HMV set to enter administration Page 13

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• Deleted user 17 January 2013 08:13:15
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    rudedudejude wrote:
    Interesting streaming article. Since being a paid sub I've barely bought any music except some rare vinyl, haven't had the need with a sub. That and soundcloud cover my listening needs but given the pittance they get I might think twice! Quite shocking.

Maybe they should be transparent with their royalties to artists, I guess it varies a lot but those numbers are shocking.
    Yeah. The end about what he says about Spotify being about capital is really true, and reflective of what things are like today.

The issue that I have with this adapt or die mentality is that some bands won't adapt. And they'll die. Bands that release lush albums but don't like to gig. Someone like early belle and Sebastian. You know, it limits choice. Some bands might be amazing live, and their records be just kind o promotional material for their live gigs, but some bands don't want to do that. They want to release records. If HMV/FOPP goes where will people buy these records? I really hope that their demise causes loads of independents to spring up, but I don't think it will.
    The Internet makes it easier to find these things. The existence of the physical media and stores has a minimal effect on people finding them.

This isn't some romanticised view of the world you've got from watching High Fidelity on repeat, it's the reality. To criticise an industry for bands touring to make more money is bizzare, it has happened for decades and is easier now than it has been for decades for them to get a gig.

It doesn't limit choice, it does the exact opposite. The Spotify thing is irrelevant, if an artist isn't making enough from it then the service will die eventually, it's also a relatively small market share that it has so, again, not all that important.
  • FWB 17 Jan 2013 08:21:44 44,839 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Whether you think "adapt or die" is right or wrong is irrelevant. It is what bands need to do. They have no choice.
  • warlockuk 17 Jan 2013 08:59:41 19,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hopefully Fopp'll stay active - those guys actually make money and have a much nicer vibe instore than HMV.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• ED209 17 Jan 2013 09:14:09 505 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    He's one of Galaxie 500. 'Hack' is not a word I would associate with him. Galaxie 500!
    Ooh this made up word game looks fun- My Astronought 10,000 trumps your Galaxie 500. You've sunk my battleship! lol. Play again?

Samantha Janus?

• Moot_Point 17 Jan 2013 09:19:31 4,348 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There is still a chance for HMV. Article.

Ed: Sorry, but that site needs an e-mail to see the story. But its the only one that has anything positive to say at this moment.

Edited by Moot_Point at 09:20:48 17-01-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• ED209 17 Jan 2013 09:33:04 505 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    There is still a chance for HMV. Article.

Ed: Sorry, but that site needs an e-mail to see the story. But its the only one that has anything positive to say at this moment.
    What a fucking buzz kill man. not read the whole thread but everyone here wants them to die/lose their jobs. It's a common fact that societies function more efficiently if we exterminate roles that involve charging 70 quid for HDMI cables. I may have my examples confused, but the economic theory is sound.

Samantha Janus?

• Deleted user 17 January 2013 09:40:09
    Oh dear..
  • Moot_Point 17 Jan 2013 09:51:25 4,348 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ED209 Sorry for hurting your high moral standards, but there are people who are relying on their job in the current economic climate. It's not like they could rely on benefits to be there to help them, because of the recent changes to who is eligible through government cuts.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• dufftownallan 17 Jan 2013 10:03:18 4,725 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    richie; my major beef with with the 'traditional' distribution model is with how much he record industry has taken the piss. they have robbed both consumers and artists blind for decades now and although I fully understand their role in the whole machine, they have been grossly over compensated for that role.

if/when I download music I feel incredibly bad for the artist who will miss out on the 5% (if it's even anywhere near that figure) of the money I would have spent on that album, but i don't give one flying fuck about the 95% that would have gone into the soulless, outdated dinosaur of the music industry.

the internet opens up the possibility of artist and consumers interacting directly without a third party benifitting from the talent. wasn't there someone who had her album funded by kickstarter or something? it can only be a good thing. the world has changed, stop lamenting the past.
  • neilqpr 17 Jan 2013 12:27:07 2,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    neilqpr wrote:
    HMV Ireland gone as of ten minutes ago according to their twitter account.
    Only went shopping there on Sunday. They were actually the cheapest highstreet retailer here compared to the rest, by far best bluray selection, and the staff always friendly and polite.

Guess I have to start ordering stuff on the web now and wait a week every time until I can play/watch it:(
    Yep Ireland really has suffered the worst from HMV/Game problems. On the high street we're now left with GameStop and Smyths, and Xtravision on a more local level. Liffey Valley would be the nearest shopping centre to my work and I would have bought a lot of games there. With both HMV and Game gone there is now nowhere to buy games off the shelf.

