Why have the white British left London? Page 8

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Feb 2013 14:52:47 39,379 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Liverpool has become wonderfully diverse too. I love it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• RedSparrows 21 Feb 2013 14:54:49 23,892 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They all steal things, white and black alike?
  • elstoof 21 Feb 2013 14:57:29 8,092 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you find many non English speaking qualified GP's apply for jobs in the UK?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Feb 2013 14:59:14 39,379 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    They all steal things, white and black alike?
    Equal opportunity thieving. It's the future.

In all seriousness, Liverpool is a great city these days, and the ethnic diversity is a large part of that.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Feb 2013 15:01:06 39,379 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Do you find many non English speaking qualified GP's apply for jobs in the UK?
    It was a terrible strawman argument, you're best off ignoring him.

• Deleted user 21 February 2013 15:09:11
    How do you know how much they interact with them?
  • Puppaz 21 Feb 2013 15:09:39 332 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Makes me laugh when people go on about how much interaction people have with each other despite having about as much interaction with them as posting hate on a forum.
  • simsini 21 Feb 2013 15:10:51 329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't care what lauguages people speak to each other in. I'm not bothered when I walk down the street and hear a number of different languages. I would love to see a new generation of highly skilled workers who are British born and value being British regardless of different origins.

My main point in this discussion has been the speed of change and nobody has addressed this. With so many different languages, it is impossible for people to integrate and get to know and understand each other. Children in London schools are suffering because they are having to cater for so many different languages. Councils are spending large amounts of money on translation services. If this was all one or two different languages, it would be fine, but we are talking over 100 here over the whole of London.

The UK has allowed almost unchecked immigration in recent times and it is too much too fast. Nobdoy has been given time to gel with each other and this is good for nobody regardless of your race, religion or culture.
  • chopsen 21 Feb 2013 15:14:15 16,209 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Children in London schools are suffering because they are having to cater for so many different languages." [Citation needed]
  • sweatyBallacks 21 Feb 2013 15:20:57 30 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    London is a shithole. In fact, 90% of the country is a shit hole. I am moving abroad to pursue my dreams at the end of this year hommies.
  • crispyduckman 21 Feb 2013 15:25:42 1,888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sweatyBallacks wrote:
    London is a shithole. In fact, 90% of the country is a shit hole. I am moving abroad to pursue my dreams at the end of this year hommies.
    While island hopping in the south of Thailand, I thought about this myself while sharing a spliff with friends on the beach one evening. Next thing I know, I'm wiping someone's spittle off my face on the tube.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• simsini 21 Feb 2013 15:26:18 329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Chopsen A friend of mine was a primary school teacher in the East End, she has now moved out of the area to Chelmsford. (I guess she is one of those would could be a subject of the original question)

She has noticed the changes that have happened so quickly over the last 10 years. She could cope with one or two kids struggling with English, but not nearly all of them as it was when she left. The parents had given their children no preparation for what primary school was like in the UK regarding our culture, let alone the language. There were also cases of racist bullying, but it was more often against the white children not the other way round.

The main point is that children were being held back not be lack of ability necessary, but by language.

Edited by simsini at 15:28:30 21-02-2013
  • Deleted user 21 February 2013 15:26:35
    EuroStalker wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:
    Okay, I'm going to take my leave. Before I go though, a quick message to all the folk here:

As a non-white mixed race person, albeit British born, the thing I am absolutely most proud of when I tell people I'm British is that I genuinely think we are the most tolerant and beautifully multi cultural, ethic, racial place in the world. There will always be someone with some misguided belief or a bad experience which has led them down the path of racism but the number of British people like that are incredibly low.

There are parts of Africa, the Middle East, Far East, everywhere really, where racism and hatred is so potent that some people literally kill each other on sight. We are so far ahead of the curve it's insane. We should all consider ourselves a fucking shining example of how to do Humanity right.

Next step, let's spread this love all over the world - one internet forum at a time!
    I agree although I hate that word, 'tolerant'. I prefer acceptance. I equate tolerance with negatives.

I can remember the 4 times I was racially abused growing up in London. First time was around 25 years ago in primary school, lining up for lunch, a black girl brushed past me and scowled 'move Paki'. Second time was a few years later, a bunch of teenage white boys screaming Paki on a bus which was driving past us outside Stepney Green station. Would have chased them but it was quite hot.

Third time was on the top deck of a bus when a black teenage girl from school refused to sit next to me, saying to her friends, "I ain't sitting next to that curry smelling Paki" or something to that effect. Ok, I did have a curry at lunch and I am of Asian origin but what really hurt was the smell part. I was wearing Lynx Africa that day, not cheap for a teenager.

Fourth time was on the way back from Bromley South where I worked at Electronic Boutique (now Game). This drunken white dude shouted 'Go home Paki'. Funny thing is I was going home back to Stepney.

Funny ol world we live in.
    Lynx Africa!? How could they do such a thing to you!?

You seem to think their race is very important.
  • sweatyBallacks 21 Feb 2013 15:29:33 30 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @crispyduckman You gotta get away. Any self-respecting, cultured man would have plans to get away from the country as soon as possible. For a start, I can earn a lot more in Brazil teaching English. Also, what's ludicrous is the cost of owning your own home. What's the average mortgage deposit now in London? £40,000?? Fucking insane and insulting.

You'd have to be a millionaire to buy a decent home and provide for two kids living in London, seriously.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Feb 2013 15:31:17 39,379 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used to insults hurled at me by teenagers when I had long hair. I couldn't tell you the colour of their skin.

• SClaw 21 Feb 2013 15:35:44 826 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MrTomFTW I hope you were in a metal band. Otherwise you deserved it.
  • crispyduckman 21 Feb 2013 15:40:31 1,888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    simsini wrote:
    @Chopsen A friend of mine was a primary school teacher in the East End, she has now moved out of the area to Chelmsford. (I guess she is one of those would could be a subject of the original question)

She has noticed the changes that have happened so quickly over the last 10 years. She could cope with one or two kids struggling with English, but not nearly all of them as it was when she left. The parents had given their children no preparation for what primary school was like in the UK regarding our culture, let alone the language. There were also cases of racist bullying, but it was more often against the white children not the other way round.

The main point is that children were being held back not be lack of ability necessary, but by language.
    Like I said a few pages back, I think this is a reasonable point. However, immigration control may not be an appropriate solution (indeed it's an academic point In relation to EU languages). Also, it's a complex issue. FYI, I didn't speak any English before I went to nursery school (intentionally so - many well educated multi language families do this) and, as Redsparrows will attest to, I'm pretty well spoken.

• JuanKerr 21 Feb 2013 15:47:30 36,424 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sweatyBallacks wrote:
    I do hope you carry on posting on here when you move away.
  • THFourteen 21 Feb 2013 15:48:04 34,267 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    DEY TAWK OUR JAWBS
    TAK R JAAABS
  • crispyduckman 21 Feb 2013 15:49:41 1,888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sweatyBallacks wrote:
    @crispyduckman You gotta get away. Any self-respecting, cultured man would have plans to get away from the country as soon as possible. For a start, I can earn a lot more in Brazil teaching English. Also, what's ludicrous is the cost of owning your own home. What's the average mortgage deposit now in London? £40,000?? Fucking insane and insulting.

You'd have to be a millionaire to buy a decent home and provide for two kids living in London, seriously.
    Nah, I'm one of those left wing liberals who takes massive advantage of the right wing capitalist ways of this country.

• SClaw 21 Feb 2013 15:53:10 826 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You should try living in Birmingham. No one can understand what anyone is saying, because regardless of language we all speak different versions of unintelligible yam-yam. And donít even get me started on the Yorkshire side of my family... Iíve got no fuckiní clue what their saying most of the time.

Language is a pretty minor barrier and best conquered by interaction. As I said before, I work with a lot of French/Portuguese/Arab Africans and youíd be surprised how much you can get done with a few words and gestures even if language skills are not complete. So long as youíre willing to try - from both sides - itís not a big deal and it can be an enjoyable exchange.

Maybe they should learn the language before they come here... maybe... but then again maybe we all need to try harder to help them. You canít learn everything about a language or culture from a textbook. You have to get stuck in eventually, and being a prick about them not having instantly perfect English isnít exactly helpful.
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Feb 2013 16:01:49 39,515 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simsini wrote:

The UK has allowed almost unchecked immigration in recent times and it is too much too fast. Nobdoy has been given time to gel with each other and this is good for nobody regardless of your race, religion or culture.
    Have you been to a port of any kind recently?

You've won. Now shut up and reap the rewards of your anti-immigration ideal.

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 16:02:09 21-02-2013

Come and get it cumslingers!

• simsini 21 Feb 2013 16:18:48 329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc Nothing anti-immigration about wanting it to be limited to skilled workers, but in any case, thank you for the victory. :)

Edited by simsini at 16:30:09 21-02-2013
  • RedSparrows 21 Feb 2013 16:20:53 23,892 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EuroStalker wrote:
    crispyduckman wrote:
    Okay, I'm going to take my leave. Before I go though, a quick message to all the folk here:

As a non-white mixed race person, albeit British born, the thing I am absolutely most proud of when I tell people I'm British is that I genuinely think we are the most tolerant and beautifully multi cultural, ethic, racial place in the world. There will always be someone with some misguided belief or a bad experience which has led them down the path of racism but the number of British people like that are incredibly low.

There are parts of Africa, the Middle East, Far East, everywhere really, where racism and hatred is so potent that some people literally kill each other on sight. We are so far ahead of the curve it's insane. We should all consider ourselves a fucking shining example of how to do Humanity right.

Next step, let's spread this love all over the world - one internet forum at a time!
    I agree although I hate that word, 'tolerant'. I prefer acceptance. I equate tolerance with negatives.

I can remember the 4 times I was racially abused growing up in London. First time was around 25 years ago in primary school, lining up for lunch, a black girl brushed past me and scowled 'move Paki'. Second time was a few years later, a bunch of teenage white boys screaming Paki on a bus which was driving past us outside Stepney Green station. Would have chased them but it was quite hot.

Third time was on the top deck of a bus when a black teenage girl from school refused to sit next to me, saying to her friends, "I ain't sitting next to that curry smelling Paki" or something to that effect. Ok, I did have a curry at lunch and I am of Asian origin but what really hurt was the smell part. I was wearing Lynx Africa that day, not cheap for a teenager.

Fourth time was on the way back from Bromley South where I worked at Electronic Boutique (now Game). This drunken white dude shouted 'Go home Paki'. Funny thing is I was going home back to Stepney.

Funny ol world we live in.
    Tolerance and acceptance aren't synonymns. As you suggest, tolerance has an element of negativity about it (partially through 'living with' things you dislike, but also because it's become something of a dirty word for idiots).
  • Page

of 11 First / Last