NAS Drives - Help me EG you're my only hope! Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • whatthefu 13 Dec 2012 18:01:01 823 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On those buffalo NAS drives, can you set the second and third PCs to have limited rights, like they can't delete?
  • Dirtbox 13 Dec 2012 18:38:06 76,329 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, you can set up permissions pretty easily.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Carlo 13 Dec 2012 22:04:24 17,913 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Got a Buffalo linkstation, 2gb. Excellent, small and very quiet.
    I'm using this one and it's fucking brilliant.

PSN ID: Djini

• Gambit1977 13 Dec 2012 22:20:16 9,543 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Carlo that's much sexier than mine!
    Great piece of kit though. I bought mine after my wester digital world book decided to corrupt 1gb of data. Never looked back.

The web interface for admin is really simple too. Great set up. Also has iTunes server etc built in, oh and torrent.
  • FutileResistor 13 Dec 2012 22:35:14 1,208 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    An HP Proliant N40L Server for 120 (after cashback)with freenas or unraid would be better than any NAS you can get for a similar price or even quite a bit more.

Or you could build your own B75 motherboard G530 system for 145.

B75 Motherboard 45
    G530 Celeron 32
    Generic Mid Tower Case 16
    Corsair Vengeance 4GB RAM 16
    Corsair 430CX PSU 36 or the Antec VP 350W for 29.

Install Freenas and XBMC on a USB flashdrive for a HTPC/Media Server.

An entire G530 system idles at under 45 Watts and dosen't go over 70 Watts at full load. It's never going to get to full load as a media server/HTPC.

Edited by FutileResistor at 22:37:40 13-12-2012
  • Sharzam 14 Dec 2012 08:51:03 2,118 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have a Asus RT-N66U router and have attached a hard drive via usb. I can access the drive anywhere on my network as both a storage drive and as a media server, such as from a tablet or ps3 for streaming . I also have remote access using an android app. Rather handy it auto syncs folders (of my choosing) with Asus Web storage.

Just wondering what is the difference between this and a NAS drive?

Edited by Sharzam at 08:53:34 14-12-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• MMMarmite 14 Dec 2012 09:22:49 910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Sharzam pretty much the same thing, storage attached to the network. A separate NAS box would give a few additional features and probably better performance for certain tasks but other than that they do the same job.

Edited by MMMarmite at 09:23:20 14-12-2012
  • Zomoniac 14 Dec 2012 09:26:25 7,402 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got a HTPC a few weeks ago, and upon discovering that through my TV's network streaming I could get better video performance than the PC, and that I'd only switch the channel to the PC to make a new music playlist, I'm sending it back. Just replaced it with a Qnap TS-212 which seems to be very nice.
  • nickthegun 14 Dec 2012 09:33:59 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sharzam wrote:
    Just wondering what is the difference between this and a NAS drive?
    A NAS has a host of extra features. The synology, for example, can act as a time machine destination, a media server, cloud server and a hundred other things.

Also, hows the speed on the transfers to the disk on the router? I had a netgear router with a usb disk hanging out the back many moons ago and it was like transferring over dialup.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• mrpon 14 Dec 2012 10:20:36 27,645 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The synology, for example, can act as a time machine
    Wow! Sold!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• nickthegun 14 Dec 2012 10:24:19 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is how it works:

He totally called it

• Sharzam 14 Dec 2012 10:34:57 2,118 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Also, hows the speed on the transfers to the disk on the router? I had a netgear router with a usb disk hanging out the back many moons ago and it was like transferring over dialup.
    Pretty quick, faster than a couple of usb sticks i use on my desktop but slower than true sata I bet . Should be noted the drive itself is a old SSD I had knocking about. Just put it in a usb enclosure and I guess gain something for being directly to the router overall pretty impressed with the speed.

Edited by Sharzam at 10:37:34 14-12-2012

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• MMMarmite 14 Dec 2012 10:38:37 910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun which Synology box are you using? and how loud is it?
  • Tonka 14 Dec 2012 12:51:13 19,840 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a dlink 323 or something. Its been great. Comparing a NAS and a computer with extra HDDs is missing the point.

