The state of gaming Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• bad09 9 Jan 2013 12:23:30 5,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know to fair there is a lot wrong with gaming but there is also more choice and on certain platforms insane pricing to make up for a lot of it.

When I look at account gaming, DRM in general, DLC, pre-order and retailer DLC, a focus on multiplayer and online play, my favourite games being butchered in terrible sequels designed to entice people who weren't even interested in the first place, the fact I now pay more for my CDs and DVDs as I think gaming has devalued massively because of the above I do think it's all gone to shit....

...but then I pay a couple of quid for a game and think "fuck it it's cheap" and gaming doesn't seem in that bad a state anymore :)
  • Zizoo 9 Jan 2013 12:23:59 8,111 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    =/
  • Elathron 9 Jan 2013 12:51:02 1,189 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    I don't know to fair there is a lot wrong with gaming but there is also more choice and on certain platforms insane pricing to make up for a lot of it.

When I look at account gaming, DRM in general, DLC, pre-order and retailer DLC, a focus on multiplayer and online play, my favourite games being butchered in terrible sequels designed to entice people who weren't even interested in the first place, the fact I now pay more for my CDs and DVDs as I think gaming has devalued massively because of the above I do think it's all gone to shit....

...but then I pay a couple of quid for a game and think "fuck it it's cheap" and gaming doesn't seem in that bad a state anymore :)
    This +1. Also, a focus on patching rather than releasing polished games is getting irksome. There're some refreshing titles out there, but for the most part it's a regurgitation of previous releases that get thrown in our direction.

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 13:12:54
    In every other generation I've had two or more systems/platforms that provided me with great gaming content in amongst the cross platform mixed bag(last gen was GC/DS, PS2/PSP, PC).

Before that (PC, PS1, N64, GBA), then it was (PC, Amiga, ST, SNES, Mega drive, Atari Lynx, game gear), and previous to that(Spectrum, C64, master system, NES, atari)

This generation I owned the Wii for 18months, and a 360 for about 9, I've always had a reasonably capable PC and got a decent enough one now(kepler, i7 3820, SSD), but I just haven't found enough refinement on the other systems to compete for my times, for me to see them in the way I have second and third platforms in the past. My over reliance on PS3/Vita for content makes feel I'm needing something different from gaming.

The WiiU isn't what I hoped for, and 3DS is too expensive to be a second handheld for me, even though I'd play some of those games and enjoy them. I'll probably buy them eventually to try and satisfy that second platform slot. Where most people will use tablet and phone gaming to top up, I just have no desire to switch either on for that.

To sum up, gaming has been in a glass half empty state(for me) since I sold my Wii for being an underpowered cash grab by Nintendo for the masses.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 13:14:58 43,227 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's going to get a lot worse for you when Sony announce the PS4 and it isn't 10 times the PS3. And doesn't use the Cell.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 9 Jan 2013 13:17:38 58,784 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It will use the cell alright. A padded one to put people like vizzini into.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 9 January 2013 13:17:56
    @LeoliansBro

If that happens, I'll just buy a WiiU and play my Vita in a bubble, until gaming gives me something more than a tiny difference between VGA → WXGA
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 13:20:37 53,808 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is going to sound a bit strange... but I can't help feeling that it's all a bit too throwaway right now. I feel a bit like I remember friends of mine being in uni. They had pretty much every PS1 game pirated... and as such played pretty much nothing or spent 5 minutes on a game without ever touching it again.

Now thanks (mostly) to Steam and XBLA I think I'm the same way. My steam catalogue amounts to about 190 games. My XBLA catalogue amounts to about 150 games... and I can't be arsed playing anything. Or at least certainly not to the extent that I did at the start of the gen when I was an ardent completionist; sucking the meat from the bones of every game I had.

It's probably just because I'm old, but I suspect that having access to such a ridiculously large number of games for fuck all (mobile makes this worse) makes me feel that there's actually little value in any of them.
  • morriss 9 Jan 2013 13:22:18 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Games arent very good on the whole, no.
  • quadfather 9 Jan 2013 13:27:16 11,826 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    This is going to sound a bit strange... but I can't help feeling that it's all a bit too throwaway right now. I feel a bit like I remember friends of mine being in uni. They had pretty much every PS1 game pirated... and as such played pretty much nothing or spent 5 minutes on a game without ever touching it again.

