Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 8

• Page

of 31 First / Last

• Deleted user 18 November 2012 15:50:50
    Yeah, PCs are machined to sort of fit together, but quite often you need to apply the leverage of the screws to manipulate parts slightly so that they fit.

You may find the video card doesn't quite fit.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2012 17:20:45
    Try orientating your system to match the diagram of your motherboard at this link

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4144#ov

Then look at the top right (ATX) power connection and the one in the bottom middle of the diagram. These are the two connections to start with. Divide and conquer is the strategy.
  • MMMarmite 18 Nov 2012 17:22:43 1,081 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Start with the power cables as they're usually the hardest to manoeuvre and without power things won't work ;), you should have the big 24pin connector plus a 4/8 pin connector for the motherboard, then run one SATA power cable up the the DVD drive and another to the HDDs.

Then route SATA data cables from the DVD and HDDs to the motherboard, then the case cables to the correct motherboard headers and fans to their nearest connector then finally plug the Graphics card in and connect it to the PCIe power cable.

Boot it up and start installing :D
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 17:34:32 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got no idea what I'm doing far I've plugged both atx cables in, the CPU fan, the drives to the CPU and to sata 1,2 and 3 (ssd to 1 DVD to 2, hd to 3) and the case wire for USB to USB 1

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 17:37:32 18-11-2012

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 18 November 2012 17:37:45
    Your 3pin fans fit around just 3 of the four pins, however, unlike my Asus board that keys the connector, these seem to need a manual check. If connecting to bottom (edit:) right “fan2” it should be the 3 most left pins. No need to worry too much, as it will need to be a poor motherboard for a wrong fan connection to damage anything.

The smaller black connector near the lower memory module (and above the 24pin ATX power connector) should match the plug shape of the front panel usb 3 connector, and the top left connector marked Audio should match the pinout of the front panel audio (probably labelled HDA).

Bottom left corner is for the front panel lights/ switches and bios audio, check if you have an adapter with your motherboard you can connect to the loose leads and collectively attach to the motherboard.

Edited by vizzini at 17:37:57 18-11-2012

Edited by vizzini at 17:45:49 18-11-2012
  • superdelphinus 18 Nov 2012 17:49:23 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have you not got any instruction booklets with any of this stuff? I found putting all the bits together surprisingly simple, and I had virtually no experience
  • superdelphinus 18 Nov 2012 17:50:55 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Psu in. Checked Internet, psu coming back out to put fan face down
    Heh, been there. I ended up leaving it with the fan facing into the case though after a bit of research
  • MMMarmite 18 Nov 2012 17:51:01 1,081 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    There's two slots for the pic express on the gc do I just use one ? And the fans are confusing me. The rear fan has a large male and female 4 pin plugs and a smaller three pin m and f. I assume the male large 4 pin takes a lead off the psu but the little three pin where does that go ? The socket that says CPU fan on the mobo is 4 pin
    The fan connectors should have 2 small notches on them to line up and surround the 1 notch on the motherboard connectors, there's a connector labelled FAN3 for the rear fan.

As for the Graphics card, you should have it in the uppermost PCIe slot. Depending on the card it'll have either 1 or 2 black 6 pin connectors, if it has 2 make sure you use both the PCIe connectors from your PSU or you'll risk the PC cutting out when the graphics card is under load.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2012 17:59:05
    I just (Ctrl+) zoomed the popout motherboard diagram, and I can make out that the fan sockets are correctly notched/keyed, so as MMMarmite said, attach them to the closest labelled fan sockets for the case fans.

Your graphic card needs to go in the socket closest to the CPU, the one marked PCIEX16/Pci express 3.0.
  • RobTheBuilder 18 Nov 2012 18:00:41 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @INSOMANiAC had that exact issue with my current pc. The psu instructions were really unclear.
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:09:29 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Okay it's all in place. I've powered it up, all the fans spin, the graphics card shows two green lights. DVD is opening. I changed the ssd to the 6gbs slot I assume that's right. I have a twin audio cable one says Realtek the other hd audio which do I plug in ?

