Something Sony this way comes Page 8

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• RyanDS 1 Feb 2013 20:21:55 9,433 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fuck me.

I genuinely am starting to dislike Vizzini. This thread for instance I want to see what the actual info is, and there are some great posts and info mixed in there, but they are swamped by arguments.

Why does he not just get the hint and fuck off? 190 posts, and as with every other Sony thread it's 150 posts of argument, with 40 posts of actual info. He's as bad as that Higgins chap with Nintendo.
  • Carlo 1 Feb 2013 20:28:32 18,071 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RyanDS there is no info. There won't be for another 3 weeks (at best).

It's quite possible Sony is trolling... Remember what they did in the run up to the PS3? They made all sorts of announcements, some true, some utterly fabricated...

They all do it!

PSN ID: Djini

• Moot_Point 1 Feb 2013 20:39:56 4,160 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    /goes back to his (kid's) WiiU and PC
    Yeah, yeah...

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• sanctusmortis 1 Feb 2013 20:50:21 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Out of interest: using GDDR5 and not DDR3 makes no sense ata ll. GDDR is for graphics processing - it'd be useless for system tasks, surely?

The info so far, for people trying to keep up:

Definite: Sony have an announcement to make, 20/2/13 at 6pm EST.
    Rumours: It's PS4.
    PS4 is out November US/Jap, Feb 14 EU.
    The controller has no start/select/PS buttons, but instead in the centre of the controller is a Vita-esque touchpad. There's also a "Share" button somewhere on there, that allows you to take screenshots and 15 minutes of video to upload to the internet.
    Sony want to have 8GB of GDDR5 for system memory (see above as to why this makes no sense).
  • richardiox 1 Feb 2013 20:52:30 5,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always felt the initial PS3 announcement was rushed to steal some thunder from the 360. Which is a very canny business move. Whereas back in 05, Microsoft had their machine out - Sony had the luxury to go on stage and say whatever they wanted.

"Next generation doesn't start til we say so"
    "Dual output 1080P @ 60fps"
    "Simultaneous global release date 31 March"
    "Check out this ingame Killzone 2 footage"
    "Cell will control your home"
    "New controller design"
    "Two HDMI ports, six USB"

Literally all of the above, including the release date (it didn't come out til 6 months after the date they committed to and didn't have simultaneous launch), turned out to be bullshit. Total fucking lies.

But it didn't matter - they couldn't be proved wrong as their console was still in development - and they literally tricked a massive part of the gaming audience into thinking the PS3 was in a different league to the 360 and to hold off on buying a 360 as it was already out of date.

Even three years later people who "fell" for that conference couldn't get their head around the fact that the Xbox was outperforming the PS3 in virtually every title. Now, 8 years later some people STILL believe it (hi Viz!). "Because Ken told me it was true"

Emotion Engine, Reality Synthesiser, The CELL, 1080P60...whatever I hear about on the 20th will be taken with a truck load of salt.

Edited by richardiox at 21:06:22 01-02-2013
  • Carlo 1 Feb 2013 21:06:46 18,071 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @richardiox they were not the only ones taking the utter piss out out their customers, to be fair.

Although out of all of them, I'd say Nintendo lie /the least/.

• richardiox 1 Feb 2013 21:12:04 5,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They all lie but I defy you to find me another console announcement where the final product was so far removed from what was shown/promised?
  • Lexx87 1 Feb 2013 21:14:51 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Real Next Gen remember lols

Speak the truth hussy!

• LeoliansBro 1 Feb 2013 21:14:52 44,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @LeoliansBro

I'm still talking about a suggested alternative LAUNCH strategy. Not increase sales now strategy.
    You'll go down a storm at the board meeting. 'Here's your problem, wasn't expensive enough!'

'Also it had too many games and was in too many stores, and too many people heard about it because we spent far too much money advertising it. Idiots!'

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RyanDS 1 Feb 2013 21:17:42 9,433 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    They all lie but I defy you to find me another console announcement where the final product was so far removed from what was shown/promised?
    Was the Wii advertised as having games?
  • richardiox 1 Feb 2013 21:20:41 5,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    richardiox wrote:
    Was the Wii advertised as having games?
    LOLZ
  • Carlo 1 Feb 2013 21:27:27 18,071 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Lol. What was that handheld where the owner crashed his Ferrari or something. What was it called? Ah the Gizmondo!!!

Difficult to quantify one lie being worse than another but do you remember the "zen of gaming" and "1 billion xbox players" from Steve?

Both MS and Sony's biggest lies however (in my book) where the promise of 1080p @ 60 fps. Neither ended up being capable in any decent numbers.

Edited by Carlo at 21:28:02 01-02-2013

Edited by Carlo at 21:30:28 01-02-2013

• Armoured_Bear 1 Feb 2013 23:22:23 11,297 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    I always felt the initial PS3 announcement was rushed to steal some thunder from the 360. Which is a very canny business move. Whereas back in 05, Microsoft had their machine out - Sony had the luxury to go on stage and say whatever they wanted.

"New controller design"

Literally all of the above, including the release date (it didn't come out til 6 months after the date they committed to and didn't have simultaneous launch), turned out to be bullshit. Total fucking lies.

But it didn't matter - they couldn't be proved wrong as their console was still in development - and they literally tricked a massive part of the gaming audience into thinking the PS3 was in a different league to the 360 and to hold off on buying a 360 as it was already out of date.

