Everything that's wrong with gaming Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Tonka 22 Mar 2013 06:39:14 20,025 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fucking hell. Bunch of guys having a laugh is what's wrong with gaming?

I thought this would be about how these "Freemium" games on mobiles (TinyTower, Simpsons, Dragon Vale) has made gamin intentionally boring and frustrating in order to lure cash off of people that play them.

Those guys looked like they were having a lot of fun. Compare that to the face of the average Angry Birds player.

Edited by Tonka at 06:46:53 22-03-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• RobTheBuilder 22 Mar 2013 06:46:31 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka at least angry birds you buy an play without having to fork out money to progress! I wrote a thing the other day about this. It staggers me that publishers can be so ignorant of what people want in order to put their short term profit first.
  • Tonka 22 Mar 2013 06:49:44 20,025 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder Yeah, you are right. I really shouldn't slag off Angry Birds. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's bad. And as yous ay, it's not a "Buy GLOD to make time pass wuicker" type game.

Sorry guys at Roivo. I think you have done something really well and you deserve all the millions you are making.

The cuntflaps that made Tiny Tower though.... burn in hell.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• JinTypeNoir 22 Mar 2013 07:13:11 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think its just because I'm from a culture where this is definitely not even remotely acceptable, because a lot of people in the comments seem to not like it as well, but I think it is reprehensible if it is solely due to the events that were taking place in the game and not anything else. Anything else being things such as the attitudes of team meats behind the scenes, the competition's actions outside of the competition and so on.

So if all that anger just comes from playing the game, I must disagree vehemently. If that's reasonable behavior because it is "competitive spirit," then "competitive spirit" is a nasty, rotten, vile concept that should die in a fire. There's getting frustrated to a reasonable extent that would warrant occasionally foul language and there is completely tacky behavior. I think e-sports should follow the model of a real sports and an ideal sportsman or an ideal sportswoman is somebody who is always courteous and kind to the opposition.

It is certainly everything that's wrong with gaming. The Sim City debacle is a much closer approximation of the many things that are wrong with gaming right now: bad journalists and standards in the press, huge corporations bullying their way to mediocre success, misguided and ugly practices running rampant to make a buck at the expense of users and a burden on gamers to fix the industry they shouldn't have to bear.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 07:15:25 22-03-2013
  • Deleted user 22 March 2013 07:31:04
    Christ there is nothing wrong way that the video. And it most certainly isn't everything wrong with gaming. Bunch of teenagers getting over excited, the swearing and abuse is part of the banter. Not everyone wants tickles and rainbows ala Mario galaxy. I would say that video of Miyamoto noncing up a classroom in the Wii music advert is everything wrong with gaming.
  • Physically_Insane 22 Mar 2013 07:39:07 8,658 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Gah. How exactly is that what's wrong with gaming? It's just people being overexcited. Get over it. Fucking cretins on the comments building up a consensus that they have never got heated during anything competitive.
    this.

Remember it was a competition for a lot of money too. The only thing that video was, was a little embarrassing, nothing more.
  • jonsaan 22 Mar 2013 07:42:46 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gaming is pretty diverse now, so pretty much any type of gamer can point to another sector and say 'that's what's wrong with gaming'.

If you don't like games like COD and Gears don't play them. Just like you wouldn't listen to music genres that do nothing for you.

FCUTA!

• Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 07:44:56 10,308 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Gah. How exactly is that what's wrong with gaming? It's just people being overexcited. Get over it. Fucking cretins on the comments building up a consensus that they have never got heated during anything competitive.
    this.

Remember it was a competition for a lot of money too. The only thing that video was, was a little embarrassing, nothing more.
    A little embarrassing?
    I don't think I've ever cringed so much.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• nickthegun 22 Mar 2013 07:46:44 58,885 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Since you appear to have no shame, I find that unsurprising.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• jonsaan 22 Mar 2013 07:48:16 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Having now watched the video. This is exactly the kind of language and posturing you see in top level football. It's just young men being competitive. Yes, many of them seem like eediots, but that's not exclusive to gaming.

FCUTA!

• Dirtbox 22 Mar 2013 07:51:15 77,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This makes me cringe more.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 07:52:32 10,308 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    This makes me cringe more.

