Super Mario Kart (SNES) Tournament @ Replay Retro Zone (Saturday 29th Sep)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • SamiCetin 26 Sep 2012 13:29:44 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hello all,

I have been discussing with the Replay team and similar to last year we will be hosting another Super Mario Kart (SNES) Tournament at the Replay Retro Zone. This will be held on the Saturday 29th September.

Last year we had a large number of entries even though I advertised a bit last minute (again!) but it was enjoyed by all who took part. Super Mario Kart celebrates its 20th Anniversary this year and there are still several Tournament events on this classic game around the globe :)

Just a quick rundown on the format:

From 11am - 11:30am onwards on saturday, visitors will be able to find us in the Replay Retro Zone and register for the Super Mario Kart Qualifying round.

The Qualifying round will be a supervised one try attempt at a Time Trial Mode track (to be chosen on the day, it will be a relatively easy one). We can have as many people as we want to enter this phase, so do let everyone know. If the TVs are free you may have a brief bit of practice but if there is a queue of people waiting please do your one try promptly.

We will record the scores in a database, and cut off the qualifying phase at around 2:30 - 3:00pm (TBA), then the Top 16 players with the fastest times will enter a Tournament Bracket for a 2 Player Match Race Playoff.

The Match Race playoff will feature the first to win x number of races for the Final 16, the winners will advance to the Quarter Finals for more races, then Semi's then the Final. A 3rd place match can also be done for fun for those in the Semi's who couldn't reach the final (optional).

Please ensure that if you are called up for the Top 16, that we can can begin promptly to finish the Tournament on time. If we are unable to find any members of the Top 16, then their positions will be forfeited and offered to those at 17th / 18th / 19th etc.

As an exhibition / additional match when the Tournament is done, I will also set up a challenge for the winner where they can race vs me on all tracks while I issue very generous head starts. If the candidate can win more than half of the tracks before I catch up then an extra prize will be given.

We look forward to see you there on Saturday, come and find us in the Replay Retro Zone around 11:30am. There will also be lots of other Retro Games in the vicinity to play for fun :)

Best Regards,

Sami Cetin

Edited by SamiCetin at 13:30:39 26-09-2012

Edited by SamiCetin at 13:46:35 26-09-2012
  • Load_2.0 26 Sep 2012 14:32:40 19,354 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bump, just to say that although I won't be going to the Expo if I was I would smash everyone to piece at MK.

And you can keep the head start.

Edited by Load_2.0 at 14:33:35 26-09-2012
  • SamiCetin 26 Sep 2012 15:18:38 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Load_2.0

Unfortunate you cant make it mate, would be good to see some challengers.

The head start exhibition match is just for fun at the end, and not part of the main tournament.

There are other events which we will be attending in and outside London so hopefully there'll be an opportunity then.
  • Load_2.0 26 Sep 2012 16:21:42 19,354 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah unfortunately the Expo is the same date as a Mario Kart open tournament in Yonsei University in Seoul so I can't be at both.
  • SamiCetin 26 Sep 2012 17:19:45 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Load_2.0

Sounds like fun, but wasnt that on 19th August on Mario Kart 7? This one is the original SNES version. We just came back from the World Championships in France last month, they've put quite a few vids on youtube. We never found any Korean players for the original though, furthest i got was visiting one of the Top Japanese in April this year.

Look out for the jet lag if you are flying out that far, might be better to attend this one in the end :D

Edited by SamiCetin at 17:29:45 26-09-2012
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next