films that made you cry. Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • mal 20 Jan 2013 13:13:53 22,830 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's very hard to do sadness in games cos it proper fucks up the reward mechanic. Well done on completing that level pepsipop. Your reward is... your mum dies. Congrats!

You can only really do it in cut-scene heavy games I reckon, where the cause of the tragedy is completely encapsulated in a cut-scene you don't control, so it's clearer that it's designed to happen like that, and didn't just happen cos you played badly.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 20 January 2013 13:22:34
    mal wrote:
    It's very hard to do sadness in games cos it proper fucks up the reward mechanic. Well done on completing that level pepsipop. Your reward is... your mum dies. Congrats!

You can only really do it in cut-scene heavy games I reckon, where the cause of the tragedy is completely encapsulated in a cut-scene you don't control, so it's clearer that it's designed to happen like that, and didn't just happen cos you played badly.
    You say it is only possible 'in cut-scene heavy games', but is it?

Imagine for example a 2D platform game where the player gets involved with various tasks, and there's a second likeable/lovable character that's always there, and the player gets used to that other character always being around. Towards the end of the game, that character dies during a task, never to return, leaving the player to complete the game alone, with no partner, that could work on an emotional level. To reach the end alone (because that's the way the story is), when there should have been two, would generate a second sad moment.
  • JoeBlade 20 Jan 2013 15:09:44 2,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @mal I would've agreed but since playing The Walking Dead I can't anymore. That game turns emotional attachment and sadness into core game mechanics and is all the better for it.
    Other games will no doubt follow suit considering the (deserved) positive reception TWD has received.

And agreed on Grave of the Fireflies by the by. It's a flick I'd love to lend to my future ex-wife because it's fantastic but I just can't as it's so incredibly sad.
    In fact, I frequently eye the disc thinking I should watch it again but can't bring myself to actually do so :/
  • Mola_Ram 20 Jan 2013 15:16:47 8,271 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's sad, but also quite beautiful.
  • Razz 20 Jan 2013 15:19:05 61,655 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Wrestler

I bloody loved that film too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Deleted user 20 January 2013 17:50:40
    Lexx87 wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Never heard of this grave of the fireflies
    Same here, but I'm assuming anime so happy to remain that way.
    Sometimes I think you're okay.

Sometimes I think you're a cuntface.

Why are you disregarding all anime ever?
    It was a flippant, none serious comment for fucks sake. I'm not disregarding all anime ever, I've seen some good anime (Ponyo and Spirited Away count, yeah?).
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 18:19:02
    Razz wrote:
    The Wrestler

I bloody loved that film too.
    Good call, I cried.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 18:19:51
    mowgli wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Never heard of this grave of the fireflies
    Same here, but I'm assuming anime so happy to remain that way.
    Sometimes I think you're okay.

Sometimes I think you're a cuntface.

Why are you disregarding all anime ever?
    It was a flippant, none serious comment for fucks sake. I'm not disregarding all anime ever, I've seen some good anime (Ponyo and Spirited Away count, yeah?).
    also mowgli hates japanese people

the racist bastard
  • CosmicFuzz 20 Jan 2013 18:24:54 25,624 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Real Steel gets me every time.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• CosmicFuzz 20 Jan 2013 18:29:59 25,624 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    I remember watching the constant gardener at the pictures and not being able to leave until after the credits because I was crying so much! saw gran turismo at the cinema as well, cried at that halfway through AND at the end.
    I cried when I unlocked A-Spec too.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• mal 20 Jan 2013 18:37:10 22,830 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    @mal I would've agreed but since playing The Walking Dead I can't anymore. That game turns emotional attachment and sadness into core game mechanics and is all the better for it.
    Other games will no doubt follow suit considering the (deserved) positive reception TWD has received.
    Interesting, I might have to give that a go if they ever get round to releasing it on a platform I can access, in spite of my allergic tendencies towards Telltake games.

Another example that occurred to me is that old chestnut, Shadows of the Colossus, in which the defeat of each boss is at best ambivalent (in that the script tells you you're doing good but the production says otherwise). Also I guess the game language tells you you're doing it right - each colossus is designed as a puzzle, and it's obvious that you're completing them as you should. And then you have to take a fair optimistic view of things to consider the ending to be positive.

I must admit, first time I completed SotC I felt a bit flat. Guess it's lucky the gameplay itself is so epic.

@blacksea Remind me to never read or watch any stories you write ;)

• jagg3r 20 Jan 2013 18:41:11 1,057 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The road

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_(2009_film)
  • Syrette 20 Jan 2013 18:42:32 44,213 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mal wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Interesting, I might have to give that a go if they ever get round to releasing it on a platform I can access, in spite of my allergic tendencies towards Telltake games.
    Isn't it out on every platform except the handhelds and Android?

• mal 20 Jan 2013 19:10:04 22,830 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    mal wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    @mal I would've agreed but since playing The Walking Dead I can't anymore.
    Isn't it out on every platform except the handhelds and Android?
    Pretty much, except (unless I'm mistaken) there's been no retail release on 360 in Europe.

Edit: In the spirit of the thread, Watership Down always gets me a bit teary, as does, um, Muriel's Wedding. Grave of the Fireflies is definitely a downer, and I've not built up the courage to watch it a second time yet, but that didn't get me last time I watched it.

Edited by mal at 19:16:38 20-01-2013

• -cerberus- 6 Feb 2013 01:58:17 3,620 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Didn't cry but I admittedly got a little choked up at one or several points during: Alien│, Edward Scissorhands, Donnie Darko and Un Long Dimanche de Fianšailles. All four happen to be my all-time favourite movies.

Edited by -cerberus- at 01:59:19 06-02-2013

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Lexx87 6 Feb 2013 08:01:02 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The green mile, shawshank redemption,

Speak the truth hussy!

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next