Dark Souls II Page 17

• Page

of 389 First / Last

• senso-ji 17 Jun 2013 13:22:14 5,999 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Summoning another enemy player during a boss fight is insane, brilliant, and no way near the 'accessibility' gameplay From Soft were talking about :)

Edited by senso-ji at 13:22:35 17-06-2013
  • King_Edward 17 Jun 2013 14:46:26 11,466 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can the boss do this attack more than once? Summon multiple invaders?

Edited by King_Edward at 14:46:38 17-06-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 17 Jun 2013 14:59:28 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Summoning another enemy player during a boss fight is insane, brilliant, and no way near the 'accessibility' gameplay From Soft were talking about :)
    So... That's what they meant with accessibility - access for the invaders. Must be those Japanese to English google translators. haha
  • Dr_Mech 17 Jun 2013 18:09:00 1,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Can the boss do this attack more than once? Summon multiple invaders?
    Yes...yes it can.

Each time it does it, it'll summon a new invader if you let it pull the move off, if you haven't killed the previous invader, you'll have to fight two.

Evil my friends, pure evil.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 18:10:09 17-06-2013
  • quadfather 18 Jun 2013 11:26:29 13,144 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    tidbit of news

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Dangerous_Dan 18 Jun 2013 11:46:13 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Using that bit of news, I found this -

When it conceived of Demon’s Souls – the spiritual precursor to the Dark Souls series – From Software was inspired by early western RPGs like Wizardry. These games were often badly translated – when they were localised at all! – and Japanese-speaking players had to puzzle out how they worked without the benefit of manuals or even in-game menu text. Instead, they often turned to message boards, to share tips and tricks and try to solve problems together.
    That’s why so many of the Souls games’ systems are obscure and undocumented, and why players can leave messages in the game world to help – or hinder – those who come after.
    Limitations foster creativity - abundance destroys it.
  • quadfather 18 Jun 2013 11:55:13 13,144 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Very good.

• quadfather 18 Jun 2013 17:02:54 13,144 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Preview!

• mcmothercruncher 18 Jun 2013 19:37:24 7,493 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That is reassuring, but it's such a finely tuned game that I feel I need a couple of hours with it in my hands before I can really relax.
    Do wish the release wasn't so post PS4 launch too.
  • Architect_z 19 Jun 2013 09:25:59 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Although awesome sounding, i'm not sure about the summoning invaders in a boss fight, whats to say he doesnt summon someone who has like stupidly powerful magic and firing it at you while mirror-man comes crashing down on you with his sword.

If they have particular gear, that would be ok.
    If an invader is say: given a shield, a weapon and a set of armour relevant to that fight, then thats fine.
  • LeoliansBro 19 Jun 2013 10:18:06 44,722 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So is the Mirror Knight going to be a covenant then? Would make sense for the summoned invaders to be followers.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Dr_Mech 19 Jun 2013 13:49:59 1,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    no ideas as of yet Leo, it may be like the Monk in Demon's Souls where if you invade in that area there is a chance you'll be summoned in as a mirror image during a bossfight.

Wonder if they'll do something similar to the Monk where if you kill the host as a mirror image you get a unique piece of loot.

Architect_z wrote:
    Although awesome sounding, i'm not sure about the summoning invaders in a boss fight, whats to say he doesnt summon someone who has like stupidly powerful magic and firing it at you while mirror-man comes crashing down on you with his sword.

If they have particular gear, that would be ok.
    If an invader is say: given a shield, a weapon and a set of armour relevant to that fight, then thats fine.
    From what can be fathomed the mirror image will be just that, you and the gear you're wearing, basically they have to kill you as you, I doubt From are that much of a douchebag to make it that unfair but...

Edited by Dr_Mech at 13:52:07 19-06-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 20 Jun 2013 17:04:33 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Some DkS 2 concept art...

VGLeaks Link

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 17:06:15 20-06-2013
  • Rodriguez 24 Jun 2013 00:03:34 1,100 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New 35-minute discussion video over on Gametrailers regarding Mirror Knight boss fight among other things. Doesn't sound like Magic worked well against it :o
  • Telepathic.Geometry 24 Jun 2013 02:48:58 11,451 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love this idea. Sometimes, the mirror image might actually betray the mirror dude and fight by your side too. Especially if there are two or three of them. It's this human element of unpredictability that makes me love the DS multi-player system so much...

Edited by Telepathic.Geometry at 02:50:11 24-06-2013

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Dr_Mech 24 Jun 2013 07:05:56 1,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks Rodriquez some great info there.

Seems like they nerfed Parrying substantially by making it a lot more risky to try to finish off an enemy. I can get why they've done this, if you could parry you could pretty much just blitz your way through the game with ease, though I thought this was the payoff for having mastered parrying.

Mind you it isn't like I'll be parrying a lot in my first playthrough, I'm hoping the Mirror Knight Soul allows you to craft his Greatshield ala Greatshield of Artorias.

Hmm that would make an interesting greatshield, low durability but reflects magic projectiles when blocking, that'd fuck up a PvP casters day.
  • King_Edward 24 Jun 2013 07:39:59 11,466 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I need this game. I'm seriously scraping the barrel with the first game now.
  • mcmothercruncher 24 Jun 2013 08:56:41 7,493 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmmm, that video sounds like they've removed some of the "frustrations" (totally the wrong word, but their word) but also removed some of the jeopardy. Easy routes back to the boss battle, bonfire warping from the start, that risk/reward calculation you had to make about paths through the world was integral to the play.
  • King_Edward 24 Jun 2013 09:49:53 11,466 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Short cuts to bosses is nothing new. Most in Dark Souls one. Not sure about the warp thing. On the hand, yay, I don't have to walk everywhere. On the otherhand I'm less likely learn the world do well. It's a unique Point that Dark Souls is the only game I can mentally walk through.
  • senso-ji 24 Jun 2013 09:53:29 5,999 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Some DkS 2 concept art...

VGLeaks Link
    Village by the sea looks interesting. I'm guessing that will be the next Nexus/Firelink Shrine NPC hub.
  • mcmothercruncher 24 Jun 2013 10:02:23 7,493 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Short cuts for some bosses, and once you'd earned them as with the Valley of Defilement, world 2. The video made it sound like there was a bonfire right next to the Mirror Knight fog. Now, while I might be grateful for that later on, it does ring a teeny weeny alarm bells about the accessibility for me.
  • Dr_Mech 24 Jun 2013 11:05:12 1,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah that does see a little meh to me, the other bonus of not having a bonfire right near the boss is it kind of makes you begin to think how you can speedrun the area which increases your tactical thinking and knowledge of the level.

Also they confirmed that the Mirror Knight is basically Artorias 2.0, a boss that has a particular move you need to poisebreak him out of. I'm wondering whereabouts the Mirror Knight is situated within the game is he a very early boss or a midgame one?
  • Architect_z 25 Jun 2013 15:19:28 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I reckon he'll be early game, if tradition follows, they normally show early story gameplay at E3.

I reckon he'll be the 3rd / 4th boss maybe?
  • Tuffty 25 Jun 2013 16:26:09 1,710 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can just never quite understand the complaints about fast travel in any game. Because in any game that uses it, it's optional. If you want to be that person who roams the lands of Skyrim between cities without fast travel then great, you can absolutely do that. If you just want to warp here and there and cut the travel out so you can get to the missions or shops faster? Can totally do that too. Or if you want to have a mixture of both, using fast travel to dump off a load of crap you found so you aren't encumbered anymore, you can do that as well.

Dark Souls 2 will be no different, I can promise that here and now. We all know it's a dull, painful walk back to the Bed of Chaos each time you die, so putting bonfires nearer to bosses is a-ok with me. But I'm gonna make a logical guess and say that you're still gonna have to travel on foot to get there first, like Demons Souls. We all know the joy of Dark Souls is to explore the environments for secrets/items as well so no doubt we'll use fast travel sparingly because there is more for us to gain by not skipping sections of the level. Fast travel is for players with different mindsets than mine and I'm ok if that makes it a better experience for them. More Dark Souls fans, the better.

For any existing Dark Souls players that do worry about fast travel ruining the game and what have you, I almost want to grasp them by the shoulders and shake them, not too hard, but firmly, and just say "It's gonna be ok. You will be ok."

Edited by Tuffty at 16:29:38 25-06-2013
  • Dr_Mech 25 Jun 2013 16:30:11 1,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm true, didn't they show the Gargoyles for the E3 demo of Dark Souls?

So what build is everyone going for with their first character?

As expressed I'd be doing my idiot muscleman build, Strength/Vitality/Endurance all the way, I shall speak stupidly and carry a big stick.
  • quadfather 25 Jun 2013 16:33:25 13,144 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tuffty - Agreed - it's a handy feature *if* you choose to use it.

@Dr_Mech - I might try a nimble character to start with, or maybe a ranged one, if it's available/viable from the start

Edit - but one that doesn't need a balder side sword.

Edited by quadfather at 16:34:01 25-06-2013

• mcmothercruncher 25 Jun 2013 19:32:10 7,493 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hehe, you know you don't escape that easily- there will be another grind-like-a-bastard weapon that you just have to have.

I might break the habit of a lifetime and go with a magic character first.
  • ProfessorLesser 25 Jun 2013 19:36:03 19,400 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems I'm odd in always leaning to magic first. Doesn't melee always seem plain and boring to you? Guess not!
  • Dangerous_Dan 25 Jun 2013 20:38:27 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can just never quite understand the complaints about fast travel in any game. Because in any game that uses it, it's optional.
    Do you use fast travel? Or better, did you ever role a character, in any game with fast travel, and decided to never use fast travel? And stuck with that? - I haven't and I don't like the fast travel option in most games, the ones I care about to be precise.

In general, there is that discussion about options in games.

It's the same argument with optional difficulty in Dark Souls - "you don't have to use it"

Something that is optional does change the game.

A guy who is walking through the desert, alone, will have a different experience than someone who does that and is followed by a friend in a SUV - just in case there is a problem.

Options change everything.

You could argue that it's about will-power - If you really don't want to use an option then don't. That's a different experience though. Using your will-power to refrain from using an option is different than not having an option.

If the experience of the game is about watching the content then things like fast travel or an easy difficulty setting won't matter. If it's about something else then it will matter.

Rant over, silly young me.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 25 Jun 2013 21:01:33 4,267 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I don't know if this is already widely known or anything (it's new to me) but in the gameplay video on the EG front page for the temple knight, he uses an Estus Flask. They aren't gone then?
  • Page

of 389 First / Last