How second hand sales on XBone will work Page 2

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Deleted user 24 May 2013 11:18:24
    Syrette wrote:
    My thoughts on the pre-owned fee thing, based on what we supposedly know of it so far (since you all value my thoughts on gaming so much):

I'll just be very, very picky about what games I buy. Basically will avoid buying anything that will gather dust after a few weeks. So in other words I'd only get the likes of Battlefield, games that I'll be playing off and on for months, therefore would never be worth selling on.

Any other One games, I'd just do what I do now with the 360, Vita and PS3 and just rent them... which of course is another issue, but one that I hope Microsoft will work out with their rental partners. I'm not paying MS money to rent their games, nor would I pay Lovefilm more to cover their costs. In effect, their rental strategy could be a deal breaker for me.

Anyway, unlike the livid internet hoards who have their minds made up already, me ever getting a One depends almost entirely on the software line-up. If it's worth it to get such and such game, I'll get one.
    Sums up my thoughts nicely.
  • joeymoto108 24 May 2013 11:19:23 617 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    I /really/ sick of hearing "Xbone" already. I hope people get bored of it soon :|
    Nah, its good.
    I also like "The Onesie" which someone on here started using yesterday.
    Onesie sounds the catchiest out of all the names so far.

'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

• MrTomFTW Moderator 24 May 2013 11:25:23 36,290 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    in my mind when someone writes "XBone" I picture the kids that would come into the shop I worked in and say things like "GayStation" and "GayCube".

Obviously XBone isn't homophobic, but it's still on that same silly, childish level.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Cosmopolitan 24 May 2013 11:28:12 1,897 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Xbummer
    We should have a separate thread for these. I still remember GLOLing reading the responses here when Nintendo announced the name for their new upcoming console - the Wii.
    Also XBone, lol.

The Master of Unlocking.

• neilka 24 May 2013 11:28:32 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Three letter acronyms are best, so XB1.
    1 is a number, specifically the loneliest.
  • roz123 24 May 2013 11:31:17 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The article must be bollocks, the percentage cut MS recieve would have to be from the profit otherwise if retailers only recieve a 10% cut from the sale and the cost of buying a game is coming out of their own pockets then just to break even a retailer would have to sell every game for 10x what they bought it for.

Edited by roz123 at 11:31:35 24-05-2013
  • X201 24 May 2013 11:33:34 14,698 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Doesn't retail (try to) work on a 40% margin?
  • nickthegun 24 May 2013 11:35:24 55,877 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try 5%, if that.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Armoured_Bear 24 May 2013 11:36:23 8,749 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    in my mind when someone writes "XBone" I picture the kids that would come into the shop I worked in and say things like "GayStation" and "GayCube".

Obviously XBone isn't homophobic, but it's still on that same silly, childish level.
    Not everyone is as mature as you I guess.

People are making light of and improving on an utterly shit name, simple as that.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Tonka 24 May 2013 11:38:09 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    M$ Xbone
    #lol
    #fail
    #facepalm

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• neilka 24 May 2013 11:39:14 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's obviously not going to be a flat fee of £35 to activate a preowned game otherwise everyone would just do that rather than buying them new.
  • B0rked_Gamer 24 May 2013 11:42:16 1,868 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    XBone is just an abbreviation Xbox One. It isn't really the same as saying shit like gaybox, delaystation poo ect.
  • nickthegun 24 May 2013 11:43:50 55,877 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

People are making light of and improving on an utterly shit name, simple as that.
    I remember you acting with a similarly open minded attitude when people were laughing at 'Wii', speculating that the follow up console was going to be the 'Puu'

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• CosmicFuzz 24 May 2013 11:47:59 21,249 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So you need to buy the used game, which normally a tenner cheaper at best, then fork over another £35 quid to activate it? Fuck that. That's more expensive than the buying it new (which is clearly their intention).

This will also kill the swapsies thread. :(

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 11:49:14 24-05-2013

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• roz123 24 May 2013 11:48:50 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Doesn't retail (try to) work on a 40% margin?
    Even if its 40% its still a massive amount if MS are simply taking a cut from the sale. If GAME buy a game from Johnny for £10 they would have to sell it for £25 just to break even as £15 would go to MS. For it to be worthwhile GAME would have to sell a game they bought for £10 for £30-40.

Edited by roz123 at 12:01:45 24-05-2013
  • TheSaint 24 May 2013 11:52:29 13,630 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe the £35 is the cost per year to allow second hand activations? I could see MS making it another perk of a Gold subscription.
  • neilka 24 May 2013 11:56:23 14,942 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    So you need to buy the used game, which normally a tenner cheaper at best, then fork over another £35 quid to activate it? Fuck that. That's more expensive than the buying it new (which is clearly their intention).

Obviously the £35 wouldn't apply if you bought it preowned from a retailer because they will have deactivated it for the original owner. Then you pay the retailer the preowned price, take it home and it'll let you activate it as if it were brand new.

But if you get a disc that someone's already activated once then you'll need to pay "£35" to activate it a second time, although it seems more likely that you'd have to pay the same price it would cost to just download it from Live.

Edited by neilka at 11:56:43 24-05-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 24 May 2013 12:07:45 21,249 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:

Obviously the £35 wouldn't apply if you bought it preowned from a retailer because they will have deactivated it for the original owner. Then you pay the retailer the preowned price, take it home and it'll let you activate it as if it were brand new.

But if you get a disc that someone's already activated once then you'll need to pay "£35" to activate it a second time, although it seems more likely that you'd have to pay the same price it would cost to just download it from Live.
    The front page story says:

Anyone buying that second-hand game will need to pay an activation fee of £35, a separate unconfirmed report on ConsoleDeals.co.uk claimed.

Does that not mean after buying the game you need to pay on top? I agree, your version does sound more realistic.

What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

• Syrette 24 May 2013 12:09:56 41,889 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

Funny - never seen you mocking the name 'Wii U', which is surely even worse.

• RobTheBuilder 24 May 2013 12:23:32 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought xbone was an amusing contraction... But I do like the idea of the Microsoft Onesie
  • Widge Moderator 24 May 2013 12:25:50 12,602 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Xbone isn't the WORST name you can slight at a console. Half the time I read it as XB-one.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• graysonavich 24 May 2013 12:27:46 6,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just read it as "X Boone" in my head :|

I called it the "Kinetic" for about a year though, I'm not very good with names. I'm a bit of a spastic.
  • Deckard1 24 May 2013 12:30:13 25,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's shit. As is gaystation, Wii Poo, or anything else like that. It's the kind of humour people who enjoy those shitty console based gifs like as well. Haha look random ceo number 1 is fighting random ceo number 2, oh my fucking sides.

Called it

• RobTheBuilder 24 May 2013 12:32:09 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Deckard1 no that's incorrect. Xbone is a proper contraction of the actual name, not a substituted word. It may be a little childish, but nowhere near as much as stupid stuff like Gaystation.
  • oldschoolsoviet 24 May 2013 12:33:06 5,415 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DeckardOnesie.

Yep, works.
  • TarickStonefire 24 May 2013 12:33:32 2,665 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Seeing as nobody except (presumably) some suits at MS know the answer to the question this thread poses, it seems kind of pointless to start it.

I'll wait till we know the actual answer, thanks!

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Widge Moderator 24 May 2013 12:35:16 12,602 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @Deckard1 no that's incorrect. Xbone is a proper contraction of the actual name, not a substituted word. It may be a little childish, but nowhere near as much as stupid stuff like Gaystation.
    XB-LA
    XBLive
    XBone

it follows how people have generally named the Xbox, it just makes an unfortunate circumstance depending on whether you want to put the pause before or after the B.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• TarickStonefire 24 May 2013 12:36:32 2,665 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

I don't think Xbone is silly or childish. No worse than calling the shower of cunts in power right now the 'ConDems'. And absolutely nothing like the kids referring to GayStation or GayCube. I really struggle to find the offense you're finding in Xbone. Is it because 'bone' might be a bit like 'boner'?

I think you're being a wee bitty sensitive and precious, Tom.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 12:37:03 24-05-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Armoured_Bear 24 May 2013 12:39:05 8,749 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Syrette wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

I don't think Xbone is silly or childish. No worse than calling the shower of cunts in power right now the 'ConDems'. And absolutely nothing like the kids referring to GayStation or GayCube. I really struggle to find the offense you're finding in Xbone. Is it because 'bone' might be a bit like 'boner'?

I think you're being a wee bitty sensitive and precious, Tom.
    @Syrette You shoudl read my posts instead of posting whatever preconceived bile pops into your tiny brain, I've criticised the Wuii U name many times, it's shit, stupid and is screwing up their marketing of a new console. They considered changing it and stupidly stuck with it, fucktards.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• mrpon 24 May 2013 12:40:05 27,647 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ban plz.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 15 First / Last