DOTA 2 Page 13

• Page

of 56 First / Last

• RedSparrows 30 Jul 2013 15:15:39 22,070 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I find the UI and zoom level restrictive, but it's clearly that way to enforce mini-map awareness etc. Or so I feel. I'd rather see more, but can see why it's as it is.
  • Fat_Pigeon 30 Jul 2013 15:19:06 9,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    Tried out Lycanthrope. I bloody love him. Wolves to chase down enemies, some decent items and I could gank 3 heroes including Tidehunter, Nightmare and Luna all at once using my ultimate shapeshifting form.

Lots of +crit % and +crit dmg make him a hero to be reckoned with.

In the same match was with Spirit Breaker (19 kills vs medium bots). That guy is unstoppable. Him and me soloed Roshan about 30min into the game together. Him to tank and my wolves and me to nuke Roshan.
    wait till you find the lvl 1 rosh combos.
  • Fat_Pigeon 30 Jul 2013 15:24:02 9,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    rivuzu wrote:
    @shamblemonkee No, nor am I. I'm just bringing 6+ years of Dota 1 and Dota 2 experience and trying to explain things as best I can because I can see a lot of misconceptions and incorrect things being said here.

Micro is something I still struggle with. Some people can do it, others can't. I was Silver league in SC2 for a reason!

Honestly anyone can be a carry. I've successfully ran Disruptor as a carry before now (get Mjolnir, go full Thor mode on people). Everything is reliant on the team though. If you can have someone pull off a 3 man Enigma Black Hole, a Dark Seer Vacuuming the other 2 into it to disable their entire team, Wall of Replica dropped on top, Disruptor Static Storm, Invoker's Meteor and Centaur Stomp + Double Edge that's an instant win for any teamfight because of all of the sheer AOE - without a carry in sight. But that's only if you have the team to pull it off.

That's why Dota is a ridiculous game. It sets all of these specific rules on how to play, and then people ignore it and do remarkable stuff and win.

If you're a carry player, stick with the most popular ones and nail them before moving onto unusual carries. Phantom Lancer with his 4.2 agility gain per level, AntiMage with his mana break, Drow with her fucking arrows of pain, etc.

My favourite carry for example is Necrolyte. I weep tears of pain when I see him shoe-horned into a support role, but he becomes a carry by just BEING there. He has no steroid, but everything he has is geared towards killing and punishing.
    A carry Lich is one of my most favourite fuck about roles in game. take him mid instantly deny 1/4 of all xp going to your opponent (using sacrafice) proceed dominate then roam with your nuke and ult. pick a Skadi and Mjolnir. win.
  • Gunzberg 30 Jul 2013 15:32:50 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I seriously don't like Beastmaster...pets are so useless apart from for scouting purposes

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Fat_Pigeon 30 Jul 2013 15:38:14 9,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    beast master is awesome possibly one of the best ults in the game and he gets a free ward. not all that easy to play though

Edited by Fat_Pigeon at 15:39:03 30-07-2013
  • Gunzberg 30 Jul 2013 15:43:56 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He is getting a bit stronger now but still not doing it for me.

The ultimate is nice to stun and then follow up with the axes but solo not that effective from mid-game onwards I find.

• DamoVotf 30 Jul 2013 15:47:51 520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    I seriously don't like Beastmaster...pets are so useless apart from for scouting purposes
    100% agree, I find impossible to use (well).
  • Gunzberg 30 Jul 2013 15:52:19 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ok in the end he did get very useful. Just need some good items

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jul 2013 15:53:28 37,379 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Man, I probably won't get the time to play this tonight but I'm itching to jump in with another random pick.

/twitch

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• rivuzu 30 Jul 2013 15:59:52 1,051 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Gunzberg Beastmaster is actually one of the most amazing counter initiators in the game because his Roar goes through magic immunity. In that sense, he's a counter to people like Enigma who blink in and Black Hole because he can stun from a distance.

He's actually really versatile though. His axes are composite damage, meaning it works vs the Ancient camps - big money. Spam axes with soul ring at the 53 second marker to stack the camp and just farm it. His passive, Inner Beast, is a +40 aspd buff to all allies, including creeps. Get a catapult, easy towers. Go mid, easy rune control from the creeps pushing back faster than the enemy ones.

His Call of the Wild requires some micro. Being able to scout effectively with the hawk is a bit tricky, I'll admit. It's useful just for things like Roshan checking though, and Runes.

