Deep Down (PS4)

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Widge Moderator 10 May 2013 08:56:59 13,728 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry to get all NEXT GEN on your faces. Just been looking at this video from the front page (PS4 Capcom dungeon crawler by the looks of it).

Is it me or does that have the distinct whiff of TARGET RENDER about it?

Just looking at the quality that is on show, it looks significantly slicker than the likes of Metro New Light, which would be the next great flagbearer of PC graphics benchmark.

Find it a touch unlikely that the PS4 is going to be pushing as an Nvidia Titan rival.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 10 May 2013 09:19:23
    No, those graphics are real. I have a friend working for Sony and he told me so so it must be true. Do not under estimate the power of The Cell.
  • King_Edward 10 May 2013 09:49:19 11,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Out-dated trolling. Now we don't doubt the power of 8gb of gddr5.
  • Widge Moderator 10 May 2013 10:06:49 13,728 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm, well DF is claiming on that fresh AMD 7790 article that it is the standard that next gen will bring, so I am above that benchmark.

I can't see that Deep Down video being accurate now, it looks like it beasts anything my PC can do.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Spectral 10 May 2013 10:09:55 5,017 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Widge Its hard to say really. comparisons to a PC hardware aren't really accurate due to the optimisations they can do with it being a closed system. The 360 and PS3 run games that a similarly specced PC couldn't dream of running.
  • shamblemonkee 10 May 2013 10:12:32 14,601 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If its the same video as from gdc then yeah target render.

Can't wait though if it is the dogma sequel
  • Widge Moderator 10 May 2013 10:23:36 13,728 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Spectral That is true, although the architectures for this next generation are remarkably PC-like, so I'd expect some sort of relative parity. At least until the Nvidia 800 range comes out, which apparently is the PC's "next gen".

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Spectral 10 May 2013 10:25:11 5,017 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Widge Still unlikely. Its not the type of architecture that's that important, its that every single console has the same hardware so the software can be highly optimised. no worrying about varying cpu speeds, gfx card models, amount and speed of ram, mobo bus speeds,etc.

Edited by Spectral at 10:27:46 10-05-2013
  • Jmog 10 May 2013 20:13:21 407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Actually, by using easier to program for PC architecture, the difference between consoles and similarly specced PCs will grow bigger much faster than in this gen.

Pretty much everyone who's said "my pc will run rings around this console" will be sorely disappointed. It really won't. Take a look at the most beautiful 360 and PS3 titles. How many of you had a PC in 2005 able to produce graphics like that?
  • Tekkirai 10 May 2013 20:20:09 104 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it's a target render as well quite frankly. Although, the Killzone demo turned out to be real, so maybe we'll be surprised yet.

I think they'll have to make that a reality though, a leap like that is very much needed to convince people it's worth switching over imo.
  • Triggerhappytel 11 May 2013 00:00:18 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reckon it's CGI. The animation is too good to be in-game; look how it compares to Dragon's Dogma for example, which was one of Capcom's biggest productions ever with 400+ people working on it.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 May 2013 00:09:42 11,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Hmm, well DF is claiming on that fresh AMD 7790 article that it is the standard that next gen will bring, so I am above that benchmark.

I can't see that Deep Down video being accurate now, it looks like it beasts anything my PC can do.
    It's not accurate at all.
    Toy STory in real time etc.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• JinTypeNoir 11 May 2013 09:58:57 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow, how time flies! I remember waaaaay back when people were questioning whether the Resident Evil 5 trailer was real time or not. Even if you can point out some effects in the trailer that don't appear in the final game, its visual quality wasn't a million miles away from the trailer.

Since it was cut as a trailer, I imagine the actual game will happen at a camera angle that isn't as dramatic and is more inclusive to gameplay. Other than that though, I don't think its a million miles away from the type of game graphics that will be possible on the PS4, whether Deep Down accomplishes it or not. It's kind of like how way back when the PS2 was unveiled and everyone said it could never render something like the FFVIII ballroom scene when it was 1 or 2 years old, but sure enough several of Square Enix's games were significantly prettier than that demo in real time by the end of the generation.
  • King_Edward 11 May 2013 10:24:50 11,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Were they? That ballroom scene looks a little stiff these days, but I'd say it's still better looking than anything Squenix did on PS2.
  • Widge Moderator 11 May 2013 11:05:39 13,728 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jmog wrote:
    Actually, by using easier to program for PC architecture, the difference between consoles and similarly specced PCs will grow bigger much faster than in this gen.

