Everything that's wrong with gaming Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 09:11:53 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Their bellowed deconstruction of La Recherche Du Temps Perdu was sublime!
    Now that, my friends, is a good comment
  • sanctusmortis 22 Mar 2013 09:19:58 9,807 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As I said in the comments of the article, reminds me of Evo.

Except none of these lads talked about raping anyone, nobody threatened anyone's family, and nobody got pulled to one side by their team manager and told they'd be banned if they didn't knock that shit off as they'd lose sponsors. It was tame compared to a lot of the big tournaments that have ran for longer in the US. TAME.

What's wrong with gaming is that there's no consensus on what's wrong with gaming. Some people love the freemium timer games as it means they can stop playing for a while, naturally controlling their obsessive play. Other people love the microtransactions being added to games like Dead Space 3 and NFS because they don't have as much time any more to play the games. Some people hate how short games are while others hate how long they take. Some people hate that it's all become the same game whereas others like the familiarity and ease of play.

Everyone's different, and likes different things. What's really wrong with gaming is that everyone wants it to be their way or no way.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 09:21:27 11,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    As I said in the comments of the article, reminds me of Evo.

Except none of these lads talked about raping anyone, nobody threatened anyone's family, and nobody got pulled to one side by their team manager and told they'd be banned if they didn't knock that shit off as they'd lose sponsors. It was tame compared to a lot of the big tournaments that have ran for longer in the US. TAME.

What's wrong with gaming is that there's no consensus on what's wrong with gaming. Some people love the freemium timer games as it means they can stop playing for a while, naturally controlling their obsessive play. Other people love the microtransactions being added to games like Dead Space 3 and NFS because they don't have as much time any more to play the games. Some people hate how short games are while others hate how long they take. Some people hate that it's all become the same game whereas others like the familiarity and ease of play.

Everyone's different, and likes different things. What's really wrong with gaming is that everyone wants it to be their way or no way.
    Fuck you, I'm the daddy.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 09:22:22 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @sanctusmortis I don't know a single person who has EVER said "I like that I can pay more to help me finish a game I've already paid for more quickly."

I agree on the overall point. But micro transactions, where the game is designed around them, are evil bullshit.
  • nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 09:28:33 61,348 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wrt EVO, its the crowd that generally do the shouting rather than the players.

Most of the players sit there with noise cancelling headphones on, in complete silence.

Some pre and post match trash talk is coming in now, encouraged by the sponsors and complied with by the players who realise that going pro means playing to an audience but, generally, because its solo stuff, there really isnt much interaction between the players.

It would probably be the same if CoD was played as a solo deathmatch.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Mr-Brett 22 Mar 2013 09:36:05 12,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't see the point in down votes, hiding opinions that don't match up with the general consensus is crazy. You don't get a good debate by removing any unpopular opinions.

cubbymoore wrote:
    If you click the order "worst" button on the comments, you'll see that the most reasonable posts have all been downgraded. The front page comments section is just full of fucking idiots.

Predictable holier than thou politically correct "sensible", throw arms up in horror, "I'm not like that" comments here by the bucketload. At least these guys have a bit of attitude. At least the room has got LIFE in it. Electricity!! Ever heard of that?

Its like the house of commons at question time, its not polite and restrained and its all the more entertaining.

How do you know they aren't all taking a drink together afterwards?
    Although a case could be made for down votes when people bring up political correctness.
    /joking (mostly)

Edited by Mr-Brett at 09:36:21 22-03-2013

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• mothercruncher 22 Mar 2013 09:40:54 7,880 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I find the juxtaposition between such a sedentary sport and the BOOMHEADSHOT histrionics comical personally. I could understand it, even get right into it, if I were about to kickbox or something.
    Hey, as long as it makes them happy...

... and no-one is being threatened with rape.
  • THFourteen 22 Mar 2013 09:41:08 34,483 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    heh some of you guys need to go to a football match
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Mar 2013 09:53:30 8,745 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I agree with JTN on the previous page. I personally hate all types of abuse and would much like to see people who are gracious in defeat and generally polite.

Yes it exists in sports to. I hate it there also. But then it is only ever sports like Football. I cannot imagine Steve Davies calling Ronnie O'Sullivan a cunt for fluking a pot from a snooker.

The sort of behaviour shown in the video is why I very rarely play online games and when I do i mute everyone.

Edit. Epic typo

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 09:55:27 22-03-2013
  • scott1987 22 Mar 2013 10:12:14 134 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thats exactly why i mute everyone when i play cod, no need to hear people screaming down a mic at someone they dont know.
  • nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 10:16:30 61,348 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Yes it exists in sports to. I hate it there also. But then it is only ever sports like Football. I cannot imagine Steve Davies calling Ronnie O'Sullivan a cunt for fluking a pot from a snooker.
    Again, if snooker was a 6 v 6 team sport, you probably would.