All around, he's one of the most OP heroes tbh. Not as a carry, but an initiator (blink + Roar), counter initiator, walking ward and push machine.

Edit: Side note on the pets. The boar's slow goes through magic immunity, so if you can tab-rightclick a hero to get it to focus it if they're a carry and BKB'd up, you can kite them alldayerryday. The Hawk is also amazing for aggressive play - scout their jungle, then have dive them.

Edited by rivuzu at 16:01:08 30-07-2013
  • DamoVotf 30 Jul 2013 17:02:25 520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @rivuzu I wanna play a game with you, get some hints for my own play.
  • Gunzberg 30 Jul 2013 17:21:55 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just lost in an EG match vs humans with Pugna.

Pugna sucked so hard at the beginning with his low range spells but once you have lifesteal you can always win 2vs 1 encounters.

• Fat_Pigeon 30 Jul 2013 18:34:08 9,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pugna is another great hero. He punishes high mana cost Heros like skywrath Mage with his netherward plus his nuke is great for pushing and damages towers. Not sure how often you should be solo roaming with him though. All it takes is a stun to break the life drain the dead.

By the sounds of it most of the eg newb problems come from roaming around solo after the lane phase with no escapes, or TP scrolls. there are split pushing heroes but they all generally have some way to get in and out easily like natures he has his TP ability, tinker has his ult which removes the cool down of boots of travel Etc.

Edited by Fat_Pigeon at 11:35:05 31-07-2013
  • rivuzu 30 Jul 2013 18:56:44 1,051 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Best Pugna Video Ever.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVbSzkwx-9M
    And that's why you go refresher Nether Ward.

@DamoVotf as soon as I get a stable net connection, I'll be all over playing with you guys.
    Problem is, right now, I can only play via mobile tethering which is... problematic -_-;
    So, I'm kind of stuck watching VoD's on youtube and shit and playing with Bots myself atm.
  • Gunzberg 30 Jul 2013 22:54:13 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice EG match tonight, really enjoyed that.

Huskar also suits my reckless playstyle of pure aggression

• rivuzu 30 Jul 2013 23:46:56 1,051 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, something I've been playing around with for you Spirit Breaker players. Shadow Blade.

Seems standard enough - gives attack speed and damage, two things you want. But, did you know when charging you can activate items? Even if the enemy team is ward happy, use shadow blade as you're charging and you're invis. As soon as you hit you get the greater bash damage (increased because of Shadow Blades windwalk increased movespeed) and your next auto attack also does the +150 damage extra.

According to my math, that means one charge, with your base damage taken into account for say, level 11, you'll hit them for about 500~600hp before resistances. Now add your ult, and an urn charge if you went urn.

Check out my match ID: 258331089 for an example. Turned into a bit of a stomp towards the end, but I believe that's only because of how effective we all grouped plus, Space Cow's Mighty Amazing Bullrush of Justice.
  • DamoVotf 31 Jul 2013 07:47:57 520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rivuzu wrote:
    So, something I've been playing around with for you Spirit Breaker players. Shadow Blade.

Seems standard enough - gives attack speed and damage, two things you want. But, did you know when charging you can activate items? Even if the enemy team is ward happy, use shadow blade as you're charging and you're invis. As soon as you hit you get the greater bash damage (increased because of Shadow Blades windwalk increased movespeed) and your next auto attack also does the +150 damage extra.

According to my math, that means one charge, with your base damage taken into account for say, level 11, you'll hit them for about 500~600hp before resistances. Now add your ult, and an urn charge if you went urn.

Check out my match ID: 258331089 for an example. Turned into a bit of a stomp towards the end, but I believe that's only because of how effective we all grouped plus, Space Cow's Mighty Amazing Bullrush of Justice.
    Haha I like it a lot, the space cow is my favourite char at the minute and fecking hard to counter if he gets you alone. The shadow blade will also help you proc bash more often as well with the attack speed and gives you an escape (although you can always charge away). My build is boots -> urn -> bracer -> drums -> armlet - > life steal -> bkb -> heart.

I really enjoyed the game last night it was very finely balanced right till the end. I did enjoy my save on brain when 4 came top to gank and got a golem for their trouble.

