Future releases - Not many Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Deleted user 12 March 2013 13:30:14
    Well, it does have about one game I'm interested in: FFX:HD and that doesn't even have a release date yet.

I too am here to talk about games and whether I think things are amazing or shit is just something you'll have to suck up or ignore.
  • H1ggyLTD 12 Mar 2013 16:59:48 1,373 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We'll see, won't we.

Personally, if they never released a single other game on it, i'd be happy with what i've got from it.

I've been using it solidly for a year, and have hundreds of hours of gaming queued up on it.

And i'm not one to blindly defend my purchases - i thought my PSP was toss, for example.

But the Vita is everything the PSP was building up to. There's a nice steady stream of games coming out until the PS4 comes out, and then the device gains a whole new dimension.

Love it.
  • Kay 12 Mar 2013 17:21:46 17,402 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Personally, if they never released a single other game on it, i'd be happy with what i've got from it.
    This. To be honest, I've not even paid any attention to the release schedule, still working my way through the games released last year. Once I'm done with all of the games I want to play, then I'll start caring about what else is coming out.
  • Roddles 12 Mar 2013 17:23:06 1,432 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pretty glad I cancelled my Vita pre-order at the last minute now.
  • greenmekon 12 Mar 2013 17:30:22 150 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    We'll see, won't we.

I've been using it solidly for a year, and have hundreds of hours of gaming queued up on it.

And i'm not one to blindly defend my purchases - i thought my PSP was toss, for example.

But the Vita is everything the PSP was building up to. There's a nice steady stream of games coming out until the PS4 comes out, and then the device gains a whole new dimension.

Love it.
    Same as me. I havent checked the release schedule as i am still playing the games i bought, and i am still missing some that have already come out. Really need the 32gb card, cheapest place ive seen is sainsburys, 59.99. Anyone seen cheaper?
  • rare_uk 12 Mar 2013 20:35:18 3,558 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They need to sort the price of those lame ass cards out tbh
  • Deleted user 12 March 2013 20:38:47
    It does seem to be having a good indie scene on it. Which makes me want to get one. Also the turn around of them is quite short notice, notice a lot of games announced for release in a month or so time.
  • Roddy100 12 Mar 2013 21:00:05 705 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The PSP never seemed to have many games on its release schedule either and yet I always seemed to have plenty to play on it for the seven or so years I was using it.

So far I'm not short of games to play on my Vita either.
  • addyb 12 Mar 2013 21:11:20 834 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If it died a death now and had no more games I'd be happy. Got a massive backlog on it :)
  • Psychotext 12 Mar 2013 21:31:52 52,782 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    I must be the odd one out, being on a gaming forum to talk about the games I'm playing with fellow gamers. Rather than spending all my time declaring how sh1t everything is.
    I haven't had time to game for years so the limited fun I do get is commenting on how shit everything is.

I'm anxiously awaiting the failure of the PS4 and the 720 to go with the Wii U and the Vita.
  • JinTypeNoir 12 Mar 2013 23:21:13 4,365 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New games aren't consistently announced for Vita even in Japan. I can only think of one new announcement over the past month that was notable. This, compared to the 3DS, which has had around 10 or so. Even if the bump in sales remains consistent enough to keep the Vita selling at a healthy pace, you won't see the impact for a while, since any developers who would see the change happen and decide to put a game into production now would likely have a product ready to announce later this year or next.

That said, developers who have found success on the Vita are likely to continue announcing games for it, so Sega, Game Arts, Marvelous Interactive, Falcom and Gust are likely to continue producing stuff for it.
  • neil74 13 Mar 2013 09:11:11 2,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think this pretty much sums up my feelings even if it is a few months old.

Edited by neil74 at 09:11:26 13-03-2013
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2013 09:31:47 3,116 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, Killzone, Oddworld, Dragons Crown and Warriors Lair sum up how excited I am for the incoming releases this year. Still working hard on my backlog to prepare for all that though.

I agree on the memory cards - would be great to bring out bigger ones and give a big price cut there. I'm having to juggle space on my 32 gig all the time. Would snap up a 64 at a decent price in a heartbeat.
  • kalel 13 Mar 2013 09:39:46 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It feels to me like a Vita mkII could well be the thing to give this a bit of a new lease of life. Every time I come close to buying one, the price and the memory card issue put me off again.

A smaller, cheaper revision that takes SD cards would quickly get me on board.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 09:44:10
    kalel wrote:
    It feels to me like a Vita mkII could well be the thing to give this a bit of a new lease of life. Every time I come close to buying one, the price and the memory card issue put me off again.

ditto. i often browse shop sites and have a check of the vita price. I would like to press order, but i can't really justify it. But i desperatly want to play Lumines ES and FF9 (even though i got a psp capable of doing that :rolleyes: for both :) .
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2013 10:10:11 3,116 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    kalel wrote:

ditto. i often browse shop sites and have a check of the vita price. I would like to press order, but i can't really justify it. But i desperatly want to play Lumines ES and FF9 (even though i got a psp capable of doing that :rolleyes: for both :) .
    Your inspiration for buying a Vita is Lumines and FF9!? woah. There are quite a few decent games on it now.... I mean each to their own but... I'm sure you can find better than them.

I got Lumines on ps+ last month, played it once. Same old. P4G on the other hand ;)

@kalel

They're never going to do a revision that takes SD cards. The whole purpose of the proprietary cards is to combat piracy. They got destroyed by piracy on the PSP. I do hope they cut the price of the cards though.
  • kalel 13 Mar 2013 10:11:34 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK yes, a significant price drop on the memory cards then. Or a revsed model with a sizable SSD built in, although that would just increase the cost further presumably.
  • santashi 13 Mar 2013 10:19:34 4,933 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm not sure that a smaller Vita would be a good thing for me! It's a great size/weight for me at the moment. I'm sure it will get slimmer at some point, but I don't really want a diddy Vita.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• JayG 13 Mar 2013 10:57:52 828 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd be the same, it's perfect for me. The 3DS is way too small, and I can't play certain games for very long. I brought my mother the 3DS XL for Xmas and that's so much better. The one thing the Vita really needs is a decent sized hard drive. Those memory cards are doing it no favours.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 11:00:05
    Gregolution wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Your inspiration for buying a Vita is Lumines and FF9!? woah. There are quite a few decent games on it now.... I mean each to their own but... I'm sure you can find better than them.

I got Lumines on ps+ last month, played it once. Same old. P4G on the other hand ;)

@kalel

They're never going to do a revision that takes SD cards. The whole purpose of the proprietary cards is to combat piracy. They got destroyed by piracy on the PSP. I do hope they cut the price of the cards though.
    haha yeah. and gravity rush. I like me a bit of lumines though. And its been years since i played ff9. I got it on disc, but on a 42 inch tv its a bit messy!
  • Kay 13 Mar 2013 11:09:12 17,402 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:

It honestly doesn't need a revision - and why would Sony bother if the first one failed anyway? The device is pretty much perfect the way it is, it's only the lack of onboard storage and the stupid memory card prices that seem to put people off.

I'm sure there are good enough deals around now anyway (or at least, there should be).
  • JayG 13 Mar 2013 11:13:13 828 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Been honest the Final Fantasy games are still some of the best games available on the Vita. Also quite a few PSP classics that might have been missed. It really has quite a catalog. There is quite a few upcoming games. But they will probably be released on PSN with no build up, especially in Europe where it seems to be run by infinite monkeys on typewriters. I do wonder if we will see many AAA games though, with the P4 obviously getting most of Sony's love for the foreseeable future.
  • kalel 13 Mar 2013 11:14:13 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:

It honestly doesn't need a revision - and why would Sony bother if the first one failed anyway? The device is pretty much perfect the way it is, it's only the lack of onboard storage and the stupid memory card prices that seem to put people off.

I'm sure there are good enough deals around now anyway (or at least, there should be).
    Quite a heavy amount of self-contradiction/ownage here. It does need a revision, because the first one failed.

A revision would mean cheaper more efficient manufacture, resulting in a much lower price point, and would also give them the opportunity to address the other issues such as onboard storage/memory card and such.

This strategy has worked for literally every other console Sony have released. It is now standard, and I'm quite certain a revised cheaper Vita is something we can expect for exactly the same reasons.

If it was pretty much perfect, we'd all have one.
  • Roddles 13 Mar 2013 11:16:30 1,432 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Feels like the Dreamcast all over again. Great machine, well loved by it's owners, but it's not got confidence from developers and publishers, which in turn means it'll never reach the mainstream.

I hate to say it, but the machine really is doomed. If it was on sale tomorrow for 99 I don't believe it would change the inevitable outcome.
  • Kay 13 Mar 2013 11:40:55 17,402 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Quite a heavy amount of self-contradiction/ownage here. It does need a revision, because the first one failed.

A revision would mean cheaper more efficient manufacture, resulting in a much lower price point, and would also give them the opportunity to address the other issues such as onboard storage/memory card and such.

This strategy has worked for literally every other console Sony have released. It is now standard, and I'm quite certain a revised cheaper Vita is something we can expect for exactly the same reasons.

But you don't all have one because of the price and memory card issue - that's the thing that needs revising, not the device itself.

And - as this thread is pointing out - there doesn't seem to be much support for the console, so why would Sony want to release a revision for a console that most people seem to agree was DOA anyway? Not saying that it won't happen, just that it's a bit of an odd thing to look forward to when there are no obvious hardware features missing from the console.
  • crisotunity 13 Mar 2013 11:43:13 149 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I went for it last weekend: 2nd hand Vita + 2nd hand 4Gb + Everybody's Golf + Virtua tennis + Oddworld + Lumines = just over 200. Great value and (alongside the PSP classics like Everybody's Tennis and GofW) I think I'll be ok for a few months. Beautiful screen, perfect size and weight. I cannot see anything wrong with its ergonomics. And its front-end, responsiveness and UI could put most Android-based systems to shame.

Having said all that, bless you Sony: only they could cripple a great system with the size/price of a proprietary memory card. In a genius move, this acts as both a barrier to entry (how much for 16GB?!) AND as a barrier to people actually buying stuff from Sony's online store. Give these guys a promotion.
    The argument that the memory card is a weapon against piracy just doesn't make sense: if/when Vita becomes successful, piracy will happen one way or another. The solution is not punishing honest consumers, but to make their lives so unproblematic and convenient, that piracy becomes a hobby for a small minority of hard-core weirdos (see the success of iOS in this respect).

I have zero evidence to support this, but I bet that in a couple of years the Vita will be able to accept MicroSD in some fashion; alongside a slightly better battery, improved camera and a "video out" functionality, the Vita could become a real player.
  • neil74 13 Mar 2013 11:51:31 2,305 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I kind of agree that is doomed. I think it could be saved but I just do not think that Sony have the will/pockets/strategy to turn it around. A look at their PS4 strategy is a pointer and the PS4 with no backwards compatibility looks set to repeat mistakes with just a small number of PS4 games to play on it initially. IMO if MS make the next xbox backwards compatible then it is game over for Sony.

Back to the Vita, it needs more 1st and 3rd party games and there is no magic wand to make this happen, for a period on the PSP you got a PSP version of new release games and that has just never happened on the vita. I have already said that I'd welcome PS2 and PS3 ports but that would probably not appeal to most or help it sell.

In the absence of this it needs a lower price and lower priced games and accessories to try and kick start things,the economics of this however probably do not stack up for Sony. If Sony could have dropped the price then surely xmas 2012 just gone would have been the obvious time to do so? My guess is that they just cannot afford to.
  • kalel 13 Mar 2013 11:52:30 83,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:

But you don't all have one because of the price and memory card issue - that's the thing that needs revising, not the device itself.

And - as this thread is pointing out - there doesn't seem to be much support for the console, so why would Sony want to release a revision for a console that most people seem to agree was DOA anyway? Not saying that it won't happen, just that it's a bit of an odd thing to look forward to when there are no obvious hardware features missing from the console.
    And the price gets revised by creating a cheaper to manufacture version. How are you not seeing this?
  • elstoof 13 Mar 2013 12:03:35 6,140 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was all set to buy one at launch and then backed out for most of the reasons posted above. Took a punt over Christmas on one of the decent deals that were available, plenty of soul searching required before going through with it - now it's clearly one of the best gaming purchases I've ever made, the amount of value I've got from it is immense. If you're on the fence I say go for it, cost me what, 200 quid with a game and a shit memory card to get started. I think the price was a steal in hindsight.
  • JinTypeNoir 13 Mar 2013 12:06:34 4,365 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Beside memory, there's some other things they could do in a revision:

1. Get rid of the 3G model. Makes it easier to purchase a Vita when there is only one main model to consider and it is also the cheaper one. At least in Japan, all the 3G plans are confusing and there are so few people willing to pay that kind of money every month for games when they already do for something necessary like cellphones. Wi-Fi is enough.

2. Improve the analog sticks. As it stands right now, they aren't quite as resistive as the 3DS's slider, which and feel like mini dual shocks, which is not good for a portable. They also need to figure out a way to make them pop out less because its annoying putting it in some sort of protective case. The gold standard is still the Neo Geo Pocket, so go for that.

3. Release a clamshell version. Pretty please? They're sooooo much more portable because they give automatic protection to the console. It would also make it smaller because you could the controls on the bottom half, with the back touch wherever it needs to be ergonomically and the front touch near the top. That way when you use your finger, its easier to not cover up as much of the screen because you are coming in from a place where you can hold the unit and put your hand to the screen without covering up another crucial part of the screen. It's not a big problem, but it would be nice. This would also help make limited edition stand out, because at is the current Vita is so covered in stuff its hard to design something around a limited edition that would be appealing.

4. Make an XL version. Some people here like big handhelds and handhelds are also replacements for consoles as many users use them exclusively at home. It worked for Nintendo. Twice. And Sony loves to copy Nintendo. So why not?

But most of all....

5. Fix the placement and design of the start and select buttons! Goodness gracious!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last