Also HMV were responsible for most games releasing at 45, I fully expect that price to creep up now.
  • SYS64738 17 Jan 2013 14:32:51 1,687 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    SYS64738 wrote:
    neilqpr wrote:
    Only went shopping there on Sunday. They were actually the cheapest highstreet retailer here compared to the rest, by far best bluray selection, and the staff always friendly and polite.

Guess I have to start ordering stuff on the web now and wait a week every time until I can play/watch it:(
    Yep Ireland really has suffered the worst from HMV/Game problems. On the high street we're now left with GameStop and Smyths, and Xtravision on a more local level. Liffey Valley would be the nearest shopping centre to my work and I would have bought a lot of games there. With both HMV and Game gone there is now nowhere to buy games off the shelf.

Also HMV were responsible for most games releasing at €45, I fully expect that price to creep up now.
    Indeed, when far cry 3 was released HMV sold it for 47eur i think, but it was sold out. Gamestop sold it for 60 or even more cant remember, smyths for 56 which I went for in the end simply because I wanted the game then and there.

My bigger concern is more about Blurays though. I liked HMVs buy 5 for x amount offers from a reasonable selection, and I'd buy in bulk. And can watch them straight away. If I buy several discs online they might not even fit through the mailbox, so would have to collect them during inconvenient hours. First world problems I know but still.

And if Xtravision goes bust thats it... netflix is shite and lovefilm isnt available here. Plus I dont like their streaming quality, and tend to get throttled by my ISP after heavy use.

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• Deleted user 17 January 2013 14:40:02
    Use amazon like a normal person? :)
  • chopsen 17 Jan 2013 14:44:13 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do amazon fit a large postbox?
  • Dougs 17 Jan 2013 14:47:02 68,429 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Change ISP, sub to Unblock US, buy the odd one online, sorted.
  • chopsen 17 Jan 2013 14:48:47 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Netflix is good for TV series but the film selection is a bit shit, to be fair.
  • psychokitten Moderator 17 Jan 2013 15:54:04 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    Liffey Valley would be the nearest shopping centre to my work and I would have bought a lot of games there. With both HMV and Game gone there is now nowhere to buy games off the shelf.
    Why didn't I know this? Mandatory coffee meet up one of these days!

I'm in the same boat. Liffey Valley is on my way home, now there's nowhere in the center to get games.
  • psychokitten Moderator 17 Jan 2013 16:12:14 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Neither am I :p
  • neilqpr 17 Jan 2013 16:52:48 2,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We can meet up and give out about the Irish, in Ireland.

All this just means I'll continue to buy most of my games through gamesnash. And SYS64738 check out https://www.parcelmotel.com/ - I don't know where you live, but that could help you out.
  • ED209 17 Jan 2013 17:50:15 505 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    neilqpr wrote:
    SYS64738 wrote:
    neilqpr wrote:

Also HMV were responsible for most games releasing at 45, I fully expect that price to creep up now.
    Indeed, when far cry 3 was released HMV sold it for 47eur i think, but it was sold out. Gamestop sold it for 60 or even more cant remember, smyths for 56 which I went for in the end simply because I wanted the game then and there.

My bigger concern is more about Blurays though. I liked HMVs buy 5 for x amount offers from a reasonable selection, and I'd buy in bulk. And can watch them straight away. If I buy several discs online they might not even fit through the mailbox, so would have to collect them during inconvenient hours. First world problems I know but still.

And if Xtravision goes bust thats it... netflix is shite and lovefilm isnt available here. Plus I dont like their streaming quality, and tend to get throttled by my ISP after heavy use.
    Is it cool to post a First world problems meme response even if the OP acknowledged it beforehand? because that's got to be the best representation I've ever seen! "Oh won't someone think of my overwhelmed male slot, it just hasn't got the girth to accommodate multiple dics from Blackbustas." Pics or it didn't happen. Even the most cockhanded male man understands how to efficiently deposit one's load into a particularly congested crevasse. Other wise he'd have to carry it around in his male bag all day (or empty it into a n ear canal).

Please excuse any typos in this post. I've been masterbating furiously at the foul imagery concockted by my malfunctioning T9.

Samantha Janus?

• SYS64738 17 Jan 2013 20:31:54 1,687 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @neilqpr

I live close to the Grand Canal Dock area, the next AnPost collection point isn't all that far, I'm just a really lazy cunt!

@ED209

Ok so maybe (just maybe) I exaggerated and rambled on a bit earlier. But I live in a large-ish apartment block and the mailbox in the lobby is tiny. One small package and it's full. And leaving the package outside the mailbox is asking for having it nicked. But glad my rant got you excited and hope it ended with a happy ending!

