Typecasting Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• AcidSnake 21 Jan 2013 10:44:44 7,268 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ED209 wrote:
    @kalel You do realise that you're coming across as a bit of Simon Quinlank. Anyway we're looking at things from a different perspective. My tolerance limit for anything overly 'intellectual' in movies is set at 'Scheiss dem fenster'.
    "Schiess dem Fenster" hopefully...(Small but important difference)...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Tonka 21 Jan 2013 10:48:51 20,409 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Speaking of typecasting

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• dirtbox28k 21 Jan 2013 11:00:32 29 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's typesetting.
  • kalel 21 Jan 2013 11:07:37 87,627 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ED209 wrote:
    @kalel You do realise that you're coming across as a bit of Simon Quinlank. Anyway we're looking at things from a different perspective. My tolerance limit for anything overly 'intellectual' in movies is set at 'Scheiss dem fenster'.
    I don't really care about what I'm coming across as. I'm actually trying to keep my examples within the realms of middle brow at the most to be frank.
  • Bremenacht 21 Jan 2013 11:15:23 18,242 posts
    Seen 3 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman would be my pick for current top male actor, and has that range from scary (Happiness, Doubt, The Master) to goofy and lovable (Boogie Nights), plus that completely distinctive screen presence that puts him up in the top tier with the real giants.
    Seen him in Twister? Hard to believe it's the same guy.

Totally disagree about the Gary Oldman comment. Yes, he's done a lot of badguys, but even they've been different.

Actually, to make this argument simpler, can we not bother including Brits playing Hollywood baddies, if we're talking about performances or acting quality? If we're still talking typecasting, then sure. Let's add Alan Rickman to the list as well then.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Jan 2013 11:17:00 44,215 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oldman's bad guys either camp it up, chew scenery, or chew scenery while camping it up.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 21 Jan 2013 11:29:14 87,627 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The real typecasting that goes on in Hollywood is more about categories. There was a Louie Theroux about it once (or someone like that) and it was quite amazing. They literally go through piles of actors photos and just go "Leading man romantic, leading man action, best friend of leading man romantic, villain's top henchman villain, femme fetale thriller, period drama leading woman" etc etc.

So actually most of the people we're talking about are typecast, even if they show a good range in their acting.

Edited by kalel at 11:29:25 21-01-2013
  • Tonka 21 Jan 2013 11:31:40 20,409 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dirtbox28k wrote:
    That's typesetting.
    Surely a type hast to be cast before it's set?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• QotSAfan 21 Jan 2013 15:58:38 1,693 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What is the opinion on James McEvoy? I quite like him in all the stuff I have seen. Not sure of his range but he could be amazing in a few years time. His Xavier was the best thing about First Class.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 16:06:05
    QotSAfan wrote:
    What is the opinion on James McEvoy? I quite like him in all the stuff I have seen. Not sure of his range but he could be amazing in a few years time. His Xavier was the best thing about First Class.
    He's okay, but I don't think he'll ever really break out as an A-lister. Last King of Scotland and Atonement were supposed to propel him. Maybe Wanted set him back, though. Isn't Fassbender the current flavour of the month? Now he's managed to properly shake off his Irish accent (seeing Magneto, a German Jew, occasionally slip into a bit of blarney was hilarious) he'll probably start appearing in everything going.
  • sport 21 Jan 2013 16:08:27 12,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fruit is definitely the most typecast EGer.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 16:09:53
    And Alan Rickman gets away with typecasting by sheer virtue that he basically invented the Eurotrash villain. He was nearly canned from Die Hard when producers watched the dailies and thought he was too well-mannered for a bad guy. Most of his best lines in it were adlibbed, apparently.
  • nickthegun 21 Jan 2013 16:13:02 59,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The real typecasting that goes on in Hollywood is more about categories. There was a Louie Theroux about it once (or someone like that) and it was quite amazing. They literally go through piles of actors photos and just go "Leading man romantic, leading man action, best friend of leading man romantic, villain's top henchman villain, femme fetale thriller, period drama leading woman" etc etc.

So actually most of the people we're talking about are typecast, even if they show a good range in their acting.
    I once looked after the production company of quite a famous director and, while sorting out his outlook, accidentally read an email that was, basically this but even more cynical. There were a list of candidates for a part and they were discussing everything from whether their accent or their nose would put off a certain demographic.

Also fassbender was mentioned as Ďso hot right now, even though he may not be right for the part, would bring in the boxí

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• nickthegun 21 Jan 2013 16:16:33 59,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, I was watching McAvoy on Graham Norton the other day and his Scottish accent isnít massively broad, so you wonder when he will get to use it. Even in all the voice overs he does hes never managed to bust it out.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deleted user 21 January 2013 16:24:29
    nickthegun wrote:
    Also, I was watching McAvoy on Graham Norton the other day and his Scottish accent isnít massively broad, so you wonder when he will get to use it. Even in all the voice overs he does hes never managed to bust it out.
    If you ever want weirdness in accents, look at John Barrowman. He can either do massively-camp Californian or massively-heterosexual Glaswegian.

When he cropped up on Zero Dark Thirty I didn't know what to expect.
  • Tom_Servo 21 Jan 2013 22:25:04 17,951 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    meme wrote:
    When he cropped up on Zero Dark Thirty I didn't know what to expect.
    What the fuck :D
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 22:45:22
    It's a very minor one-line role, but still. John Barrowman.
  • Fozzie_bear 21 Jan 2013 22:56:54 15,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Best actors of their generation are louis gossett jr and Dennis quaid.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• onestepfromlost 21 Jan 2013 22:57:22 2,063 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's not a heterosexual Glasgow accent. More a slighty well spoken camp one
  • crashVoodoo 21 Jan 2013 23:48:20 3,907 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Kiefer Sutherland will always be Jack Bauer.
    I always see the dribbling scientist/doctor from Dark City.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• crashVoodoo 21 Jan 2013 23:49:34 3,907 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ED209 wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Kiefer Sutherland will always be Jack Bauer.
    Etc.
    Either you've never seen Dark City or ...
    /slumps over steering wheel.
    perhaps I should've read further ... hmmm

• localnotail 21 Jan 2013 23:56:26 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kiefer Sutherland will always be a Lost Boy to me.
    /shows age

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• crashVoodoo 21 Jan 2013 23:58:13 3,907 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Josh Brolin will always be Mikeys big brother regardless of whatever film he's fucking up next

• ZuluHero 22 Jan 2013 00:01:20 4,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Kiefer Sutherland will always be a Lost Boy to me.
    /shows age
    Yeah me too! Though he doesn't hang out with that boy in the green tights anymore (I hope) ;)

Edited by ZuluHero at 00:01:47 22-01-2013
  • Zomoniac 24 Jan 2013 13:54:22 7,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hugo Weaving managed to do AI-in-charge-of-the-virtual-world, masked vigilante with a dynamite fetish, the elf lord of Rivendell and a drag queen. I still find it all a tad confusing.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Jan 2013 14:00:13 7,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ben Kingsley is a baddie in just about every film he's been in these days. He's just got that look about him.
  • Zomoniac 24 Jan 2013 14:04:00 7,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Ben Kingsley is a baddie in just about every film he's been in these days. He's just got that look about him.
    I still can't quite believe that Gandhi was the Hood.
  • thedaveeyres 24 Jan 2013 14:04:24 11,058 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Best actors of their generation are louis gossett jr and Dennis quaid.
    If only they'd done a film together...

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• lordofthedunce 24 Jan 2013 14:07:55 375 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    And I'll always think of him as Ghandi
  • Page

of 5 First / Last