Failure is genius? Genius is failure.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • JinTypeNoir 19 Jan 2013 06:01:05 4,382 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you click this link, you will see a robot (made out of cardboard and lightbulbs) explain how failure states could possibly be an asset of game design in exposing meaning and one thing that links games artistically to other mediums. It's rather fascinating.

I find this explanation of the writer's opinion on the old "Are games art?" a lot more critically sound than most. It avoids all the argument cliches you usually see repeated in these discussions and says something new about the issue. (Okay, THAT game shows up, but doesn't it always when this argument comes up? And it doesn't show up for the reason you might think it does. Better yet, it is not a rejection of games melding other mediums into them. For instance, I'm really sick of the "death to cutscenes" crowd who demand every moment of a game be interactive to the same extent.

Give it a look, its worth the 10 minute run time. In fact, the show is really quite cool if you like thinking about these things.
  • morriss 19 Jan 2013 08:29:39 70,947 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's a "crowd"
  • Fozzie_bear 19 Jan 2013 08:37:46 15,501 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    If you click this link, you will see a robot (made out of cardboard and lightbulbs) explain how failure states could possibly be an asset of game design in exposing meaning and one thing that links games artistically to other mediums. It's rather fascinating.

I find this explanation of the writer's opinion on the old "Are games art?" a lot more critically sound than most. It avoids all the argument cliches you usually see repeated in these discussions and says something new about the issue. (Okay, THAT game shows up, but doesn't it always when this argument comes up? And it doesn't show up for the reason you might think it does. Better yet, it is not a rejection of games melding other mediums into them. For instance, I'm really sick of the "death to cutscenes" crowd who demand every moment of a game be interactive to the same extent.

Give it a look, its worth the 10 minute run time. In fact, the show is really quite cool if you like thinking about these things.
    ts;dr

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Madder-Max 19 Jan 2013 08:59:38 11,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do the death to the cutscene 'crowd' make you incandescent with rage perchance?

99 problems and being ginger is one

• L0cky 19 Jan 2013 10:26:10 1,521 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, to put the argument into the same context as the video...

Cutscenes fuck with the pacing.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next