The 'Ageing Badly' thread (sponsored by my face) Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • zisssou 5 Feb 2013 07:04:35 587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Goodfella I think Bottom will always be funny, but then again I've never grown up :(
  • smoothpete 5 Feb 2013 08:43:46 31,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not really on topic exactly but I saw a car this morning with a Fat Willy's Surf Shack sticker in the window and had a massive flashback to my youth, and global hypercolour t-shirts
  • nickthegun 5 Feb 2013 09:18:32 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I told a really big lie about global hypercolour tshirts tha tmy whole class believed, but I cant for the life of me remember what it was.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kalel 5 Feb 2013 09:22:09 86,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Truffleshuffle have brought them back (with a slight name tweak for legal reasons).

http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/mens-brands-global-technacolour-m-143-g-1.html
  • kalel 5 Feb 2013 09:25:02 86,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OMG, they have a new fancy dress section and it's full of awesome.

http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/mens-skeletor-fancy-dress-costume-p-4770.html
  • nickthegun 5 Feb 2013 09:27:53 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was such a weird fashion. Put pubescent teenagers in t-shirts that drew attention to their newly sweaty pits.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• TheSaint 5 Feb 2013 09:30:35 14,198 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:

http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/mens-skeletor-fancy-dress-costume-p-4770.html
    http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/mens-superted-fancy-dress-costume-p-8134.html
  • Zomoniac 5 Feb 2013 09:36:51 7,785 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Aged beyond terribly - Blackadder 1.
    I have to disagree, for me The Blackadder has improved over time.
    Goes Forth is potentially the weakest of the 4 series - watch it a few times and you'll spot the overuse of the same formulaic joke structure. Individually I think the episodes can still stand up, but don't watch two in a row...
    I think you can make that claim of all of them though. Edmund tries to get rich, usually via some diabolical scheme, it goes badly wrong, every second line is him using one of his rota of similes to insult the rest of the cast. Repeat. The same joke structure was used throughout all of Blackadder and then recycled and almost carbon copied into The Thin Blue Line.
  • puddleduck 5 Feb 2013 09:38:45 1,853 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dangermouse is still ace, so I disagree with whoever said it had aged badly. Count Duckula as well, in fact any cartoon that had David Jason doing the voices can't help but stand the test of time.

FIFA games age very badly. Within a year they're pretty much obsolete.

I happen to think Red Dwarf has aged badly, but I appreciate that a lot of people think it hasn't. It still has some classic episodes, but try and get someone to watch it when they weren't very in to it at the time, and they genuniely think you're retarded.

One final one, I loved them as a kid, so was pleasantly surprised to find I still think Roadrunner is just awesome.

Edited by puddleduck at 09:39:52 05-02-2013
  • Zomoniac 5 Feb 2013 09:46:19 7,785 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    I happen to think Red Dwarf has aged badly, but I appreciate that a lot of people think it hasn't. It still has some classic episodes, but try and get someone to watch it when they weren't very in to it at the time, and they genuniely think you're retarded.
    I'm a bit young to remember it when it first ran, I didn't watch it until about 5 or 6 years ago, but my view was that, although the acting was a bit terrible, some of the dialogue between Lister and Rimmer was genuinely quite funny. Unfortunately someone decided to included the Cat and that robot man as well, who are two of the worst, most pointless characters I've ever seen. Strip them out (especially the Cat) and it might have worked.
  • Popzeus 5 Feb 2013 11:06:56 8,272 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watched Rush Hour at the weekend. That hasn't aged well at all, although the last 20 minutes is still quite good fun.

You can kind of see why Chris Tucker doesn't get much work these days.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• mal 5 Feb 2013 14:43:52 22,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Aged beyond terribly - Blackadder 1.
    I have to disagree, for me The Blackadder has improved over time.
    Goes Forth is potentially the weakest of the 4 series - watch it a few times and you'll spot the overuse of the same formulaic joke structure. Individually I think the episodes can still stand up, but don't watch two in a row...
    I think you can make that claim of all of them though. Edmund tries to get rich, usually via some diabolical scheme, it goes badly wrong, every second line is him using one of his rota of similes to insult the rest of the cast. Repeat. The same joke structure was used throughout all of Blackadder and then recycled and almost carbon copied into The Thin Blue Line.
    Off the top of my head, from Blackadder 2:

"Great Boo's Up!"

"Funny name for a girl, Bob"

"Luckily my willy got in the way"

"Bernard"

And while two of the episodes involve Blackadder trying to raise money (one, to pay off the Bishop of Bath and Wells, and the other to inherit money from his puritanical aunt and uncle), the most common theme in Blackadder 2 is trying to find favour with the queen, but I'll let that pass given the setting.

Three's got a bit more money-grabbing as I remember, but four's mostly about avoiding going over the top. I'd argue it's not as formulaic as you remember.

To be fair though, there's always a very definite pecking order all through Blackadder, and Blackadder's famous for his similies used in retort to Baldrick or another underling. I can imagine getting bored of some of those.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• billythekid 5 Feb 2013 14:56:36 11,012 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    kalel wrote:

http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/mens-superted-fancy-dress-costume-p-8134.html
    http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/unisex-ghostbusters-stay-puft-hooded-onesie-p-9416.html
  • kalel 5 Feb 2013 14:59:39 86,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That is insane.
  • TheSaint 5 Feb 2013 16:20:08 14,198 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With Valentines day round the corner this could be perfect for some bedroom role play:

http://www.truffleshuffle.co.uk/store/mens-count-duckula-fancy-dress-costume-p-4030.html

Edited by TheSaint at 16:20:32 05-02-2013
  • Popzeus 5 Feb 2013 16:40:54 8,272 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Useless without matching Nanny outfit.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• pistol 5 Feb 2013 17:13:19 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Still love New Order. They've gone to shit over the last, oh, decade and a half or so, but most of the old stuff holds up.

Except for the trampoline music vid.
    Loved them for years but agreed their best stuff well behind them.

Was listening to Crystal today.
  • mal 5 Feb 2013 18:28:14 22,332 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Matrix was cliched the first time I saw it in the cinema.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next