From now on I'll just download the games to save me the hassle that IS DRM Page 6

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Next
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Nov 2012 15:58:51 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PenguinJim I'm not sure what you think I missed tbh.
  • Deleted user 12 November 2012 16:08:20
    The thing is, the big companies aren't really that stupid. They're not blind to the fact that people hate DRM. But DRM is not, and never has been, designed to stop piracy completely. The goal was always to stop/delay/make difficult day-zero/one piracy, which causes a number of casual pirates to buy it instead of downloading it, as they want to play it at the same time as everyone else. The whole "fear of missing out syndrome" or whatever the ludicrous term is for it.

Hence it's always a risk assessment - if DRM pisses off X amount of people but results in Y recovered sales, if Y is greater than X then it's worth it. Of course, those numbers are always guesstimates, but still. No company is retarded enough to think that their games will be 100% protected.

When people look at torrent stats or whatever as some sort of proof for/against DRM, they're looking at a snapshot moment, when they really need to be looking at a graph of time vs torrents against time vs sales. Except they don't really exist because companies don't generally release stats like that.

Basically, most people look at the situation in an entirely wrong way.

Edited by meme at 16:08:51 12-11-2012
  • RobTheBuilder 12 Nov 2012 16:12:03 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Indeed. It's all about that launch period, which is why pre-release piracy is the most damaging of all.

I still don't think that DRM has much of a positive effect on sales at all, especially not outside of that launch window.

One thing people like EA should note is that restricting a game to Origin rather than allowing it on Steam probably doesn't help their cause.
  • bigbandluva 12 Nov 2012 16:38:57 28 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok, haven't been able to get the game started yet. This is bullshit.

At first, the Windows Live inlog prompt that shows up in the game's title screen told me the activation code was wrong, the same code that I used during installation with no problem. Although I've already activated the game once with the exact same code, the bullshittery known no limit as this foul, foul software apparently does anything in it's power to fuck with me.

Someone suggests that I'll could try updating this Windows Live Marketplace bullshit, but that only brings up more problems since the Windows Live bullshit isn't even showing up in the game menu when I do.

I'm sick and tired of this shit, so I ended up downloading a crack just to get the friggin game started. What the fuck is this GFWL shit anyway, and why is it still being pushed by MS considering how much hate they seem to get?

I know for sure I won't be buying another games for windows live game again. I will not endorse this stupid shit.
  • bigbandluva 12 Nov 2012 16:42:48 28 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Why am I even spending half my post complaining about yet another MS shit software when I bought a game published by someone completely else?
  • Deleted user 12 November 2012 16:52:44
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    One thing people like EA should note is that restricting a game to Origin rather than allowing it on Steam probably doesn't help their cause.
    Except for the 30%-cost extra they make on every sale and the additional control and less reliance on a third party.
  • jellyhead 12 Nov 2012 16:52:51 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GFWL was Microsoft trying to stay relevant in the PC gaming community aside from providing an OS for us to run games on. It was supposed to work like Steam or Origin but as you have seen for some reason Microsoft couldn't actually make a decent client. Yeah, Microsoft on their own OS with their own APIs couldn't write a working client! ffs!

You're not missing much as it has a habit or eating save-games and going into update loops. I didn't bother with it when i played Fallout 3 i just put it into offline mode as i don't give a rat's ass about achievements.

The worst game so far for me was GTAIV! Login to Steam, launch game, login to GFWL then login to Rockstar Social Club. 3 bloody logins to play a game.

GFWL. It's shit.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• RobTheBuilder 12 Nov 2012 16:56:03 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Aargh. Of course, but I hazard that a fair number of people won't buy it on Origin.
  • Deleted user 12 November 2012 17:01:56
    I hazard a fair few won't buy it on steam.
  • Clive_Dunn 12 Nov 2012 20:25:46 4,788 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    How is that ripping off the devs? Retailers purchase stock in advance. Once it's in a shop, the publisher has already been paid.
    You'd like to think so, but its rarely the case these days. Extended payment terms and regular deductions for expected future returns and price protections means the publisher has often only gets paid long after the consumer sale.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Next