• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Salaman 5 Dec 2012 17:44:17 19,082 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    DAYTONA! Let's go away!

GENTLEMEN. START YOUR ENGINES.
    Holy flashback at that "Gentlemen start your engines"!
    :-D

The love lasted until they had a Sega Rally 2 machine. Now that was fun in a 4 player game.

Hated: the damn TT motorcycle thing. Spend more time in off the track than on. :-/
  • Salaman 5 Dec 2012 17:52:50 19,082 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think my personal best arcade related memory was back in 92 or 93.
    I was 17 or 18 and we were sat in a pub after school on Friday. My mate was planning to get a train to Antwerp to go visit his brother who was studying at uni there. Near where his brother lived, there was a small arcade where they had a "battle of Midway" machine which they both liked to play. He had decided to go over there just to go & play it.
    I had a fond recollection of playing it in the arcade that was part of the annual fair in my village, so I decided to come.

Dashed off home on my little 50cc motorbike (35' trip), dashed in, grabbed a fresh shirt for the next day and a toothbrush, yelled at my mom that I was going to Antwerp until the next day and dashed back off.

We took a train over to Antwerp. Went to his brother's place. Stopped at an ATM to get something like 10 each out, then went to the Arcade and played the game through until the end (with countless "continues" and a big pile of coins gone).
    Then we slept on the floor in his room after we made a bed by taking all his brother's clothes out of the wardrobe to sleep on and putting a towel over us for a blanket. Went back home the next day.

Fun times.
  • Deleted user 5 December 2012 17:54:03
    My single best memory is playing MK3 to completion when it was brand new out. Had a sizable crowd behind me after a while.
  • Salaman 5 Dec 2012 18:08:38 19,082 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only other arcade game I ever finished was Doubel Dragon II I think.
    This was when I was 14 or 15. My mum had a pub in a little village and it was a bit boring to hang out there as there was nothing there to do.
    One of the other pubs had a Wonder Boy cabinet and the one down the road Double Dragon II.

I never got far with Wonder Boy but a friend and me ended up in the other pub with our Sunday pocket money and spend a jolly few hours drinking a coke, eating a bag of crisps and fighting our way to the end of Double Dragon II with many, many "continue"s.

The pub my mum briefly had when I was 12 was better. It had a "black Knight" Williams pinball machine and one of them "gambling" machines.

Most weeks I put on a bit of my pocket money. Must've been the equivalent of 50p which gave you three games and managed to stretch that to 4 or 5 games by winning enough for another game and on occasion managed to actually get a 1 to 2 pound pay off. Yaay!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Dec 2012 18:08:56 38,271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At the end of the arcade craze I remember walking past one of the local Silcock's arcades and seeing them wheeling out one of those hydraulic Out Run cabinets... Right into a skip :(

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• RobTheBuilder 5 Dec 2012 18:15:00 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @MrTomFTW !!!!!!!!!!!!! Noooooo!
  • SYS64738 5 Dec 2012 18:34:54 1,662 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Afterburner with the hydraulic cabinet. Good times.

GET READY! FIRE!

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• Deleted user 5 December 2012 18:47:42
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    At the end of the arcade craze I remember walking past one of the local Silcock's arcades and seeing them wheeling out one of those hydraulic Out Run cabinets... Right into a skip :(
    Surely that's one of those moments where you'd be looking up a van rental?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 5 Dec 2012 18:50:02 38,271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    These days, yes. But at the time I was living with my parents in what can only be described as the box room.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 5 December 2012 18:50:41
    No excuse. You could have used it as a bed.
  • Trowel 5 Dec 2012 19:00:25 17,784 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I grew up at the seaside so spent a lot of time in various arcades, however my strongest memories are of lunchtime down the Royal playing 4 player Final Lap (what a fucking brilliant game), and of the local scabs begging for 10p and leaving you with gob on your back.
  • Arrr9 5 Dec 2012 19:09:08 415 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Most days after school the meeting place for mates was the acrcade, complete with dingy cafe at the front. It was a time to reflect on the busy school day... or rather smoke fags and play Final Fight, Golden Axe - Golden Axe III, R-type - R-type Leo and try to budge some hyper-skilled Streetfighter II player from the cabinet.

I think the N.A.R.C. cab had a default setting of really loud but that was part of the charm, hearing things like ""Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64..." just made the arcade so good.

Raiden II seemed to be set at an ear shattering volume too - as it should.
  • lucky_jim 5 Dec 2012 19:15:42 5,299 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arcade-wise, I was pretty lucky to be growing up in Brighton in the 1990s. Me and my best mate from school used to spend every saturday at the arcades on SF2 (of course), Wrestlemania, Fatal Fury, that SNK Samurai-themed fighter (I want to say Samurai Showdown but I'm not sure if that's a different game) and generally just gawping at the amazing graphics.

Edit: And Final Fight, that rocked.

Edited by lucky_jim at 19:16:26 05-12-2012
  • DaM 5 Dec 2012 19:16:26 13,245 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My favourite arcade was over the road from the local nick. When they needed young people for suspect identity parades, they would pile in, grab a few suitable spotty youths, and pay them in bags of 10ps.

