Game of the Year 2012 Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 4 Dec 2012 14:27:28 16,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well the obvious answer is Xcom, easily the game I have spent the most time on and it is both punishing and very satisfying.

Saying that, I think Journey is a masterpiece, a beautiful and rewarding experience. It's hard really as Xcom is the long, challenging and rewarding game of the year yet Journey is probably the game I have enjoyed most yet it is very brief indeed. I'd probably plump for Journey really as it's stunning but I love Xcom. Oh.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Widge Moderator 4 Dec 2012 14:28:15 12,612 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really must check Xcom out, there is a lot of unreserved love for it going on.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Mr_Sleep 4 Dec 2012 14:38:24 16,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I really must check Xcom out, there is a lot of unreserved love for it going on.
    It's not without its flaws and there are some questionable design decisions but even with its flaws it's way ahead of much of the other dross.

Sleeping Dogs for instance I really like but it so often feels like GTA: Hong Kong edition. Xcom, takes an old formula, adds a dash of awesome and comes up with, well, super awesome.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Rodriguez 4 Dec 2012 14:42:04 1,080 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dragon's Dogma, XCOM and the 360 version of Minecraft have been my favourite games this year. Sleeping Dogs gets an honourable mention from me too.

As a big fan of the series, I was hoping that Hitman: Absolution (which I'm currently still playing) would make the grade too, but it's a game that I both love and hate in equal measure!
  • kinky_mong 4 Dec 2012 14:43:38 9,607 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fez for me I think, just because it was a joy to play from start to finish and the first time I've played a game with a notebook next to me since the SNES days.

There's still a few games I haven't played yet that could be contenders so I'm not giving a definite answer until early next year.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• FogHeart 4 Dec 2012 14:46:31 912 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Curiosity :p
  • graysonavich 4 Dec 2012 14:46:57 6,814 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Sims 3: Seasons Expansion pack
  • Commander Keen 4 Dec 2012 14:47:00 718 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Commander Keen. Obvs.

But from that list, XCOM and Dishonoured are fantastic games. I was among those who was quite disappointed by ME3 (one of the shootingest RPGs I've ever played) though it's obviously not a bad game. Also pretty disappointed by Diablo 3, but that's another thread.

Journey sounds very interesting. Noob question though, I assume you can't get it for anything other than Playstation?
  • redcrayon 4 Dec 2012 14:53:52 4,538 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @nickthegun

You are entitled to your opinion. The swiping mechanic doesn't bother me, it is quite good, and can be used sparingly once you get the hang of the gravity shifting :)

I am primarily a story based gamer, as everything will eventually feel like the same puzzle. However the story telling in Valkyria Chronicles was unrivalled for me until recently, and then Gravity Rush matched it, or possibly bettered it. It is a hugely underrated game imho

Sorry LeolianBro, I take it back about XCOM, I was still blinded by all the FPS and EA games in the list. I do need to give it a try, as it might be brilliant.
    You're a story based gamer and you also discounted Walking Dead? Have you played it?
  • Widge Moderator 4 Dec 2012 15:00:02 12,612 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    About ME3 and it being shooty. I went through the ME1 review recently (as I am trying to sell it to the GF as "game she must play") and, in the comments thread, Krudster (I think it was) goes to great lengths to point out that Mass Effect isn't an RPG. It is a action game with RPG overtones (vague character progression etc). Lots of people stood up to say that they were expecting 100 hours of gameplay, it is an RPG, it is from Bioware, but my overarching feeling from playing it (and again recently) is that it is a third person shooty game. A third person shooty game that had its mechanics tightened up significantly in its sequels.

_ _ _

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 4 Dec 2012 15:06:21 6,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Recently started ME3 on the 360. Yeah it is a shooter imo. It's pretty good.
  • THFourteen 4 Dec 2012 15:09:52 31,826 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing about the ME Trilogy is that the fact it is a shooter or not a shooter is not of any huge consequence.

People who loved the setting and story (like me) loved the games because of that.

It could have been a bejeweled puzzle rip off for all i cared about
  • Commander Keen 4 Dec 2012 15:10:27 718 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    About ME3 and it being shooty. I went through the ME1 review recently (as I am trying to sell it to the GF as "game she must play") and, in the comments thread, Krudster (I think it was) goes to great lengths to point out that Mass Effect isn't an RPG. It is a action game with RPG overtones (vague character progression etc). Lots of people stood up to say that they were expecting 100 hours of gameplay, it is an RPG, it is from Bioware, but my overarching feeling from playing it (and again recently) is that it is a third person shooty game. A third person shooty game that had its mechanics tightened up significantly in its sequels.
    That's probably a fair assessment I guess. I've recently started another play through and am just at the start of ME2 and the shift between the two games is palpable. First time around it felt a *lot* like dumbing down, BUT again, I don't want to slag the game or series off, as it's great fun and they're obviously good games. Just a bit too much of the PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW in places! Contrast that with something like Dishonoured where you can feasibly complete the game without killing *anyone* and you can see how one-dimensional it is without the RPG focus (for someone as curmudgeonly as me, anyway ;))

With ME3 specifically, I think part of the problem is that the bar had been set so high throughout the first two games that the inconsistencies and annoyances of the last game feel even more unforgivable. That, and the crowbaring in of the multiplayer stuff for absolutely no reason from the player's perspective let it down, big time. If I want to endlessly hang around servers waiting for a group to fill up, or get repeatedly headshotted by a schoolchild with too much time on their hands, I can always re-install Counter-Strike, thanks.

