Games made in black and white? (can you add more to the list?) Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• santashi 6 Nov 2012 14:53:29 5,147 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, Uncharted definitely had the option.

Not sure if Dokuro counts as B&W+colour, since the gameworld and main character are mainly black and white when in skeleton form. There is definitely some colour in it though.

Edit: Here's a video if that helps at all.

Edited by santashi at 14:59:26 06-11-2012

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• andytheadequate 6 Nov 2012 14:54:39 8,219 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Edit - phone being shit

Edited by andytheadequate at 14:57:13 06-11-2012
  • redalien 6 Nov 2012 14:55:21 21 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine When I said "a research paper" I should have probably added that it is for university, where I am studying a graphic design. I am sorry if I mislead you in any way.

PS. well - it's not only about ones you played but also about ones you may know - I know many games, but have played just few (compared to the ones I know).
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 6 Nov 2012 14:56:20 6,652 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    just being bitchy, ignore me
  • GiarcYekrub 6 Nov 2012 14:57:45 3,782 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Steamboat Willy level of Mickey Mania on the Snes was pretty well done
  • smoothpete 6 Nov 2012 14:57:55 31,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We could count the "Death From Above" level in the first Modern Warfare
  • Fake_Blood 6 Nov 2012 14:59:22 4,221 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    The Steamboat Willy level of Mickey Mania on the Snes was pretty well done
    Isn't that in epic mickey too?
  • mrpon 6 Nov 2012 15:08:49 28,986 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't the first Painkiller go B&W in deathmode or whatever it was.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• johnson81 6 Nov 2012 15:23:12 379 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Climax Moto GP games had a B/W filter also I believe. Also didn't Comix Zone on the MD have a section that was B/W until you defeated some character?
  • bad09 6 Nov 2012 16:11:49 5,954 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not really a good thing but if you played Splinter Cell Conviction actually as a stealth game you spent most of it in black and white.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 6 Nov 2012 17:20:12 294 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's an indie 2D Shooter on 360 called 'Vorpal' which is in Black, White and Red. It has a nice aesthetic to it:

For what it's worth I really like the colour shifting theme in The Saboteur. Not really got into the game itself much but a nice idea all the same.

There's also the 'Tranquility Lane' section in Fallout 3 where you're stuck in a virtual reality machine. That's in greys from what I remember and it added a nice change of atmosphere to that piece.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 17:26:16 06-11-2012

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 17:31:27 06-11-2012
  • jonsaan 6 Nov 2012 17:32:42 25,353 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rocky on the spectrum.
    Shift extended on PsP minis
    Lots of the ultimate play the game games are monochrome.
    Penetrator on the Spectrum
    Original space invaders
    Pong
    Space wars
    Asteroids
    All Vectrex games

FCUTA!

• mal 6 Nov 2012 17:33:57 22,605 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If this is a formal paper, it may be worth differentiating between black & white (two colour) and monochrome (black, white and grey), as in the field of computer graphics at least they're different things. Black and white movies are monochrome not black and white to a scientist. You could just replace b+w with monochrome in your text though, as b+w is a subset of monochrome.

Does make it a bit more complicated for games like Vorpal though, which seems to be black & white + various shades of red.

I don't have any games to add to your list though, sorry.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• jonsaan 6 Nov 2012 17:35:19 25,353 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't read the brief properly did I?

Shift Extended still stands though!
    MadWorld on the Wii?

FCUTA!

• mal 6 Nov 2012 17:38:38 22,605 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Was the original BBC version of Elite black and white?
    Nope, although the play field was. The control panel was (iirc) four colour though. The Acorn Electron version apparently was B+W all through, though I guess that was because of technical difficulties timing the mode switch on the slower hardware.

• -cerberus- 6 Nov 2012 17:47:39 2,936 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was very much looking forward to Sadness for Nintendo Wii but it was cancelled :(

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• redalien 6 Nov 2012 18:54:27 21 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    We could count the "Death From Above" level in the first Modern Warfare
    at first I was laughing, but then gave a few seconds of thought to it..and came to conclusion if to position it as BnW required for the feel of reality (i.e. - seeing in infrared) then it counts!
  • redalien 6 Nov 2012 19:11:48 21 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mal wrote:
    If this is a formal paper, it may be worth differentiating between black & white (two colour) and monochrome (black, white and grey), as in the field of computer graphics at least they're different things. Black and white movies are monochrome not black and white to a scientist. You could just replace b+w with monochrome in your text though, as b+w is a subset of monochrome.