Pretty much everyone who's said "my pc will run rings around this console" will be sorely disappointed. It really won't. Take a look at the most beautiful 360 and PS3 titles. How many of you had a PC in 2005 able to produce graphics like that?
    2005? The early games that came out on the next gen systems were bettered by PC already - think Oblivion running on equivalent of medium, Half life 2 - by the time the flagship titles came out, PC was boasting Crysis and being the cream of any multiplayer title.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Humperfunk 11 May 2013 11:07:54 2,401 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Surely with a working title that is Deep Down, i.e. "D D", and it's to do with beating the crap out of dragons etc, this is clearly the sequel to Dragon's Dogma.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Widge Moderator 11 May 2013 11:48:11 13,728 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Were they? That ballroom scene looks a little stiff these days, but I'd say it's still better looking than anything Squenix did on PS2.
    It has that CGI sheen where polygon count and lighting constraints aren't concern, however the artistic style and expression in FFX is a lot more engaging. The old technology vs style thing.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• JinTypeNoir 11 May 2013 12:39:52 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also, it was a neat trick. What people remember the most is the pre-rendered cut scene from the PSX version, even in this thread. The one that was shown to showcase the PS2 was not as good as the FMV was, but it was so impressive at the time, people remember it like that.

If you don't remember (and I don't blame you) and here is the original PS2 reveal animations. Even with the bad video quality you can see how lacking the environment and polish is compared to the original and I would be rather shocked if you think the PS2 never got better models and animation than that render. It was a psychological trick because it was so much closer to FMV at the time that our brains interpreted it as close or near the same. And since this was only around 2000, it wasn't like most people high speed internet connections or there was a Youtube to easily upload a comparison video, to say the least of getting the images in the first place, since its not like the presentation was Ustreamed or something.

Crazy to think we regularly see scenes much more impressive than that cut scene real time these days (though obviously, not always as well choreographed). As a bonus, here's some behind the scenes motion capture footage of how they did that scene. Damn, now I want to play Final Fantasy VIII again.

Do dooo, do do do dooooo, rah rah raaaah, rah rah raaaah...

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 12:42:53 11-05-2013
  • Jmog 11 May 2013 15:35:12 407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Jmog wrote:

2005? The early games that came out on the next gen systems were bettered by PC already - think Oblivion running on equivalent of medium, Half life 2 - by the time the flagship titles came out, PC was boasting Crysis and being the cream of any multiplayer title.
    ...and? Who's talking about the early games. I said "The most beautiful". To reiterate my point: Would you be able to run a game looking like Halo 4 or Sleeping Dogs on a mid-highend PC from 2005? A Pentium 4?

Not a chance.

And I don't get the Oblivion and Half-Life 2 example. Of course they looked better on PC. The subject here was similarly specced PC's. Has there ever been a PC version that looked better than on consoles when running it on similar hardware? No. Not ever. And it will never happen since a console version will always be better optimised since the coders can code for one specific configuration rather than taking into account that other configrations need to be able to run it.

Edited by Jmog at 15:38:57 11-05-2013
  • King_Edward 11 May 2013 15:40:56 11,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir

You're right. I was thinking of the FMV.
  • Widge Moderator 11 May 2013 15:44:30 13,728 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe, but by that equivalent time you'd probably be bunging a new component or two in the machine. What Halo 4 and Sleeping Dogs have managed to wring out of the machines, the PC now goes beyond.

From the off, I don't expect the consoles to be beyond what we have now, and then as the generation progresses, they cram in what they can to the constraints what they can, while the PC allows for growth in the high end.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• mcmothercruncher 11 May 2013 16:02:53 7,561 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 16:03:09 11-05-2013
  • Widge Moderator 9 Sep 2013 09:40:50 13,728 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "Capcom's Deep Down is set in 2094 in New York. You read memories to solve a mystery. Deep Down has procedural generated dungeons and random monsters. There is online multiplayer for up to four players. More at TGS."

Structure sounds vaguely like Eternal Darkness.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Armoured_Bear 9 Sep 2013 09:42:25 11,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    - Online Only
    - Ps4 Exclusive with SCEJ engineers helping with dev
    - Game looks like a mix of Assassins Creed and Demon Souls
    - Game takes place in New York 2094 and you go back in to memories of olden times
    - Randomly generated dungeons and monsters and loot
    - Game looks like it plays similar to Demon Souls but online.

Some TGS Gameplay

• Armoured_Bear 9 Sep 2013 09:42:54 11,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago

• Gunzberg 9 Sep 2013 11:24:28 1,745 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I hope it doesn't go the way of AC and add some pseudo-future bullshit to the main game.

Looking less of a straight Dragon's Dogma sequel now...

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• King_Edward 9 Sep 2013 13:04:06 11,467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Randomly generated levels? Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Sep 2013 13:10:19 11,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Modern bollocks, online only and randomly generated - not what I was hoping for at all...

• JYM60 9 Sep 2013 16:56:36 16,881 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Probably just me who got an Eternal Darkness vibe from this?

Trailer was pretty good. The other video is trash. Horrid quality.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• mrpon 9 Sep 2013 17:49:10 29,434 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't like the font.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous