• Page

of 10 First / Last

• spamdangled 27 Dec 2012 08:16:07 27,413 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Mangled internetisms are probably higher on the hit list
    Give examples. Best go on the list.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• dominalien 27 Dec 2012 08:18:00 7,021 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Cilantro is Spanish.
    I know, but Americans don't speak Spanish do they?

(and yes, I am being pedantic/generalising and am aware of the USA's origins as an immigration hotpot)
    Hm, are you sure about that? As far as I can tell tell, the Western states are practically bi-lingual.

PSN: DonOsito

• nickthegun 27 Dec 2012 08:19:25 60,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok:

Americanisms that deserve to die with fire

And, while I'm on the subject, people who say lol in real life.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• spamdangled 27 Dec 2012 08:24:37 27,413 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ok:

Cheeky shit on your first point.

Is that specifically an American thing? on the second.

I was originally intending on including it (along with others like YOLO, ROFL, etc but wasn't sure of their origins).

What about "Bear With" instead of "bear with me"?

Edited by darkmorgado at 08:31:37 27-12-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LeoliansBro 27 Dec 2012 08:24:58 44,512 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    'Americans don't speak Spanish' squeaks in at the death for the 2012 Culturally Insensitive Award for Ignorance.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• dominalien 27 Dec 2012 08:26:30 7,021 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bear with is incorrect?

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 27 December 2012 08:27:27
    @darkmorgado You are the rantiest person on this forum.
  • spamdangled 27 Dec 2012 08:30:42 27,413 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    'Americans don't speak Spanish' squeaks in at the death for the 2012 Culturally Insensitive Award for Ignorance.
    Hello captain pedantry! Merry, erm, day after boxing day.

I was talking in general as the official language of the country, I'm not so stupid that I am unaware of the huge latino population.

But by the same yardstick, a similar "things that piss me off about UK slang" would ignore the fact we have a massive muslim population.

I'm talking, basically, about dominant lingual culture (or at least what is dominant in terms of overseas exposure to it)

Edited by darkmorgado at 08:32:48 27-12-2012

• spamdangled 27 Dec 2012 08:31:11 27,413 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Bear with is incorrect?
    Corrected my post to clarify

• elstoof 27 Dec 2012 08:34:19 7,760 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You need to take a long look in the meeror dark, and swap out some of this pent up hate.
  • spamdangled 27 Dec 2012 08:36:29 27,413 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @elstoof

You do realise that nearly everything I post/write is done in jest and not meant to be taken deadpan, right?

Especially my rants.

If not then I might need to add a disclaimer to my signature.

By the way, what is a meeror? Sounds like something uttered by a dyslexic donkey*

*See? That's an example

Edited by darkmorgado at 08:37:09 27-12-2012

Edited by darkmorgado at 08:38:48 27-12-2012

• elstoof 27 Dec 2012 08:38:43 7,760 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you missed the two americanisms in my post with the autodefence there big boy.
  • spamdangled 27 Dec 2012 08:40:02 27,413 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I think you missed the two americanisms in my post with the autodefence there big boy.
    Swapping out and pent-up? Wasn't aware of those really, always considered them universal.

• elstoof 27 Dec 2012 08:42:38 7,760 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You've never heard an American say mirror? It's pronounced with at least 8 e's and one r.
  • nickthegun 27 Dec 2012 09:06:04 60,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ok:

Cheeky shit on your first point.
    Lovely correctness on my first point. If you are going to do something along the lines of '..how about those airline peanuts, eh?' at least get it right.

Its 'die in a fire'. 'Die with fire' is not only grammatically horrific, its not the meme you were looking for.

Merry Christmas.

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Dec 2012 09:10:06 610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "route" -> "rout" (pronunciation not spelling), "Off of" Pretty sure there's more I hate, but they don't spring immediately to mind (annoyingly the "off of" seems to be spreading, even heard it in the Dr Who Xmas special this year from their victorian girl...) I also agree with everyone who despises "I could care less" as it removes any meaning whatsoever from the exclamation.

As for pronunciation, ask an American to pronounce the following two words, 'buoy' and 'buoyant', they will generally get teh second oen correct and then despite the first being based off the stem fo the second verb, give you a lovely, 'Booee?' The first time I heard an American friend use it I honestly thought he was taking the piss.

I'll ignore the obvious "Zee" instead of "Zed" and subsequent 'zEEbra"... Following is an actual quote on the topic: "It can't be zebra (our pronunciation) as it begins with "zee", "Zeebra"" Cue explaining how "zee" was wrong too pointing out many languages pronunciation of it including the originating zeta.
  • nickthegun 27 Dec 2012 09:12:33 60,506 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Almost all of the things people complain about originally came from us. Like 'Route' and 'Router'.

I was talking to a welsh IT guy the other day and he said Router as you would expect an american to do. This stuff didnt happen out of thin air, it happened for a reason.

HATE AMERICANISMS, HATE THYSELF.

• Deleted user 27 December 2012 09:18:17
    darkmorgado wrote:
    1) Pronouncing "leisure" as "leesure"

2) Dropping the H when they say "Herbs"

3) Pronouncing OregAno as "OregEno"

2) Calling a tap a faucet.

3) Calling Autumn "Fall".

4) Using Cups as ingredient measurements instead of metric measurements. What the fuck is a "cup"? I have lots of cups, of many different sizes.

