From now on I'll just download the games to save me the hassle that IS DRM

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • bigbandluva 12 Nov 2012 02:06:57 28 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PC gaming has lost yet another buying customer.

Was at the videostore earlier today for some ciggs, but knowing that my internet at home was going to be down I thought why not buy myself a nice game that'll keep me entertained during the night? Said and done, I picked up Bulletstorm at a decent price. Always wanted to play it but never got around to it. Loved Painkiller.

Got home, and the internet was down, as expected. But who cares, I've got a new great game to play! Not!

Install the shite, and when I try to open up MY game which I PURCHASED with MY MONEY the little greedy fucker asks me to connect to the internet to "activate" my product, and makes it very clear to me that I wont be enjoying MY GAME as long as the internet is down. How fucking stupid is this shit? I buy this game, but I'm denied access to it?

Are the days really gone when you could just purchase a game, bring it home, install it and play it? Who is this twat that thinks that I canntot, infact, enjoy my game in solitude and peace, without any stupid tripe such as Games for Windows Live and constant internet connection? I deliberately handed you dicks over some of my cash, and I regret doing so.

The thing that makes me even more mad is the fact that I would've avoided all of these problems if I were to simply downloading it, free of charge. I know I'm not the first one to make this remark, but something is seriously fucked up when the buying customer gets a product that's worse than the one you find for free on TPB, isn't it? What the fuck is wrong with PC gaming?
  • ibenam 12 Nov 2012 04:22:36 1,344 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cool story bro
  • Raiko101 12 Nov 2012 04:24:38 6,055 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's publishers for you. If they could do it on consoles they would. Doesn't justify theft though. Even if you're stealing from a massively wealthy company.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Deleted user 12 November 2012 04:29:40
    For what it's worth, Bulletstorm is a pain in the fucking arse, but you can play it offline with an offline Live profile, but it's fiddly and awkward and probably not worth bothering with anyway. But yeah, this is big publishing PC Gaming. It's not as bad as it was a couple of years ago (like Ubi's must-be-connected-100%-through-the-entire-game stuff), but it's still mostly shit and annoying. In fact I think it's mostly EA who fuck stuff like that up nowadays.
  • Tonka 12 Nov 2012 06:33:27 20,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought Steam was the solution to all this.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Zizoo 12 Nov 2012 07:44:44 8,096 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    While I don't condone piracy, I do feel for those without an internet connection. Here in South Africa we get every game, but not everyone has an internet connection.

Activating games aside, they miss out on patches etc which these days are needed day 1 for most games.
  • superdelphinus 12 Nov 2012 08:02:02 8,016 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Surely you generally need an Internet connection to pirate software?
  • Deleted user 12 November 2012 08:05:16
    Lesson: read the box and the requirements.

Piracy magically making your Internet connection good is impressive.
  • lordofthedunce 12 Nov 2012 08:06:35 375 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd tether my phone if I was in that situation.
  • Deleted user 12 November 2012 08:08:09
    And since when do videostores sell cigarettes?
  • bad09 12 Nov 2012 08:14:02 5,623 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I thought Steam was the solution to all this.
    Internet DRM with some cool features is not the solution to internet DRM ;) GOG is the real solution but no publisher wants that solution because DRM is about control of customers not piracy.

To the OP, just don't spend too much on gaming is the simple answer. DRMs and account gaming drastically reduced my spend since coming over to PC, they are lucky to get a tenner and normally get a fiver these days.

You could pirate and personally I wouldn't blame or judge you, it's something I've considered myself especially when stuck to install a game I've bought like you were, but the problem is the arses that we call publishers and devs just use your download stat as a loose make believe "stealing" lost sale to validate the pissing over legal customers. They still win and the paying customers still lose.

It's a crap industry these days so let your spend reflect that, buy VERY cheaply or not at all is my method of protest (I have not bought a game at full price, or even close to it, in years). Sadly you just have to just let them continue with the destruction of ownership and the internet obsession until you cannot stomach their shit anymore. No point complaining about it either as not many are too bothered about their customers views on products unless it's about how their game is the bestest.

Edited by bad09 at 08:18:40 12-11-2012
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 08:18:39 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @bigbandluva

I'm going to say this as simply as I can.

You. Are. Not. Entitled. To. Play. Something. Just. Because. You. Want. To.

P.S - Learn to read the fucking box.

Edited by darkmorgado at 08:20:42 12-11-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 08:19:38 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    While I don't condone piracy, I do feel for those without an internet connection. Here in South Africa we get every game, but not everyone has an internet connection.

Activating games aside, they miss out on patches etc which these days are needed day 1 for most games.
    Patches have been around for decades.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 08:19:58 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted

• spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 08:20:52 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fix.

• Moot_Point 12 Nov 2012 08:50:41 3,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @bigbandluva

What a cuntish thing to say.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Deleted user 12 November 2012 08:57:13
    That had to be sarcasm though, surely.
  • Tonka 12 Nov 2012 08:58:38 20,010 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• bad09 12 Nov 2012 08:58:59 5,623 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think he referring to the piracy not the fact the guy bought a game and couldn't play it, DM hates those evil pirates that eat babies.
  • kalel 12 Nov 2012 09:00:37 86,261 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Slightly cuntily put, but the basic principle is correct.

We wouldn't be in this situation with DRM if people hadn't been pirating so much in the first place. The companies that use these kind of measures know that they're not making their games available to people without internet connections, and yet they do it anyway, as it's still worth it. They're sacrificing customers knowingly to protect their profits. They don't want to do that, but they feel they have to. It's unfortunate, but there it is. That's the situation that pirates have created. If you feel that becoming a pirate is justified because of that situation, you've got some twisted logic.
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 09:01:32 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    I think he referring to the piracy not the fact the guy bought a game and couldn't play it, DM hates those evil pirates that eat babies.
    Pretty much.

Though it takes a special kind of idiot to buy a game that has GFW Live and Internet Connection Required slapped all over the fucking box and then be surprised when they need to use GFW Live and connect to the internet to play it.

• Shikasama 12 Nov 2012 09:03:04 6,603 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @bigbandluva

You. Are. Not. Entitled. To. Play. Something. Just. Because. You. Buy. It.

Was his point.
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 09:04:53 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @bigbandluva

You. Are. Not. Entitled. To. Play. Something. Just. Because. You. Buy. It.

Was his point.
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Though it takes a special kind of idiot to buy a game that has GFW Live and Internet Connection Required slapped all over the fucking box and then be surprised when they need to use GFW Live and connect to the internet to play it.

• bad09 12 Nov 2012 09:08:43 5,623 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:

Pretty much.

Well yes and no. It may be he didn't realise his internet connection has become a utilty for PC gaming. There are people out there that don't buy many games. A lot of people don't know what GFWL is believe it or not.

It's all good blaming consumer ignorance but at the end of the day it's fucking retarded to chain simple video game products to a luxury service like the internet in the first place.
  • spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 09:10:04 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And it isn't retarded to buy a PC game without checking whether or not you will be able to run it?

• Moot_Point 12 Nov 2012 09:13:11 3,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    oi wrote:
    Well the crux of the OP's argument was about him buying a disc ;) based game that required an internet connection. Not downloading a copy from the pirate bay. So, saying that he wasn't allowed to play it as and when he wants is a bit cuntish, no?

Edited by Moot_Point at 09:13:35 12-11-2012

================================================================================

• skuzzbag 12 Nov 2012 09:14:05 5,636 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @bigbandluva

You simplified that to the point that it's too ambiguous to make sense.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Nov 2012 09:15:03 6,950 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Me, I completely understand why he'd go to piracy after this. True story: Dillinger started robbing banks because he got shitty at having to wait in line one day. Totally understandable.
  • Moot_Point 12 Nov 2012 09:15:57 3,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    And it isn't retarded to buy a PC game without checking whether or not you will be able to run it?
    Well yes. However in the OP's defence, its not really made clear on the back of the case, but in small letters on the back. So in fairness it is easy to miss.

• spamdangled 12 Nov 2012 09:16:58 27,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    oi wrote:
    Well the crux of the OP's argument was about him buying a disc ;) based game that required an internet connection. Not downloading a copy from the pirate bay. So, saying that he wasn't allowed to play it as and when he wants is a bit cuntish, no?
    If you buy something, completely ignoring the system requirements that are clearly stated on the box, then moan that you can't run it (which you would have known had you checked the box), and then try to use your own idiocy to justify becoming a pirate - then no, I don't think I was being cuntish at all.

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous