Getting a dog Page 2

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• 4gate 29 Sep 2012 13:15:10 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't get one that 'wouldn't hurt a fly', because whenever a child gets their face ripped off, it is invariably that type that did it.
  • sirtacos 29 Sep 2012 14:02:57 7,333 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fair points Aaron. We're waiting several months anyway for the dog and cat so we'll give it some more thought.
  • elstoof 29 Sep 2012 14:41:20 7,809 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Get a tamagotchi while you weigh things up.
  • RobAnybody 29 Sep 2012 16:50:00 930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:

Anyway it looks like we'll be getting a puppy then.
    A puppy should be more of a blank slate, as you've all helpfully pointed out. I'll stay away from breeders and pet shops, though. I want a rescue even if it means more hassle.
    Definitely stay away from pet shops - breeders can be okay if you do your research.

A rescue pup should be fine, but again do your research on the place that you're getting it from and be sure that the place has a good health record (no kennel cough, etc).

Also, male or female? If male, do you want to get him castrated? If female, do you want to have her spayed? If you decide to keep them 'intact', think of how the dog will handle (some uncastrated males can be problematic, while unspayed females are usually fine ........ until the time she accidentally becomes pregnant!).

Note: I've always had male dogs and have NEVER had them castrated (it seems wrong to me to put a healthy animal under the knife unless it's really necessary) - but so far, no great problems ............ except a bit more of a stubborn attitude when a bitch is in season in the area.

Edited by RobAnybody at 16:50:52 29-09-2012
  • elstoof 29 Sep 2012 22:03:03 7,809 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apart from humping your pillows when you're out the house ;-)
  • sirtacos 29 Sep 2012 22:52:55 7,333 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd rather get a female, just because they don't have a tendency to lick their throbbing red members in front of the whole family.

And I'd get her spayed, yeah. I probably won't have to, since around here, all the dog shelters I've looked at automatically spay and neuter everyone.
  • RobAnybody 30 Sep 2012 16:13:58 930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Apart from humping your pillows when you're out the house ;-)
    Nahhhh, only one of mine has humped anything, and that's his own large sleeping cushion (and even then it's only occasionally). :)
  • RobAnybody 30 Sep 2012 16:17:44 930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    I'd rather get a female, just because they don't have a tendency to lick their throbbing red members in front of the whole family.

I guess that depends on the dog - over the years I've owned a few dogs and not one of them has displayed the slightest interest in licking his supposedly throbbing red member (and do bear in mind that it's not that common for any dogs to actually display said member, let alone lick it - at least, not in my experience). :)
  • Deleted user 30 September 2012 16:58:04
    @ElNino9 yeah after a ton of research i decided against a husky for that very reason. Samoyed is a cousin to the husky but much easier to train apparently.
  • Stickman 30 Sep 2012 17:29:06 29,666 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Staffs have a bad rep but my family have had a few (including myself)
    They've trained you pretty well on the keyboard. Kudos.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• eleven63 1 Oct 2012 08:18:34 1,609 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 13:11:31
    I would definitely encourage getting a rescue dog. Yes a lot are there because of behavioural reasons, but many are there for reasons out of their control. Family breakups, moving to another country, can not afford the dog anymore, death etc. There are some fantastic dogs in rescues up and down the country, if I could afford another I would get one ASAP!

Good luck whichever way you choose to go though.
  • ronuds 3 Oct 2012 13:30:31 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    @ElNino9 yeah after a ton of research i decided against a husky for that very reason. Samoyed is a cousin to the husky but much easier to train apparently.
    My friend has a Samoyed since he was a pup and has had no problems at all. I'm extremely jealous too because the thing doesn't shed and it has all that fur!
  • Razz 3 Oct 2012 13:33:42 61,423 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't get one unless you work from home, it's very difficult having a dog if you work full time out of the house, a large chunk of your free time is spent looking after them. I love my dog, but she pretty much killed my social life during the latter half of my 20's :/

