Almost Human - New JJ Abrams show

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • HoriZon 15 May 2013 21:30:37 13,596 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If the combination of J.J. Abrams and his former Fringe producer J.H. Wyman wasnít enough to intrigue you already, the first action-packed trailer for Foxís new series Almost Human has finally arrived ó along with a behind-the-scenes clip with the producers breaking down the premise.

Set 35 years in the future, this sci-fi buddy cop series will follow a loner cop (Karl Urban) who is teamed up with an android. The pitch alone sounds a little cheesy, but the actual footage is great ó and does a whole lot of world-building to establish the android-partner concept and why Urbanís character, John Kennex, is so against it.

Itís a good twist on the cop procedural genre, and it seems like it will be jam-packed with solid sci-fi trappings. With Urban at the center, and Abrams pulling the strings, this could be one of the better true sci-fi series of the fall.

Looking very good tbh one to look forward too.

Edited by HoriZon at 21:41:50 15-05-2013

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Kostabi 15 May 2013 21:40:18 5,086 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With any luck the season finale will be a war with the Soviets and Karl Urban putting the Dredd helmet on...
  • speedofthepuma 15 May 2013 22:31:05 13,320 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooh, that looks good. It's a bit like Enemy Mine.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• crispyduckman 15 May 2013 22:39:53 1,889 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't seem to get along with Michael Ealy. He's so "pretty" it's creepy. His skin seems abnormally soft looking and even his voice has a weird "prettiness" to it. He looks like he should be modelling underwear, not acting. Am I the only one here?

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• StarchildHypocrethes 15 May 2013 22:43:08 26,579 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm fairly sure I remember an episode of Friends where Joey got a part in this.
  • President_Weasel 15 May 2013 23:12:15 9,656 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Mac and Cheese", wasn't it?

I hope to god Abrams writes down some overarching plot strands on the back of an envelope this time instead of winging it again. He makes shows with a lot of potential and then does stuff with them that really pisses me off.
    Also his Star Trek films have plot holes you could drive a spaceship through and "science" that makes the science in Star Trek and TNG look plausible.
  • Ged42 16 May 2013 08:54:26 7,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll give the first few episodes a go, though I don't know why Fox bother making sci-fi, it's not like it's going to get a second season.
  • crispyduckman 16 May 2013 09:23:30 1,889 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    I hope to god Abrams writes down some overarching plot strands on the back of an envelope this time instead of winging it again.
    I'm pretty sure that's a forbidden practice at most US TV networks. They also follow the rule of "let's make every episode only moderately interesting but tease the next episode as though it's going to reveal some sort of amazing plot point, which it then doesn't".

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Razz 16 May 2013 09:31:06 61,649 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There have been quite a few promos today for new FOX shows, whilst this looks good. Rake has to be my favorite:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• PearOfAnguish 16 May 2013 09:51:36 7,493 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Almost Human looks interesting, though thanks to that trailer showing everything I can just skip the first episode.
  • Humperfunk 16 May 2013 09:53:35 2,485 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Every week, another new "JJ Abrahms" show pops up on TV.

Getting quite tired of it actually. Seems there can't be a single pilot these days without "JJ Abrahms" attached to it.

Does he just sit at home, shit out an idea, ring his mate at Fox or wherever and bang, more money and his name attached without doing anything more?

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• varsas 16 May 2013 10:16:23 2,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There was already a thread for this show: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/251596
  • HoriZon 16 May 2013 12:20:48 13,596 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If it has the arcs Fringe had as it did have some good ones earlier on it should be worth the view. JJ seems to dip his thumb in everything nowadays though.

• Whizzo 16 May 2013 13:20:21 43,342 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    varsas wrote:
    There was already a thread for this show: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/251596
    Indeed but considering how broken the forum search is I'm not surprised it got missed.

This space left intentionally blank.

• varsas 17 May 2013 15:00:45 2,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    If it has the arcs Fringe had as it did have some good ones earlier on it should be worth the view. JJ seems to dip his thumb in everything nowadays though.
    I think that he just uses his name a lot to help sell shows to networks these days.
  • BinaryBob101 17 May 2013 17:39:02 24,406 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HoriZon, did you write the OP all on your own?