Now thanks (mostly) to Steam and XBLA I think I'm the same way. My steam catalogue amounts to about 190 games. My XBLA catalogue amounts to about 150 games... and I can't be arsed playing anything. Or at least certainly not to the extent that I did at the start of the gen when I was an ardent completionist; sucking the meat from the bones of every game I had.

It's probably just because I'm old, but I suspect that having access to such a ridiculously large number of games for fuck all (mobile makes this worse) makes me feel that there's actually little value in any of them.
    +50 - couldn't have said it better myself. I often sit at the PC, have a look at everything and then end up browsing or doing something else. Seems to take a lot of energy to actually fully engage in a game nowadays. And that's once I've chosen which fucking one to play.

Latest example - I was watching the video to Chivalry medieval warfare and waited for the steam sale and promptly bought it. Installed it, did the single player training thing, then someone knocked on the door. Turned the pc off and attended to the door.

That was around Christmas, and I still haven't loaded it back up yet.

Same with a slew of other games too - can't be arsed half the time - they just don't grip me as much as they used to

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• ronuds 9 Jan 2013 13:42:31 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the biggest change games have gone through since the 70s is that they're so mainstream now, which means people are going to try and make big money. That doesn't mean the games are worse, though, in fact I feel it's very much the opposite. I don't know how many remember this far back, but the Atari 2600 had a lot of shit made for it... same with just about every console ever made between then and now.

The expectations these days are ridiculous. We want it all and we want it now and we want it for free and we're not going to stand for any less!
  • bad09 9 Jan 2013 13:52:24 5,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    The expectations these days are ridiculous. We want it all and we want it now and we want it for free and we're not going to stand for any less!
    I don't buy that, that's like the whole "gamers are entitled" crap just because we speak out against stuff. It's an easy brush off to ignore things.

Expectations are high because hype and slime PR BUILD those expectations to ridiculous levels, we don't want it now we just have to wait through years of drip drip hype and slime PR, we don't want it free just at a reasonable price and not to be ripped off.
  • ronuds 9 Jan 2013 13:57:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, in fairness the internet has brought about a grumpiness that you'd never see back in the day, simply because the outlet wasn't available.

I can't remember anyone complaining even 1/1 billionth as much as we do now, though. I agree that some of that is due to hype, but I think a lot is due to entitlement as well. People in general seem to feel more entitled today than they ever have... not that that's necessarily a bad thing. We deserve stuff!
  • bad09 9 Jan 2013 14:03:35 5,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    See I don't see it as entitled just that the internet have given consumers a voice they never had. Also Gamers were generally children back then we've all grown up so the childish and misleading way they sold games doesn't really work on a lot of us now.

Also "entitled" is being thrown around too much, the rather nice "petition" put together to ask Valve for any info on HL3 from fans simply eager for more was seen as "entitled". Now I'm not saying there are not people out there entitled I've seen petitions for new game covers, changed endings all sorts of nonsense but I think many dismiss real concern as simply entitlement.

There probably is more complaining but personally I think we do have a lot more to complain about these days but obviously that does depend on opinion and it changes from game to game every devs will always piss some off for whatever reason.

Edited by bad09 at 14:17:49 09-01-2013
  • ronuds 9 Jan 2013 14:15:02 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like I say, being entitled isn't altogether a bad thing. We pay a lot of money and give these people jobs - we deserve a voice and they should want to hear it. Otherwise, they're working in a vacuum.

I don't see a petition for information a negative entitlement, unless the lack of such causes some sort of audacious uproar.

An example of negative entitlement would be the fervor over Alan Wake not being in native 720p or uproar over the ME3 ending. Stuff like that is embarrassing for everyone involved, imo.
  • bad09 9 Jan 2013 14:20:44 5,623 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I think we are in agreement there but then some devs make their own beds. Look at Bioware as an example they react to the stupidest complaints yet ignore the simple ones. Want perfectly reasonable pad support in a multiplatform game? "fuck off we 'ain't got time". Don't like our ending? "Right we'll make you a new one, sorry, sorry, sorry". It's stupid.
  • MetalDog 9 Jan 2013 14:22:11 23,708 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Being annoyed by the ME3 ending and being vocal about it - fair enough.