Main reason for me was to not have to keep a pc up and running. My NAS has a BitTorrent client as added bonus.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• crispyduckman 14 Dec 2012 13:51:47 1,846 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Obviously there's an additional cost, but I recommend getting a multi bay NAS enclosure and buying separate disk drives. I have a hot swappable mirrored raid array so it's fully redundant. The obvious advantage here is that you don't lose any data if a drive fails. The not so obvious advantage is that buying separate disk drives usually gets you 3 or 5 year warranties, as opposed to the standard 1 year on most enclosed 1 drive devices.

With a multi bay device you can start with 1 disk drive inside and upgrade later. It probably won't save you money, but the cost of each 2tb bare drive along the way is likely to be a lot less than multiple 2tb enclosed 1 drive devices.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• nickthegun 14 Dec 2012 13:56:19 55,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MMMarmite wrote:
    @nickthegun which Synology box are you using? and how loud is it?
    I dont actually have one. Ive put quite a few into businesses, but they have been more like this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/388523-synology-rs2212-40tb-10-bay-2u-nas-rs2212-40tb

In a 'doctors make bad patients' kind of stylee, ive just got an old mac mini with a couple of USB drives hanging off the back.

He totally called it

• MMMarmite 14 Dec 2012 14:11:58 910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah I see, we have a couple of Netgear ones at work and the software is damn ropey. I'm looking for something with a bit of grunt (for transcoding) to run Plex without costing a fortune on the 'leccy bill.

Edited by MMMarmite at 14:12:52 14-12-2012
  • mrpon 14 Dec 2012 14:22:37 27,645 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't believe I never installed sickbeard on my NAS. Too late now I guess.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• warlockuk 14 Dec 2012 15:31:48 19,101 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just got a 50 Dlink DNS320 ages ago; popcorn hour box grabs the content via samba. Job done.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• FutileResistor 14 Dec 2012 22:10:11 1,208 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I have a dlink 323 or something. Its been great. Comparing a NAS and a computer with extra HDDs is missing the point.

Main reason for me was to not have to keep a pc up and running. My NAS has a BitTorrent client as added bonus.
    Almost all NAS boxes are running some kind of Linux kernal. They are basically PCs running linux, but with underpowered CPUs compared the HP Proliant 40L or the DIY G530 in my link.

Once you set it up, FreeNAS is pretty much maintainance free and obviously a lot more flexible than a ready bulit NAS box.

The cheapest 4 bay Synology would be around 230 but either the Proliant or G530 would be better performing and more flexible.

Even expensive 450+ 4 bay NAS boxes like the DS412+ is only using an Intel Atom D2700 which is probably comparable to the AMD Turion in the Proliant but it's almost 4 times more expensive. The G530 system is at least twice as quick as the Atom D2710 before you even start taking HD3000 graphics into account while costing 150 versus 450.

If you're reasonably tehnically minded the Proliant or a DIY box based around an Ivy bridge celeron is the obviously cheaper and better performing option.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 23:01:36
    @warlockuk

Strange, that was the exact model I gave away, after successive firmwares showing no improvement. It might work well with an SSD, but it was completely useless with two good conventional 1TB HDDs. Anything above 1GB or 2GB files was like pulling teeth transferring to and from over gigabit ethernet.

@FutileResistor

I think we are wasting our time trying to convince them that the problem is CPU, SATA limited, some lessons people need to learn first hand, and for many the small size and easy setup is too strong a pull factor.

NAS is marketed as a good and cheap entry level equivalent of proper RAID for domestic use, which it certainly isn't imo.
  • Widge Moderator 7 Jan 2013 07:42:20 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone got any experience of this thing:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/B003R02R2O/ref=aw_d_crstars_computers

?

Like the idea that it acts as an external HDD hub and NAS and net streamer. Big benefit is that I can remove my music HDD if I have the need to play out.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• UncleLou Moderator 7 Jan 2013 08:37:13 35,172 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • FutileResistor 7 Jan 2013 09:30:27 1,208 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Widge

From the first user review.

This device is a dock for external hard drives which you connect to a router with an ethernet cable, so that you can access the drives over a network or over the internet. It has two special slots which accept only Seagate GoFlex portable drives, and one standard USB 2.0 port to which you can attach any external drive (of any brand) provided it has a USB connection. There are also two LED gauges which show how full the drives are, but these only work with drives inserted into the GoFlex proprietary slots.
    Looks like the two docking slots only work with GoFlex drives. The USB port which can accept a standard usb hard drive is only USB 2 which means transfer speeds will be really slow, although this wouldn't matter for music streaming.

I would avoid as I'm pretty certain with a little research you will find loads of NAS enclosures that could do what you want.
  • Blakester 7 Jan 2013 09:30:38 3,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quick NAS questions which I hope the collective brain can help me with.

I have a 2-bay Synology Diskstation with 2TB mirrored storage (2x2TB). The problem is that it's almost full and I would like to add at least another 2TB (mirrored).

What are my best options?

1/ Purchase a 4-bay case and purchase more hard-drives
    2/ Purchase bigger hard-drives and transfer my data across

If I go for option 1, does anyone know how easy it would be to swap in my existing hard drives?

Cheers for any help.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• warlockuk 7 Jan 2013 09:48:34 19,101 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @warlockuk

Strange, that was the exact model I gave away, after successive firmwares showing no improvement. It might work well with an SSD, but it was completely useless with two good conventional 1TB HDDs. Anything above 1GB or 2GB files was like pulling teeth transferring to and from over gigabit ethernet.

@FutileResistor

I think we are wasting our time trying to convince them that the problem is CPU, SATA limited, some lessons people need to learn first hand, and for many the small size and easy setup is too strong a pull factor.

NAS is marketed as a good and cheap entry level equivalent of proper RAID for domestic use, which it certainly isn't imo.
    Weird... I've kinda bypassed a lot of my transferring anyway - the box itself grabs and extracts files. Currently using it for media storage and GIT Remote location (it's a bit shit for things like iTunes server which Apple apparently broke and anything to do with web serving - insufficient RAM).

Works nicely for me, got one USB drive on it and a spare slot inside. for storage of videos and junk it does the job. If I get another I'll aim for something with a smidge more ram and grunt so I can setup Redmine and things and use it as a dev backup / hub location.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• MMMarmite 7 Jan 2013 10:47:11 910 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:NAS is marketed as a good and cheap entry level equivalent of proper RAID for domestic use, which it certainly isn't imo.
    What a load of bull...
    NAS is a series of protocols for accessing files over a network, RAID is a storage technology for creating logical volumes over multiple disks. They have no equivalence!

Pretty much all cheap NAS units offer Raid 0 or 1 - it may be a software implementation but still it'll do what's necessary.
  • Widge Moderator 14 Jan 2013 09:55:57 12,595 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FutileResistor wrote:
    @Widge

From the first user review.

This device is a dock for external hard drives which you connect to a router with an ethernet cable, so that you can access the drives over a network or over the internet. It has two special slots which accept only Seagate GoFlex portable drives, and one standard USB 2.0 port to which you can attach any external drive (of any brand) provided it has a USB connection. There are also two LED gauges which show how full the drives are, but these only work with drives inserted into the GoFlex proprietary slots.
    Looks like the two docking slots only work with GoFlex drives. The USB port which can accept a standard usb hard drive is only USB 2 which means transfer speeds will be really slow, although this wouldn't matter for music streaming.

I would avoid as I'm pretty certain with a little research you will find loads of NAS enclosures that could do what you want.
    Ok. Have decided I'm not too fussed about removable storage now. I was going to get the DLINK 320L, but am unsure as to whether it runs wirelessly for the entire household.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next