Playstation Retrospect

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • ReadingAid 17 Feb 2013 12:20:19 212 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey everyone, haven't posted in a while but I thought this would be fun.

So I was talking to a friend this morning and we were talking about our stories of the playstation history, essentially how we got our systems. It seems somewhat appropriate with all the PS4 speculation.

My story with PS started with Nintendo funnily enough...

I remember probably a year after ps one came out I was harping onto my dad about getting an N64 and he mentioned that there also was this playstation thing, I scoffed at him and told him I was certain I wanted a Nintendo (having had a Snes).

But having my head turned I checked it out and I loved the way the games looked, how dynamic they were and changed my mind and requested it on my Santa list.

When I spoke tomy dad about it, he said that they had sold out and weren't getting any till after Christmas, I was gutted. So I resigned myself to the usual bits and bobs for Chimbo. Come Christmas Day under the tree was a suspicious and heavy package, surely not, my father all my life wouldn't have lied to me....as I ripped open the paper is till remember to this day the excitement and anticipation I felt when I realised I had my very own PS.

I think I got FIFA road to World Cup and some low level action game.

I remember most of my gaming relied on rentals, every weekend I would rent a new game and try and burn through it, those yellow and blue plastic cases from blockbuster.

Also most of my gaming was from demo discs, I remember playing MGS demo over and over relentlessly, the magic of it really captured my imagination.

Release dates were never solid and it was a question of asking the shop assistants if there were any updates on release, magazines would have dodgy release schedules, often conflicting with each other.

So this is my PsOne experience, ill post my PS2 which is just as magical after a few replies.
  • Cosmopolitan 17 Feb 2013 12:22:38 1,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They should make a movie about PlayStation, it deserves it.

The Master of Unlocking.

• MadCaddy13 17 Feb 2013 12:24:17 1,840 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cool story, bro
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Feb 2013 12:51:17 36,282 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ReadingAid wrote:
    So this is my PsOne experience, ill post my PS2 which is just as magical after a few replies.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 12:51:35 17-02-2013

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• NOSAVIOUR 17 Feb 2013 12:53:23 2,802 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought my ps one on release but can't remember it, but I remember all my Nintendo console purchases with one big happy face. Strange.

Edited by NOSAVIOUR at 12:53:55 17-02-2013
  • riceNpea 17 Feb 2013 12:57:16 592 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i went to the HMV in Picadilly on launch day and bought mine along with Wipeout and Tekken.

my cousin was over from Spain (i'm of Spanish decent) and he had barely heard of playstation. he was blown away and i was firmly established as the Don of the family.

edit: was that really that long ago? nearly 20 years. seems like yesterday.

Edited by riceNpea at 13:15:42 17-02-2013
  • jonsaan 17 Feb 2013 13:03:33 25,252 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I sold my PS1 to get an N64.

FCUTA!

• greenmekon 17 Feb 2013 13:04:28 150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember clearly the day i bought my psone. My flat mate worked at woolworths so got 10%off. I was planning on buying a saturn, but then my mate mentioned that sony had a console. Bought the psone home and was blown away. All my mates came round and were amazed. I think around 12 psones were sold after my mates saw it.... awesome
  • Syrette 17 Feb 2013 15:07:07 41,864 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My PS1 was sold to fund a PS2. Both had nothing on the love between me and my Dreamcast.

I've gone through about 6 PS2s due to no fault of my own.

My imported PSP fell out of my bag a week after I bought it, breaking the square button in half.

I'm considering selling my VIta by the year's end if things don't improve drastically.

• SYS64738 17 Feb 2013 15:09:52 1,512 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had to flip my PS1 on its top to stop games freeze.
  • djronz. 19 Feb 2013 10:15:17 185 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bought my ps1 after 3do went bust. I loved that console but after seeing wipeout 2097 and resi on some tv show I just had to get a ps1. Bought it with those to games and formula 1 a week later.

Pre ordered my ps2 with a copy of ssx and tekken and gladiator on one of those new fangled dvd things. My ps2 was my dvd player for a year or so but suffered from terrible lip sync issues. Ssx was class though.

Again ps3 was launch day, just motor storm at first which i still think is underrated but still looks awesome graphically. Bought resistance a week later which is the best one in my opinion and introduced me to online gaming.
  • ibenam 19 Feb 2013 13:00:46 1,277 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone know where I can memorobilia like a poster of relating to the "double life" Playstation adverts?
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next