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• RobTheBuilder 18 Nov 2012 18:17:44 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does the case not say? Usually they tell you where the USB/sockets for the case should plug in
  • Deleted user 18 November 2012 18:18:29
    @INSOMANiAC

One of the audio leads might be for older style video cards, where you connect to an SPDIF header on the motherboard and attach it to a header on the video card so that it can carry audio via hdmi/DVI-to-hdmi leads. Or it might just be a physical way of choosing either AC97 analogy audio for the front panel, or HD Audio.

How are you intending to use the front-audio connections? And when you powered up, did the bios post correctly?

Not sure about about the front panel SATA, I will try check the case manual.
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:22:41 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok all done I pray. Still concerned the fans have left over plugs but getting bored now so going to plug her in then try and figure out why it won't work. Wish me luck !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:32:04 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:32:10 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:32:16 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:32:22 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:32:33 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:32:52 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    powered it up. No picture. Oh joy of joys.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• BeebleB 18 Nov 2012 18:37:49 975 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    are you connecting the hdmi cable to the port on the back of the graphics card and not the one on the motherboard?

Psn - Emperorzaphod
    Steam - Emperorzaphod
    Wii U - sirzapalot

• Deleted user 18 November 2012 18:46:30
    Verify that the ATX motherboard power connectors are in correctly and that the GPU power connectors are in correctly. Disconnect all HDD, DVD Sata leads for now, and make sure you are into the primary DVI port of the GPU(check manual if the card has any install quirks).

On the previous stuff.
    Just checked the case and it appears to be slightly older technology than I expected. It doesn't have USB3.0, so scratch any of that stuff I said earlier. It lists the I/O Panel as:
    USB 2.0 x 2, e-SATA x1,Audio x 1, Mic x 1

So they are AC97 headphone and mic connections, and e-sata can be connected to any of the Marvel controllers motherboard SATA ports, but you need to have the controller port it goes into set for AHCI if wanting to hotplug a sata device through it. When the controller is in RAID mode, you can still usually specify devices as ACHI(I can on my board), or if not using RAID set the entire controller to AHCI (instead of IDE mode)
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:48:04 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was in the mobo one. Plugged it in gpu one still no joy. Everything powers up and the keyboard lights up caps lock etc works but no picture

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:49:42 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tried it again in the gpu one we have a picture !!!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Maturin 18 Nov 2012 18:53:22 3,147 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Tried it again in the gpu one we have a picture !!!
    My mobo automatically switches the GPU in the CPU off if you have a PCI-E graphics card fitted.

However in the Bios (I know it's not bios but you know what I mean!) I can re-enable it and choose to use it at the same time as PCI-E graphics.
  • Deleted user 18 November 2012 18:55:00
    If you have an old VGA lead, try use that instead for reliability while setting up.

Dvi to hdmi leads are shockingly unreliable. Mine needs rung out all the time. Make sure it is a nice smooth path for the cable between the monitor and PC (if using dvi to hdmi), no sharp bends in the cable.
  • INSOMANiAC 18 Nov 2012 18:58:07 3,841 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice one. Didnt get an option to go to bios kept telling me to insert a boot disc in. Stuck windows DVD in and it's installing 'although stuck on expanding windows files 0% at the moment )

Only have me the option of 1 hard drive to install to as well think it was the old school one as it 1860 something's in size. The ssd is only 120gb maybe I have it plugged in the wrong slot

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 18 November 2012 19:00:25
    Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot, then press F8 (according to manual) should get you into the bios.

Edited by vizzini at 19:02:36 18-11-2012
  • Maturin 18 Nov 2012 19:02:06 3,147 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't wait for an option. Power on. Then press DELETE every second or so and you'll get there.
  • Page

of 31 First / Last