5) "Holiday Season"

6) Replacing "addictive" with "addicting" - this alone will make me want to punch someone in the face.

7) The most irritating employment trend ever - business jargon. "Action-item list" springs to mind.

8)The seeming inability to comprehend silent vowels, leading to the mass culling of the letter U from their bastardised version of English.

9) The seeming inability to comprehend that the letter S in a word can be pronounced as a hard or soft consanant and the subsequent replacement of S with Z in American spelling.

10)Calling English people "Brits", ignoring the fact that the UK consists of 4 different fucking countries.

11) Lumping every EU country's population into the blanket term "European".

12) The propensity of the use of the word "liberal" as a pejorative.

13) Stupid fucking names for food ingredients when perfectly good English words exist. Rocket is Arugula, Coriander is Cilantro, etc.

14) The annoying and frequently confusing way they have fucked up cooking terminology by swapping BBQ and Smoking definitions, and replacing Grilling with Broiling

15) The really irritating way they claim credit for inventing everything, ever or doing anything, ever - from winning WW2 to inventing cuisine - and seem to make it a mission to utterly marginalise and obscure the truth.

16) Fucking Patent Culture

17) Oh no someone has done something I don't like! OBLIGATORY CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT.

18) Their bizarre tendency to think citizen rights exist in vacuums and therefore are unable to contradict each other (i.e, petitions for Piers Morgan to be deported for speaking about Gun Control that ignores freedom of speech rights)

19) The inability to understand that freedom of expression comes with social responsibility (arguably the root cause of Trolling and most of the problems with the internet)

20) "I could care less". It's COULDN'T, you fucking lingual spastics.
    I see you've had a thrilling Christmas.
  • superdelphinus 27 Dec 2012 09:20:34 8,089 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thread title seems particularly American-ish to me. Ironic
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Dec 2012 09:22:08 14,983 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado

I nearly fell off the sidewalk when I read that list on my cell, causing my corfffeeee to splill over my work pants. almost fell into an open trunk of a car.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 27 December 2012 09:22:12
    DM calling people spastics seems ironic.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 27 Dec 2012 09:22:43 610 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Almost all of the things people complain about originally came from us. Like 'Route' and 'Router'.

I was talking to a welsh IT guy the other day and he said Router as you would expect an american to do. This stuff didnt happen out of thin air, it happened for a reason.

HATE AMERICANISMS, HATE THYSELF.
    Oddly, I don't think I ever heard router pronounced any differently, only route :) My dislike of the change in pronunciation there is you are changing the pronunciation of one word to a completely different word, although the context should help in most situations.

Can't excuse "booee" though, although I find that one more amusing than annoying. :p
  • Deleted user 27 December 2012 09:23:22
    AREN'T AMERICANS STUPID LOL
  • SirDespard 27 Dec 2012 09:26:12 128 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There are a couple that annoy me. Winningest is a horrible word, why not say most successful?
    I also can't fathom pronouncing buoy as boo-ee, yet still saying buoyant like we do.
  • mrpon 27 Dec 2012 09:26:50 29,202 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bee-ta not bay-ta. See also data.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• spamdangled 27 Dec 2012 09:27:18 27,413 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    The thread title seems particularly American-ish to me. Ironic
    Intentional.

• Whizzo 27 Dec 2012 09:27:55 43,197 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has anyone pointed out that "Fall" isn't an Americanism yet? It's something that just slowly stopped being used this side of the Atlantic while it continued in the land of the disloyal sods on the other?

This space left intentionally blank.

• localnotail 27 Dec 2012 09:45:42 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Its 'die in a fire'. 'Die with fire' is not only grammatically horrific, its not the meme you were looking for.

Merry Christmas.
    Die in a fire, kill it with fire.

I don't actually mind the Americanisms of Americans, as long as they stay over there. It's their language now, American English, they can do what they want with it. Variety embiggens us all.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• andytheadequate 27 Dec 2012 09:48:53 8,268 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

2) Dropping the H when they say "Herbs"

15) The really irritating way they claim credit for inventing everything, ever or doing anything, ever - from winning WW2 to inventing cuisine - and seem to make it a mission to utterly marginalise and obscure the truth.

19) The inability to understand that freedom of expression comes with social responsibility (arguably the root cause of Trolling and most of the problems with the internet)

20) "I could care less". It's COULDN'T, you fucking lingual spastics.
    2- That's not an "Americanism". You hardly hear any Hs pronounced if you live in Yorkshire either...

15 - This is true, but you could argue people in the UK (as in English, Scottish, Nirish and Welsh just to avoid any pedantry...) do the same. By the end of the war we were a second rate power, without the Soviets and Americans we would have done well to survive nevermind defeat Germany. Of course, Britain was in the war from the beginning, and if we hadn't survived then there wouldn't have been a war left to join, but most Brits do love to overexagerate our role in Germany's defeat.

19 - that's stupid people, rather than just Americans.

20 - I'll give you that one, that definitely seems to be an American thing, and it makes anyone saying it sound like a moron

Personally I don't really mind Americanisms, it adds to the experience when watching American sports IMO. Language evolves after all

Edited by andytheadequate at 09:50:01 27-12-2012
  • LeoliansBro 27 Dec 2012 09:49:00 44,512 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funny how 'adding "ism" to any word to produce its derivative' didn't make the list. Pretty much a definitive Americanism.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 09:49:11 27-12-2012

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 10 First / Last