Attempting to demand that they change the ME3 ending to please you - bratty, awful, childish, entitled behaviour.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• kalel 9 Jan 2013 14:23:39 86,338 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's the difference between a genuine entitlement and a false sense of entitlement.

Not sure what all this "negative entitlement" thing is about.
  • ronuds 9 Jan 2013 14:26:18 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I apologize for failing to use the appropriate phrase.
  • disusedgenius 9 Jan 2013 14:29:31 5,210 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    Look at Bioware as an example they react to the stupidest complaints yet ignore the simple ones.
    I think this is probably as much to do with the internet having all the information and all the ignorance. I'm pretty sure that anyone who's an expert in any field will facepalm at the majority of what the useless, sweaty masses think is 'simple', let alone their solutions.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 14:40:04
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    It's going to get a lot worse for you when Sony announce the PS4 and it isn't 10 times the PS3. And doesn't use the Cell.
    edit: think-ing a bit more about your off topic comment. (wasn't ment to sound rude)

Moore's law is the observation that over the history of computing hardware, the number of transistors on integrated circuits doubles approximately every two years. The period often quoted as "18 months" is due to Intel executive David House, who predicted that period for a doubling in chip performance (being a combination of the effect of more transistors and their being faster)

….

The capabilities of many digital electronic devices are strongly linked to Moore's law: processing speed, memory capacity, sensors and even the number and size of pixels in digital cameras.[7] All of these are improving at (roughly) exponential rates as well
    ….

This trend has continued for more than half a century. Sources in 2005 expected it to continue until at least 2015 or 2020.[note 1][12] However, the 2010 update to the International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors has growth slowing at the end of 2013,[13] after which time transistor counts and densities are to double only every three years.

The PS3 released in November 2006, and even if a tracking moore's law every 2years(with Cell BE processors) for a PS4, if it had released last year November 2012(6 years later)

Doubled in 2008(Cell Be 2 was 3x times), Doubled again in 2010, Doubled again 2012
    2x, 2x, 2x = 8x moore powerful(:))

Assuming the PS4 doesn't release until late this year (7years later), a 10x gain seems quite likely, does it not?

Edited by vizzini at 14:43:25 09-01-2013
  • sport 9 Jan 2013 14:44:00 12,544 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CHECK....MATE!
  • Buztafen 9 Jan 2013 14:49:50 16,064 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Awesome! This thread should keep me entertained till 5. Cheers vizzini! :)
  • twelveways 9 Jan 2013 14:56:20 3,846 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got bored of games about 5 years ago and just stopped playing them (apart from a bit of occasional Civ and FIFA with mates) but the innovations in recent gaming are really getting my thumbs twitching again...
  • Psychotext 9 Jan 2013 16:16:30 53,808 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dear god vizzini, are you ever going to stop soiling yourself in such a public manner?
  • Widge Moderator 9 Jan 2013 16:22:32 13,259 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Choice will whittle down eventually... there was a time when consoles from Commodore, Atari, 3DO, Sega, Nintendo were all sitting on the shelves.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• ResidentKnievel 9 Jan 2013 16:26:01 6,115 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vizzini, what do you think of the Wii U?

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• neilka 9 Jan 2013 17:11:58 15,653 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oh god no
  • Deleted user 9 January 2013 17:49:29
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    Vizzini, what do you think of the Wii U?
    @ResidentKnievel

It is hard to say at this point.

I'm not a fan of the unique selling pitch, and the hardware is as a primary console is diabolical. The price is too high(even factoring in the tablet), and the storage solution seems to defeat the power conscious design of the system. The insistence of calling it a Wii and sticking with Wiimotes are equally unwelcome.

However, when proper games from Nintendo arrive, I'll be in line to buy a premium at £150, and probably feel much better about my gaming for it.

In a nutshell the hardware is plenty good enough for Nintendo to build some great exclusives to supplement another next-gen platform.

Edited by vizzini at 17:51:14 09-01-2013
  • Page

of 3 First / Last