The real Silent Hill experience?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • JinTypeNoir 22 Apr 2013 11:19:05 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Two guys talk in depth about Silent Hill, controversy ensues.

The Real Silent Hill Experience is a series of youtube videos by fans of Silent Hill that document the entire series and all of its spinoffs in all media from the first one to present day (with the exception of the Japan-only Gameboy Advance game, which I've always found a curious omission, but whatever).

It is interesting because it is detailed to the level of a real documentary about Silent Hill. It is somewhat repulsive because of the attitude of the presenters, who sometimes come off as offensive, smug and trite. Red Letter Media, they are not. They are fanboys who can't except something outside of their viewpoint of what the series should be. However, they are at least intelligent enough to leave that stuff out in a lot of places and present better, more rational arguments.

Up until 4 its a fascinating look into the convoluted storyline of 1 and 3 and the making and structure of each game. After that, the fanboy nonsense gets rather ridiculous, but when you see some of the shit they are working with, it is a little easier to understand their anger. They are not unreasonably cruel to the new games, and the analysis is rather fascinating. Where they really come into their own is in how they tear down the Silent Hill HD Collection. Though again, there are some inappropriate parts, it is a much better and more accurate analysis of just what went wrong with that travesty than anything the media did.

Now they've released the newest part of the series, which is a freaking 2-hour review of Downpour. Once again, the same praise and caveats apply. If you want to learn something interesting about Silent Hill any of the earlier videos are shorter (usually from 8 to 15 minutes) and offer a lot of cool information. If you're deeply interested in horror games and the future of Silent Hill, the whole thing is worth watching with those caveats applied.
  • jamesi 22 Apr 2013 11:44:42 186 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought homecoming and downpour in particular were excellent games! Obviously quite different from the originals though.The hd remake had faults but i don't think they were quite as bad as was made out and didn't really affect my enjoyment of the game though i didn't play the ps1/ps2 versions.It's only the last few years i got really into silent hill and horror games though loved resi early on.
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Apr 2013 11:46:52 13,806 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @jamesi
    Hi
    You really need to play the first 3 games, trust me you will be very happy you did.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Jacksie66 22 Apr 2013 12:00:09 572 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    2 is simply the best
    Better than all the rest..
  • jamesi 22 Apr 2013 12:05:10 186 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 i did on the hd collection lol.
  • Cosmopolitan 22 Apr 2013 12:09:57 1,891 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nothing will ever compare to the experience of playing the first one for the first time, not knowing what to expect, on yer olde PlayStation in its grainy graphics glory. Nothing.

The Master of Unlocking.

• sega 22 Apr 2013 12:13:52 548 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They said WHAT about Shattered Memories!?
  • ZuluHero 22 Apr 2013 12:31:32 3,663 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jacksie66 wrote:
    2 is simply the best
    Better than all the rest..
    Better than anyone,
    Anyone I've ever played...

:)
  • DFawkes 22 Apr 2013 12:38:39 22,059 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really enjoyed 4. Probably my favourite, if I'm honest. I appreciate that it's not really Silent Hill, but generally it had the same feel.

I only just got that one in the post above :D Very good!

Edited by DFawkes at 12:43:23 22-04-2013

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• binster 22 Apr 2013 13:15:56 495 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Watching this now - I'm fine with their vitriol, I enjoy seeing such nerd-passion :)

Their Fridge-Logic videos are also very enjoyable :

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC114B5C6B82AD2EB
  • LionheartDJH 28 Apr 2013 20:11:57 19,295 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks for this, watched almost the entire series over the past few days. Only ever finished the first two but I loved them both, especially the second which is one of my favourite games ever.

Very interesting analysis throughout these videos, I didn't mind the nerd rage at all, was pretty funny in places and I can understand it given how the post-Team Silent games appear to have been made by people who don't understand what the original games were actually about and so contradict the story etc.