I obviously bought stuff online before, but happen to run into problems more often than not - maybe I'm just unlucky (not being Irish could have something to do with that who knows). DHL once delivered an incorrectly labelled package from the US to Japan, then via Germany to the West of Ireland where it was stuck at customs for a week alone, after 4 weeks I finally received it, but only because I took half a day off otherwise I would've had to pick it up in their collection center which is in the middle of nowhere, and I don't have a car.

The national post service can sometimes be awfully slow. What you UK guys are used to, like next day delivery etc., forget it here, even basic mail sent from addresses literally a few hundred meters away can take days, 99% of shipments come from abroad so will take at least a week.

Then you have the likes of Amazon who refuse to ship certain goods to Ireland (but don't have an Irish site either that I could use). Actually happened to me just before Christmas last year.

So yes, I will have to order more online now, but it's just not as convenient as walking down to HMV (about half an hour away on foot) and stocking up on some goods.

Edited by SYS64738 at 20:33:11 17-01-2013

• neilqpr 17 Jan 2013 21:08:44 2,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @SYS64738 Pretty sure there is one of those Parcel Motels in Grand Canal dock, I remember walking past it at some point.

Yep just checked, there is one outside the Spar on Hanover Quay.
  • SYS64738 17 Jan 2013 21:18:33 1,687 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @neilqpr

Interesting, never noticed or even heard of them. Thanks for the info will check it out.

• Deleted user 17 January 2013 21:29:54
    Chopsen wrote:
    Not if you use the american version, that should cover 80-90% of what you want and then D/L the rest from other places works.

Since I moved into a flat with the smallest postbox ever (that I can't change) I've had to switch to digital only. It took a few weeks of getting used to it but it wasn't long before I stopped caring about how I was getting things.
  • ED209 17 Jan 2013 21:37:12 505 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:

@ED209

Ok so maybe (just maybe) I exaggerated and rambled on a bit earlier. But I live in a large-ish apartment block and the mailbox in the lobby is tiny. One small package and it's full. ....But glad my rant got you excited and hope it ended with a happy ending!

Ok so you had the one exception that I never thought about. This is literally the first time I've ever been wrong in the Internet. My world is literally crumbling around me. Literally.

And I was hanging on until your comment about having one small full package put me over the edge. That and the detailed commentary on the logistics of Ireland's inferior postal system.

"99% of shipments come...from...A...BROAD."

/spurt

Samantha Janus?

• chopsen 17 Jan 2013 21:38:09 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was talking about the US one, which I use. If you want a specific film it is a lottery, with the odds stacked against you. Anything recent, no chance. If you just want to watch *something* then yeah you could probably find something to engage your brain. And like I said, it's great for TV series (except HBO, natch).

So while it's good for some things, it's not the definitive solution. I suspect the elephant in the room is piracy, in that a lot of the people who use netfix supplement it with yarrrr recent releases, but maybe I'm jumping to conclusions there ;)

Edited by Chopsen at 21:38:40 17-01-2013
  • SYS64738 17 Jan 2013 21:42:50 1,687 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Chopsen wrote:
    Not if you use the american version, that should cover 80-90% of what you want and then D/L the rest from other places works.

Since I moved into a flat with the smallest postbox ever (that I can't change) I've had to switch to digital only. It took a few weeks of getting used to it but it wasn't long before I stopped caring about how I was getting things.
    I tried Netflix before, my problem wasn't so much the offerings but the streaming quality. I'm on a 30MB line but after watching a couple of movies and a dozen TV episodes the picture quality became horrendously low res, worse than SD TV, sometimes even froze up completely. Got the impression that my ISP throttled the connection or I simply hit the download limit.

• Deleted user 17 January 2013 21:47:18
    Chopsen wrote:
    I was talking about the US one, which I use. If you want a specific film it is a lottery, with the odds stacked against you. Anything recent, no chance. If you just want to watch *something* then yeah you could probably find something to engage your brain. And like I said, it's great for TV series (except HBO, natch).

So while it's good for some things, it's not the definitive solution. I suspect the elephant in the room is piracy, in that a lot of the people who use netfix supplement it with yarrrr recent releases, but maybe I'm jumping to conclusions there ;)
    Sure. I use a combination of that, iTunes and piracy (where the others let me down). I'm sure in time either it, or whatever comes along next that improves on it, will all but kill physical media in this country.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2013 21:48:05
    Might take a while given the current standard of streaming is sub DVD.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last