Oh and Gunz we could all see your thirst for my blood, every leap was to me! ;-)
  • mskemp85 31 Jul 2013 08:38:07 19 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    Nice EG match tonight, really enjoyed that.

Huskar also suits my reckless playstyle of pure aggression
    There was some ruthless leaping going on there. Ended up spectating the end of the game, after my dota update decided to take 35 minutes for a small patch, but was interesting to watch.
  • RedSparrows 31 Jul 2013 09:12:13 22,070 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bounty Hunter and Alchemist added to my list of likes.
  • DamoVotf 31 Jul 2013 09:30:49 520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On bounty hunter and other stealth heroes like Rikki, Id try to avoid them for the first few EG only games (especially if you got no experienced people) countering stealth takes a bit of skill and knowledge.

Better for you guys to learn to spend gold warding properly then we can teach you how to counter stealth later on.

Oh and a good hint is dont pick 2 stealth heroes for the 1 team.
  • RedSparrows 31 Jul 2013 10:28:21 22,070 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I randomed BH - it is a bit unfair given none of us are used to wards, let alone TS wards.

Really need to get wards into my way of playing, and understanding which roles are expected to buy which thing.
  • DamoVotf 31 Jul 2013 10:39:08 520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah i know you did Red, if you random you get what you given, its more a generic thing. I know someone is going to discover Rikki and dominate a game and then all hell is going to break loose.
  • mskemp85 31 Jul 2013 11:09:19 19 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Never tried Rikki, seen to many people get a lot of grief for playing him badly. On the other hand if played well in a pub game with noone warding he is unstoppable.
  • DamoVotf 31 Jul 2013 11:18:03 520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think I have 100+ games on Rikki, it takes 1 player to counter him and you are bust. But as you say if you get farm on him he becomes hard to kill until people start carrying dust or get a gem and then you need to be really fed to stay ahead.

PS. I think having that many games on Rikki makes me a douche. And my win ratio on him is sub 50%, he is a real legend or zero hero. 30-3 or 8-15 ratio.

Edited by DamoVotf at 11:20:50 31-07-2013

Edited by DamoVotf at 11:22:04 31-07-2013
  • Fat_Pigeon 31 Jul 2013 11:52:00 9,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just find Rikki so boring to play. and you can just counter pick him with Slardar and Bounty Hunter.
  • Gunzberg 31 Jul 2013 12:06:45 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tried out some other heroes late last night in bot matches including:

Ursa - quite simple to play but not as fun as say Lycanthrope

Puck - interesting, I can see how he can be very effective

Skywrath Mage - whoever said in EG chat he's a glass cannon, you're absolutely right. Pure sorcery build, if anyone gets in melee range of you you're pretty much dead, fast.

Dark Seer - first I couldn't really figure out how to employ him then I realised using the shield on creeps leads to massive gold for you. THe run away skill first seems a bit useless but boy did it save me often. The upgraded vortex is great for disrupting enemy group attacks and give your team some breathing room. And finally the wall of pretty-much-insta-death keeps the enemy team from getting too aggressive and pushing.

This guy is bloody awesome!

• LeoliansBro 31 Jul 2013 12:19:25 43,245 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tried this over the weekend. An unexpected side effect - I find getting the first post on a new EG page to now be a similar goal to getting the last hit...

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• DamoVotf 31 Jul 2013 12:22:37 520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ursa is a monster when played right, you will see lots of reference to blink dagger and shadow blade Ursa destroying whole teams.

Puck takes a lot of skill but nice char.

Skywrath is meh for me.

DS is one of the most popular chars for top end games he can hold a lane solo fairly easy, the trick is not to point the ulti ulti you have both shell and vortex at max level. Then you Ion shell yourself, wall in mid of 5 man team and vortex them all through wall, have your team pile in afterwards. Great fun.

@Fat_Pigeon I dont play rikki at all anymore either, it gets very dull.
  • DamoVotf 31 Jul 2013 12:23:29 520 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Tried this over the weekend. An unexpected side effect - I find getting the first post on a new EG page to now be a similar goal to getting the last hit...
    Its just really slow for me in work over the summer, HONEST!
  • Fat_Pigeon 31 Jul 2013 12:26:17 9,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    a great dark seer combo is to drop the wall then use vacuum them all into it. it also works great for setting up other hero ults. for example you can vacuum everyone into a nice tight cluster for enigma to drop Black hole or magnus to land RP.
  • Page

of 56 First / Last