The Islam Thread. Page 32

  • Page

    of 100 First / Last

  • Ka-blamo 29 Oct 2013 17:57:16 7,280 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Human nature is just another sub-category of life. And life is just another sub-category of matter. All matter should come together and celebrate existence.
  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Oct 2013 18:37:14 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Is Dan back with his vague musings on vagueness?
    That's a pretty vague accusation. Someone who feels inferior will try to band together with others - That's what the form of the question implies. A numerical advantage often does the trick. All that you are saying, in plain english, is - "You talk shit, just because."

    No reasonable arguments.

    But saying that directly would be too aggressive and sound rather primitive. So you dress it up in a nice suit.
  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Oct 2013 18:40:24 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Human nature is just another sub-category of life. And life is just another sub-category of matter. All matter should come together and celebrate existence.
    Cute cat.

    It's a hyperbole. The argument that human nature is not in itself, again, a group like religion or nations. So if group is bad then why stop at the level of humanity. If bigger group size is better, that is.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 29 Oct 2013 18:44:42 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Group isn't bad inherently, caring for our family is regarded as a virtue; community is an extension of this idea also.
  • -cerberus- 29 Oct 2013 18:58:03 2,402 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Groups aren't necessarily bad, indeed. But a large group of brainwashed saps thinking they have the right to impose whatever type of immoral punishment they see fit upon their fellow man or woman 'because the invisible thing in the sky said so, and we're not allowed to question it, no matter how much pain and suffering it causes' - that is very, very bad.

    "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

    "You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

  • disusedgenius 29 Oct 2013 18:59:15 5,195 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's a pretty stupid quote right there.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 29 Oct 2013 19:03:50 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    At what point is the good person committing evil acts judged to be definitively good?

    Everything is a shade of grey as far as I see it.
  • bladdard 29 Oct 2013 19:05:25 899 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    That's a pretty stupid quote right there.
    Why is it stupid? Find me a good argument for religion or even a shred of evidence and I'll bestow upon thee my all worldly goods.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Oct 2013 19:06:13 43,133 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Human nature is just another sub-category of life. And life is just another sub-category of matter. All matter should come together and celebrate existence.
    Cute cat.

    It's a hyperbole. The argument that human nature is not in itself, again, a group like religion or nations. So if group is bad then why stop at the level of humanity. If bigger group size is better, that is.
    It isn't hyperbole, it's meaningless stoner wisdom dressed up with portent. Compare 'all things are made up of colours, and all colours are just waves man, so we should come together and celebrate surfing.'

    Hang ten Johnny Utah, but you don't actually have anything useful to say.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • xuiton 29 Oct 2013 19:11:10 297 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    back on topic. islam sucks.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Oct 2013 19:12:20 43,133 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bladdard wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    That's a pretty stupid quote right there.
    Why is it stupid? Find me a good argument for religion or even a shred of evidence and I'll bestow upon thee my all worldly goods.
    How about, in the absence of scientific understanding, religion was a best guess at what caused the world around us made by the cleverest and most educated members of society?

    Sure it's outmoded now, which is why all those internet heroes find it so easy to poke holes in it. But find me a shred of evidence for parallel universes or superstring theory today, yet we take those concepts as possibilities because clever people tell us they're the best explanations they have.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Rusty_M 29 Oct 2013 19:13:47 4,565 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't see why Islam seems to get so much more scrutiny than pretty much any other religion.

    Well actually, I do, but I think it's full of shit, and that we shouldn't be attacking people for what deity they believe in, but for their violent practices.

    The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Oct 2013 19:14:37 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Group isn't bad inherently, caring for our family is regarded as a virtue; community is an extension of this idea also.
    No argument from me there.

    But all those things come with a trade-off. If someone focuses on his family, to make that work, then there will be less time and resources left for the community at large.

    Put that into the subject of taxes for example. If a man and a woman who want to support their family have to pay a lot of taxes then they focus less of their resources on their own family and more on the community at large.

    That community at large includes the members of that family and of course, that money is then redistributed among those members, but, where does the loyalty lie then?

    That's why we see the disintegration of the typical family structure because it's not desirable, by the current ideal. The community at large is more important. You can see that disintegration of communities everywhere, not only families.

    Humanity is now the new 'family'. Every individual in that large pool is quite easily replaceable.

    Bottomline is that an individual has only a limited amount of energy and it can't have it all at the same time.
  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Oct 2013 19:17:34 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @LeoliansBro You do realize that I was making fun of stoner wisdom? A couple of decades ago it would have been called stoner wisdom to call for the harmonious unification of humanity. Now that we have progressed it's the new truth. We'll see how much further we 'progress'.
  • Dirtbox 29 Oct 2013 19:20:00 77,454 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    More insipid bullshit.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • LeoliansBro 29 Oct 2013 19:20:12 43,133 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Must have missed the bit where you were mocking bullshit rather than talking it. How convenient you popped back in to clarify after the fact.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Khanivor 29 Oct 2013 19:20:47 40,349 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can I not have some of what he's smoking?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 29 Oct 2013 19:21:02 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As you say, there are positive and negative products of any social groups irrespective of distinction, national, religious etc.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Oct 2013 19:23:31 43,133 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Can I not have some of what he's smoking?
    It'll make you see the universe in the palm of your hand, and make you seem like a retarded twat wasting everyone's time.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Oct 2013 19:33:03 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    Can I not have some of what he's smoking?
    It'll make you see the universe in the palm of your hand, and make you seem like a retarded twat wasting everyone's time.
    It does upset you, what I write. I don't insult you and if it's just wasting your time and boring to you then don't read what I write - that would be a natural response when you get bored. You just close the book. If you write an angry review about the book then it rubbed you the wrong way, not because it was boring, especially not if you didn't have to pay for the book.
  • Deleted user 29 October 2013 19:36:59
    This is like listening to Johnny Five after he got smashed to bits in Short Circuit 2.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Oct 2013 19:42:42 43,133 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually no, if a book doesn't say anything interesting or useful I'd point that out too.

    Goodfella - nobody shat in my Cornflakes. What an odd thing to say.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Oct 2013 19:52:14 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Actually no, if a book doesn't say anything interesting or useful I'd point that out too.

    Goodfella - nobody shat in my Cornflakes. What an odd thing to say.
    Now you sound more relaxed again. And I don't believe you about pointing that out. But I'm not gonna pursue that.
  • disusedgenius 29 Oct 2013 19:53:39 5,195 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bladdard wrote:
    Why is it stupid?
    It's stupid because it's separating the quality of the man with his actions. If good men do evil things... what's making them good again?

    Also any argument that pretends that humans would be different if we didn't have religion is, like, stupid plus or something. If humanity didn't develop a need for religion at some point we would indeed be different.

    Also any position that elevates the power of it's counter is even more stupid: Nothing else but religion can warp a person's quality? Really?

    Also any argument that ignores the babel fish is stupid. But that was your augment, not the quote's. So you can probably ignore that one.

    Edited by disusedgenius at 20:03:17 29-10-2013
  • jimbogreen 29 Oct 2013 19:54:40 88 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Post deleted
  • jimbogreen 29 Oct 2013 19:57:45 88 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Group isn't bad inherently, caring for our family is regarded as a virtue; community is an extension of this idea also.
    No argument from me there.

    But all those things come with a trade-off. If someone focuses on his family, to make that work, then there will be less time and resources left for the community at large.

    Put that into the subject of taxes for example. If a man and a woman who want to support their family have to pay a lot of taxes then they focus less of their resources on their own family and more on the community at large.

    That community at large includes the members of that family and of course, that money is then redistributed among those members, but, where does the loyalty lie then?

    That's why we see the disintegration of the typical family structure because it's not desirable, by the current ideal. The community at large is more important. You can see that disintegration of communities everywhere, not only families.

    Humanity is now the new 'family'. Every individual in that large pool is quite easily replaceable.

    Bottomline is that an individual has only a limited amount of energy and it can't have it all at the same time.
    Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that?

    It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 29 Oct 2013 20:00:10 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not that big an r&b fan, but she was great.
  • Dangerous_Dan 29 Oct 2013 20:07:16 2,378 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's nice to hear, jimbo. It's a bit off-topic though, don't ya think?
  • Page

    of 100 First / Last

Log in or register to reply