It's almost as retarded, yes.

• roz123 22 Mar 2013 08:02:26 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The person who made that poster is now head of Nintendos marketing department
  • Shikasama 22 Mar 2013 08:03:18 6,633 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    The comment section's always been full of mongs, ever since all the sensible people moved to the forum (we were too busy talking about marmite and jaffa cakes and fucking up the comments threads anyway). Adding the ability for mongs to vote for other mongs has just mongified the whole thing up even more.
    It's something really special when you can create an 'us and them' about people visitng a hobby website.
  • neilka 22 Mar 2013 08:07:15 15,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    And has been using the "children with their legs splayed" strategy ever since.
  • skuzzbag 22 Mar 2013 08:08:16 5,637 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can I just add my voice to the neg comments wanking up the front page concensus. I reckon it should be changed to positive votes only with a report button for spammers and anyone that abuses the report button gets a ban.
  • Dirtbox 22 Mar 2013 08:11:40 77,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    They were at the time, it's a slide from their 2003 E3 conference.

• Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2013 08:16:43 6,994 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Their behavior isn't exactly surprising. But if gaming wants to be taken seriously, then that sort of thing needs to stop, at the professional level if nothing else.

Yes, elite sportsmen talk shit also, but they also get penalised for it.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2013 08:17:35 6,994 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    roz123 wrote:
    They were at the time, it's a slide from their 2003 E3 conference.
    I love the WordArt. It's edgy.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 22 Mar 2013 08:25:21 37,379 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If they were being racist, homophobic or sexist then I would say it is out of order, but otherwise it's just teenagers being a bit rowdy.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2013 08:28:48 6,994 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, it's possible that stuff might have just been edited out of the final version of the clip. At any rate, I reckon it goes on.
  • cubbymoore 22 Mar 2013 08:33:08 36,468 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh right, so now we can make up stuff then.

I reckon they all shouted philosophical concepts at each other. The scumbags.
  • neilka 22 Mar 2013 08:34:15 15,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Their bellowed deconstruction of La Recherche Du Temps Perdu was sublime!
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2013 08:34:47 10,308 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Their bellowed deconstruction of La Recherche Du Temps Perdu was sublime!
    :D

• Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2013 08:34:48 6,994 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That would actually be pretty funny.
  • LeoliansBro 22 Mar 2013 08:35:35 43,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    If you click the order "worst" button on the comments, you'll see that the most reasonable posts have all been downgraded. The front page comments section is just full of fucking idiots.

I fail to see what the problem is here. It's obviously all part of these COD events and seems no different to the trash talk in boxing, for example. It appears to be done with good humour and grace and there was some nice mutual respect shown at the end of the battle.

It's because they're playing Call of Duty, right? Delightfully snobby.
    That's on -13

Predictable holier than thou politically correct "sensible", throw arms up in horror, "I'm not like that" comments here by the bucketload. At least these guys have a bit of attitude. At least the room has got LIFE in it. Electricity!! Ever heard of that?

Its like the house of commons at question time, its not polite and restrained and its all the more entertaining.

How do you know they aren't all taking a drink together afterwards?

I don't see what the problem here is. A lot of competitive sports have language far worse that what these lads were chucking about. I'm not condoning it, but in pressure matches, people say and do things they would never normally say and do.

That's what's wrong with gaming...
    That's pretty fucking embarrassing.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Dirtbox 22 Mar 2013 08:50:37 77,480 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The comment voting system is just a passive aggressive circlejerk for the brainless twats out there.

The worst aspect of reddit on our porch.

Edited by Dirtbox at 08:51:29 22-03-2013

• skuzzbag 22 Mar 2013 08:54:14 5,637 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed. If this was a physical place id be looking out of the curtains and tutting.
  • Deckard1 22 Mar 2013 09:00:15 27,256 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I find it no more or less embarrassing than your average weirdo pasty-faced middle aged guy fawning over how "magical" Nintendo games are.
  • masterson 22 Mar 2013 09:03:55 180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is worth bearing in mind this is an edited highlight reel of a long event.

If they filmed me gaming against others for 12 hours straight they would certainly be able to craft a decent 3 minute swearing montage too...
  • Page

of 5 First / Last