Kettle of Fish: Which online multiplayer game takes the most skill?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • RelaxedMikki 9 Nov 2012 21:32:20 927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    OK. Boasting time. I just went 12:2 in a game of Black Ops. But I am rubbish and I was drunk. I watched the game back in theatre and most of the kills seemed liked 50:50s that happened to go my way.

So which online multiplayer games do we reckon take the most skill? (which I guess means which games have the least flukey wins, or allow the best players to win most consistently).

I guess games where there is no player interaction (like Trials) don't count. And racing games must be pretty consistent. But which shooters? Or is it a strategy game? Or something?

I reckon Gears Of War 3. But I may well be wrong. Battlefield rewards teamwork. There's definatly rewards for insane reactions in COD. And Halo rewards consistent shot placement. Maybe FIFA or PES?

What do you think? (I only know Xbox, but I am sure PC players will know about Counter Strike etc and PS3 players will have others)
  • FuzzyDuck 9 Nov 2012 21:38:08 3,901 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's near impossible to get flukey wins in most 2D beat 'em ups (especially KoF XIII and Blazblue), and Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown will always see a victory for outwitting your opponent.

I don't think any type of game necessarily takes more skill, as they use different skillsets.
  • SolidSCB 9 Nov 2012 21:41:46 6,404 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Online chess.
  • MatMan562 9 Nov 2012 21:42:24 2,313 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've been playing a lot of Halo 4 and i'd say that has to be close. Whenever I die I feel like it's my own fault for not being good enough rather than blaming the game itself.

I'd imagine some kind of strategy game would take the most skill though.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Moot_Point 9 Nov 2012 21:43:58 3,917 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You must be drunk, boasting about a 12:2 on CoD! n00b!1!!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• RelaxedMikki 9 Nov 2012 21:45:17 927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Good answer. I hadn't thought of beat-em-ups.

The proper players will own any flowchart Ken or hadouken spammer every time.

I guess that's why the games are so intimidating to beginners.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 21:46:48
    To be awesome at bf3 you need to be versatile and have all round skill where games like cod you mainly just need excellent aiming.

2d beat em ups.
  • heyyo 9 Nov 2012 21:52:47 14,374 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The original Unreal Tournament PC, using a ball mouse.
  • RelaxedMikki 9 Nov 2012 21:53:42 927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah. Online chess would be pretty fair!

I guess this is more a qestion about bad netcode, lag, host advantage, bloom, loadouts, uneven spawns and all the other bad stufff that can unbalance a skill game really... Maybe...

If you are a PC gamer do you ever feel like you got killed because your framerate was only 60 fps? Or because you didn't have enough pixels?

I've started blaming the slow refresh rate on my LG tv for my Halo deaths recently!
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 9 Nov 2012 21:55:26 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    virtua fighter. no flukes if someone is good
  • RelaxedMikki 9 Nov 2012 22:20:26 927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @facepalm Yeah. That's true. I am not a competitive person by nature and only play for fun.

But I do remember once getting so pissed off in MW2 (which was the only game in which I ever felt myself guarding a kill:Death ratio) that I traded the game in the next day. I had emptied a whole clip into an enemy with no effect and he then turned round and shot me. Obviously, the kill-cam told a different story. I was quite upset at the time!

Since then I have come to realise that the difficult business of netcode and host-compensation and all that maths-genius-developer stuff means that there will be these situations.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 22:20:53
    Counter Strike or Quake 2

Edited by CrispyXUK at 22:21:17 09-11-2012
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next