• mrpon 22 Mar 2013 10:19:01 29,587 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I cannot imagine Steve Davies calling Ronnie O'Sullivan a cunt for fluking a pot from a snooker.
    I'd pay money to see this.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mothercruncher 22 Mar 2013 10:19:41 7,880 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I must admit, I mute all randoms in public games too.
  • shamblemonkee 22 Mar 2013 10:42:16 14,661 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really like how football fans and boxing are the pro sports examples used here to justify the behave as usual in top level sport (which this isn't).

i could just as easily say it's highly unusual and unacceptable behaviour and refer to tennis, cycling, athletics.. etc.

yeah tempers and emotion run high but that COD video was pretty laughable and embarrasing.
  • andytheadequate 22 Mar 2013 10:42:16 8,375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Like I said in the comments, I've played rugby league (hardly a classy or quiet sport) and I've never seen it become as embarrassing as that, even against the most worst teams or after a 26 man brawl.

Even cricket, which is known for it's sledging, doesn't have players screaming into the other team's faces. The screaming and shouting and high fiving is fine, but the shouting at the opposition is just pathetic.

Fans getting excitable and shouting abuse at the opposition team is one thing, but the players doing it just isn't seen in any other form of competition

Edited by andytheadequate at 10:44:06 22-03-2013
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2013 10:45:06 8,327 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As I said, that sort of thing wouldn't be considered acceptable in any other team sport. If e-sports are ever going to become a big thing, then they'll probably have to start enforcing some standards of behavior too.
  • nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 10:46:28 61,348 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you have ever been front row in a game of professional football, you will know thats not true.

• Deleted user 22 March 2013 10:50:32
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    As I said, that sort of thing wouldn't be considered acceptable in any other team sport. If e-sports are ever going to become a big thing, then they'll probably have to start enforcing some standards of behavior too.
    E-sports is never going to become a big thing, and it is nothing to do with over excited, sweary teenagers.
  • Mr-Brett 22 Mar 2013 10:55:22 12,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Since when did footballers become the acceptable standard of professionalism?

• nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 10:57:07 61,348 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They arent. They are just being used as an example of how its not uncommon and how everyone should get off the Cod guys backs.

• sanctusmortis 22 Mar 2013 11:15:37 9,807 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder I actually know people who paid to make some of the weapons in DS3 because they got second hand copies and as such missed out on Evangeliser. They bought parts for community guns to run through the game, as they'd got it mainly to do unlock runs on NG+, so they wanted playthrough 1 to be fast.

Rare, I know, but it happens.
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 11:22:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @sanctusmortis but that's surely because the company rigged the game by making it first user only.
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 11:23:48 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @anthonypappa that's why Sony, MS and Nintendo affiliated devs are so important right now. They can show the way.
  • Mr-Brett 22 Mar 2013 11:29:37 12,897 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    They arent. They are just being used as an example of how its not uncommon and how everyone should get off the Cod guys backs.
    Does that make it fine then or does it mean that sport in general is populated by man-children with anger problems? If it's the later then fair enough, it seems unfair to single out e-sports.

• redcrayon 22 Mar 2013 11:32:32 4,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mr-Brett

I thought the whole point of the down votes was that it removes people being offensive (two of the more downvoted posts were calling people fags and pussies) which, where they aren't removed, turns the thread into a shouting match rather than a discussion long before a moderator can sort it out due to the speed of news comments being posted (unlike the forum where people, I suppose, get to know each other so are more prepared to give ground in one thread and not in another). But it does mean actual reasonable opposing viewpoints get lost in the crossfire as both sides just use it to down vote the otherside rather than for stuff that is particularly cretinous, and it's particularly harsh on someone with a well-put but minority counter-argument. I'm often more likely to stop and read stuff that's been negged to oblivion just to see what it was that was so heinous out of morbid curiosity, and am often surprised at some stuff that's been negged but adds interesting points to an inflammatory news piece, not so much at others where people have just vomited their favourite insult onto the keyboard.

I'm probably one of those comments wankers Cubby is talking about, so in my defence, my main issue with the video isn't so much the teenagers but the staff member who posted in the comments saying that they discourage it when they blatantly don't- at least have the courage of your convictions and say they know it probably increases the amount of people who watch it on YouTube or whatever. Expecting teenagers not to play up to the cameras when they know their mates are watching it is a bit naive.

Edited by redcrayon at 12:11:48 22-03-2013
  • Page

of 5 First / Last