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• ronuds 3 Oct 2012 13:40:55 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It helps if you have a kind family member who can take the dog whenever. Having a puppy and working full time is tough, though.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 08:04:55
    Fucking hell what it shit couple of days. We are trying to get her used to being by herself but she just can't manage it. I know she is young (9 weeks), I know we need to be tougher, but she just panics like made and cries for hours straight. And my word is she loud. I've been sleeping on the floor beside the crate just to reassure her while she is locked in but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Her first day (3 hours) alone was yesterday. We made a safe play area, barricaded half the kitchen so she had room to wander but in theory nothing to hurt herself on. Left her crate in there with her bed. Came home at 11 and found her dangling from the crate upside down in agony. I feel sick and fucking upset thinking about it. She had obviously climbed up and got her foot stuck and then fell of the side and just hung there. She couldn't walk or move her back leg at all. Rushed her to the vet and they sedated her and did some X-rays. Gave us some pain relief and asked us to monitor her +(cost a fucking bomb). She is trying to put weight on it but her actual paw is just folded over so I'm worried that is going to heal squint. Trying to restrict her to rest but she just wants to bark and roam I feel fucking awful. Absolutely fucking awful and I'm sick with worry that her leg won't get better properly. This puppy has so much energy but it feels impossible to expel any of it as she can't go for walks (until she completes her vaccinations) and now we can't even play with her in the house despite her best efforts.

How the fuck do people do this?! I see people with 5+ dogs at times. We did so much prep and reading before hand but fucking hell this is hard. Missus is having a breakdown over it. We love her so damn much but she needs to learn to entertain herself for more than five minutes.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 10:01:18
    I think she ate it.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 10:03:46
    Please don't have children.
  • Benno 10 Nov 2012 10:13:13 10,112 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aww that poor dog :(
  • Adamical 10 Nov 2012 10:30:26 314 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've wanted a dog for a large part of my 26 years on this earth, but alas I've never had one. Just never had the time/money to allow it.

Sucks really, because I see people all happy with their dogs and I'm like FUCK YOU.
  • AaronTurner 10 Nov 2012 10:36:33 7,789 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They just aren't easy to look after. My dog is at the other end of her life span now and is more difficult than a puppy. Think poor control over shitting, mental confusion, noisy at night, destructive behavior. Its difficult.
  • Deleted user 10 November 2012 10:44:38
    Benno wrote:
    Aww that poor dog :(
    I know :(

Fucking heartbreaking despite the fact that she is as bright, alert and hyper as ever!
  • Fatiguez 10 Nov 2012 11:01:03 8,750 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think getting a family dog would be really good foresight on your part, Fruit.

show me your tits u bitch from ubisoft

• Lukus 10 Nov 2012 11:05:47 19,288 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You need one of those big rescue dogs that carry around barrels of alcohol on their collars, Fruit.

Paintings & Photographs

• MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Nov 2012 11:13:47 38,897 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    St. Bernard.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Lukus 10 Nov 2012 11:19:45 19,288 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aye, one of them, it could prove useful.

Paintings & Photographs

• RobAnybody 10 Nov 2012 11:23:47 930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mowgli - so sorry to hear about your puppy woes - that must have been awful for the poor pup, and very distressing for you and your wife.

I would advise taking it to the vets for more advice on the paw if there's no improvement in a day or two - the pup will be growing fast; puppy bones are very soft as a result of this so you don't want any long-term damage setting in. If you have a really good vet then they should be able to advise accordingly (perhaps even splint the paw temporarily??? Maybe even some tendons were torn?).

I HATE crates - they just seem cruel to me. Also, they're not puppy friendly - a few years ago one of my pups got his lower jaw caught between the bars of a crate (sideways! - puppies do love to chew) - thankfully I was close at hand both times (yes, he did it twice) and was able to very gently ease his jaw out from between the bars. Hence my hatred of crates.

Note: The crate was recommended by the breeder.

Note2: Some breeders, even if they are well regarded, sometimes give some rubbish advice.

In short - don't use the crate.

Edited by RobAnybody at 11:29:35 10-11-2012
  • Page

of 10 First / Last