Again, I'd stress that I think it's a great game, but not in the GotY category for me...

EDIT: Damn spelling!

Edited by Commander Keen at 15:12:26 04-12-2012

Edited by Commander Keen at 15:16:25 04-12-2012

Edited by Commander Keen at 15:21:42 04-12-2012
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 4 Dec 2012 15:12:23 6,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, the backlash it got was kind of funny. Seemed childish really.
  • Murbal 4 Dec 2012 15:16:15 21,560 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not about ME3 being a shooter, it's about not being a patch on ME2.
  • Commander Keen 4 Dec 2012 15:26:46 718 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Yeah, the backlash it got was kind of funny. Seemed childish really.
    Agreed. I didn't like the ending (I thought they dropped the ball on it), but I didn't complain either. They obviously told the story they wanted to tell, so it was pretty sad that they got pressured into backtracking on that and changing it.
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 15:31:40 27,197 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    vizzini wrote:Sorry LeolianBro, I take it back about XCOM, I was still blinded by all the FPS and EA games in the list. I do need to give it a try, as it might be brilliant.
    Wow, so you exclude games from your list based on preconceived notions about the game type or the publisher?
    You're speaking about someone who throws a fit whenever Digital Foundry say the PS3 version isn't better, are you really that surprised?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 15:39:03 27,197 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Widge

The thing is though, you can tighten mechanics without watering things down, and when you promise that choices matter (and I'm not talking about just the ending here), it will annoy people when they are ultimately just reduced to a number in a list. For me that's how ME3 ended up - a very polished game, but one which ultimately didn't follow through on its promises and felt progressively watered down across the length of the trilogy. But that's just my thoughts, and this isn't the ME3 thread so I'm leaving it there.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Stickman 4 Dec 2012 15:39:11 29,417 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    + nude mod

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• ZuluHero 4 Dec 2012 15:43:10 3,668 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its probably been said, but The Walking Dead for me!

Awesome series, gripping from start to finish and an emotional roller-coaster to boot.
  • monty_79 4 Dec 2012 15:45:04 8 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Xcom or Planetside 2. Both are magnificent.
  • Commander Keen 4 Dec 2012 15:54:48 718 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @Widge

The thing is though, you can tighten mechanics without watering things down, and when you promise that choices matter (and I'm not talking about just the ending here), it will annoy people when they are ultimately just reduced to a number in a list. For me that's how ME3 ended up - a very polished game, but one which ultimately didn't follow through on its promises and felt progressively watered down across the length of the trilogy. But that's just my thoughts, and this isn't the ME3 thread so I'm leaving it there.
    Yeah, I agree with this. And that's not to mention the general sloppiness in attempting to retro-engineer the plot for the final game in such a way that *didn't* take into account previous decisions. For instance - I made Anderson my ambassador at the end of ME1 and played with him in this role throughout ME2. Start ME3, and because it didn't suit the new narrative, Udina is ambassador again. That's just unforgivable in my opinion..
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 15:54:48 27,197 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Its probably been said, but The Walking Dead for me!

Awesome series, gripping from start to finish and an emotional roller-coaster to boot.
    I really need to play this. I tried the first episode but never got round to picking up the others. If the retail box is cheap I might just grab that.

• Widge Moderator 4 Dec 2012 15:57:50 12,612 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    First time around it felt a *lot* like dumbing down
    Yeah, the inventory needed addressing, but it got OVER addressed in ME2... to the point where I just picked a favoured setup and ran with that for the entire game. ME3 made things a bit better in that respect with the branching powers.

Once I started to think of the game as more of an Uncharted type experience, with a bit more scope for free roaming and player driven interaction, I was fine with it.

_ _ _

• RedSparrows 4 Dec 2012 15:58:04 20,765 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fez craps all over most of this year.
  • spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 15:58:11 27,197 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Commander Keen

Yeah, the Rachni as well. Killed her in ME1? Well never mind, here's another one just so it makes it easier for us to program to deal with both outcomes!

• neilka 4 Dec 2012 15:59:24 14,960 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    + nude mod
    +Savile DLC
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 16:01:38 55,992 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Stickman wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    + nude mod
    +Savile DLC
    + Frizl Dungeon map

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• spamdangled 4 Dec 2012 16:01:44 27,197 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Stickman wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    + nude mod
    +Savile DLC
    I preferred the Daily Mail expansion where you could demonise minorities and sims without a job.

• King_Edward 4 Dec 2012 16:07:15 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Fez craps all over most of this year.
    It wasn't that bad. :)
  • Page

of 8 First / Last