Steambox - Valve's console Page 21

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• dominalien 26 Sep 2013 08:33:42 6,861 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    I guess that going forward, a significant number of AAA games will have a Linux version built? No?
    Valve certainly seem to think so. It remains to be seen if they can convince the big publishers. I don't think they'll have many problems if they manage to get a large enough installed active base (around 10 million, perhaps?). They might just pull this off on the basis of all their own and indie games, plus the odd Metro Last Light.

PSN: DonOsito

• Trafford 26 Sep 2013 08:36:33 5,791 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dominalien, thanks for clearing that up for me.
    I have no pc at the moment, so am glad this has slipped into next year, it will give me chance to wait and see and try out a ps4.
  • CosmicFuzz 26 Sep 2013 09:33:31 24,360 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    @CosmicFuzz

The fact you're not the target audience for this doesn't mean no-one else is. :-)
    Haha very true!

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• CosmicFuzz 26 Sep 2013 09:33:55 24,360 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Has anyone posted do a joke about the irony of this being... VAPOUR-ware?
    Fuck me I only just got the 'Steam', 'Valve' naming convention. What a day.
    :D

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• Bremenacht 27 Sep 2013 00:35:34 18,275 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nVidia talks about SteamOS.
  • misterm84 27 Sep 2013 15:28:43 93 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    I guess that going forward, a significant number of AAA games will have a Linux version built? No?
    Valve certainly seem to think so. It remains to be seen if they can convince the big publishers. I don't think they'll have many problems if they manage to get a large enough installed active base (around 10 million, perhaps?). They might just pull this off on the basis of all their own and indie games, plus the odd Metro Last Light.
    I really wish EA would ditch Origin and start putting their stuff on Steam. It's probably not ever going to happen but the only downside to my SteamBox is having to crack out the wireless keyboard to fire up Origin for those two EA games I occasionally want to play (and potentially any future EA games).
  • Deleted user 27 September 2013 15:33:04
    You could just add them in as non-Steam games in Steam. They should launch and sign into Origin for you (presuming you have auto-sign in turned on).
  • misterm84 27 Sep 2013 15:36:48 93 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ...you know I've added a few non-Steam games before and never thought to do this.

Thank you!

(It'd still be nice to have them native to Steam though)
  • Mr-Brett 27 Sep 2013 18:05:02 12,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well it is a controller, not one I was expecting though: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Dual trackpads and a touchscreen.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Bremenacht 27 Sep 2013 18:08:22 18,275 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bah. Very nice and different, but I wanted Steam 2.0 and HL3!! Wahhhh.
  • Mr-Brett 27 Sep 2013 18:11:12 12,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wanted the moon on a stick or failing that a hover car, fuck you Valve!

If this works as promised it'll be great. Of course the issue is as always that competitors will refuse to support it.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Bremenacht 27 Sep 2013 18:12:13 18,275 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Source 2 would have been nice as well.
    :/
  • steviepunk 27 Sep 2013 18:31:33 12 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't really expect a separate controller announcement, but this does look like a significant enough break from traditional controllers to justify the separate announcement.

Will be interested to see how it works in practice, but sounds interesting. Though one aspect that does concern me is how it will behave with games that are designed/intended to work with normal controllers already - while they could obviously have the 4 'standard' buttons represented by 4 sections of the right hand touch section - any game that requires multiple button presses at the time could be tricky (playing Arkham City just now, combos need 2 buttons pressed), as in reality you don't have separate fingers on each button, you use your thumb to push down 2 buttons at once, something that wouldn't really be possible with a touch pad.

Interested to see more, maybe this pad isn't intended to replace traditional controls, just keyboard and mouse.
  • CharlieStCloud 27 Sep 2013 18:40:01 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Steam Controller looks crap, but I am sure it'll be great to use (for certain games).

... a no show for Half-Life 3 is breaking my heart.

: (
  • figgis 27 Sep 2013 18:45:28 7,376 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dark souls might be a little tricksy with that thing. Might be good for fps's though.
  • B0rked_Gamer 27 Sep 2013 18:48:26 2,711 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Weird. It's weird. WEIRD.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2013 18:57:14
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Well it is a controller, not one I was expecting though: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

Dual trackpads and a touchscreen.
    That doesn't look user friendly for someone that doesn't game a lot. Hell it doesn't look user friendly to me. Can you imagine your partners face when she/he asks "How do I use this to play Peggle?"?

And why do they have to mess with the diamond button configuration? Looking at the right trackpad it looks like your thumb travels further than it does on this 360 pads thumb stick in front of me. In fact the circumference that my thumb travels around on the 360 pad is less than that of a pound coin? Those trackpads look a lot bigger, so they'd have to move the buttons around the pad.
  • twelveways 27 Sep 2013 19:21:24 4,023 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It looks awesome. Valve have envisioned a workable future for pc gaming (if the pricing is right).
  • MatMan562 27 Sep 2013 19:43:09 2,463 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the biggest concern is that, unless the controller is a lot smaller than it looks, you'll have to take your left thumb off the left trackpad for 2 of the face buttons whereas most games are designed to only take your right thumb off the right stick to be able to access all of the face buttons. Maybe it'll work better for k+m conversions where a lot of the buttons are next to 'wasd' but you can usually then press one of the other buttons whilst still running forward, for example.

Still, it looks interesting and if it's crap, the Xbox One pad should make for a nice, new PC controller. We'll have to wait and see some hands-on impressions first though.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Ginger 27 Sep 2013 19:51:52 6,840 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago

Iím a happy Steam customer happily using my happy mouse and keyboard. I donít want a controller?
    You canít make a sentence into a question by just putting a question-mark at the end. But weíre happy youíre happy, and by all means keep using whatever input method makes sense for you. Rest assured, we wonít abandon you. We love mice and keyboards, too.
    Made me laugh

Edited by Ginger at 19:52:54 27-09-2013

London open taekwondo champion

• Blerk Moderator 27 Sep 2013 19:57:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That thing's officially 'batshit mental'.
  • Ginger 27 Sep 2013 20:03:52 6,840 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bet they'll cost more than £50 each, easily.

Edited by Ginger at 20:04:04 27-09-2013

London open taekwondo champion

• YoshiMcTaggis 27 Sep 2013 20:07:12 3,180 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I imagine this is for mouse and keyboard stuff and you use a normal pad for other stuff
  • Rusty_M 27 Sep 2013 20:32:06 4,692 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That looks so different, I don't really know what to think about it. It could be good and it could be awful. I'm certainly interested.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Deleted user 27 September 2013 23:17:08
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Goodfella wrote:
    Source 2 would have been nice as well.
    :/
    Nothing's more exciting than the announcement of a game engine with no game.
  • Chopsen 27 Sep 2013 23:45:47 16,000 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The immediate thing that occurred to me is that according to the portal mapping they used an example you can't use push-to-talk and move at the same time.

I can absolutely see how this how this could be a cool controller, but without actually using it I'm really skeptical. Mapping WASD to an analog slidey thing with your thumb sounds like an awful idea. I tried playing a PC port of SF IV on an analogue flight stick. I know these things!
  • Carlo 27 Sep 2013 23:46:38 18,060 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I'll need to try it to be honest.

PSN ID: Djini

• Shikasama 27 Sep 2013 23:46:40 6,841 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So as a PC Gamer already, the big thing for me is that I can get a cheap, shitty piece of kit and run my game library on my TV via streaming yeah?

Or is this a new console with dedicated hardware, much more like Xbone/PS$?

I'm a little bit confused about it all.
  • Page

of 28 First / Last