• THFourteen 1 Nov 2012 08:33:36 33,196 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ffs I want mine now!

US delivery dates are around 23rd Nov, so ours will be even later :-(
  • CharlieStCloud 1 Nov 2012 08:40:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mine is coming tomorrow 'between eight o'clock and midday' ...

... it is not for me (to open) though!
  • yegon 1 Nov 2012 08:53:33 5,218 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Ffs I want mine now!

US delivery dates are around 23rd Nov, so ours will be even later :-(
    Not necessarily, Apple seem to divide their allocations. I half expect the 3G's a little earlier than advertised. Besides, thought you'd ordered a wifi also :)
  • THFourteen 1 Nov 2012 09:08:33 33,196 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i have but thats for sale :-(

or return.
  • yegon 1 Nov 2012 09:18:26 5,218 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    i have but thats for sale :-(

or return.
    Bah, you've already got an iPad, you can wait :). Saying that, when I see someone using one on the train I'll be well jell.

Oh god, I actually said well jell, apologies.
  • Moot_Point 1 Nov 2012 18:14:34 3,983 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    @Moot_Point

Do it! You'll regret it otherwise.
    There may be no choice but to get the 64Gb. There is a lot of interest at my local Apple shop, so that may be all that's left by the time i get there. The shop assistant said they were being sold on a 'first come, first served' basis. No preorder available in-store.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• yegon 2 Nov 2012 07:18:33 5,218 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So which of you wee basts will be the first to legitimately live up to the thread title? Gotta wait impatiently till late Nov for my 3G, I thought I had a handle on it but knowing people will be taking delivery of there's today has set my teeth gnashing.
  • THFourteen 2 Nov 2012 07:47:37 33,196 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My wifi should be in hand by the end of the day.

I'm tempted to open it, play with it for a week and then return it... i feel guilty trying to sell it for more than its worth.
  • KayJay 2 Nov 2012 08:04:23 5,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm going to head over to Amazingstoke on Sunday and chance my arm.
  • Deleted user 2 November 2012 08:46:31
    THFourteen wrote:
    i feel guilty trying to sell it for more than its worth.
    Why ? Apple don't worry about that !

; )
  • THFourteen 2 Nov 2012 12:16:22 33,196 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got one in hand!

looks like the going rate on gumtree is about £320, and thats assuming anyone is buying them (there are a lot of specualtive ones up for £350+ lol)

hmmmm £50 quid or play with it this weekend...

fuck it i am going to open it up.
  • speedofthepuma 2 Nov 2012 12:20:53 13,283 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played with one today, my friend got it.

Very nice in the hand I have to say, did make me wonder about it, but it is still a completely excessive product in my household, so no chance really.

Edited by speedofthepuma at 12:21:15 02-11-2012

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• mrpon 2 Nov 2012 12:24:30 28,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• PrivateFloyd 2 Nov 2012 12:51:48 4,116 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got mine on my desk,

first impressions.

How light it is. Going from the iPad 3 it feels slightly heavier than my kindle. This is one of the main reasons for getting one so I'm glad its as light as what i hoped.

Screen size. It only feels slightly smaller than the iPad. And I cant figure out whether i see this is a pro or con for the device seeing as its called the iPad mini. It's the weight that sets it apart it really is. I havnt once felt the icons are too small and the keyboard is still just as easy to type on.

Screen resolution. Held up next to my iPhone 4 I think the resolution is comparable when taking into account you will view the mini from further away. Everything appears crisp. Its obvious to everyone though that the new iPad pisses all over it.

General aesthetics. It's gorgeous. I went for the black/slate so it looks like an enlarged iPhone 5. Apple imo are really untouched in terms of product design and making everything feel so refined and solid.

Have no comment so far on processing power however safari seems as snappy as the normal ipad. I have not had chance to test any apps out.

What has impressed me most is the weight with the combined feeling that it a very small step down in screen size. the ability to hold in one hand for long periods of time (like the kindle) is something that made me want one.

Goat is hungry.....

