Led Zeppelin or The Beatles? Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:10:16
    Sky arts 5pm led zeppelin and the music that influenced them. My dad told me about it said it was interesting. He also mentioned that the programme touches on what has been discussed here. E.g. the media had it portrayed that the stones were the most popular band around but the facts show zeppelin shifted more lps and sold more concert tickets even though they never got exposure on the radio and tv, nothing like the pop appeal of the Beatles and to an extent the stones. Set to record.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Mar 2013 10:10:44 44,742 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Haven't I spoke on clipse, NAS, ghostface, styles p etc? Yeah, they real commercial like flo Rida and 50 cent. / Rolls eyes as always at a nickthegun post.
    Did ... did you just turn faux-gangsta?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:11:22
    Pepsipop wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Generally pop is gash though. If you classed pop as the top 40, generally 30 of the 40 are terrible commercially produced garbage.
    90% of everything you have mentioned in the hip-hop thread falls into this category.
    Haven't I spoke on clipse, NAS, ghostface, styles p etc? Yeah, they real commercial like flo Rida and 50 cent. / Rolls eyes as always at a nickthegun post.
    Again, it baffles me how oblivious you are to how very commercial and pop oriented your taste in Hip Hop is.

Didn't Clipse feature on the first Justin Timberlake song? Nas went pop years ago, Ghostface has done his fair share of crossover and Loxx had their roots in pure commercial pop hip hop.

You love pop music, you just don't realise it.

Edited by kalel at 10:16:20 11-03-2013
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:15:40 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hah. Nas is one of the most popular, commercial acts in the history of music, you dunce.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:19:14 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, is Billy Joel legitimately someone 'cool' people like? I work in quite a hispterish office and got a few eyerolls when I declared 'god, i fucking hate billy joel' after The Downeast Alexa came on.

Its just a shitty power ballad shouted out by a drunk uncle.

Same with piano man.

• LeoliansBro 11 Mar 2013 10:20:00 44,742 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone who did 'We Didn't Start the Fire' is alright with me.

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:20:03
    Pharrell is more or less the modern day Phil Spector incidentally. Anything that has The Neptunes attached to it is pop music.

Not that I'm slagging of Neptunes btw. Their work is quality. Again, this whole "anti-pop" stance is pure ignorant snobbery.
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:21:37
    nickthegun wrote:
    Also, is Billy Joel legitimately someone 'cool' people like? I work in quite a hispterish office and got a few eyerolls when I declared 'god, i fucking hate billy joel' after The Downeast Alexa came on.

Its just a shitty power ballad shouted out by a drunk uncle.

Same with piano man.
    I've always seen him as a sort of second rate American take on Elton John. I quite like Always a Woman to Me, but generally it's all a bit shmaltzy.
  • speedofthepuma 11 Mar 2013 10:22:12 13,310 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    But surely fans grow up and want something different? That's why acts burn brightly but quickly nowadays I guess. Musicians seem so comfortable with being type cast.
    Even in the so called 'indie' scene. You get a band like MGMT who release an album that everyone spunks over and sells millions, then they release the second album and it absolutely bombs.

For whatever reason *everyone* is faddy at the moment, not just the pop pickers, mate.
    Yeah,that's what I meant, I wasn't singling out pop.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:28:01
    nickthegun wrote:
    Hah. Nas is one of the most popular, commercial acts in the history of music, you dunce.
    Maybe our opinions on commercial is different.

NAS is popular but he isn't commercial cheese.

I class pop/commercial as stuff everyone hears on the radio and your local cheese club.
    NAS last album with the don, locomotive, accidental murders etc is not you would here if you were not into rap. No one except rap fans would have heard NAS new music.

So yeah it sold pretty well but that is because of rap music fans.

50cent, Nelly, flo Rida are what I consider pop music because your average person knows the new music.

Same with styles p etc only people with interest in the genre know their work.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:29:51 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, in summary, pop is stuff you dont like and stuff you like is hardcore underground shit.

Got ya.

Im now off to alter its definition on wikipedia.

• chopsen 11 Mar 2013 10:30:54 16,209 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like Billy Joel. Yes, schmaltzy as hell, but it's great.

Here's something I was thinking over the weekend: why is ZZ Top apparently ok, but Status Quo a laughing stock? I was listening to ZZ Top on spotify and thinking it's the same bloody riffs ffs. Status Quo really really are turgid, but I really don't see how ZZ Top are better. They just have novelty facial hair.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:34:14 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because ZZ Top sing about drinking whiskey and fucking whores. The Quo are what ZZ Top would be if they deliberately made music for middle aged women.

Quo never made a song like La Grange.

Well, technically, they did but it kicks ass more than rockin all over the world.

• warlockuk 11 Mar 2013 10:34:23 19,215 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What the fuck is a Flo Rida?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:35:11
    Anyone that's bought a Mariah Carey album will know who Styles P is.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:35:24 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Americas Wang

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:36:29
    As for Flo Rida, Low is a great pop song. More snobbery.
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:42:49
    nickthegun wrote:
    So, in summary, pop is stuff you dont like and stuff you like is hardcore underground shit.

Got ya.

Im now off to alter its definition on wikipedia.
    NAS isn't hardcore underground, never said anything like that. Just said it isn't radio friendly commercial.

Also it doesn't matter what I say as you would come back with a sarcastic retarded comment no matter if my post was good or bad.

I dislike plenty of pop and plenty of underground if it is good music I like it.
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:43:15
    Toxic by Britney Spears and Biology by Girls Aloud are totally *fabulous* pop songs.

*s for extra pizazz.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:44:33 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Also it doesn't matter what I say as you would come back with a sarcastic retarded comment no matter if my post was good or bad.
    Try a bit of the former, see how that works out for you. Im getting bored of responding to the latter.

• nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:46:19 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    Toxic by Britney Spears
    Written by Cathy Dennis, 80s pop fans.

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:49:20
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Thank you Beatles for Britney spears and Justin beiber. Man the Beatles really shaped pop well. :p.
    To illustrate the point, both Britney Spears and Justin Bierber (who you clearly sneer down upon as some sort of lower form of music) have had songs produced for them by The Neptunes.

What exactly do you think is so different about that process as to when The Neptunes work with Clipse? What makes that magically not commercial?

Edited by kalel at 10:49:53 11-03-2013
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:54:07
    The neptunes is the beat (as you know) so the can make harder beats like doorman or they can make nice beats like frontin etc. When they working with clipse (ignoring the track I'm good) they are making the harder beats of their repertoire and then the clipse drop very non radio friendly verses.

Grindin got some air time ten years past but sadly the scene so bad now that you wouldn't see grindin on MTV if it were released today because there wouldn't be time in between all the beiber, flo Rida and lmfao.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 10:55:54 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, because the network wasnt flooded with pop music 10 years ago. Are you high?

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 10:56:16
    You seem to feel that a certain style of beat, and a few gold teeth and scary tattoos suddenly makes something no longer "commercial" or aimed at the mainstream. You are so so wrong. Most of that posturing hardcore rap bullshit is in fact a mainstream commercial thing. The real hardcore don't do that bullshit.
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 11:03:32
    I agree a lot of it is a front to get appeal. In the UK though it isn't commercial pop music.

No one I know has heard of the clipse unless they love their rap and then they like daymn the clipse are fierce dat pusha t can spit hard yo.

Re gun post, yeah of course it was flooded with cheese ten years ago but now there seems to be no room what so ever for any artist outside of the pure commercial bred white that is beiber. I must have twenty music channels and I got to search hard to find a good song.

I'm sure there is lots of great new music but I'm not allowed to hear it as it is so hidden. Ten.tears ago I could hear clipse, Wu tang, Redman etc.
  • LeoliansBro 11 Mar 2013 11:04:46 44,742 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hahahahahahahaha! What the fuck are you writing like?

• nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 11:05:07 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    No one I know has heard of the clipse
    Presumably because all of your friends are middle aged mums who have two albums in their cars: Adele and Mumford and Sons.

• Deleted user 11 March 2013 11:06:56
    What does the UK have to do with anything? The music you're talking about is being made for the American pop charts. That's a fact. Just because your NCT coffee morning friends haven't heart of it does not make it any less so.
  • nickthegun 11 Mar 2013 11:10:41 61,070 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It genuinely made me lol at the thought of revan sticking a clipse cd on at an NCT morning.

Shall I stick some music on?
    Yes, something relaxing, the kids didnt sleep well last night
    OK
    *Grin-din', when you know what I keep in a lining
    Niggas better stay in line, when
    When you see a nigga like me shinin' *

• Page

of 9 First / Last