides, because I don't really understand the relationship between all of the different voltages, I don't have a good idea which other variables would be sensible to change. Having said that, I did bump up VTT, PLL, PCH and DRAM volts to just under the recommended max levels and still no joy.

Then you come across something that says it might be good to even reduce PLL to get stable under "some" scenarios !! I haven't even thought about touching clock cycles or shit like that.

Edited by TheBlackDog at 13:42:12 27-05-2013
  • TheBlackDog 27 Jun 2013 10:48:55 384 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Just in case this helps anyone, I thought I'd post the solution to my overclock problem.

All I needed to do was set PCI-Express frequency to 101 in the BIOS. Apparently, (old ?) Gigabyte boards sometimes need that to lock the frequency down to 100. At least thats what I read somewhere.

Anyway, tried it, and it works - no more BSODs and crashes. CPU now idles at 0.9v/1.5 Ghz and ramps up to 4.1 Ghz at 1.3v happily. Should last me another few years with an eventual GPU upgrade.
  • DugBriderider 15 Oct 2013 11:03:21 528 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thought I would piggy back this latest Overclocking Thread. I am looking to over clock an older system to tied me over until I can afford a new heart to my PC. I will be getting a Graphics card and some RAM but the CPU will hold me back for a while.

3.15 ghz Intel Core Duo 6Mb cache + ASUS P5E-VM HDMI mobo Micro-ATX

The problem I have is that none of the motherboard software & drivers supports Windows 7 32bit (and I'm shortly upgrading to Windows 8 64bit)

Is there generic software that can do the job?
  • boo 15 Oct 2013 11:10:25 11,751 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A. I took my car, dropped the suspension, added a much bigger turbo, replaced the air filter, added a custom back box, put on a huge tailpipe, had the cylinder head reworked, remapped the ECU, replaced the bonnet with a carbon fibre version, debadged it to save weight...

B. Cool. I just bought a car that goes faster in the first place.

;o)

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 1

Previous Next