The stale smell, gloomy atmosphere, the noise, lights, unsavoury youths I would normally cross the road to avoid - such happy memories :)
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Dec 2012 19:16:57 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It wasn't a proper arcade unless it left you half deaf!
  • Arrr9 5 Dec 2012 19:18:21 415 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep, it had to be loud as hell, filled with unsavoury sorts and be a bit run down to be a proper arcade.
  • RobTheBuilder 5 Dec 2012 19:24:25 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Even now I associate a lingering smell of cigarettes with playing fun games!
  • sport 5 Dec 2012 19:41:18 12,742 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    3 pages and not one mention of the greatest game plot of all time - http://www.gamefob.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BadDudesStory.jpg

And then, the greatest ending - http://splitkick.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ending_bad_dudes-article_image.jpg
  • Kangoo 5 Dec 2012 19:41:42 1,016 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved the period in the early 90's where Sega could do no wrong, Virtua Cop was imense back then, 8 player Daytona still stands out as my favourite MP game of all time and my battles with my bother on any Sega Rally machine we saw.
    Can remember being in a bowling alley and some arogant idiot was telling some girls how great he was at most games. They asked what about that one pointing at us playing Sega Rally and he said it was rubbish as it didn't handle properly and was too hard. Their reply of 'well they don't look like they are having any trouble' was classic and he quickly diverted them away.

Also remember spending tons on Ninja Gaiden, pretty sure there were some impossible jumps that just ate lives until you got reset across the gap.

PSN: Adwab2

• chrisno21 6 Dec 2012 15:16:43 1,511 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Super Sidekicks where fouling and ludicrous goals were the only way to win

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Razz 6 Dec 2012 15:20:32 61,211 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I could never figure out how to control that game

Edited by Razz at 15:20:43 06-12-2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• caligari 6 Dec 2012 15:30:10 17,057 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I remember our local Quaser Elite (Mega Zone at the time) having the original Virtua Fighter. Mind. Blown.

Trips to the heroin-haven that is Lowestoft would also see me spending long sunny days on Virtua Fighter 2.

There was an arcade in Yarmouth that used to house Time Traveller - I never dared to have a go on it (mainly because it was so expensive), but I used to gawp at it for hours (possibly minutes).

Pleasure Wood Hills ('it'll be your biggest day out ever!') used to have a fairly decent arcade, too - I'd escape my younger cousins so that I could stand and play a few decent games of Street Fighter 2 (even though I was just a simple button masher).

Holidays to Newquay as a kid brings back happy memories of playing Double Dragon with my bro - along with Terminator 2 (although I might be getting that mixed up with Operation Wolf - did that one ever have two machine guns?). I used to spend my pennies on Pac-Land, too - even though I was absolutely useless at the thing.

Oddly enough, a few days ago I went into an arcade for the first time in YEARS with my girlfriend's little nephew and niece. It's strange to see that it still has that 'wow'-factor for children, even though the machines themselves have inferior graphics to their home consoles. Even stranger was that the biggest draw was a huge four-player Pac-Man cabinet. Full circle, and all that jazz.

Edited by caligari at 16:05:21 06-12-2012
  • RedSparrows 6 Dec 2012 15:39:50 22,766 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Afterburner was amazing. But the cabinet moving around also scared me.

Me and my brother once crashed Star Wars arcade, too.
  • FogHeart 6 Dec 2012 16:06:33 946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @caligari The sequel to Op Wolf with two guns was Operation Thunderbolt, but the game with two guns where you shoot terminator-like enemies was Mechanized Attack.

Edited by FogHeart at 16:06:45 06-12-2012
  • ronuds 6 Dec 2012 16:10:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    People actually beat arcade games with their own money? I figured it wasn't even possible.

The only arcade game I've ever beaten was Terminator 2 - and that's only because I worked at a place that had the game, so I played for free. It would have cost a small fortune otherwise.
  • spindle9988 6 Dec 2012 16:14:09 3,590 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I will never forget the day when my local fish and chip shop got street fighter 2 in. I put many a 20p into that bad boy. I also remember a side scrolling beat em up that seemd to involve a baby jumping into a mech as a powerup. Cant remember for the life of me what its called now.
  • Razz 6 Dec 2012 16:45:23 61,211 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone here play that hacked taiwanese version of SF2? The one where you could do fireballs mid air and everytime you did a dragon punch fireballs would fly out your sides

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• whatfruit 6 Dec 2012 16:47:07 1,523 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Darkness. They had a four player cabinet I would always be the dwarf, I must have spent a fortune in that thing.

My Grandad used to be a memeber of Working Men Social Club they used to have a room for kids with a grotty pool table, crap jukebox and a game called Gang Busters from Konami which was like Smash TV, I would be feeding it 20p's while my family got pissed in the bar.
  • RobTheBuilder 6 Dec 2012 17:16:04 6,521 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @caligari whilst the technical element is no longer there, it's still a huge buzz to sit in a hydraulic machine or whack the retro style buttons. There is so much potential for a good retro arcade.

The recent Darius with massive screens and huge subwoofer is so much fun to play even if tr game isn't great.
  • kalel 6 Dec 2012 17:19:53 87,753 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Anyone here play that hacked taiwanese version of SF2? The one where you could do fireballs mid air and everytime you did a dragon punch fireballs would fly out your sides
    Street Fighter 2: Black Belt.

The stuff of legends.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last