I'd heard the HD Collection was a bit of a hatchet job but didn't realise it was to that extent. Quite embarrassing that the decade old PC games are still superior.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Darth_Flibble 28 Apr 2013 20:32:58 1,506 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jamesi wrote:
    I thought homecoming and downpour in particular were excellent games! Obviously quite different from the originals though.The hd remake had faults but i don't think they were quite as bad as was made out and didn't really affect my enjoyment of the game though i didn't play the ps1/ps2 versions.It's only the last few years i got really into silent hill and horror games though loved resi early on.
    They were not remakes, they are crappy ports. No idea how you can defend them as they were as bad as people say. No one is making out they were worse than they were
  • Cappy 28 Apr 2013 21:21:01 11,704 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wonder if there will be another Silent Hill game. Perhaps the series will go handheld for the next roll of the dice.

The reviewers are definitely repugnant but I can't disagree, the Silent Hill series is in continual decline. the much derided Homecoming had a brief moments where it felt like a Silent Hill game, Downpour never reached that baseline at all.

Silent Hill is a state of mind, I don't think you can get the desired result by parachuting in any old development team. Silent Hill is a dearly loved pet dying, life leaves their body, they are still, you smell something. Is this the smell of death? Silent Hill is the effects of anaesthesia, the prelude to an operation, something alien and unfamiliar washing over you, horrors slither out into the peripheries of your vision. Silent Hill was always there, with you every step of the way, in every crack in the pavement, in every shadow. Silent Hill waits on the peripheries of perceived reality, waiting for you to notice that something isn't right.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Apr 2013 06:41:24 13,806 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember getting a "back up" (sorry!) copy of SH, many, many moons ago.
    I had no idea what it was about...I can genuinely say that playing through it the first time was and is one of my total gaming highlights, to this day.
    I have played all of them since, and of course the original 4 games, can't be touched, but I got some enjoyment out of most of the others.
    I would dearly love an updated Silent Hill though, imagine if it was given the same love as REmake...

• Ironlungs76 29 Apr 2013 07:15:42 4,930 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never played ANY of the SH games, to my shame. Never really my sort of genre, I guess.

I fully expect to be berated for this heinous oversight :'(
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Apr 2013 07:36:55 13,806 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    Never played ANY of the SH games, to my shame. Never really my sort of genre, I guess.

I fully expect to be berated for this heinous oversight :'(
    NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo
    H-Man you gots to play them pronto :-)

• JinTypeNoir 30 Apr 2013 13:06:46 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I got through the whole 2 hour review of Downpour and its quite a bit better in terms of snark than they're other stuff. In terms of dismantling the game, its excellent. I would so love it if people writing reviews for Downpour would be taken to task for their lazy criticism. It's not about the scores -- Downpour didn't get fantastic scores for the most part, its just that there is no attempt to address any kind of criticism that really gets to the meat of the matter, that Silent Hill just isn't brilliant as it used to be. Most reviewers are too afraid of drumming up the hornet's nest to give anything but weak and ambiguous, waffling criticism.

Ebert would have destroyed this game if it were a movie, just like these two do. And when we're talking about horror games, many of which take on a movie-like atmosphere for no-duh reasons, that's important, I think.

It's the reason these guys stand out so much for what they do. If you nix all the complaints about not being true to the cult storyline (which I don't agree with because its based on their preferences -- the good Silent Hill games were made to be analyzed in many ways) this is the criticism the newer Silent Hill games should have gotten all along. Then maybe Konami would have done something.

Hey, it worked for Contra, years and years ago, when publications and websites didn't waffle words about how shit their formed out PSOne Contra games were, Konami went back to the drawing board and the next four games in the series were great.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 13:07:09 30-04-2013
  • jamesi 1 May 2013 03:22:14 186 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble I think you are missing the point.I know the hd collection had problems but what i was saying was,as i never played original versions it didn't really affect me as i had nothing to compare it to.The basic silent hill game is still there despite the issues and i really enjoyed the hd collection if thats ok with you?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next