Even three years later people who "fell" for that conference couldn't get their head around the fact that the Xbox was outperforming the PS3 in virtually every title. Now, 8 years later some people STILL believe it (hi Viz!). "Because Ken told me it was true"

Emotion Engine, Reality Synthesiser, The CELL, 1080P60...whatever I hear about on the 20th will be taken with a truck load of salt.
    Get over yourself FFS, go and get a PS3 and enjoy all the brilliant exclusives that you've missed out in, it's a great machine.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• sanctusmortis 1 Feb 2013 23:34:17 9,631 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's right though; Sony have always lied about capability. Remember their PS2 campaign against the Dreamcast? PS3 was just a repeat of that, the difference being that this time, people called them on it, and their competition was more than a match for them. That's why all this talk of Sony have a GPU 1.5x that of the new Xbox isn't impressive; Sony have a habit of big talk that turns out to be utter garbage.

But, I hope to heck that PS4 is better than PS3. I hope that they learn that uniqueness only goes so far, and creates some serious headaches. I hope that they can play on what they have - an amazing library of exclusives - rather than pretend to have something they do not. They need less smoke and mirrors and more straight play.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Feb 2013 23:38:04 11,297 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    He's right though; Sony have always lied about capability. Remember their PS2 campaign against the Dreamcast? PS3 was just a repeat of that, the difference being that this time, people called them on it, and their competition was more than a match for them. That's why all this talk of Sony have a GPU 1.5x that of the new Xbox isn't impressive; Sony have a habit of big talk that turns out to be utter garbage.

But, I hope to heck that PS4 is better than PS3. I hope that they learn that uniqueness only goes so far, and creates some serious headaches. I hope that they can play on what they have - an amazing library of exclusives - rather than pretend to have something they do not. They need less smoke and mirrors and more straight play.
    The talk of 1.5x the 720 comes from developers wirh both machines not from Sony

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• SpaceDave3000 1 Feb 2013 23:38:31 78,262 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Let him have have The List, ecosse!

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Psychotext 1 Feb 2013 23:42:07 54,301 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Remind us Ecosse.. how long did it take you to get over yourself?

Of course, you're a paragon of virtue and impartiality these days.
  • dsmx 2 Feb 2013 00:14:39 7,619 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most of the things that came out before the PS2 launched were said by the press, sony didn't actually say most of the things people think. True they didn't stop people saying those things, or try to correct them but surely that's not really their job, the press got carried away and sony I get the feeling enjoyed the hype that it created.

Edited by dsmx at 00:18:30 02-02-2013

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• SpaceDave3000 2 Feb 2013 00:18:43 78,262 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The talk of 1.5x the 720 comes from developers wirh both machines not from Sony
    No one at all has said that, and if they did, it'll be the same 'sources' that said the same thing about the Wii U. And Sony haven't said anything yet because it hasn't officially been launched yet.

The rumour consensus is that it's "slightly" faster.

Get over yourself.

Edited by Dirtbox at 00:21:54 02-02-2013

• chopsen 2 Feb 2013 00:19:14 16,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wonder who was feeding the press those tidbits.
  • dsmx 2 Feb 2013 00:23:02 7,619 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah because the press never makes stuff up and jumps to conclusions to get more hits and sell more copies.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• richardiox 2 Feb 2013 00:23:20 5,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    richardiox wrote:

"New controller design"

Get over yourself FFS, go and get a PS3 and enjoy all the brilliant exclusives that you've missed out in, it's a great machine.
    I've had one for years you utter twat, it doesn't make my points above any less valid.

Also fuck you 'Mr multi format'. Everyone knows until a couple of years ago you dismissed any console that wasn't the Wii.

Now you have the fucking audacity to get on your high horse and preach about the breadth of multi format gaming when most of us - myself included - have owned systems from all the manufacturer's since the early 90s and have been pc gaming since then too. You're a joke Ecosse. Get over yourself.

Edited by richardiox at 00:25:24 02-02-2013
  • dsmx 2 Feb 2013 00:28:11 7,619 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But the PS3 was perfectly able to output 1080p60 but few games did it because it just wasn't worth it most developers preferred to nearly half the resolution and frame rate to give people more eye candy rather than more pixels.

• chopsen 2 Feb 2013 00:28:19 16,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    Yeah because the press never makes stuff up and jumps to conclusions to get more hits and sell more copies.
    It's a two-way street, sure. An industry in fact.
  • chopsen 2 Feb 2013 00:29:10 16,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    But the PS3 was perfectly able to output 1080p60 but few games did it because it just wasn't worth it most developers preferred to nearly half the resolution and frame rate to give people more eye candy rather than more pixels.
    1080p60 2D platformers ftw.
  • dsmx 2 Feb 2013 00:31:18 7,619 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Every time I saw one of these insane quotes from back before the PS2 launched and during it's early life I never recall reading a sony representative said such and such, it was always something like this" rumour is Saddam Hussain is buying PS2's for his nuclear weapons program." Then Sony just said, yes it was technically possible. Then it just spread from that.

• Lukus 2 Feb 2013 00:31:23 19,143 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm still not convinced Ecosse owns anything other than a Wii. All this "I have a PS3 and 360 now, I've changed" nonsense is just a ruse.

Edited by Lukus at 05:00:04 02-02-2013

Paintings & Photographs

• SpaceDave3000 2 Feb 2013 00:33:43 78,262 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    God I hope so, it's just impossibly, mind tearingly pathetic to buy all the systems just to claim impartiality.

• richardiox 2 Feb 2013 00:34:51 5,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually think that's why he did though.
  • dsmx 2 Feb 2013 00:37:13 7,619 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's impossible to be totally impartial, as soon as anyone says they are impartial you know they are lying.

• Page

of 16 First / Last