Will Xenogears and Chrono Cross ever be released in Europe?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Glenn1 14 May 2013 16:56:57 4 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I haven't played either of these games, but I always see people mentioning them, and they definitely sound interesting. I've also heard that both have been released on the American PSN, but there still isn't any indication that they will ever come to Europe.

Do you guys think either game will ever be released here? Has anyone heard anything about this issue?
  • SuperBas 14 May 2013 17:02:48 1,453 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If they're on the US PSN, and you have a credit card, just create a US account and buy a US PSN credit code from maximuscards.

If they're not on the PSN, just get the iso's from the usual place and use PCSX.
  • Humperfunk 14 May 2013 17:26:09 2,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Speaking of games not released on PSN over here, has Dino Crisis 2 been released on PSN in US? Google gives me a lot of references that seem to suggest it has without any 100% "yeah it's here bruv" confirmations!

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• InvisibleCrane 14 May 2013 20:20:29 85 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I so too would love to see Xenogears and Chrono Cross finally get a UK release...still bugs me to this day why they never did. CC I can sorta understand considering Chrono Trigger never got a UK release back in the day. But Xenogears, considering how big FFVII was in the UK and Squaresoft being on a roll at the time you'd think they give a game like that a chance over here
  • Glenn1 15 May 2013 00:54:36 4 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    If they're on the US PSN, and you have a credit card, just create a US account and buy a US PSN credit code from maximuscards.
    Isn't this against the PSN rules? I've heard that you can only create a US account if you have a home address in that region. It's a shame, because now that both games are available in digital form I don't understand why it would take so long for them to be released on the PSN in Europe.

I so too would love to see Xenogears and Chrono Cross finally get a UK release...still bugs me to this day why they never did. CC I can sorta understand considering Chrono Trigger never got a UK release back in the day. But Xenogears, considering how big FFVII was in the UK and Squaresoft being on a roll at the time you'd think they give a game like that a chance over here
    The last thing I can find about Xenogears in connection to a release in Europe is this 2011 article. They were trying to resolve certain issues at that time, and it looks like they still haven't been able to do so, or maybe they simply gave up on it.

Edited by Glenn1 at 00:55:57 15-05-2013
  • Tekkirai 15 May 2013 01:02:47 104 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    PSN is very, very weird. The EU PSN has things the US one doesn't have and vice versa. But at any rate, whether it is against the rules is not that relevant, there's no way for them to check. I've got a gigantic load of PSOne games from the US PSN, including Chrono Cross and Xenogears.

You will need a US Creditcard OR US PSN pre-paid code though. The latter is pretty easily obtainable and with the Dollar being so weak, the currency conversion should take out any extra handling charges they got for sending it to you (usually via Email so it's very quick).
  • JinTypeNoir 15 May 2013 01:25:33 4,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trust me, you don't want Xenogears. Misguided anime fans of that time praised the game to high heavens (while the more reasonable of us always knew it was shit) but 15 years is more than enough time for anyone to realize how badly planned and written that game is. It is an awful, awful, awful game.

Without posting spoilers, to give you an idea of how bad the story is, I'll give you three examples:

1. At one point, it seems like a plot is developing through the usual means of fetch quests, warring nations and shadowy villains. Everything about this is thrown at the window only a few minutes later and no one even mentions it again.

2. At another point, a massive structure blows up and seemingly kills all the people inside. Except later on, certain characters who were inside the structure show up again and what's the reaction? "You survived? How in the world?" Nope. There's no mention of anything. No one is surprised. No one mentions the explosion. Life just goes on meandering through extremely pretension anime bullshit than anyone can see through a mile away.

3. Later on, one part of the game's imagery that become infamous is it had the gall to combine extremely gruesome religious imagery with a creature who looks like a Pokemon plush toy and then further digs it own grave by taking this scene with deadly gravity.

It's like watching a train wreck, where the train miraculously gets back up again and again. And if you think the gameplay can save it, forget about that too. Its tedious, with bad dungeon design and a gameplay gimmick that goes all but wasted (mapping different attacks to different face buttons) because in function it doesn't actually do anything different from a regular system and mechs that really only serve as uber attacks you can unleash if you keep them updated and mandatory for incredibly tedious "attack, attack, heal" boss fights with no more strategy than baby's first RPG.

Chrono Cross, on the other hand, is excellent. Very different from Chrono Trigger, but other than its rather confusing presentation of the story, almost perfect in its own way. Also has an amazing soundtrack, an extremely unique battle system (and unlike Xenogears, due to its battle system, the game actually plays VERY differently from your standard RPG) and very cool plot twists.
  • FabricatedLunatic 15 May 2013 01:27:06 13,013 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used the address of a hotel in Seattle when creating my US account. Nothing bad happened. I got some games that aren't available on the UK store, and Sony sold some games they otherwise wouldn't have. Everyone's a winnah!

Humperfunk wrote:
    Speaking of games not released on PSN over here, has Dino Crisis 2 been released on PSN in US? Google gives me a lot of references that seem to suggest it has without any 100% "yeah it's here bruv" confirmations!
    I checked. Dino Crisis 2 is on the US store. Bruv.
  • Tekkirai 15 May 2013 01:44:36 104 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir I haven't played it yet, but it's generally praised a lot. I'll see how it holds up soon enough I suppose. The characters reacting so oddly to huge story events, kind of reminds me of Tales of Vesperia. I found that an extremely frustrating game because of that, so I hope it's not as bad as that at least...
  • JinTypeNoir 15 May 2013 03:05:35 4,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tales of Vesperia has a much better story than Xenogears because it at least has good character development of the main cast (Xenogears seems to think making the characters go through horrifying situations and scream is character development) and humorous optional scenes (the attempts at humor in Xenogears are like some sort of horror story of what a third world dictator thinks humor is). As well, it doesn't go crazy with pretentious religious shit.

That scene you've heard about Xenogears where it is literally somebody in a chair on a black background narrating in slow-moving, unskippable text scenes that go on and on and on, while the only real gameplay is a tower with platforming in it for an engine that is not made for it, where if the game triggers a random battle in mid-jump you will automatically fail the jump and have to start from many levels down is only one of the more infamous problems the game is. There are far more where that came from.

I urge you to try out Chrono Cross or some other game instead. Xenogears really is not worth it. It was inspired by Neon Genesis Evangelion, for Christcakes!

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 03:08:06 15-05-2013
  • SuperBas 15 May 2013 06:49:58 1,453 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Glenn1

No worries, I live in Holland and have had a US account as my main one for as long as I've owned the PS3. The strategy used for this situation is "lying", I've never had any problems doing so. When you make an account, set your region to Portland, Oregon as they don't pay any extra taxes over PSN purchases.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-19-dont-like-the-way-sony-runs-the-playstation-store-you-should-be-careful-what-you-wish-for-says-yoshida

Even Sony executives have multiple region accounts.

Edited by SuperBas at 06:52:14 15-05-2013
  • Scimarad 15 May 2013 08:16:35 8,548 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can make any criticisms of Xenogears you want and it probably deserves all of them but I still thought it was possibly the most awesome thing I could imagine when I played it at the time. I was SO desperate to play it when I played the demo that came with FF8. And the music it played over preview bit at the end of the demo - Fan-freaking-tastic! It was Bonds of Sea and Fire or Leftovers of the Dreams of the Strong or something like that. I always thought of it as 'that Xenogears music' TBH...

I remember looking forward to Chrono Cross because I had never got to play Chrono Trigger and I liked the idea of dimension hopping. While there were a lot of things I liked about it (again, the music!) I don't really look back on it particularly fondly. I certainly like a lot of concepts in it (FATE and the alternate equivalent) I don't think I ever got particularly attached to the characters or cared that much about the resolution. There were a lot of JRPGs to play in those days and I wouldn't really count Chrono Cross as one of my favourites.

Anyway, Chrono Cross may be the choice of the discerning JRPG fan but I absolutely love Xenogears and it will always be one of favourites of the genre, rough edges included.

Edited by Scimarad at 08:17:38 15-05-2013
  • Humperfunk 15 May 2013 09:31:53 2,243 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @FabricatedLunatic

Ta bruv, might set me up some kind of US account for some Dino Crisis 2 on the Vita action.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Glenn1 16 May 2013 02:03:16 4 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thanks for the input so far guys.

From what I've heard about Xenogears, it seems to be the kind of thing that people generally find flawed (particularly in terms of how the plot holds together, and the second disc?), but still interesting. I've actually heard similar sentiments about Chrono Cross too, in that it supposedly works well in certain areas and fails in others. One of the reasons I'm interested in Cross is because of the soundtrack -- I heard a few tracks and really liked them. Some of the best music I've heard in a game.
  • bobdebob 16 May 2013 02:21:05 587 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't all ps3s play psx games?

You could buy Chrono Cross for about £15 on eBay and have a hard copy.

I've heard xenogears being compared to evangelion. Is it that shit?
    All I remember from that game is the hero punching a robot that wouldn't die.
  • elstoof 16 May 2013 07:06:06 7,348 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    European releases of these games would require translating into a few of the languages that our savage neighbours on the mainland speak, I doubt Square would be able to recoup the costs involved in going to that effort.
  • brainbird 16 May 2013 10:46:44 2,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    While I understand why you'd want to direct a fair share of criticism at Xenogears, it was still my most loved JRPG when it came out... even though I loathed the random battles. The game was something different to the standard JRPG fare.
    I really wouldn't recommend playing it today though. It has aged terribly.
  • Glenn1 17 May 2013 00:33:13 4 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    bobdebob wrote:

I've heard that the PS3 is region locked for PS1 games, so buying American hard copies wouldn't help.

Edited by Glenn1 at 00:33:53 17-05-2013
  • bobdebob 17 May 2013 01:18:33 587 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Glenn1 wrote:
    bobdebob wrote:

I've heard that the PS3 is region locked for PS1 games, so buying American hard copies wouldn't help.
    It's region locked for PS2 games, so it's probably true for PSX games.

Chrono Cross only came out in the US and Japan?

I've forgotton that my cousin's PSX was chipped (as were all my friends' PSXs), NTSC games used to show up black and white without the SCART.

Anyway, you could still rip (or download) and play it on PSP or on a PSX PC emulator. Or continue waiting.
  • machinist883 28 Dec 2013 21:44:16 11 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Fuck Sony and their treatment of ppl from the EU. I am sorry I ever bought a shit Vita just DL ePSXe and play all their PS1 games for free fuck them
  • machinist883 28 Dec 2013 21:53:34 11 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    It is better to have an android Phone than a Vita. You can play all PS1 ISOs on ePSXe for android. Such a waste of money. Fuck you Sony
  • machinist883 28 Dec 2013 22:21:17 11 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Here is a guide for all ppl who want to play chrono cross in Europe and dont want to wait fuck knows how long for Sony to port it.

1. Google ePSXe and download it.
    2. Unzip it with freeware such as 7zip.(google that too)
    3. Google PS1 BIOS download, unzip it and put in BIOS folder inside ePSXe.
    4. Google Chrono Cross ISO, download it, unzip it
    5. Open file menu in ePSXe and load Chrono Cross from it's file location.
    6. Enjoy

E-mail me @ johnoc111@gmail.com if you have any questions
  • machinist883 28 Dec 2013 22:39:03 11 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    And I agree with someone above. Xenogears is shit but if you want to play it just replace "Chrono Cross" in step 4 with "Xenogears".
  • elstoof 28 Dec 2013 22:46:59 7,348 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What about the enjoy part, should I google how to do that too?
  • machinist883 28 Dec 2013 22:50:55 11 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Yes, if you feel it would be beneficial to you
  • jimlufc 28 Dec 2013 22:51:08 118 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just emulate them for gods sake!

You'll be a pensioner before Sony get around to releasing Chrono Cross in the EU.
  • machinist883 28 Dec 2013 22:52:04 11 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Idd EMULATE
  • StarchildHypocrethes 28 Dec 2013 22:56:54 25,868 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Odd chap.
  • JinTypeNoir 28 Dec 2013 23:32:27 4,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To say the least. As if Sony has any control over whether Square Enix decides to release Xenogears and Chrono Cross in Europe.

I'm sorry, but if a game is available on digital download marketplaces for easy access in your language, then you don't have much of a leg to stand on for illegally emulating it. It's just bad form for everyone who wants to encourage legitimate venues of getting these old games.

I bet you anything you will one day get Chrono Cross in some Chrono anniversary collection because Square Enix did localized the DS version of Chrono Trigger.

Xenogears, I think has little chance. Not only did a lot of the development team leave on very bitter terms with Square Enix, but Xenosaga exists and the team who was responsible for it is now an internal Nintendo studio. I'm not saying they don't have the rights, of course they do. I'm saying that a company as large as Square Enix doesn't make plans to increase the visibility of games to new markets when the IP is unlikely to produce any fresh fruit for them.

You're better off not playing it though. Go play Xenoblade instead, it's a much better game and you guys actually got it before the US did.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 23:34:16 28-12-2013
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next