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• baconchin 22 May 2013 13:41:05 44 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    HoriZon wrote:
    If the combination of J.J. Abrams and his former Fringe producer J.H. Wyman wasnít enough to intrigue you already, the first action-packed trailer for Foxís new series Almost Human has finally arrived ó along with a behind-the-scenes clip with the producers breaking down the premise.

Set 35 years in the future, this sci-fi buddy cop series will follow a loner cop (Karl Urban) who is teamed up with an android. The pitch alone sounds a little cheesy, but the actual footage is great ó and does a whole lot of world-building to establish the android-partner concept and why Urbanís character, John Kennex, is so against it.

Itís a good twist on the cop procedural genre, and it seems like it will be jam-packed with solid sci-fi trappings. With Urban at the center, and Abrams pulling the strings, this could be one of the better true sci-fi series of the fall.

Looking very good tbh one to look forward too.
    you had me at karl urban
  • HoriZon 25 May 2013 10:10:49 13,596 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    HoriZon, did you write the OP all on your own?
    No my mummy helped.

• TarickStonefire 25 May 2013 10:17:04 3,426 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sounds like Pinnochio updated for the 22nd century. Also, it sounds pretty bad, a classic setup for lots of tedious soul-searching and 'magic of humans' stuff, in between obligatory-and-probably-quite-entertaining robot cop stuff.

Is it as bad as that, or have they snatched something decent from the jaws of something naff?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 10:19:34 25-05-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• HoriZon 26 May 2013 07:54:28 13,596 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks pretty good to me with this and S.H.I.E.L.D this years new TV shows should be great viewing.

• HoriZon 31 Oct 2013 09:49:16 13,596 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shortly after pushing back its premiere to the 17th Nov, Fox has released the first seven minutes.

Though its hard to find a working international version?

• TarickStonefire 31 Oct 2013 11:09:45 3,426 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Why not just wait almost three weeks and get the whole thing without the annoying 'skipping through the first seven minutes that I watched almost three weeks ago' bit? ;)

• varsas 1 Nov 2013 10:27:19 2,414 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have an odd feeling that FOX are going to cancel this one: it's been delayed and looks expensive.
  • HoriZon 16 Nov 2013 12:54:08 13,596 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This weekend looks great.

• TarickStonefire 16 Nov 2013 13:07:15 3,426 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's certainly looking slick, but it's a shame the main plot is as old as the fucking hills:

1) old-hand cop doesn't like new partner
    2) old-hand cop doesn't like new technology
    3) old-hand cop has off-the-book methods that don't go down well with authority
    4) robot needs to learn what being human really means

But I'll check it out.

• Ged42 18 Nov 2013 21:19:19 7,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saw this was on the usual disreputable sources and gave it a watch.

Pretty much what you'd expect from a human/robot buddy cop drama, but still rather enjoyable. Some fairly decent cyberpunk CGI, Karl Urban's gravelly tones and a nice soundtrack by The Crystal Method.

Hopefully the characters will grow out of their archetypes and the designers will find their own style rather than just straight ripping off/making homage Blade Runner, Minority Report and Demolition Man.

Will watch a few more episodes certainly before deciding if I like it or not, though I can't see Fox giving it a long run.
  • PearOfAnguish 18 Nov 2013 22:24:46 7,493 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First episode was fun. Doesn't shy away from its obvious influences (Blade Runner, Robocop, iRobot etc), it looks gorgeous, moves at a rapid pace and Urban is as enjoyable to watch as usual. The first episode's plot is nothing new but there's definite potential.

Liked how they've justified nonsensical police procedural tropes (ENHANCE) with robots that are basically walking crime labs. Actually makes sense.

However, it's Fox so they'll fuck about with it for the first few eps, declare it a ratings loser and then cancel it.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 22:26:15 18-11-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 18 Nov 2013 22:53:54 25,563 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really liked the first episode. Very formulaic but done well and I'm a sucker for sci fi or robots etc.

Considering Fox let Fringe run for so long with such a small fanbase I'm hopeful they'll give this a fair shot. Although I know Warner was involved in fringe, not sure if they are here.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• monkehhh 18 Nov 2013 23:28:40 3,497 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What these guys said ^, enjoyable. I was expecting the worst but I liked it, blatant about its influences (of which it has many) but pretty solid. And Karl Urban.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous