Dishonored or Bioshock?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • StixxUK 14 Apr 2013 10:28:08 7,232 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So... we now have two games that are probably going to be thought of as the pinnacle of single player gaming this generation. Both max out the hardware of the consoles they're designed for, both feature interesting worlds with lots of hidden story tidbits.

Which would you go for?

My favourite would be Dishonored, for the gameplay which as many have said is where Bioshock falls down. Strangely I think if I told someone they could only play one though I'd advise Bioshock.
  • Syrette 14 Apr 2013 10:32:24 43,107 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Infinite by a country mile. For everything about it, including the gameplay. Dishonored is very, very good - yet I found it a little overrated.

I think you're confusing a vocal minority with "many", by the way ;)

Wait - you are talking about Infinite here, right? Not Bioshock 1?

Edited by Syrette at 10:33:20 14-04-2013

• SolidSCB 14 Apr 2013 10:49:34 6,405 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dishonoured for me. With Bioshock I always feel as though I'm phoning in the actual gameplay waiting for the next bit of storyline or location to kick in. Solid yet unspectacular. Dishonoured gives you a bit more leeway with what you can do and so I feel a bit more engaged in the gameplay.
  • King_Edward 14 Apr 2013 10:51:16 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So so so so so Bioshock. It's not even close. Dishonored did nothing for me. It's somewhere between Bioshock, Deus Ex, and Half Life, but not nearly as good as any of them.

Edited by King_Edward at 10:54:15 14-04-2013
  • heyyo 14 Apr 2013 10:51:38 14,374 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dishonored doesn't max out consoles in the 'good way' you're probably on about.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2013 11:07:02
    Not played Infinite yet as the hype around it is a bit cringe so going to let that settle down. I adored the first one but again the hype around it was way overblown and a bit embarrassing. And I have a feeling the gameplay is going to be just as awkward. Did just complete Dishonored though and loved it. A bit slow at the start but I enjoyed seeing the effect of my decisions and the gameplay was awesome (would be very surprised if Bioshock is able to match it on gameplay). Didn't think it looked that good though.
  • Syrette 14 Apr 2013 11:11:49 43,107 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe if you actually play the game you can deduce for sure whether it's worthy of the hype or not?

• Deleted user 14 April 2013 11:14:19
    Syrette wrote:
    Maybe if you actually play the game you can deduce for sure whether it's worthy of the hype or not?
    I will, I can't wait to. But, as I said, the hype is identical to Bioshock which I enjoyed a lot. But it's nice going into a game neutral and not going in expecting it to be OMFUCKINGGOD THIS GAME IS BEAUTIFUL AND SKEAKS TO MY SOUL like everyone has/had been acting. And anyway, I want it to drop below 30!
  • M83J01P97 14 Apr 2013 11:27:38 6,552 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Both are great games, but I would agree with what Syrette said; Dishonored is a little over hyped in my opinion, but it's definitely the best stealth game made in the past 10 or so years. I just found it all to be a little clunky and the AI is lacking any kind of oomph to make it really epic.

Soldiers still walk to same paths over and over again, and they still don't notice you when stood in shadows despite looking right at you sometimes but they will notice you when quietly peached on the ledge of a high building just because your head was probably on show...

But again, it's not a terrible game, it just suffered from a few of the age old problems that most stealth games have.

But Infinite is the perfect balance of rich story telling and fun combat driven game play all wrapped up in a wonderful world that begs to be explored.

Edited by M83J01P97 at 11:27:51 14-04-2013
  • the_dudefather 14 Apr 2013 11:44:41 9,202 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Both fantastic games for different reasons

Although I'm on the reverse side of the praise, thought BI was a bit overrated

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 14 Apr 2013 11:47:03 6,654 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bioshock IMO.
  • Max_Powers 14 Apr 2013 12:11:08 1,089 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Both amazing games.

I found that BioShock Infinite has an amazing opening hour while Dishonored takes more time to really get going. When both games are good and well underway Dishonored really starts to shine and grow while BioShock loses a bit of it's opening hour magic.

I haven't finished either though so the endings could be the defining factor :)

I love both world designs.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 14 Apr 2013 12:19:48 6,654 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah the first hour or two of Bioshock is ace. I never got the hang of not being seen in Dishonored tbh. At the end of the game where they ramp up the number and frequency of the tall boys and shit that could one shot you, I just found clunky and frustrating.
  • graysonavich 14 Apr 2013 12:22:07 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    So... we now have two games that are probably going to be thought of as the pinnacle of single player gaming this generation.
    God help us.
  • StixxUK 14 Apr 2013 12:27:11 7,232 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, definitely talking Infinite!

Regarding the thing with stealth games and guards sticking to their paths... I think it would make it more difficult to make the game fun if they wandered around freely. Part of it is working out where you're safe and where to strike from. If the guards randomly decided to check those areas you'd be kind of fucked.

You need to finish Infinite to be able to score it. I'd give it a 9 having seen the ending, but there are definitely points at which if I'd given up there it would have been an 8.
  • spindle9988 14 Apr 2013 12:55:23 3,503 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's a toughie for me as I've enjoyed both. I think dishonoured edges it for me though as it seemed to come from nowhere. With bioshock however, I think we all expected it to be good
  • StaffyDog 14 Apr 2013 13:15:49 255 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Has to be Dishonored. Bioshock Infinite with all the hype was my biggest disappointment.
  • thedaveeyres 14 Apr 2013 13:48:15 10,692 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Infinite. Absolutely no contest.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• hypoBla5t 14 Apr 2013 14:05:20 1,362 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Same. How is this even a topic for debate is beyond me.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2013 14:59:53
    Both absolutely fantastic games and well worth having. Personally though dishonored doesn't come close to infinite. Nothing does. I loved dishonored but didn't have that "I must keep playing this" thing going on, wheras I could never wait to get back to bioshock.
  • Jacksie66 14 Apr 2013 16:29:31 572 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Biohonored.
  • philburgwin 7 May 2013 20:00:55 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Bioshock Infinite for me.

Both look decent enough, both have decent magic abilities to use, both have decent action but Infinite has a much better much more engrossing story and more memorable characters.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2013 20:04:56
    mowgli wrote:
    Not played Infinite yet as the hype around it is a bit cringe so going to let that settle down. I adored the first one but again the hype around it was way overblown and a bit embarrassing. And I have a feeling the gameplay is going to be just as awkward. Did just complete Dishonored though and loved it. A bit slow at the start but I enjoyed seeing the effect of my decisions and the gameplay was awesome (would be very surprised if Bioshock is able to match it on gameplay). Didn't think it looked that good though.
    Yeah, completed Bioshock Infinite and it was fucking superb and much, much better than Dishonored.
  • Commander-Keen 7 May 2013 20:49:21 806 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Both excellent games, but to compare them to me, really is comparing apples and oranges to be honest.

Infinite is a proper FPS where you're pretty much going at a pulse-pounding rate with the odd reprieve here and there, though they're never long. Much of the scenery and beauty of the game that makes it incredibly rich are details which exist incidentally to the plot much of the time.

Dishonoured is much less about the full frontal assault and is a calmer, almost more chess-like game. It's slow and tense, and deliciously immersive - I spent tens of minutes lining up the next throttle, waiting, creeping and then running.

Frankly, just get them both :)
  • superdelphinus 7 May 2013 21:07:09 8,035 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I found dishonoured a bit boring to be perfectly honest. It had quite a nice feel about it but just a very bland story IMHO. Don't know about bioshock
  • superdelphinus 7 May 2013 21:08:37 8,035 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's also nothing like chess
  • superdelphinus 7 May 2013 21:09:37 8,035 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If anything it's like stealth connect 4 except the board has chimneys and the counters are dull and miserable
  • Commander-Keen 7 May 2013 21:10:42 806 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Let it all out.

Tell us what you really think.
  • DrStrangelove 7 May 2013 21:30:02 3,379 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    So... we now have two games that are probably going to be thought of as the pinnacle of single player gaming this generation.
    Uhm... to be totally honest, that sounds like a slightly rash and subjective conclusion to me.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2013 21:45:34
    Dishonoured is a far better game, one that gives you freedom and choice. It has phenomenal art direction and a superb atmosphere. Goty easy.

Bioshock has a fantastic, no beautiful story and is a great experience but lacking in many ways gameplay wise.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous