Dark Souls II Page 5

• Page

of 387 First / Last

• grassyknoll 10 Dec 2012 22:51:12 46 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The great thing about Dark Souls is not really the difficulty, but the mystery & game design that actively creates a community. if accessibility involves destroying those, then the series is ruined, but if it's something that encourages exploration & experimentation, I'm all for it. It could strengthen the community too.
  • Garlvinlandblueblood 10 Dec 2012 23:20:55 430 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Every element is so finely balanced I don't know what they could change without losing something.

The difficulty makes you fear restarting, which makes exploration slower and more thrilling. Plus the fact the game tells you nothing but vague hints. You're thankful for help, and it builds a community, but it's offset by the threat of invasion so you don't rely on help. The open world and lack of a map keeps you in the moment and in the character's shoes as much as possible. And outside of the game mechanics, there's a story/lore reason for everything, for invaders, phantoms, bonfires, the incredible world and use of 3D space. There's no exposition and everyone talks like you would expect them to. Everything just ties together and keeps you involved.

I thought I wanted the ability to coop with friends, but then that would just align it with every other action RPG out there and take away the whole thrill of achievement. It's early days but the comments from the Edge article and hiring a director from Monster Hunter makes it seem like they want to turn it into the next big online RPG, like Diablo/Borderlands. Hopefully it would increase sales in time for Miyazaki to reveal the proper next-gen Souls game he's secretly working on...
  • Telepathic.Geometry 11 Dec 2012 04:31:37 11,401 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, in fairness, the hidden part of the game is not particularly good. I mean, when you get to Ash Lake and look around, you defo get that feeling of "Oh fuck, this is a bad place!", but there's not actually an awful lot to do down there...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• PazJohnMitch 11 Dec 2012 04:39:18 8,308 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found Ash Lake but missed the Painted World.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 11 Dec 2012 04:49:28 11,401 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh shit, I forgot about the painted world, that was a quality level... I kinda wish that the entrance had been out the back of the asylum though, just to keep everything connected...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Deleted user 11 December 2012 12:36:16
    @quadfather They give back more than any other game I can think of definitely. Iím toying with the idea of buying Demonís Souls once Iíve started NG+ on Dark Souls. I played Demonís Souls for a short period of time a few years ago but didnít fully understand the dynamics of it. Now that Iíve played Dark Souls for 30hrs+ I think Iíd get it.
  • quadfather 11 Dec 2012 13:02:27 12,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    lukejones wrote:
    @quadfather They give back more than any other game I can think of definitely. Iím toying with the idea of buying Demonís Souls once Iíve started NG+ on Dark Souls. I played Demonís Souls for a short period of time a few years ago but didnít fully understand the dynamics of it. Now that Iíve played Dark Souls for 30hrs+ I think Iíd get it.
    I reckon you'll absolutely love it.

RE the painted world. I actually figured that out without reading anything up on it. If you look at the dolls description (I'm ocd about everything's description, hence my still-burning-rage at not working out the pendant!), it's actually fairly obvious it's to do with the only massive painting in the entire game, guarded by Painting Guardians.

The hard part was getting the doll. It was only when I was going up the lift in firelink that I thought I could roll out of the lift and then I stumbled accidentally onto the stray demon (Utter bastard :)

The clue's are there, they're just so beautifully interwoven into the game world.

Simplify that, and you've lost it's core mystery and lore

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Widge Moderator 11 Dec 2012 13:09:40 13,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lukejones wrote:
    I have worlds 5-2 and 3-2 sitting there taunting me from a distance, waiting for my return. I solo'd most of Demons, but, after playing Dark, realise how much harder it is to buff up your equipment in it.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• quadfather 12 Dec 2012 16:15:17 12,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    3-2 has to be my favourite level I think. oozes atmosphere.

5-2 can fuck off :p

• L_Franko Moderator 12 Dec 2012 16:37:13 9,694 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've not played Demon Souls, and doubt I ever will, but I'm watching EpicNameBro's Demon Days playthrough and I'm really enjoying. My evening's entertainment for bed time :)
  • quadfather 12 Dec 2012 16:43:09 12,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @L_Franko - yeah, they're really good aren't they.

Personally, I prefer demon's for the atmosphere, but they're both games of the decade for me either way

• teamHAM 12 Dec 2012 17:37:24 3,037 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Edited by teamHAM at 17:39:52 12-12-2012

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Dangerous_Dan 12 Dec 2012 17:42:08 2,378 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fix.
  • FanBoysSuck 12 Dec 2012 18:26:35 1,524 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Talking of epicnamebro, has anyone keeping up with lordran FM? There's already some cool theories about which direction the game is going. All speculation but great fun and keeps the excitement at peak levels! Saying that, we know the the kingdom in the trailer is Lordran going on some old concept art. I hope lots of unanswered questions in the lore gets solved!

For the emperor!

• mcmothercruncher 12 Dec 2012 19:58:10 7,203 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like, where do they all go to buy their milk, anyway?
  • quadfather 13 Dec 2012 11:58:05 12,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And do the undead just stand there forever in the same spot not moving until some adventurer comes haphazardly blundering through their area? Don't they go to the pub? Shift work?

• mcmothercruncher 13 Dec 2012 13:44:37 7,203 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I mean, I presume they'd all prefer to do the night shift. Must be a scheduling nightmare for their line manager.
  • quadfather 13 Dec 2012 14:34:49 12,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If dark souls ii has gifts....and one of those gifts is a fucking pendant.....

• Shikasama 13 Dec 2012 14:47:25 6,955 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd like to see more puzzle based difficulty.

Not long into Dark Souls you twig that the 'difficulty' comes from things twatting you hard and not much else. Once I got past that the game basically became a giant QTE for me.

Dodge, poke, dodge, poke, dodge, poke

Or on my Knight type

Shield, poke, Shield, poke, dodge, poke, dodge, poke.

I did like the feedback from the melee combat and the flinching of enemies when they were hit, but aside from things hitting you hard it wasn't anywhere near the type of difficulty I was expecting from what my mate told me of Demons.

Laurel and Hardy were still a cunt though.
  • quadfather 13 Dec 2012 14:56:54 12,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Don't forget the environment!

"I'll just nip up these narrow steps and.....ah"

You Died.

• Shikasama 13 Dec 2012 15:25:47 6,955 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

You Died.
    That's what I was expecting loads more of from what my friend told me about Demons but I was surprised that there wasn't really much of it at all.

Top of my head (haven't really played it since release mind) there was only really the boulder at the start, the rotating bridge thing with the floaty heads and the dragon attack.
  • Widge Moderator 13 Dec 2012 15:35:20 13,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Sorry. I can't hear you above the hiss of all my HP being sapped away.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• quadfather 13 Dec 2012 16:02:52 12,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    quadfather wrote:

You Died.
    That's what I was expecting loads more of from what my friend told me about Demons but I was surprised that there wasn't really much of it at all.

Top of my head (haven't really played it since release mind) there was only really the boulder at the start, the rotating bridge thing with the floaty heads and the dragon attack.
    got through the crystal caves first time then? :)

• quadfather 13 Dec 2012 16:03:01 12,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Sorry. I can't hear you above the hiss of all my HP being sapped away.
    :-D

• King_Edward 13 Dec 2012 16:55:47 11,454 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

You Died.
    Silver Knight archers on thin ledges still give me nightmares. :D
  • Shikasama 13 Dec 2012 16:59:37 6,955 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did forget about the caves actually.

I dunno, I definitley don't think Dark Souls was a bad game or anything like that, I just didn't get the 'OMFG THIS GAME CAN HAVE SEX WITH ME' experience a lot of people seem to have had.

Maybe it was because of the way I built my character to be a shielded tank making everything easier and....pokier.

I'd still get the sequel though.
  • King_Edward 13 Dec 2012 17:04:07 11,454 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nah. My first guy was a tank and I'd still let From have their way with me behind the bins.

There's no wrong way to play. The game obviously isn't going to be for everyone.
  • quadfather 13 Dec 2012 17:06:24 12,859 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Shikasama - it was the other way round for me. At least with demon's souls - took me ages to get into it, and I was thinking, "Am I just forcing myself to try and like this?" and then suddenly, it clicked, and I never looked back. Dark souls was just an extension of that for me

• Deleted user 13 December 2012 17:37:54
    Yeah Demons took me ages to get into. Probably because I biffed that grumpy blacksmith right at the start of it and didn't realize how important he was.

Brilliant lore and theres just enough there for speculation and theory to emerge from it. Also crow headed women.

The entirety of world 3 in Demons Souls was amazing, reminded me of a H.P Lovecraft novel. Albeit less racist and more poking the unknown entities with sticks.
    Hopefully 2 will have the same joys as

Archers firing javelins at you while you cross a perilous ledge.
    A dark dark dark did I mention the dank cave with pitfalls and enemies that knock you off the edge.
    Floors made of poison/lava/tears.
    Treasure Chests that hate you.
    Bosses that Double team you.
    Indicting a Black Phantom that would not stop jigging.
  • mcmothercruncher 13 Dec 2012 18:08:43 7,203 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And an even LOWER framerate ;)
  • Page

of 387 First / Last