• mrpon 2 Nov 2012 12:56:32 28,763 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it a bit slippy one handed? (fnar etc..)

Edited by mrpon at 13:08:15 02-11-2012

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• KayJay 2 Nov 2012 13:15:44 5,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd Thanks for that PF. Just called the Reading store (they have stock) so i'm going to head over there after work this evening. Can't wait until Sunday. I need it... :)
  • THFourteen 2 Nov 2012 13:39:22 33,196 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this thing is fantastic. Downloading FIFA, Dead Trigger and Broken Sword 2 right now.

its a little wider than i thought though... wonder if it will fit in my coat pocket.
  • lordofdeadside 2 Nov 2012 15:15:59 1,108 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's really a lovely device, like folks have said the design & build quality are top notch. The thing that have impressed me most so far are is how thin it is, it feels like a step up delivering an iPad with these dimensions.

Had it side by side with and iPad2 and a nexus7 at work and it looks much closer to the nexus than the ipad. The nexus is definitely sharper, but unless you really look closely there's little difference, the colours look better on the mini too.
  • monkman76 2 Nov 2012 15:18:06 4,176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How does it compare in general (other than screen) to the Nexus?
  • Deleted user 2 November 2012 15:19:33
    Frustratingly, just had a windfall and have an extra £220. Sooo close to picking up a mini.

However, the funds will be allocated to kids Christmas gifts, rather than my impending birthday.

/best Dad
  • CharlieStCloud 2 Nov 2012 16:00:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got mine!

My first immediate reaction was that the display is not very good ... : (

Granted, the screen does look bright and vivid, but even from arms stretching distance, it looks ... not that great. I must say, the weight and thinness is nice as well as the design and materials used.

It's not for me though as it is a Christmas present.
  • Fake_Blood 2 Nov 2012 16:04:09 4,169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's a nice looking device, the screen is the same res as the ipad 2 iirc, but smaller, so it looks a bit sharper, but at the default zoom level in safari the text was just a little too small for my 30yo eyes. Was very tempted, but can't justify it as I already own a mbp and ip4S.
  • lordofdeadside 2 Nov 2012 16:04:48 1,108 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @monkman76 I've not used the nexus for any great period of time, but browsing feels about the same speed. The weight and extra thickness of the Nexus is really noticeable though. I prefer the aspect ration of the iPad, but thats a personal preference tbh.
  • THFourteen 2 Nov 2012 16:05:43 33,196 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @bdaggers

Awwwww dude :(

but also :)
  • ElNino9 2 Nov 2012 17:21:10 13,372 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a little play on one of these earlier and I really am impressed. Much, much thinner and lighter than the iPad 2 I currently have and the screen isn't that much smaller down to it not having the bloody great borders that the full size iPads around the screen.

Very tempted to trade the iPad 2 in for one of these.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Moot_Point 2 Nov 2012 17:23:36 3,983 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I went out lunchtime with my £430 in hand, but they had sold out. :cry:

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Deleted user 2 November 2012 18:33:32
    Thanks @thfourteen
  • yegon 2 Nov 2012 18:54:04 5,218 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds great.

You have to think the next big iPad will follow similar principles. Judging by your reactions and my gut feeling about the size, couldn't give a monkeys about the full size iPad from here, it'll be mini all the way I'm guessing. Absence of retina is a minus, but everything else sounds awesome, and spendthrift that I am I'll ditch v1 the moment a crazy high res one appears.

I find myself checking my order every day, in the vain hope it'll say a specific date, but still stuck at late Nov', boooo!
  • Benno 2 Nov 2012 20:29:26 9,843 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have just picked one of these up impulsively from my local PC World

its verrrry nice

unbelievably light

I am coming from a first gen iPad though so i imagine the differences are more pronounced
  • BryanAKADJ 3 Nov 2012 01:27:10 284 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thinking about getting myself one, just might do for myself as a birthday gift next month. Just gave my iPad (1st gen) to my mom for her birthday. This would seem like a nice little replacement for it.

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• Page

of 23 First / Last