Does make it a bit more complicated for games like Vorpal though, which seems to be black & white + various shades of red.

thanks for pointing it out! so I should call it "... games with monochromatic visuals..." ? to generalize it as much as possible?

and...for "Vorpal" and games with some additional color it might be... "B+W and shades of XXX color"? (Madworld then is this one too)
  • Deleted user 6 November 2012 19:25:34
    The Noir segment in Spiderman Shattered Dimensions was black and white as far as I can remember.

Could have being sepia though.
  • redalien 6 Nov 2012 20:28:29 21 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    updated list with the latest additions! Thanks!

The Noir segment in Spiderman Shattered Dimensions was black and white as far as I can remember.

Could have being sepia though.
    Sepia it was ;)
  • Kostabi 6 Nov 2012 20:36:30 4,932 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saboteur?

I suppose it straddles the line of not quite being monochrome or full colour but I liked the effect.

edit: and now having read the OP with care I see it was already mentioned. My bad.

Edited by Kostabi at 20:37:34 06-11-2012
  • pinebear 6 Nov 2012 20:46:49 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    May have been posted in one of the other response threads, red, but there's a category list on Giant Bomb which may give you some ideas

www.giantbomb.com/black-and-white/92-2863/games

• tuff 6 Nov 2012 21:11:04 625 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Err.....Ikaruga (dreamcast, gamecube, xbla) has the entire play system based on black and white.

Unless I've totally missed something but I can't believe it's not been suggested yet.

Edited by tuff at 21:12:34 06-11-2012
  • mrpon 6 Nov 2012 21:19:57 28,986 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've totally missed something.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Beetroot_Bertie 6 Nov 2012 21:34:23 294 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If Ikaruga is considered applicable due to it's polarity switching gameplay then I guess Silhouette Mirage should also be counted.

Outland is also a good example of it used for gameplay. I've just finished it recently and found it stunning and really enjoyable.

Would Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver count too? You have to switch between realms throughout the game. Prey, with it's spirit walk?

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 21:41:22 06-11-2012
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 6 Nov 2012 22:35:30 7,012 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Space Invaders: Infinity Gene?
  • robthehermit 6 Nov 2012 22:44:33 4,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was Dishwasher black and white or is my mind playing tricks on me?

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• mal 7 Nov 2012 03:34:03 22,605 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    redalien wrote:
    mal wrote:

thanks for pointing it out! so I should call it "... games with monochromatic visuals..." ? to generalize it as much as possible?
    Well afaik 'chroma' is limited to visuals, so 'monochromatic games' should be specific enough, but then you never know what tutors will pick up on.

and...for "Vorpal" and games with some additional color it might be... "B+W and shades of XXX color"? (Madworld then is this one too)
    I've not seen Madworld in action, but yes in the video of Vorpal I spotted of light shades of red (red->pink) and dark shades (red->maroon), so I'd say black, white and shades of red would cover it. In videos on Unfinished Swan though, I've seen black, white and plain yellow, though I've not seen later levels (no spoilers please ;) so perhaps it's more than those three colours (and perhaps there are shades of yellow - I may be misremembering).

• Raiko101 7 Nov 2012 04:14:58 6,341 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Was Dishwasher black and white or is my mind playing tricks on me?
    It kinda had very faint water colour effect. Shades of blue, red and brown.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• JinTypeNoir 7 Nov 2012 08:06:58 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone mentioned Shifting World yet? I believe it was originally was a web game, but it also has a much expanded 3DS version, so I think it should count, because unless something happens in the later levels that I don't know about its all in black and white.

Also what about Echochrome's spiritual prequel Intelligent License? That game had a grey man, a black world and gray-scale blocks with very little color elements.

The most notable old game I can think of is The Fool's Errand, an old and legendary PC puzzle game. You may think it was made in black and white because of limitations, but it seems like it was a lucky accident and the creator liked it so he made it purposely that way and didn't like the later color editions that popped up.

There are two Japanese classics that were intentionally black and white even in the 80s. The first is the visual novel The Dome about an apocalypse and survival, and the second, is Give My Love to Casablanca - Murder Transcends Time, a time traveling murder mystery adventure game.

As for games that are partially in black and white, N's levels are in gray tones with its level elements only occasionally in color and Kingdom Hearts II's Steamboat Willie stage The Timeless River is notable as well, because just about everything is in black and white.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 08:11:14 07-11-2012
  • Page

of 3 First / Last