Do we know too much?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • pigsy2400 12 Feb 2013 14:53:34 153 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do we know too much?

When I was 9yrs old, I used to save my pocket money for months and go shopping for commodore64 games. I didnt have access to reviews or opinions on how good / bad the games were like we have today.

All I had to go on was how cool the box art was and the blurb on the back of the cassette box & possibly some technical talk that made no sense, "MEGA 8 MEMORY" being one such phrase I can remember from the Megadrive/Genesis days. Many of these games I got were gems, but 2months worth of pocket money spent on a game that didnt even work or was bad when it did was heartbreaking to my 9yr old self.

But in this day and age, we have access to Twitter accounts of developers, blogs, gaming websites, RSS feeds, Leaks, forum postings. In short it seems nothing can be kept secret anymore.

I would never want to revert to the world of "what the boxart is like" ever again, but it does seem to me that nothing in the games industry can be kept secret anymore, we are overloaded with so much information prior to a new game / hardware unveiling that is no longer, dare I say exciting / fun?

The lack of surprise & the not knowing what is going to be unveiled or shown has completely gone.

All it seems now is that we check off what was on the "Rumor" list when something is officially revealed.

With the Playstation 4 "Reveal" coming on the 20th of February, if that is what is going to happen (the internet certainly has taken it to be so)

The internet hordes will be out crossing off their real facts against their rumor check list & no doubt complaining and celebrating at the same time.

Maybe I am still just a 9yr old mentally (it has been suggested before), all I know is that I still want to be surprised & excited and I seldom am these days.
  • imamazed 12 Feb 2013 14:54:36 5,903 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    possibly
  • Popzeus 12 Feb 2013 14:54:53 8,413 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just don't read previews? Works for me.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Syrette 12 Feb 2013 14:56:53 44,101 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    Just don't read previews? Works for me.
    Yup.

Found it surprisingly easy to go all the way from announcement to purchase without seeing much at all of a game I'm interested in. It's not like it's in your face.

• Deleted user 12 February 2013 14:57:07
    I used to get Sinclair User when I was a kid, then Mean Machines, and then Edge. Nothing has really changed for me.
  • Blerk Moderator 12 Feb 2013 14:57:14 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still think there are plenty of people who buy their games solely based on the box art and the screenshots on the back. There's no other explanation.
  • Murbs 12 Feb 2013 14:59:01 22,525 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I still think there are plenty of people who buy their games solely based on the box art and the screenshots on the back. There's no other explanation.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 12 Feb 2013 14:59:04 39,391 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OH BOY! THE OFFICIAL LOST GAME - I BET THIS IS AWESOME!
    /buys

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• quadfather 12 Feb 2013 15:00:47 13,202 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    That's the edited picture.

If you know what I mean ;)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• mal 12 Feb 2013 15:02:01 22,794 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I bought a fucktonne of shit games when I was a kid because I didn't know any better. Mind you, I enjoyed them, because I didn't know any better games.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• neilka 12 Feb 2013 15:06:05 16,471 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are still Atari ST games I never played that seem incredible in my head because of the adverts and screenshots at the time. It's probably best if I never play them.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Deleted user 12 February 2013 15:12:33
    When I owned an Atari ST it used to piss me off that they would always use the screenshots from the Amiga version.

Also, why did the ST version of Kick Off 2 not have nets like the Amiga, they're just sprites surely?
  • nickthegun 12 Feb 2013 15:15:41 61,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was gods punishment for buying the wrong computer.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Murbs 12 Feb 2013 15:16:02 22,525 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @quadfather so it is! I honestly hadn't noticed ;-)

(.)(.)

Edited by Murbal at 15:16:20 12-02-2013
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 12 Feb 2013 15:24:27 39,391 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Spectrum version of Shadow Warrior had Amiga screenshots on the box, incorrectly labelled as Spectrum. I did warn my friend it couldn't possibly be right...

• nickthegun 12 Feb 2013 15:26:49 61,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved shadow warrior. Amazing gwfx.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Dirtbox 12 Feb 2013 15:28:57 78,851 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• SClaw 12 Feb 2013 15:31:13 826 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Makes no difference. I've read a ton of stunning previews for triple-a games and then the games turned out to be steaming piles of shit; and I've had exactly the reverse too. It's all down to personal taste at the end of the day. Reading previews and leaks simply serves to keep me excited about my hobby - it doesn't particularly inform my purchasing.
  • ZuluHero 12 Feb 2013 15:34:34 4,240 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's nice to be able to make an informed decision though isn't it?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 12 Feb 2013 15:36:57 39,391 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I remember Zub! Damn, I'm going to play that tonight. I bet it will be shit.

• jellyhead 12 Feb 2013 15:41:44 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBB! \0/

The other thing is that we have more experience now. I've been playing videogames for close to 30 years now so i think i've got a handle on what i like and what i won't and how good something is likely to be. I'm rarely surprised anymore but every now and then something i'd overlooked blows me away.

I just read forum threads for impressions and reviewers i have respect for and then make my own mind up.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Murbs 12 Feb 2013 15:42:52 22,525 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @MrTomFTW I'll be damned if that menu screen isn't better than the game. It rang a bell for me too - I'm sure I had it. Checked a youtube video - yup, I remember that!

What I didn't remember until watching the video is that it's the Doodle Jump of it's day!
  • quadfather 12 Feb 2013 15:48:17 13,202 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Plus, it all really took off years ago, when bedroom programmers were coding all kinds of things. There seemed to be a lot more imagination going into games so you'd get a nice varied selection. And you could pretty much make what you like. But without the internet etc selling this product, you'd never really know about it, until the review in your favourite mag.

Whereas nowadays, there's a lot more larger companies investing a lot of time to deliver a big classic, pumped out through the net, so it's obviously going to be available.

Not that it's all bad - plenty of great things from indie devs, when you look beyond the sheen of poo that's the mainstream stuff (imo obviously)

I do get a bit bogged down with all the advertisements everywhere, along with previews, trailers etc, but as it's been said already, I just wait until I see the finished article to see if it's something I like.

Works out ok

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Luke_Martin_VA 12 Feb 2013 20:15:10 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    S'funny - I never bother reading reviews for albums or films and just instinctively know what I'm going to like.

Wonder why I put so much stock in game reviews?

Is it the 'mechanical' aspect of them? Rather like buyng a car - you want to be assured of the build quality and functionality above and beyond the aesthetic and style?

w w w . v o x e l a r c a d e . c o m

• jonsaan 12 Feb 2013 20:20:48 25,439 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The fight over the spec of 2 unannounced and unreleased next gen machines on the front page is a great example of all that is bad about the games industry right now.

FCUTA!

• BurnoutJunkie 12 Feb 2013 20:37:54 728 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @pigsy2400 Yep, we know too much. The internet ruined gaming for me for a while. I haven't read any game reviews in the last 5-6 years and just enjoy the games I buy for what they are. I'd find that the reviews would mention / complain about things I'd never notice, and that would affect my enjoyment of the game had I not known otherwise (because then I'd notice too). I alos like that I tend to make my own mind up about a game as opposed to having someone else influence my take on it.

Best decision I made with regard to gaming. It helps that I don't buy very many games.

Edited by BurnoutJunkie at 20:38:30 12-02-2013
  • Luke_Martin_VA 12 Feb 2013 20:50:36 167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The obsession with sites like Metacritic and Gamerankings doesn't help.

w w w . v o x e l a r c a d e . c o m

• Triggerhappytel 12 Feb 2013 21:25:07 2,695 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do think that digesting every little morsel of news and footage online diminishes the magic of gaming a little. It's the reason I'm trying to go on an information blackout regarding The Last of Us; if know I'll love it and I don't want any of the juicy stuff spoiled.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next