Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • trotskyicepick 31 Oct 2012 09:48:11 349 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Square Enix is remaking Dragon Quest VII for Nintendo 3DS. ArtePiazza, the studio that handled Dragon Quest VII and the DS remakes, is developing Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden for the Nintendo 3DS. Good news for JRPG fans! Will be released February 7, 2013 in Japan.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/10/30/dragon-quest-vii-remake-coming-to-3ds-on-february-7/
  • Humperfunk 31 Oct 2012 09:53:35 2,289 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Superb stuff :)

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• JinTypeNoir 10 Nov 2012 08:33:58 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you're looking for a brilliant time sink that will last you well into next decade, there is no currently no comparison to this game on the 3DS. I think this one might possibly be the longest RPG ever made.
  • Zackv4861 10 Nov 2012 09:12:11 1,098 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tales of the Abyss!

Edited by Zackv4861 at 09:12:24 10-11-2012
  • JinTypeNoir 10 Nov 2012 09:16:35 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are you saying that Tales of the Abyss is the longest? It's long certainly, but it isn't even the longest Tales game. Dragon Quest VII is about twice as long if you took the minimum route to the end.
  • trotskyicepick 14 Nov 2012 18:55:18 349 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    looks beautiful

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/14/dragon-quest-vii-remake-screenshots-show-off-the-new-3d-graphics/
  • Raiko101 15 Nov 2012 03:21:47 6,417 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wow. That looks great! I really hope we get it here.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• trotskyicepick 28 Nov 2012 18:27:17 349 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More screens

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/28/dragon-quest-vii-screenshots-have-enemies-characters-and-more/

Looks fantastic so far
  • trotskyicepick 7 Dec 2012 08:43:10 349 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    no random encounters

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/06/dragon-quest-viis-3ds-remake-has-visible-encounters-instead-of-random-battles/
  • JinTypeNoir 10 Dec 2012 01:30:26 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who wrote that article? I know its Siliconera, not a big, flashy famous media site, but seriously? Its very clear that they took the Famitsu article on this and tried to translate it with a vague grasp of Japanese. Dragon Quest did not drop random battles when it merged with Enix, Dragon Quest VII was not the last game with random battles, the monsters they say are new were in the original version of the game and that line about each monster have unique animations and attacks? In an RPG, you don't say?

Seriously, its nice that they are translating news, but at least do it correctly?
  • trotskyicepick 10 Dec 2012 12:05:56 349 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Better coverage than Eurogamer though. If you find any better translated news about the game please post it Jin.
  • Raiko101 11 Dec 2012 17:02:17 6,417 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We're not going to see this game until next christmas, are we? It's going to be a long, long wait. :(

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• trotskyicepick 14 Dec 2012 09:37:52 349 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    trailer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fukW1J0wWzQ
  • Deleted user 16 December 2012 10:48:43
    Raiko101 wrote:
    We're not going to see this game until next christmas, are we? It's going to be a long, long wait. :(
    That's pretty optimistic. If the last few Dragon Quests are anything to go by we won't see it until 2014.
  • uiruki 30 Jan 2013 11:59:33 3,708 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This will be a day 1 digital download on the Japanese eshop. Great news for importers. Like me!
  • JinTypeNoir 7 Feb 2013 05:22:34 4,392 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bought the game at BIC and with my points got it for only 3800 yen! YAY! That's probably the price it will be used a year from now!

Let's see:

-No manual, just an unfolding paper insert, codes for Club Nintendo and Square Members and a 20 day free extension on Dragon Quest X. There's also no special art for the holes in the packaging. Cheapskates. The digital manual is adequate for explaining the basics of the game, but not as thorough and charming and filled with incidental art and thick as I like my Dragon Quest manuals to be. The 3DS splash screen is the first few bars of the "Start a New Adventure Book" theme.

-When you boot it up, the classic Dragon Quest theme plays in full orchestra and a new 3D interaction zooms in to a very beautifully 3Dified version of the old logo. Beats the old FMV boot up sequences by miles, but curiously the music is missing from the FMV story opening sequence. It's no secret that the hilarious low quality FMV is gone too, and the 3D graphics are better than the FMV of 13 years ago, but gone are the zoom-ins to the castle and the forest, the child's toys washing up in the sand, the main character's newt jumping out of the hole before he does and the robins flying in between the trees. I don't really mind, but there was something wonderfully melancholy about the old sequence.

-After that, its pretty much the same in terms of story progression, except that event scenes now happen in Dragon Quest IX-like zoomed in scenes where the characters animate. A soldier solutes, Maribel curtsies and a guy eats his anchovy sandwich. It's a distinct improvement on the original, which had little to no animation of the sprites. Just like the earlier DS ports and remakes, the action happens on the top screen and the bottom screen has a beautifully hand-drawn map of the current area. You can switch to town information in towns or a larger map in the overworld with the Y button. There are also settings for volume of music and sound effects, level of 3D in battles and two camera settings for overworld travel. As well, in the history section of the menu, you can access a summary of what's happened so far, either your current event or read all the events up to what's happened now in a chapter divided list. This is also very detailed and excellent addition seeing as how Dragon Quest VII is longer and more complex than the Bible. It's kind of cool how you can now see every separately modeled dish in dishcases or how they took the time to actually paint in paintings in houses (the model ship in Amit's House now actually looks as impressive as the description made it sound), there are also a lot of new character models and your character model can be rotated while you equip things, and things in their hands actually show up on the character in battle like VIII.

-Overworld travel! Oh my lordy mordy special gordy in a morgue-y! It's basically Dragon Quest VIII. Whereas towns (and I'm assuming dungeons) take on a view in between VIII's behind the character camera and IX's overhead camera, the overworld is pure VIII, right down to the incredibly epic vistas. The first island alone feels huge and they have recreated all the sights and sounds in glorious 3DS 3D as well as even added some secrets and doo-dads that weren't in the original. If you've never played Dragon Quest VIII, then its probably hard to understand how excited I am, but imagine Dragon Quest VIII's world and then expand by four or five times. VII's world is MUCH huger than VIII's and I cannot believe they actually took the time to recreate it full scale from scratch.

Otherwise, I've only just gotten to the second town, so its still early days, but I cannot wait to explore this massive game.

OH MY! THAT WORLD MAP! JESUS CHRIST!
  • uiruki 7 Feb 2013 09:51:33 3,708 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played the first hour or so of this. Would have been more, as it turns out that Nintendo update the eshop at midnight Japan time, but I was busy and didn't expect it to be available.

I think the one word that describes my impression of DQ7 so far, after only managing to get through 10 hours of the super dry English translation of the PS1 game, is detail. It really shows off what the 3DS can do, with lots of colour and detail, though in 2D mode it does choke up a bit at times. Characters are bright and bold, and they make me wish that the resolution on the 3DS was higher.

What's really gripped me so far, though, is the sheer panache with which the world is put together. Talking to people in town is interesting, relevant and often funny, slapping vases into pieces is fun and just exploring and trying to interact with stuff often gets you items or funny lines (looking in a mirror caught me off guard at one point!). It's fun to potter around the town, and I don't normally enjoy RPGs with heavy town interaction.

Special mention goes out to the music, too. Too many games nowadays have orchestral scores which frankly sound boring and forgettable, just a dirge rumbling along under the action. Like the western DQ8, this version has a rearranged soundtrack recorded by an orchestra, and it sounds terrific. The recording quality is high as well - I was worried that it might have been compressed to hell and back, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm really itching to get back into it and keep on exploring. The game so far has done a really good job of giving you little rewards for going off the beaten track.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next